The rise of the occult, discussing paganism and its many branches.

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Katana_Geldar, Mar 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damien666 Jedi Knight

star 3
    We're not supposed to talk about religion in here, but when someone attacks my faith then I think I have the right to defend it. The christians from that site are not following God's own law.

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you. (Matthew 5:44)

They are hypocrites.
  2. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    I'm sorry, Sith, but the actions of a few do not represent everyone, and that goes for any profession or religion.
  3. Psychotic_Sith Jedi Knight

star 3
    This thread is not about Christianity. Keep it on topic.
  4. Guinastasia Force Ghost

star 6
    TECHNICALLY, I read somewhere, that the definition of paganism is any religion that doesn't stem from the Judaism-Christianity-Islam triology.

I don't think I qualify as a "pagan" though-I believe in a God, but that's pretty much it. I think God is more of a metaphysical thing, not a "Supreme Being", but oh, kind of the like the Light Side of the Force, if you will excuse the analogy.

Most religions are just different ways of worshipping God.

Does that make sense?

5. GrandAdmiralJello Emperor: Community & Lit

Manager
    star 10
    TECHNICALLY, I read somewhere, that the definition of paganism is any religion that doesn't stem from the Judaism-Christianity-Islam triology.

Teechnically, it's any religion that Rome doesn't follow. When Rome worshipped the Olympian gods (along with their own traditional cults), anyone else (including Jews and Christians) was considered pagan. Now that Rome is Catholic, that means that the religions stemming from Catholicism (namely, every Christian sect) are no longer pagan, but all others are.

It's a vague term, really, and meaningless in the modern sense. It only really meant something to the Ancient Romans.
  6. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    I don't think I qualify as a "pagan" though-I believe in a God, but that's pretty much it. I think God is more of a metaphysical thing, not a "Supreme Being", but oh, kind of the like the Light Side of the Force, if you will excuse the analogy.

you would be defined as a panthiest, and it can be a christian thing as well as a pagan. organised religion in a way puts things in boxes and i don't agree with that.

EDIT: Sith and Damien, if you are not going to contibute to the discussion then i suggest you don't come to this thread anymore. I do agree if someone is having a go at you that you should defend yourself, but there is a diference between that and shooting someone down for the slightest bit of criricism.

I see you promoting christianity as a form of spamming, it is not on topic.
  7. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    I'm upping this thread again as it has lain dormat for about a month and hopefully the flames have long gone.

lets talk about a safe topic now, tarot.

i practice tarot, i have a deck i picked up cheap. not the rider-waite deck but pretty similar.

yet divination is the lower form or tarot, the major arcana shows the various stages of a journey. the fool being the start and the world being the end.

the devil card is not satan as some say, rather it shows materialism in its lowest form
  8. go-away Jedi Master

star 4
    I've always found Tarot interesting, but only used it on a personal scale for guidance rather than as a form of divination. The Major Arcana are what I tend to focus on since they are much more simplistic than the Minor Arcana.

I like to think that divination systems are tools for accessing the unconscious and subconscious areas of the mind.
  9. byrdnest Jedi Knight

star 1
    just for the record, a pagan was considered a person from the country worshipping nature gods. check the origin of the word. roman church associated devil worship with this term to make it less than desirable.

as for the tarot, i practice it as well. it has never been wrong. when i read for other people i dont even ask what their question was. that keeps me honest. i can even read for people who arent there with me. i have had people think of a question like friends online or the phone and i think of them and transmute their question into the reading. its weird.
  10. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    that's what i do, i try to guess the question but i am still learning.

tarot has shown me more than once to be reliable, though it shoes me more to think about than influencing my desicion directly.

i did a reading yesterday and i got death and the world in the same spread, death still frightens me at times though its intention can be good in the end.
  11. LottDodd Force Ghost

star 4
    A Pagan is Someone who worships the old Gods while Remaining Unaware of Monotheism. Once you have heard about Christ, according to old Catholic Doctrine, You are no longer truly a pagan. They are no longer unaware, they have made a choice. Usually this ups the former pagans to Simple Heretics...
  12. Genrader Jedi Knight

star 3
    Anyone want to try Tarot reading on me? AIM s/n is Genrader ;)
  13. Blue_Jedi33 Force Ghost

star 5
    I am curious to ask how people in this thread view the "ARK OF HOPE" and the "THE EARTH CHARTER" that it houses, in it.
  14. SWJaggy Jedi Master

star 4
    I had a question. I have been wanting to practice tarot for a long while now unfortunately I can't as I live in a Catholic household and my parents wouldn't like it. My question is does tarot really work?
  15. dizfactor Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    My question is does tarot really work?

define "work." what do you want to use it for? what do you think it will do?

people have a lot of misconceptions about what the Tarot does. they think it's going to tell them "oh, you're going to meet a dark-haired man and he's going to give you a package, and the package will have a million dollars in it" or "don't go to the beach on Sunday or you'll die" something like that.

that's not really the way it works in my experience. the Tarot has always told me what i needed to hear. what it does, really, in my experience, is tap into a lot of subconscious imagery and archetypal forms, and give your subconscious a chance to look at your life and the challenges in front of you from another perspective. it's more about psychology than anything supernatural.

at least, that's how it works for me. YMMV. i would suggest getting a deck to fool around with and keeping your parents in the dark.
  16. SWJaggy Jedi Master

star 4
    Let me try and rephrase my question. How does tarot work and what is it meant to do/accomplish?
  17. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    Tarot is like a mirror, is shows a reflection of your life at a particular moment. Tarot gives you answers and options but it goves you more to think about rather than direcly answering your question.

Things work if you beleive they do, Tarot works for me because some of the predictions I have made come true and I get a very accurate portrait of a person when I am doing a reading for them. It's quite scary actually esp if i hardly know them at all.

Tarot can never be exact, nor is it 100% accurate. If I make a prediction I tell the personb that this might happen is events keep going on the same course.

Always in motion the future is

Reading Tarot in order to make a decision can be quite misguiding if you keep this in mind. Anyone heard of the butterfly effect? (not the film as i haven't seen it) The actions we take influence our lives in ways we cannot begin to imagine. That's how Tarot can be misinterpreted, if a Tarot reader or psychic says that something is going to happen they are lying! If they charge you ask for your money back as there is no 100% sure way of knowing what will happen until it already has.

In conculsion i view Tarot cards as giving you something more to think about, they show the forces at work, what is influencing you and offer a few hints (i can't emephasis hints more) on what may happen. If you decide to act upon what you read the results that you have seen are not always guarenteed. After all, who know that you are acting in the exact way the cards say? Tarot is never precise, nor should it be.

Blessed be
  18. AlrikFassbauer Jedi Master

star 4
    Just hopping in and out ;) ) (but I plan to bookmark this interesting thread ...) :

Technically I'm christian, and I surely believ in The Creator, what or whoever this might be.

Apart from that I'v had my own influences, especially Reiki, and Huna. That definitively expanded my universe, so to say. ;)

Alrik.
  19. RedHanded_Jill Jedi Master

star 4
    i am christian and dont see tarot interferring with that. tarot is a way to help me understand the choiced i make/dont make. it isnt some satanic force that guidesthe cards. i guide them.
  20. AlrikFassbauer Jedi Master

star 4
    Let me try and rephrase my question. How does tarot work and what is it meant to do/accomplish?

To me, Tarot is like asking the ku according to Huna. To me, it's like the ku answering my questions, and the answrs of ku (which is something like then "unconscious part" of the inner self) can answer only according to the information ku has gathered. The more information, the better. According to Huna, this might also imply telepathy with evrything, not just humans, but also animals and things, with *everything* This sort of telepathy also runs in our unconscious part of our inner selves.

So, the answer ku says is only as good as the amount of information (especially about this specific question) ku has gathered, and it's not perfect. ;)

That's my personal view of it. ;)

By the way, here's an very interesting text about the beliefs of of the Maya (both ancient and contemporary (at least partly) (in PDF format) :

BASSIE, KAREN
    2002 Maya Creator Gods. Mesoweb: www.mesoweb.com/features/bassie/CreatorGods/CreatorGods.pdf

21. That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    As a Christo-Gnosti-Paga-Mystic, I've done a fair bit of study into Paganism and like some things, while not fully embracing others. And by like, I mean make sense of.
    But, as I'm a fairly private person when it comes to my beliefs, if anyone has any qs, feel free to PM me. :)
  22. motisfortiva Jedi Knight

star 2
    do as thou will, and it harm none.
  23. Hungry_Ghost Jedi Knight

star 2
  24. darthtuttle Force Ghost

star 4
    What makes a religion a cult?
  25. Kit' Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Any religion can be a *cult* the word is so misused by the media and the community that it really has lost all meaning. Most pagan religions are not cults.

A cult usually:

* Has a charismatic leader
    * Asks its members to relinquish various material things in order to stay within the cult.
    * Has a particular place in which all people live/work
    * Has beliefs which fall both within and outside of mainstream ideas

As you can see the defintion is so vague it could be applied to anything.

Kit
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.