main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Roads We Travel Shatter and Split (JA, Obi/Garen) NOTE - SEPT. 29!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Shaindl, Dec 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Comedy_Kitty

Master_Comedy_Kitty Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2002
    YAY! A POST!!! Honestly, Garen can be such a moron. :p Good thing he's got Obi, Qui and his master to slap him into place.

2. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    What a lovely post. :) I was glad that Obi-Wan was conscious enough to speak where Garen would not.

3. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    I don't know what those other two versions held Shaindl, but this one was amazing! You always do such a lovely job :)

The friendship and love between Obi and Garen, and all involved actually, was beautifully written with just the right amount of wit, humor, and yes--mush, and again, not too sappy--i love it :D

Congratulations on your nominations, you did a wonderful job with this and deserve the recognition--as do you and o_e together for Lost. Good Luck ladies.

Only one more post? So sad to see this ending, but it was such a good ride. I'll be looking for the epilogue. I kind of knew Choss would get away--but leaves the door open for a possible sequel, no? :D

--Shan

4. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    *turns up late*

*reads post*

*applauds madly* What an ending to a great story! Well maybe not the end but - whatever. Great work with Garen's character (he needs to find some self-esteem methinks :p ) and also the Garen-Obi friendship.... well done... very well done... *wanders off gibbering*

Can't wait for the final post.

Nem :p

5. InTheSockOfTheNight

InTheSockOfTheNight Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 31, 2002
    Sockie is sad....sad because the posties was so heart wrenching and sad because one of her favorite stories is coming to an endsies! :(

*Sockie grabs a brownie and hopes it helps to make her more happies*

As usual Shan, you have managed to cranksies out a superb postie. This story is truly amazing and will forever be logged as one of my favoritesies. I look forward to more of your writingsies!

6. Nat

Nat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2002
  7. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
  8. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Well, kids, this is it! It's been an incredible ride, and I thank each of you for taking the time to read and respond. I've had so much fun writing this, and every time I've posted, I've looked so forward to reading your comments. You're an amazing bunch of people! :)

The sequel is in motion - the first post is half-written. I have a a post for Lost to write first (have to get on that or OE will come and hunt me down :D ) to do before I can really turn my attention back to Garen and company. But look for it soon on the Saga boards...

OE - you're just too sweet! Thanks for always being here to support, cajole, and push. I'm so glad to have met you! :)

Froggy - I think you have done a marvelous job building the characters and situations. you took a realistic look at a young man doing his best in a very dangerous situation with no perfect solution. and brought him and his friend out of it a little older, a little wiser, and still jedi to the core. - thank you for such a wonderful description of my story. I'm so happy to know that you've enjoyed this (not as much as I'm enjoying The Panther's Cub, though - when are they going to figure it out, anyway?)

diane - So glad this ended on a happy note for Garen and are there hints of a sequel in the wind? - are you so sure of the happy ending? And yes, all signs point to yes for a sequel. Thanks for reading!

RRFD - Everything ended up happy, well sortof. - sort of, indeed. Garen's not exactly happy at the end of this post... :D

Sheila - The last bit was a bit foreboding, do you have a sequel planned at some point? I would definitely be on board if you do. - oh, that wasn't foreboding. Today is foreboding. :D And yes, as you've already seen, there's a sequel - and it wouldn't be the same if you weren't on board! :) Thanks for reading!

FOW - [face_blush] Thanks!

Nat - I missed your birthday? Je m'excuse! Bonne fête, mon ami! Je te souhaite une belle année et que ta thèse n'est pas trop difficile à écrire. Comme la mienne! :D

I hope that was correct - it's the most French I've written in a long time! :)

Interesting questions you raise - some of which I'll be exploring in the sequel. And Choss isn't the only one plotting...

Thanks for being so supportive and for always writing such in-depth responses. You always force me to think about what I've written - the story wouldn't have been the same without your input. And finally, don't you owe me a PM? :D Just kidding!

Padawan_Travina - well, you're here now - that's what's important! I'm glad you've enjoyed it!

LE - you're always so kind. Thank you for always saying such nice things about my work. And cursing me? I don't think I'm the only one who'll say "Right back at ya, babe!" :D

PK - Thanks! I hope you'll stick around for the sequel!

MCK - He can be a moron, can't he? But he's young, so I guess I can forgive him. :p Thanks for reading!

RRK - I think Garen didn't see himself as having done anything special. In his mind, he just did what he was supposed to do, and could only see where he screwed up. Even going up against a full crew of mercenaries wasn't out of the ordinary in his books, if it meant protecting his best friend.

Now about your stories: I've finished mine. Can you hurry up and finish yours? I need answers! :D

Shan - thanks so much for all your support - and most importantly, for your idea. I would never have written this if it wasn't for your generosity with your ideas. And yes, the door is rather wide open for a sequel. Especially after this post.

Nem - first, an apology: I'm sorry I haven't read your latest posts, but I'll get caught up ASAP. You're a great writer, and I want to see where you take your story!

And not the end, by a long shot. I'm glad you've enjoyed it!

Sockie - did the brownie do the trick? :p Don't be too sad! There's another one coming down the pipe in the not so distant future. And than

9. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Now that's what you call cruel and unusual punishment! :mad: How can you toss that last bit out there and then mosey away making us wait who knows how long to find out who that was and what they want!? I loved this story and you made Garen come to life for me in a way I never thought possible! Can't wait to see what you have in store for the sequel! You're a classy lady, a brilliant writer and story planner, and a grade A first class friend! Too bad we live so far away! :(

My guess for whom this new person is? Xan! :p [face_love] Ah well! A girl can dream can't she? :)

10. shanobi

Dec 11, 2001
    Wonderful way to end 'this' part of the story Shaindl! Loved the bit with Mace and Garen :)

You know, when I threw this bunny up, I was very surprised that someone actually took it at all--let alone so quickly :) Garen is one of those undeveloped characters that doesnt (didn't) get much attention. I definately thought it would be nice to 'see' more of him.

You've done an excellent job with this and I, along with many others got the enjoyment of reading a lovely fic--just because someone threw the idea out there. It was one of those things I'd love to read, but never take the time to write--i'm so glad someone did :D

As to who the mysterious man is, hmmm. Could be Xan? Could be Sideous? Whoever it is, i'll be there to find out. Only request, would you mind posting a link to 'Lost' when you start posting. I don't normally scope out the boards anymore, just go to my messages to get the fics i'm currently following. I'd appeciate it ;)

--Shan

11. shanobi

Dec 11, 2001
    :mad: Bad double postie!

12. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Wonderful ending but I am so sad that it is over (for now).

I had totally forgotten that Garen had used Mace as his name....LOL. Oh, he will be one unhappy Padawan!!!

And that snippet at the end. Definitely a sequel in the air. I will be looking forward to it very much!!!

Bravo!!!

13. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    That was fantastic. Poor Garen will probably be extra careful about any name he uses undercover from now on.

I can't wait for the sequel Mysterious men in black sent out to recuit the bad guy is just to delectable to pass up.

14. Master_Comedy_Kitty

Master_Comedy_Kitty Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2002
    omg, that was so great. Poor Garen. It would've been great to end it there but noooo, you have to drive me insane. :p

15. female_obi_wan

female_obi_wan Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2002
    *starts applauding again*

This was one excellent story! I'm just sorry it's over. :_|

16. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    What a fitting ending to this marvelous story. I never gave Garen much thought but you managed to flesh out his character and now he is one of my favorites. I love the interaction and the banter between he and Obi-Wan. :)

"Plan to spend the day with me, Padawan." [face_laugh]

I had forgotten about Garen using Mace's name. :D

That last bit was very ominous and now we have another faceless villain to contend with. I hope you start your sequel soon because I loved this story and cannot wait for the continuation. Great job Shaindl. :)

17. Padawan_Travina

Padawan_Travina Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 5, 2002
    GREAT JOB HERE!!!

**gives a round of applause**

I do look forward to reading the next part I for one want to know who this man in black is too...Keep up the good work..

PT

18. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
    [face_laugh] @ Mace

Are you telling me Garen was stupid enough to put THAT in his mission report? Or ... wait... did Obi split on him? [face_devil]

And a sequel in the works! w00t!

And no, it's not Xan, this is non-AU and Xani's dead...... I think.

*rabid plot bunny*

Well DONE!!

Nem :D :D :D

19. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Nem So certain are you? [face_devil]

20. Nat

Nat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Ok, first reaction, before even reading the post:
    Noooo! It's oveeeer!!!!!! :_| It's so sad. One of the best stories I've read so far and that could always lighten up my day. Every post was so well-written that I was happy even before reading.

Now for this epilogue... What a contrast between the light-hearted conversation between Obi-Wan and Garen - nice touch to complete the circle by referring to their first talk, by the way - and then the appearance of Mister Bad Guy at the end...

I kinda feel sorry for Garen, but I'm sure Mace will not be that hard on him. Just enough to make him understand noone is to use his name for less than noble purposes. [face_laugh]

It's really a wonderful epilogue, you perfectly tied all the loose ends that had to be taken care of now, while still leaving enough for a sequel which will be, I'm sure, awesome.

You did an excellent job here, and I thank you for sharing it with us. It's been a real pleasure all along. :)
    And if I've been of help sometimes, I'm more than happy.

Kudos to you!!

*Starts to applaud madly*
    (Ne nous fais pas trop attendre pour la suite ;) )

21. PaddyJuan

PaddyJuan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Oh, that was so wonderful.

'the force hates me...' lmfbo!!!!

ooooooh, dare we beg for a sequel???!!!

22. Phoenix_Reborn

Phoenix_Reborn Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2003
    It's been quite a ride and I have but one thing to offer you:

Thanks for sharing it!!!

*throws chocolate covered Garens and Obis*

23. Calantha

Calantha Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2002
    Wow! I just finished a marathon read and...wow! :) I'm very lucky it's summer vacation right now, so I didn't have to interrupt my reading.

It was also nice to read the story straight from start to finish. It ran really nicely, always building, always holding me in suspense. I feel such intense pity for those who had to wait for updates! You brought the whole story together really well with that last post. Poor Garen, with Master Windu.

Which brings me to the next bit: Garen! He was fantastic! He felt real, and complex - not to mention the excellent mental pictures you created. 8-} I really ended up caring about him. If anything, this was his story, far more than Obi-Wan's. I really like the title too. It was very eye catching. :)

The two people in the epilogue - my first thought was Sidious and Maul, but why would Maul have blasters? Actually, I have no clue. 8-}

This whole story was simply wonderful. Thank you for sharing!

~Calantha, whose off to read that first post for the sequal that she just saw!

24. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Hello everyone! Thanks so much for all your support and your reviews in the over six months this story has been going. There have been times when the only reason I kept going is because I knew all of you were out there waiting (im)patiently for me. And thank you again for your nominations in the Summer Fan Fic awards!

OE - cruel and unusual? Compared to you and the knots you so happily tie your readers in? Give me a break! :p And I can't thank you enough for these words: You're a classy lady, a brilliant writer and story planner, and a grade A first class friend! - You're absolutely right about how it's too bad we live so far away. Thanks for being there when I needed a smack in the head. :)

Shan - As soon as I saw your bunny, I had ideas for scenes flashing through my head. I know I've said it before, but thank you for all your support and for being so generous with your ideas. It's because of people like you these boards are so successful.

Diane! - thanks! And yes, the sequel is in the air, as you've already discovered. Have a marvelous time in England!

PK - you'll find out who the mysterious men in black are...

Eventually. :p

MCK - Well, I could've ended it there, but what would have been the fun in that? I live but to drive my readers insane... :D

FOW - But wait! It's not over! There's a sequel started...thanks for reading!

Sheila - What a fitting ending to this marvelous story. I never gave Garen much thought but you managed to flesh out his character and now he is one of my favorites. I love the interaction and the banter between he and Obi-Wan. - I had hoped when I started that their dialogue would sound like two young men in the course of their regular friendship. Thanks for reading this and the beginning of the sequel!

PT - Like I said above, you'll all find out who the men in black are, but one's more important that the other.

Nem - Well, he did have to give them some details from the mission. But yeah, it wasn't some of his brightest thinking to tell them he used the name Mace. :D

Nat! - Don't be sad! The sequel's started! One of the best stories I've read so far and that could always lighten up my day. Every post was so well-written that I was happy even before reading. Wow! What do I say to that except a huge thank you!

It's really a wonderful epilogue, you perfectly tied all the loose ends that had to be taken care of now, while still leaving enough for a sequel which will be, I'm sure, awesome. - do you know I had that epilogue in mind right from the beginning? I knew when I started that I would end by coming back to Obi-Wan and Garen talking about Pantea. The little bit with the men in black was an addition I didn't see back then though.

And you've been more than a help - you made me really think about why I did or wrote some things. Your questions even made me change my plans a couple times leaving me with what I think is a better story than what I had planned.

Merci pour ton aide et ton amitié (friendship - is that right?). Tu es une belle amie et je suis heureuse que nous nous connaissons. J'espère que tu aimes la suite! (I always get SO nervous writing to you in French because I'm never sure if it's right...)

Froggy - why, yes, go ahead and beg. :p It's already up on the Saga board. And thank you for your mention of my work on your thread!

PR - I think I've gotten more out of sharing it than you guys did reading it, but why don't we leave it at it was a mutually satisfactory experience? :D Thanks for the chocolate - how'd you know I'm a chocoholic?

Calantha - One sitting? Wow - that's impressive! But I know what you mean - it is nice to be able to read something through all the way and know you won't have to wait for updates.

It's really nice to see your perspective because most people here did read it piecemeal (i.e. as the posts went up) instead of as a complete story. I'm glad that in a single read, it comes across as gradu

25. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    [face_blush] Aw! Shucks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.