main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Roads We Travel Shatter and Split (JA, Obi/Garen) NOTE - SEPT. 29!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Shaindl, Dec 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Padawan_Travina

Padawan_Travina Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 5, 2002
    **waves to everyone**

Hello!!! I am new to this thread but not the boards...hehehehe...

And can I say wow...This is a wonderful tale that you have writen Shaindl...I loved how you have captured everyone's emotions in this fic....

Thats the plus at coming in towards the end..you dont have to suffer threw all the evil cliffies..;)

I do look forward to reading more and seeing what Qui-Gon's reaction is going to be at this little declaration of Garen's..

Please keep up the good work and I ask that if it is okee with you if I had your fics to my website. Thanks!!!

2. Nat

Nat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Just a little up!

3. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
  4. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    A post any time soon? I'd be willing to kick butt to get a post...no pressure though!!!

5. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    [face_laugh] @ diane

Me too, me too! :p

6. Nat

Nat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2002
  7. RosyRedFinguredDawn

RosyRedFinguredDawn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2003
    Poor Garen, you just leave him there in acute emotional distress, we can't have that, can we. ;)

UP
    ~Rosy

8. InTheSockOfTheNight

InTheSockOfTheNight Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 31, 2002
    Sockie is here to upsies the threadsies!

*sits down and eats brownies while waiting for a postie*

9. Nat

Nat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    :D Up!

10. Padawan_Travina

Aug 5, 2002
    **grabs thread and throws to the top** Up we go....

11. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Hi all,

Just a quick note to tell you that a post is in the works, although it's been slow going. A combination of things have slowed me down, and made this post much harder to write. My apologies for the wait and my thanks for the patience.

Also, an incredible thank you to all of you who nominated this story (and its various components) in the fan fic awards. It was such a pleasant and unexpected surprise to see my name pop up so many times. I'm so very happy that you have all enjoyed this story so much - I hope half as much as I've enjoyed writing it. :)

Shaindl

12. PaddyJuan

PaddyJuan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    yay! posty posty posty!

on a more serious note (yeah right, serious from a frog, okay) I think you deserved the nominations and are doing a great job with this story!

13. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
    You deserved the noms. UP! :D

14. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
  15. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Hi all!

Finally, FINALLY, have the post. As I was telling my wonderful friend OE, this post was giving me fits. I wrote three different versions of it, none of which I liked, and finally came up with this. I hope you enjoy it.

I think there's a short epilogue, which will hopefully appear next week at some point. Please forgive the fact there's no individual replies, but I wanted to get this up before I left work. For those of you who didn't see the note I left above, thank you so much to all of you who took the time to nominate me and my story in the fan fic awards. You guys are the absolute best, and like I said in my previous note, I hope you've enjoyed it half as much as I've enjoyed writing it (even if parts of it did make me want to rip out my hair...)

For the lovely and talented OE who delights so many of us with her writing and who is always there with a friendly ear. You're the best!

?Garen,? Qui-Gon began, his customary tact non-existent in the face of his shock at the young man?s action, ?why would you ever think I would want you to leave the Order??

The Padawan?s head shot up, his confusion over the question palpable. ?I thought it was clear-?

Qui-Gon held up his hand to forestall the answer. ?I suspect that the only one things aren?t clear to is you,? he said gently. His eyes searched the Garen?s face. ?Tell me what you think you?ve done.?

The young man swallowed, his face pale and drawn as he looked away from the Master?s compassionate gaze. Lines that hadn?t been there before the mission marked his eyes and mouth, and Qui-Gon was forcibly reminded of how young the boy in front of him was. The Jedi, he reflected, do not treat their children gently. What kind of galaxy do we live in that we have to do this?

He shook his head to clear out the troubling thoughts as Garen began to speak. ?The mission seemed wrong to me right at the beginning. It almost felt as if I was abandoning my Master just when she needed me most.? A ghost of a smile appeared at an unheard statement and he glanced behind him. ?I know I didn?t, but that?s how it felt. You needed me, I wasn?t there, and the Council didn?t care. That was the first thing.?

Blue eyes traveled back up to Qui-Gon?s. ?Then there was the raid.? He swallowed hard again, and his gaze dropped away, and the big Master could feel the shame radiating off of him. His voice had fallen to a harsh whisper. ?They made me go on a raid with them. They attacked a cargo ship. I...I killed a man. In cold blood with a blaster.?

Garen?s head was bowed, almost as if he expected a vibroaxe to fall. Qui-Gon stared down at him, then lifted his head to look at Clee. Her eyes were already on him, and she shook her head once, confirming what he already suspected ? there was more than the young man was telling them. ?Garen.? He waited until the Padawan looked up. ?Why did you kill that man??

?It doesn?t matter. I killed him.?

?You?re wrong, young one; it does matter. What happened that you fired a blaster at an innocent man??

Garen?s eyes traveled desperately from one Master to the other as Clee slid further into the room so she could see her Padawan?s face. ?It doesn?t matter ? I killed him with my own hands.? He shook his head wearily. ?But the Force warned me that something was about to happen, and I guess I reacted instinctively.?

Qui-Gon nodded. One of the hardest lessons to learn. I wonder if any of us ever truly learn it? ?Garen, I know it is hard to accept but you know well that the Force doesn?t discriminate. It warned you against a threat to you and you reacted. That man?s death was the will of the Force.?

Garen?s eyes held his. ?And if the will of the Force is wrong??

Qui-Gon found he had no answer, although it appeared the young man didn?t expect one as he continued talking. ?Then Obi-Wan showed up. It was almost as if he was Force-sent. I?needed someone to talk to, although there was-? he stopped, and a haunted look crossed his face. The Masters shared a puzzled glance as he starte

16. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    The Jedi, he reflected, do not treat their children gently. What kind of galaxy do we live in that we have to do this?
    :_| Oh that gets me! Like I told you, you always manage to come back from a dry spell with something truly amazing! Glad I could return the favor and give you a push! Force knows you do it for me on a daily basis! Bravo! :)

17. PaddyJuan

PaddyJuan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    a big WOW, for fixing Garen

and a big UH OH for the ending. do i sense a sequel? hmmmm? please?

I think you have done a marvelous job building the characters and situations. you took a realistic look at a young man doing his best in a very dangerous situation with no perfect solution. and brought him and his friend out of it a little older, a little wiser, and still jedi to the core.

wonderful story. thank you

18. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    This was absolutely superb!!!! Made me want to cry at Garen's foolish guilt and the struggle of Obi-Wan to tell the whole story!!! So glad this ended on a happy note for Garen and are there hints of a sequel in the wind? Wouldn't mind at all!!!!

Your nominations are well-deserved and you have just shown us again why you deserve them!! Thoroughly satifying story....

19. RosyRedFinguredDawn

RosyRedFinguredDawn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2003
    Wow, great job with the post. Everything ended up happy, well sortof. Now I think they all need a vacation. Awsome closure.
    ~Rosy

20. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    Wonderful Shaindl. I love the friendship between Obi-Wan and Garen. The last bit was a bit foreboding, do you have a sequel planned at some point? I would definitely be on board if you do. :)

21. female_obi_wan

female_obi_wan Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2002
    *applauds like crazy*

22. Nat

Nat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Aaah, a post for my birthday! :D Now that's a nice present!

I'm glad Garen finally understood he couldn't have done anything more for Obi-Wan. It's funny to see the three other Jedi band together to show him that what he did was right.
    I particularly liked the reference to Bant's now famous expression "Banthabrain". :p

You also raised a couple of very interesting questions here.
    "The Jedi, he reflected, do not treat their children gently. What kind of galaxy do we live in that we have to do this?"
    This issue, I think, is very important in this story - and in the whole prequel era actually. It would be very nice to have that explored again at some point.

Garen?s eyes held his. ?And if the will of the Force is wrong??
    Hmm... True. I wonder if there is an answer to that. It must be difficult being a Jedi knight.

Anyway, it was high time Garen got the comfort he deserved! I'm happy now. :) Well, maybe I would be if Choss and the rest of his missing crew weren't plotting against him somewhere.

Thanks for this post!

23. Padawan_Travina

Aug 5, 2002
    Great post Shaindl...I am glad I found this when i did..I wish i could have been there from the start but glad I am here now..I look forward to reading more..

PT

24. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Oh my gosh, Shaindl. As I was reading this post, I realized just how remarkable your talent is! [face_shocked]

Each characterization, their actions and dialogue, was perfect. I was just sitting at my computer cursing you for being so good. 8-}

Congratulations on a truly wonderful fic. You're an amazing writer. ;)

25. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Wonderfully done!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.