main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The rising trend of charging for DLC you have already

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by majorlynch, Nov 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Just out of curiousity but... How do you know the DLC is already on the disk? Your link says nothing of the sort. And it's $1 for a new character skin pack. That sounds like it's more than one skin. But who cares about skins anyway?

2. majorlynch

majorlynch Jedi Master star 1

Apr 7, 2010
    Hi Darth-Lando,
    Um, have you read what this thread is about?

In its first entry I link to a story about the PC version of FU2 already having the DLC on it.
    So its a logical assumption that the ps3/xbox360 has those files also. Why make console users download them, but not pc users?

Also I was replying to an assumption that the new level would be $1, it won't be.

The point is, why not make it FREE DLC.
    Since its being sold as an add-on to a short game that files like its missing huge chunks.
    And since its short length is pissing off alot of fans.

3. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    No, I've been replying to this thread several times without reading a word.

I've learned it's best not to get heated over assumptions like that. I'd wait for reports once people actually buy it to see if it downloaded anything or not. Maybe the reason it wasn't released in the first place was because the console versions weren't ready in time? I've already discussed in this thread how publishers don't care as long as they meet their release date.
    Thanks for clarifying what you meant though. I just thought there was new information considering how angry you still seem to be about it.

Microsoft frowns on free DLC over XBL. I don't know Sony's stance. The only free DLC I've ever seen on XBL has always been small and with no new achievements. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that any DLC that adds more achievement points (which in turn makes it more likely that people will download it) to a game is required to cost you. It's why Valve has never updated the console versions of TF2 on The Orange Box. Microsoft won't let them do it for free and they don't want to rip off the consumer. Not that any of this matters because LucasArts doesn't have a track record of being generous to it's customers at all.

4. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Has Lucasarts actually confirmed it is DLC content? If not, then it's pure speculation. So someone found some superfluous files in the game's directory. So what? It could be unfinished content that the devs didn't have time to finish and couldn't be bothered to remove.

5. JediKnight20043

JediKnight20043 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 18, 2004
    Check my last post for a link in the TFU2 thread. It's confirmed.

6. majorlynch

Apr 7, 2010
    Respectfully, you've just made a classic blunder in any discussion.
    Pointing out the person is getting "heated up" and bravely not doing so yourself,
    Saying the person is angry (and so must not be thinking clearly).
    Its completely off topic and the sign of a weak argument.

No, Darth-Lando, just cause I'm disagreeing with you is not a sign I'm "heated up".
    Surprised maybe, disappointed at most.

But just to lighting things up here is zero punctations excellent review of FU2.
    (Please don't confuse his humor with bouts of uncontrolled rage Darth Lando)

Funny review

Anyway, I'm totally okay with waiting until the DLC comes out to determine how much was downloaded onto the console versions.
    Feel free to add the download amount here and we can discuss it and the price charged.

I've been buying Lucasarts games Since Star Wars A New Hope on the NES.
    I've seen it go from innovative to award winning to short games to DLC rip-offs.
    And I just think the video game market is getting sick of Lucasarts games.

Perhaps you need to be with the company for a while to be disappointed with short games that can't get an average review over 6.5,followed by DLC thats obviously on the disk.

The Old Repuplic will now be a much harder sell to anyone who played FU2.

Customers will remember that DLC was available lightning quick for FU2.
    Why would they expect different from the next Lucasarts game?

Oh and one look at www.lucasarts.com confirms the DLC.

7. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    :rolleyes:Ignoring your opening hypocrisy... But I did enjoy your use of the "parent defense". "I'm not mad, just disappointed." [face_laugh]Sorry mom.
    We're all well aware of Yahtzee's review style here, thanks. There's a Zero Punctuation thread around here somewhere but I don't think it's been updated in some time.

Well you won't get that information from me. I don't own the game, nor will I buy it. I actually research games before I make purchases instead of blindly buying everything with a Star Wars logo on it and then acting all offended when it sucks. I mean after playing the first godawful Force Unleashed why would anyone with a brain think the sequel would be any better? [face_laugh]

And I've been playing them since "Loom" and "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure". What's your point?
    We all have.
    I can't speak for anyone but myself but I'm not necessarily sick of the games, just the practices of the company. I would gladly play a quality star wars game again. If LA bother to make one...

If you're actually trying to imply that you're some sort of expert cuz (and I'm paraphrasing here) "I've played more Star Wars than yooooooooooou"...wow...just wow. And who game FU2 a 6.5? That sounds about six points to high. :p

FU2 has NOTHING to do with TOR. For one, it's being developed by Bioware, not LucasArts. The only thing LA has to do with TOR is licencing the Star Wars IP. Another is that it's an MMO not some crappy hack n slash action/adventure game. An MMO that will have hundreds of hours of gameplay. Even if 95% of that gameplay is mindnumbingly boring grinding it will already be an improvement over the Force Unleashed series.

And if you think people are only just now starting to get fed up with LA well I welcome you to what...five? Six, seven years ago? I became disillusioned with them a long time ago (and ironically enough NOT in a galaxy far far away, because all the games that LucasArts makes you know, suck now). I haven't enjoyed a LucasArts developed game since Racer. Even some of their non in-house games like KOTOR II have been MAJOR disappointments.

If you're still refering to TOR then I hope they do! MMOs need a constant flow of new content to become fresh and keep people playing. If not, they get stale and people quit. You can't compare MMOs to regular games. They don't play by the same rules. It's like going to a hockey game and being shocked and offended that they only play three periods. Not four quarters like football.:p

Look dude, most of what you say I agree with. I've just been playing Devil's Advocate a little. I tend to take the counter argument far too often. Even when I don't necessarily agree with it. [fa

8. majorlynch

Apr 7, 2010
    Personal attacks? Well hardly my intention, sorry you felt that way.

Oh now you're bringing mom's into it, classy!!

Anyone who read that would know that I'm disappointed with LUCASARTS, which you though I was "angry" with, not YOU.

Won't get any information from you, gotcha!

Sequels have been known to improve.
    Assassins Creed 2
    Half life 2
    Uncharted 2
    Onimusha 2
    Red Faction 2
    Terminator 3 The Redemption

I'm hardly "without a brain", for thinking it would be at least as good.
    Also I rented it, because I wouldn't spend 60 bucks on a game without checking the review first.
    Anyone who buys a star wars game after Republic Heroes without checking a review is bound for disappointment
    (again in Lucasarts, not you)

So now you're putting words in my mouth and reacting badly to those made up words. Let me know the next made up thing I say. Hope its clever.

Course all I was saying was I have experience with the classic games, not that you don't.

You think that no-one who got burned on FU2 or the last few lukewarm games will just say "screw star wars" or "screw Lucasarts"?
    The Lucasarts Logo will still be on the game and in your face once you load the game.
    Plus loads of the people who buy the games aren't video game fans who could tell the software companies apart and read these forums.
    They'll associate "Star Wars" with "waste of money" pretty quickly.

Oh well I suppose if people were frustrated seven years ago we should all shut our mouths.

9. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    But Assasins Creed, Half-Life, Uncharted, and Red Faction are not known for being bad games. (I never played or payed attention to Onimusha and is "Terminator 3 The Redemtion" even a sequel or is it a video game tie-in?) Force Unleashed is known for it's suckitude. Metacritic ranks the various versions across all platforms in the 61-73 range. Half-Life on the other hand gets a 96. Comparing FU to HL is like comparing apples to...well, some sort of super fruit that everyone loves.
    I'm sure you can find people who will agree with you on that. For the most part I'm one of them. I do have high hopes for The Old Republic though. But that's because of Bioware and their track record. LucasArts isn't even doing the publishing and marketing for this game, EA is.

Anyway, back on topic. I found an interesting blog post that takes a look at on-disc DLC The author raises some good points both for and against on-disc DLC. The highlight is his 5 commandments for DLC:

1. Thou Shalt Not Turn Into DLC What Should Be In The Full Game
    2. Thou Shalt Not Draw Undue Attention To DLC I Have Not Bought (I?m Looking At Thou, Dragon Age: Origins)
    3. Thou Shalt Not Make DLC That Unfairly Splits The Player Base
    4. Thou Shalt Not Make Sort-Of Rubbish DLC Just Because You Have To
    5. Thou Shalt Not Exploit Your Fan Base By Overcharging For DLC

10. majorlynch

Apr 7, 2010
    Well Terminstor Redemption was a sequelish to the awful Terinator 3 game, which was so awful if it had a name it would be Awful A. Awful.

Thanks, I like these.

11. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Speaking as someone who won't (can't) buy TOR in the foreseeable future, here are just a few reasons why, TOR isn't on my buy list:

1) KOTOR2 was rushed out to meet the street date. 10 bucks says TOR gets the same deal. Plus side to this is that any unfinished content can be patched or expanded on later unlike KOTOR2. Downside is that much like TFU2's upcoming content, players would more than likely have to pay for it.
    2) TOR abandons it's roots. By that, I mean it started a single player game and was to be a trilogy. KOTOR1 and KOTOR2 both set that up. And now the trilogy has to be resolved as an MMO. Some issues with that:
    a) Many of the gamers were Xbox owners and not PC gamers. So if they don't have a gaming PC, no resolution for them.
    b) Many of those PC gamers have shoddy internet or slower processors. Not a big issue for single player when it was just them. But now that it is an MMO, that's a big issue to try to fix. And for some, it will require a brand new machine.
    3) Bioware/EA/Lucasarts will have some type of pay to play. Now, that in itself is perfectly reasonable. And for Dragon Age at least, we know that we can get some good content. However, even bioware has halfbaked content (see Witch Hunt as one example). We've also seen how Star Wars MMOs have been handled with Galaxies. Now, to a 'true' gamer, they will know the difference between companies. But tell me, do you expect the average fan to care who the developer is?

The issue is that Lucasarts and their partners for the last decade have given us a mixed bag of games. Some have been fantastic. Some have been acceptable. But many have been rushed, incomplete and overpriced. And TFU2 is the latest in that line.

Those who were already jaded, have no reason to suddenly change their mind about TOR. Those who weren't jaded but were on their way, certainly are now thanks to TFU2. And so some potential customers will think twice before spending more money on a Star Wars game.

Lucasarts has treated its customers and Star Wars fans in general very poorly overall for years. Battlefront, KOTOR and now TFU. If it were not abundantly clear that the only thing they care about from us was our cash, than TFU2 certainly hammered that point home loud and clear. And so, many of us are going to do the only thing we can to get our frustration with lucasarts and star wars games in general noticed: We're going to stop buying their product

12. GreyJedi23

GreyJedi23 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 16, 2010
    Bravo sir. =D= After being severely disappointed with FU2, I am not optimistic regarding TOR, and like you said it may very well go down the path of KOTOR 2, which IMO was the most rushed and incomplete SW game ever, that sadly could've been so much better. The most frustrating part of KOTOR 2 rushed schedule issue was that after being released, Obsidian wanted to release a patch to restore the cut content, and for reasons only lord Cthulhu knows, Lucasarts said NO.

13. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002

I haven't read much of this thread, but from what I gathered, this above post pretty much sums up it up.

But to take a step back for a moment, the gaming companies are obviously looking to get as much cash as they can while the industry is on such a boom. Back in 06 or something, I was writing a paper for my Master's that dealt with the rise of video gaming and the simultaneous decline of Hollywood. While sources on the subject can offer contrasting information, the overall gist was that a lot of people have come to prefer video games as a source of entertainment for their rising quality in music, story, acting, atmosphere, etc, etc, whereas Hollywood continues to search for the next oldies thing they could do a remake of.

Back in '06 and so, people were busy complaining about Hollywood trying to snake their way into our w

14. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Nailed it.

My PC can barely handle multi-tasking. No way it's gonna' handle gaming. And my Internet connection sometimes lags (though not when using Xbox Live, funny enough). So I won't be getting TOR. I'm of the camp that believes that KotOR should be resolved as a single-player multiplatform game, not a PC exclusive MMORGP.

Honestly, I haven't been tempted to try a LucasArts game in a long time. Even the Rogue Squadron sequels all paled in comparison to the N64 original, imo. And I waited to get TFU1 until it was being sold for like $7 at Gamestop (the Ultimate Sith Edition was being sold for $17 at the time, and I had a gut feeling telling me that it simply wasn't worth the extra $10).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.