main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Rocky Horror Picture Show - True ART

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by neimoidian_85, Sep 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neimoidian_85

neimoidian_85 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Anyone agree? Disagree? WHY?

2. CrimsonVision

CrimsonVision Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    Heehee...

Well, considering I've been performing with the Boston Rocky Horror cast for almost 8 years now...

I think it's art!

(Either that or I just keep telling myself that to keep me sane!!)

XxX,
    T

3. stevo

stevo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    True art, at its greatest.

4. Epicauthor

Epicauthor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2002
    I was in a cast of the Rocky Horror Show (The actual musical, not the movie) and I can now honestly say that I can't stand the movie. The musical has more resonance with me and it just sounds better. The movie put the play in a very strange context with almost no continunity, but the play is just brilliant.

Yes I know it's the same lines and almost the same songs ( "Once and a While" was left out of the movie) but somehow, to me, it's just different.

5. McNerf-Burger

McNerf-Burger Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 13, 2000
    I dont think its art. I really cant see whats so great about this movie. It had a few funny moments, but mostly I found it annoying.

6. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    RHPS is one of my favorite movies of all time.
    But it's not much of a piece of art. It's nothing special by itself. The REAL art is what the performing casts and crazy audiences do. THAT's something special. The movie itself happened to be in the right place at the right time.

However, there are some good "true art" moments in RHPS that stand out. The opening in particular. What a creative and brilliant decision that pair of lips was. And the actual "Science Fiction Double Feature" song is amazing as well, it's beautiful.

And it's probably one of the better-put-together film musicals, considering its budget. It looks cinematic, not just a stage show thrown up onto the screen.

Maybe I'll post more later when I think about it.

Dammit, Janet, Rick McCallum loves you!

7. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    The Lips are Pat Quinn's in case ya didn't know...

Columbia still rocks!
    DB<<A RHPS cast member/director for more years than she cares to think about...

8. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    Oh, I knew. You can sort of even make it out yourself if you look at Magenta carefully, especially her closeups in Time Warp ("So you can't see me, no, not at all')

Rick McCallum loves you!

9. JediKnight317

JediKnight317 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 20, 2000
    I don't like to say that something is crap, but I'm gonna have to go with the crap on this one. I don't, and never will, understand the draw of RHPS. When I was in High School the only people that like RHPS were the Goth kids. And when I see those same people today looking like normal everday Americans I love to ask them if they are still going to RHPS every Saturday night. And none of them are, I think the majority of RHPS "fans" are fans for the sake of being fans. I just think it's the trendy thing to do. I'm not trying to knock anyones opinions on this film, but me personaly I hate this movie.

10. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    I'm going to go out on a limb here...

Were you a "jock"? One of the popular crowd? A great majority of the RHPS crowd were remnants of the outcasts and odd balls... we found comfort and companionship and acceptance at RHPS... some still do and I don't knock them at all... some of us moved on to other things. It happens... Each of us find our own paths... If RHPS wasn't your cup of tea so be it but I really wouldn't knock it over all.

11. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    I agree with DarthBreezy on this issue.

Also, I seriously question the idea that RHPS is "trendy". It's a bit old for that. ;)

Rick McCallum loves you!

12. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    I FIRST heard of the Rocky phenonomomonon when I was in my early teens *mumble* 20 *mumble* years ago... my first love was a red headed young man who played columbia...

Some 'trend'.... I myself haven't gone in a LONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG time but I know that to a person who has just 'discovered' RHPS it's just as exciting for them as it was for me...

13. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    RRIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTTT!!

Being a fan for the sake of being a fan because it is trendy? What kind of insult is that supposed to be? And who are you to judge people straight off like that? It's just plain rude!

Anyway, enough of grrriness.

I personally love The Rocky Horror Picture Show the film, but have yet to see a musical...although I really think I should. The passion the singers would be able to get in the songs would be amazing! When I listen to the 'Double Feature' and the 'don't dream it, be it' songs, I almost cry. So much emotion in them, just pouring out in song. That is the real reason why I think I like it. :)

14. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Seeing sa LIVE RHS is a treat... BUT if you see it in the UK it is very different from the US... In the US you sit and watch it like any other play (which is fun in and of itself) but when I went to the show in England, we 'experianced' it... the actors reacted to the 'call lines' and in some instances, incorperated them into the show...
    For the best example, when Janet was introduced to Frank, we (the audience) gave the usual responce to Janet... Frank turned to us and said "Really?"...
    lots of fun!!

15. Epicauthor

Epicauthor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2002
    We did the musical in San Diego a coupke of years ago and we tried to come up with as many responses to as many call back lines as we could. The funny thing was that there was always one that we had never heard before and it was like a game in with the cast to see who could answer the audience back in the most creative way.

I totally think that if you have the oppertunity to experience the musical, go do it. The whole experience becomes way more meaningful when you hear live actors do teh parts.

16. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    I heard bits and pieces of the recent live musical cast in NYC and was not impressed. It sounded over-produced and generic. Everyone was trying to be a pop singer.

The movie sounds the best.

But, then, we all get attached to the version we start out with, don't we?

Rick McCallum loves you!

17. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    That sounds great! Audience involvement rocks! If I get the chance, I'll definitely jump at it. The last musical I went to really sucked so I want to actually enjoy it this time...rather than try to stay awake! :D :p

Anyone know if it's playing in Australia? ?[face_plain]

18. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I can't think of a reason not to consider it art... pop art might be even more appropriate.
    Anything that has played on the stage is, by definition, art.
    Therefore, the film version of a play or theater musical should be considered to be equally artistic.

That's just my opinion. :)

19. Ambassador Cara Jade

Ambassador Cara Jade Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 23, 1999
    Ah, the RHPS...a wonderful movie if there ever was one. It's fandom is comparable to Star Wars, don't you think? (I'd love to see a bunch of Star Wars fans throwing action figures and gummy lightsabers at the screen)!

Hey, Halloween is coming up, anyone going to a sreening?

check out the siggy!!

20. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Ambassador, there is a difference between the two... Star Wars fans don't get together at screenings to prance around in their underwear, singing and dancing... and thank God for that! ;)

21. Ambassador Cara Jade

Oct 23, 1999
    Wait...you guys don't do that?

22. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    LOL!! :D No, not as far as I know.... ;)

23. Ambassador Cara Jade

Oct 23, 1999
    Okay, so maybe we don't dress in our underwear, but we do run around in hooded bathrobes and swing broomsticks around. ;-)

Seriously, though, I draw the parallel between the fact that the two have these religious followings that have lasted for 20+ years. The RHPS has become something of an anthem for misfits who don't really belong anywhere else and gives them a place to belong. Star Wars does the same. You follow? :)

24. Lieutenant_Page

Lieutenant_Page Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    RHPS has to be the worse movie I've ever seen. I remember watching it and hating it, except for the Time Warp :p That is my personal oppinion :)

25. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Which is of course why it is a *cult* movie...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.