main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Robocop Series

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by howardgarbo, May 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. howardgarbo

howardgarbo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2005
    Robocop is one of my fave sci-fi/action flicks of all time. Peter Weller is great as the title hero and Nancy Allen is also good as his partner, Lewis. Kurtwood Smith is equally terrific as villain, Clarence Boddikker and his hechman are memorable as well. The film does a nice job of combining satire, off-beat humour with comic book violence.

Robocop 2 is decent. Tom Noonan (of Manhunter and Last Action Hero) is a cool villain and his henchman is equally interesting. A 12 year old drug addict. But overall the film is an incoherent mess. Subplots just come and then are forgotten, like Robo's relationship with his wife. Really should have been better with Frank Miller scripting.

Robocop 3 is awful. No, change that to unbelievably,eye-gouging awful. Lame story. Lame villains (the Robocop of the first two wouldv'e made short work of these guys). Flat action sequences. Weak FX. Toned down violence (it's rated PG-13!). And for the most part, it's boring.

Heard Frank Miller dropped out of Hollywood for a decade due to the film.

Never got into the TV series or any of the Canadian DTV movies they made afterwards.

Moleman edit: We have a preexisting Robocop thread. :)

2. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    the original is a classic, although the over-riding theme's are completely lost, and it's viewed as a "cool robot movie".

The TV show was weak - a bit like the A-Team as there was the suggestion of violence, but no-one ever got hurt or killed.

3. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
  4. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    EDIT: I had nothing to say anyway. . .

5. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    "I'D BUU THAT FOR A DOLLAR!"

Thread Status: