The Rock: Did Hans Zimmer have anything to actually do with this....

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by DarthBoba, Sep 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    ....And if so, why is it so bloody good :p? I got this earlier today and I think it's going on my list as one of my favorite albums just from the fantastic Main Title. Anyone else get to listen to it?
  2. Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    It kinda struck me when I first saw the movie, but I never really thought to investigate the soundtrack any further. Thanks for giving me the idea!

What do you have against Hans Zimmer? :p
  3. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
  4. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Sure he's not the best but he can write good score material. His Lion King work is good. The Prince of Egypt is fantastic score and even Gladiator is wonderful.
  5. Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yeah, I thought Gladiator was quite good, and I love Pirates of the Caribbean. But I don't think I've heard enough of his tracks to really judge him as a composter. From what I've heard, I think he's pretty talented.
  6. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Zimmer did not do the music for the first Pirates film though.
  7. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
    Zimmer... sort of did the music for the first film.
  8. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Yes I am aware he sort of did but he also sort of didn't. He wrote the main theme and then "overproduced" it.
  9. Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    But he did do the second and the third, right?

The second didn't really stand out to me as much as the third, which has some absolutely spectacular scores, in my opinion.
  10. Kwenn Force Ghost

star 5
    The Rock definitely has Zimmer's mark on it. There's clear elements of "The Kraken" from Dead Man's Chest (4:42 on "Hummell Gets the Rockets" as the first example I can recall), and the action motif is reminiscient of his action cues in Pirates, Batman Begins, Gladiator etc. The rhythm of the second half of "Rock House Jail" in particular reminds me of the first Pirates.
  11. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Yeah, The Rock definitely sounds more than a tad like Pirates at times.

yeah! Just listened to Hummel Gets The Rockets[/], and if I didn't know better, I'd be waiting for Johnny Depp to say something funny. :p
  12. CloneUncleOwen Force Ghost

star 4
    Wasn't Hans Zimmer one of the original members of THE BUGGLES?
  13. Robi-Wan Force Ghost

star 4
    Yes he was.

And anyone saying Zimmer isn't good is a fool.
  14. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Let's watch the flaming comments.
  15. Robi-Wan Force Ghost

star 4
    Calling someone a fool like that isn't cruel. I wouldn't even call it flamming in this manner, nor did I mean it as flamming. I meant it more like in a comedic way, like B. A. Baracus, if you like. I wasn't pointing anyone out, only saying in general. But if I offended anyone then I am sorry :)

My point was that if you say Zimmer isn't good at what he does, then you really haven't listened to his music. He's not the best, no one is, but he's good at what he does.
  16. CloneUncleOwen Force Ghost

star 4
    You haven't offended anyone, Robi-Wan. And rather, Strilo, you're not actually taking
    offense, are you old man, I say, say? The lot of you have provided nothing but intelligent commentary
    which is most refreshing around and about this forum, what? Sorry if I'm out of step... gin and tonic,
    and no ice...

Sorry to ramble on. This d*** D23 Convention, on panel, is driving me off my face...
  17. Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I think that Hans Zimmer and John Williams are similar in that both of their music tells a story. When I hear "Up is Down", one of my favorite tracks from At World's End, I can almost see them running from one side of the ship to the other. When I hear "The Asteroid Field" I can almost see...well, the asteroid field! The music goes with the story so well because the music almost is a story in itself. That's a feat not every composer can accomplish.
  18. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I understand, but I just wanted to be sure. One never know who reading this might have issue.
  19. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
    Hans Zimmer has a few hits, but I can't fathom how anyone could call him original since about 1998. It's the same stuff over and over. If you see an action scene in a Zimmer-scored film, you always know what music is coming. Zimmer's style is almost exclusively tonal, which is fine, but it limits him. I also find a lot of his music is so masculine it's obnoxious. Furthermore, Zimmer's employees and students at Remote Control Productions have got the film industry by the throat. There are endless examples of cases in which obscure or independent composers have been replaced on films by Zimmer's team. However, aside from maybe John Powell and Harry Gregson-Williams, Zimmer's disciples don't share his gift for melody and emotional evocation, and the results are coma inducing. See Iron Man.
  20. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
    The thing that gets me about Zimmer is the repetition of so many of his themes. They all seem very similar and when he comes up with a main theme for a film it is repeated and recycled in many ways throughout the entire picture. That's not to say he isn't good because at his best he is great
  21. elemental_fantasy Jedi Master

star 4
    ZIMMER: The Rock is his work. He recruits members from his camp, such as Nick Glennie-Smith, Harry Gregson-Williams, Trevor Rabin, Steve Jablonsky... ect..

You really cant say the Rock is all his nor any score he makes, but he does find the talent to help him make his scores and trains them, then they usually branch off into their own success.

With that said, for the most part, any time you see Zimmer's name appear as the scorer, it's usually 30-50% his own creation... the rest is recruited from his trainees/fellow composers.
  22. andy1044 Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    I'm happy you mentioned Powell. He has far surpassed Zimmer and everybody currently or previously at RC and has managed to become one of the most interesting composers today. His score for Horton Hears a Who! is absolutely fantastic.
  23. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Which he also did for the sequels and, likely, many of his big epic scores. Zimmer writes theme suites and then his underlings -- in the case of the second two pirates films Lorne Balfe, Tom Gire, Nick Glennie-Smith, Henry Jackman, Trevor Morris, John Sponsler, Geoff Zanelli, Bruce Fowler, and Atli Örvarsson -- adapt them to the picture. Jackman, for instance, wrote the lovely "Up is Down" cue. And apparently Badelt had very little to do with the first pirates and mostly had his name attached for contractual reasons.

As far as THE ROCK, the bulk of the music, especially the da-da-da-dah! da-dah! action music, was by Glennie-Smith, though the memorable main theme in "Hummell Steals the Rockets" is Zimmer's, as is some other stuff. Harry Gregson-Williams contributed some amount, though he's made it clear in interviews that it really is Glennie-Smith's score. Don Harper wrote the cue "The Chase".
  24. MomMaster Jedi Knight

star 2

Didn't see a thread for this - I just purchased Angels and Demons. I didn't listen to it yet but from what I heard in the movie I liked it. And Joshua Bell was a bonus.

Gladiator is my Favorite!
    Pirates are ok
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.