main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Road To Wigan Pier (a NW meet up)

Discussion in 'Archive: North' started by ForceGhostOfCozmic, May 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ForceGhostOfCozmic

ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 25, 2005
    http://www.wlct.org/Tourism/Wiganpier/wiganpier.htm

I've had this idea for a meet up in Wigan for some time though I don't know why I didn't post it before now.
    It's been some time since I have been to Wigan Pier but it's a great little place to experience the history of Lancashire. Great thing is that it's not to hard to get there and a Site Ticket is only £5.25 (which means you can visit the museum, the Engine House and have a ride on the canal)

Don't really have a time or date in which to do this, but we can work that out latter on.

Anyone interested?

2. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    me?

disclaimer: just need to sort out my socalled life first. won't promise anything of now.

3. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    Don't worry about that, this can be done more or less any time of the year. So there's no rush :)

4. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Never been round Wigan, so I am up for this.

Found a few more sites

Wigan Pier - some nice pics here.

How about a trip on the waterbus (bottom pic in link above)? Can't find much info on it tho.

There is also mention of trips on the Leeds-Liverpool canal but I can't find anymore info - Waterways here.

Guided walks - and lol at the page title "Pies, Piers and Pilgrim Fathers!" - we so have to get a pie in Wigan, since it's home of the "Pie Eaters" (maybe they'll replace the deatheaters in Harry Potter's next outing? :p )

For the book "Road to Wigan Pier" that Coz so cleverly uses in his thread title, check here ;)

5. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    Well to tell the truth I was trying to be cleaver about the thread title, I wanted to see if anyone noticed where it came from (Cool link too, I haven't read The Road To Wigan Pier yet)

One thing I have to do if and when we go, and that's get some Uncle Joe's Mint Balls :p

6. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    found a nice bike ride from wigan pier (or towards it, depending on where you start) and wanted to let you know. now all we need to do is get bikes ready :D

7. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    You know I've had the idea for a Bike Meet up in the back of my head for sometime, just wasn't sure if anyone was interested :p

If we where to bring the bikes out (I'd need to buy one :p ) we might be best to do this meet in late summer/early autumn

8. Lord_Ogli

Lord_Ogli Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    Bikes? I hope its nice and flat then.

9. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    from what the little leaflet says it's not complicated at all. some 5 km or so in one direction so extremely reasonable distance as well. i'll have to check it out again to whet your appetite a little more.

i'd love to do that. and you can always rent bikes, i guess. rather than buy cheap and not terribly good.

10. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    Clearly you've never been to Wigan have Ogli.

11. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    it still doesn't make sense... :confused:

12. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    Well it is more or less flat with a few hills here and there :p

13. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    oh good. i remember that from going from southport to liverpool. hardly any bump in the road. very good for cycling.

14. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    I'm still up for a wigan pier meet, just not so sure about a bike ride (since I don't have one).

15. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
  16. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Bumping this - do we have a suggested date? Need to check my diary lol.

17. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    I have no idea for a time or date :p I'm just going to have to see things are with college and work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.