main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Roads We Travel Shatter and Split (JA, Obi/Garen) NOTE - SEPT. 29!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Shaindl, Dec 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Well, here we go. For the people who were reading the story I just finished, I hope you like this one just as much. For any new readers, I hope you just like it! :D I really, totally have no clue where this is going, although that strategy of writing seemed to work well enough for me before. I have ideas for a bunch of scenes, but not a lot of clue how to get to them. So we'll all see together where this goes...

Many, many thanks to Shanobi for the idea and for her marvellous board. And to the people there for the support.

Title from "Bob Dylan's Dream" by Bob Dylan.

Disclaimer: All hail George, the mighty creator of this universe! I fully acknowledge that you own 'em, I don't and will never make any money from them.

One final note: I haven't read any of the JA books (and from what I've read here of people's comments about them, I don't really want to) so any descriptions of Garen or his Master are my own invention. Same with any other character that might pop up from the JA series.

Hope you like it...

The Roads We Travel Shatter and Split

?You are my friend, without a doubt, a grade A, galactic moron.?

Padawan Garen Muln sat sprawled in a chair in the deserted cafeteria of the Jedi Temple. Across from him sat his fellow Padawan and friend Obi-Wan Kenobi, who was, at the moment, the picture of utter dejection. He sat scrunched up in his chair, his face buried in arms that were lying crossed on the table. Obi-Wan?s head lifted fractionally so that one eye could glare balefully across the table at Garen.

?You?re enjoying this, aren?t you??

?Absolutely,? Garen agreed. He leaned forward slightly as Obi-Wan?s head re-buried itself. ?What ever possessed you to say such a thing??

?Mmrgtwet??

Garen sat back. ?I?m sorry Obi-Wan, I speak a lot of languages, but I haven?t learned Mumble yet.?

The other Padawan?s head shot up with an exasperated sigh. ?I said ?I thought she wanted an honest opinion.'?

Garen?s deep laugh rang through the cafeteria. As the sound of it died away, he regarded his friend bemusedly. ?How long have we known each other??

?Over twenty years.?

?That?s right. Have I taught you nothing about women in that time??

"I told you, I thought-"

?I know, you thought she wanted an honest opinion. But Obi-Wan, no matter where you go in the galaxy, when a woman ? no matter what species ? asks if a dress makes her hips look big, never, ever, give her an honest opinion. You smile, nod, say something vague or lie and then beat it. Quickly.? He added an afterthought. ?At Force-enhanced speed if possible.?

"Jedi don't lie."

"I'm sure there's an amendment to the Code somewhere that makes allowances for the questions women ask where the truth will invariably get a man in trouble."

Obi-Wan buried his head back in his arms. ?I blew it, didn?t I??

?Completely. You?ll be lucky if Pantea speaks to you again. But look on the bright sides.?

Obi-Wan?s eye appeared over his arms again. ?Sides??

?Yes. One, you?ll get to practice your sparring skills in an almost-to-the-death duel when she catches up with you. Two, there are lots of fish in our seas.?

Obi-Wan chuckled in spite of himself. ?You better not let Bant hear you make cracks about women being fish in the seas. She?ll beat you up.?

Garen laughed, pushed back his chair and stood. ?Well, I think you need to let out some of your pent-up frustration. Come on. I'll get you warmed up for Pantea.? He grinned a challenge at his friend. ?Race you to the gym. Last one there?s a rotten Gungan.?

The cafeteria rang again, this time with the deep laughs of two young men as they bolted for the Temple gyms.

An hour and one inspired sparring match later, two exhausted Padawans slowly made their way back to their quarters.

?Do you think I really blew it with her??

Garen chuckled. ?No, I don?t. She?s Jedi ? she?ll get over it quickly.? He grinned. ?After she beats you up.?

They reached Obi-Wan?s quarters a couple of minutes later. ?Want to come in??

?I?d

2. female_obi_wan

female_obi_wan Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2002
    Yeehee! I get first review. XD

This looks good! I never see any Garen/Obi fics. Post more and post it soon!

3. NyghtFyre

NyghtFyre Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2002
    Good start! I am anxious to read more!

4. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    :) LOve it already! Was never really interested in Garen but after reading that teaser! :p Can't wait to see where you take us! :)

5. jedi_nayru

jedi_nayru Jedi Master star 1

Oct 4, 2002
    Great start! I can't wait to read more, it looks like it's going to be good!

6. Jedi_Knight_Hunter

Jedi_Knight_Hunter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Ok, now I want to know more!

First post and I'm hooked.

7. NikSteevi

NikSteevi Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 18, 2002
    Oh! This is good! Very funny as well.

'Veritcally challenged' he he he

Keep me posted on developments.

8. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    Yay, great start. It'll be interesting to see what you do with Garen.

Great start. :)

9. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    That was very good and so well written!! [face_love] Post more soon!!! :D

10. snowbee-wan kenobi

snowbee-wan kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2000
    That was great...very funny..can't wait for more...

-s-wk

11. Bekah_K

Bekah_K Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    This looks really interesting! Great first post.

Garen and Obi-Wan...I've never read that combination before. I'm glad someone thought of this and decided to go with it. This is going to be good! :)

Please continue, I can't wait for more.

12. Cascadia

Cascadia Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    It looks good! :)

13. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    You just finished your other wonderful story and here you have me hooked on another after only one post. What a wonderful, lighthearted post full of love and good-humor. You do a great job with the dialog which I think is probably one of the hardest things to write. Yours is very believable, I felt like I was in the room with all of them. I will be following this story very closely. :D

14. Master_Comedy_Kitty

Master_Comedy_Kitty Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2002
    awesome start Shaindl! Can't wait for more...and i garentee if i stood next to Obi, he'd TOWER me. I'm a tad vertically challenged too. :p

15. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Hurray- you started it!

Here's the promised bunny chow- pareve of course!

16. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    Hurray- you started it!

Here's the promised bunny chow- pareve of course!

17. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    I love it I love it I love it I love it.

*takes breath*

Next post soon? ;)

I like the humor in this - and you've got me very interested about what's going on. :) I can tell this will be a great story. :)

18. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    Great start, next post please :)

19. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Wow. Now I feel the pressure! :D

Can't believe all the replies - thanks!

FOW - you grabbed first reply! Thanks!

NyghtFyre - more coming right up!

obi_ew - thanks for the recommendation on your thread! I hope Garen keeps making you, um, so happy. :p And Saturday?!? When are you starting a new one?Soon right? Please? I'm not adverse to begging... :D

Jedi_Nayru - good to see you here too!

JKH First post and I'm hooked. - well, I always have liked to work quickly.. :D

NikSteevi - Oh! This is good! Very funny as well.. Funny, hm? Things start to go downhill a bit today, I'm afraid...

JediSuzuran - glad you're here too! Thanks!

LuvEwen - thanks so much for reading! Tell you what, I'll keep posting if you do. Deal? :p

SWK - more today okay? ;)

Bekah_K - I'm glad someone thought of this and decided to go with it. - well, like I said, I can't take any credit for the idea - that was all Shan. But I hope that I can take her idea and run with it a little bit. Thanks for the review!

Cas - okay, confession time...I've been reading your story on the "other site" and I just loved it. I tend not to like that other site a whole lot, but check up on it occasionally to see if any of the stories I happen to like (like yours!) are updated. Hope you'll like mine as much as I like yours...

Sheila - What a wonderful, lighthearted post full of love and good-humor. You do a great job with the dialog which I think is probably one of the hardest things to write. Yours is very believable, I felt like I was in the room with all of them. I will be following this story very closely. - wow, what kind words. Thank you! And I must be really weird - I find dialogue not too hard to write - it's still description that takes me forever to write.

MCK - awesome start Shaindl! Can't wait for more...and i garentee if i stood next to Obi, he'd TOWER me. I'm a tad vertically challenged too. - thanks! And I'm slightly vertically challenged myself. I always wanted to be really tall, but I was disappointed when I stopped growing around grade 9.

PadawanKitara - HA! OF course pareve, you know, in case those bunnies want some meat with their chow... [face_laugh]

Obaona - I like the humor in this - and you've got me very interested about what's going on. I can tell this will be a great story. - thanks! I like humour in the stories I read, so I try to add some myself. I have to have some levity at some point or I'll get depressed. :D

jodiwent - thanks! Coming right up...

Thanks again for the replies...hope you like the next part!

?So when will you and Master Clee head out again??

Obi-Wan and Garen once again found themselves the only inhabitants of the Temple?s cafeteria. The dinner hour was long since over; Qui-Gon had talked with them for a while, and had then excused himself, claiming there was a holobook he?d been putting off for months. They all knew he was lying ? although he would have called it creative use of the truth. There was a book, but he?d read it before ? he was just giving the two friends a chance to talk privately. He?d bidden good night to Garen, told Obi-Wan he would see him later, and left the caf. That had been hours ago. They had been sitting there since, talking of everything and nothing in the way of good and old friends, until now they were the only ones left in the room.

?I don?t know, Obi-Wan. She was hurt pretty badly on our last mission and while she?s going to be fine, she needs to rest and heal.? He grinned suddenly. ?She keeps telling me how nice it is to have me serving her for a change.?

Obi-Wan smiled and then looked at Garen closely. ?And you? You?re okay??

?I?m fine.?

?Don?t lie to me, Garen. We?ve known each other far too long for you to do that.?

Garen sighed and his face lost the signs of his previous amusement. ?She scared me, Obi-Wan.?

?What happened?? Obi-Wan hadn?t heard t

20. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    freakishly tall [face_laugh] Okay sorry! That was very moving and i love this friendship! Keep up the great job! :)

21. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    I do like the way you're fleshing out Garen's character, showing his emotional outburst and worry for his master.

More, please? :D

22. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    Well I finally got here :)

Wonderful start Shaindl!

I've not read anything by you before so I wasn't quite sure what to expect - - After reading the first two posts I have no doubt that you will do this undercover bunny justice :D

I love what you've done so far, fleshing out Garen's character and his and Obi's friendship. I can't wait to read more, and I can't remember who said it, but you're doing an excellent job on the dialogue as well.

I don't get here very much, but will be lurking occassionally and checking in whenever I can. Garen's character has always facsinated me, I hope you can do for him what obi_ew has done for Xanatos. It looks like you are off to a great start. Keep up the excellent writing.

--Shan

23. Cascadia

Cascadia Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    I'm glad you like my story. [face_blush] I just finished it a few days ago, but I'll be posting on another story here soon. :D

But, let's talk about your story! I like the interaction between Garen and Obi-Wan. And you're doing a good job of showing their friendship and realistic dialogue.

Wonderful job! Post more soon! :)

24. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    You are doig a fantastice job of portraying theor friendship and their reliance on each other.

I can't picture a little bunny slurpping milk out of a saucer like a kitty cat- can you?

25. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    Wonderful Shaindl . You are developing Garen's character and the relationship between he and Obi-Wan beautifully. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.