main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One The Rogue One title font and title music

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Unkar's Muffins, Dec 28, 2016.

1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I have stated several times on this forum already that I loved the cold opening. Leave the classic logo, crawl and music for the Saga films. "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...." on the other hand, I feel is very important. And they did keep that :)

As for the font itself, I fail to see the problem. I'd love to know why people think it's "atrocious", and what they would have liked instead. I think it was distinctly it's own thing, while staying true to the style of Star Wars. I don't find it to be an ugly or uninspired font either.
    The music is wonderful. I didn't like it the first time I watched it (thought it was a bit bland), but after having listened to the soundtrack by itself quite a few times, as well as rewatched the movie, I think it works great!
    And the placement of the title works well IMO. It seperates the prologue, fifteen years earlier, to the "present time" of the movie, and both the visuals and the music builds up to it very well.

Honestly, I don't think this film could have opened any better; everything from the Lucasfilm logo up to (and including) the Rogue One logo is absolutely perfect in my mind.

2. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    It's got an old school, matinee serial feel. Just as it should!
    The subtitle "A Star Wars Story" was left out of the actual movie because it's just a marketing tool. I prefer it that way.

3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, by the time the title shows up, if you don't know it's set in the Star Wars galaxy then... well, I don't think "A Star Wars Story" is going to help much :p

Lulu Mars likes this.
  4. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Agreed. Not to mention that the normal "Star Wars" font isn't anything special either. It's a serial look, plain and simple.

Someone said it looked like an "early era web page." Exactly. I think that was the point, considering that the film takes place before ANH.

Good choice, IMO. Glad they didn't go with anything glossy or overwrought, ala Marvel or new Trek.

Lulu Mars and TCF-1138 like this.
  5. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I didn't have a major problem with the font. It did look pretty simple but it didn't look awful by any means.

The title music to me is the worst bit of music in the movie (it's on the lower end of all SW movies personally). It sounded very cheesy. You could have told me that theme was from Galaxy Quest and I would 100% believe that. The soundtrack does get better throughout the film though but that title credit intro was a swing and miss from Giacchino for me.

6. Danmax

Danmax Jedi Padawan

Sep 5, 2014
    Not a big deal to me, but I would have preferred the old school font, music and crawl followed by some sort of space battle. I don't care that it's just a 'Star Wars story', I still would have liked that more.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  7. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Title music was AMAZING.

8. Snokers

Snokers Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2015
    I loved the title music! Actually made me smile on my first viewing.

Font was a different story - found it jarring and weird on first viewing but when I saw it a second time I kinda loved it.

Sent from The Void using my thumbs.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  9. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Well, only two Star Wars films begin with a space battle, so...

10. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    I loved both. Made it unique, and came after an excellent Prologue.

11. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    Altogether it was underwhelming but if I had to venture an opinion, I would say the title was fine but the score was not strong enough.

I do think this has been overly criticized though compared to other aspects of the film.

Unkar's Muffins likes this.
  12. Unkar's Muffins

Unkar's Muffins Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2002
    I think the test is: are you humming it.

If not, then it's not catchy. Which it isn't.

13. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    The title music didn't seem remarkable, but the music in the very first opening shot during the pan-up was reminiscent of the post-crawl music from "A New Hope."

14. PaulWrightyThen

PaulWrightyThen Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2016
    The music was great, the font was... the font. It kinda looked like a placeholder.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  15. Takes One to Rogue One

Takes One to Rogue One Jedi Padawan

Jan 4, 2017
    I don't think a score or even a theme needs to be catchy or memorable to be good. What's memorable or not will differ a lot depending on what you're looking for, how many times you've seen a movie, whether you've listened to the soundtrack, etc. A score's job is to convey tone, emotion and character for the movie.

The title card may not have worked for some people, but they were going for the Star Wars crawl feel and the music had to match that.

Larsonator likes this.
  16. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    The font was atrocious, looks like a font a first year student would pick (I'm not exaggerating). The music was alright, but it felt out of place with the rest of the film.

Unkar's Muffins and Darth Basin like this.
  17. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    The Font was odd. The music was ok. But it needs the Crawl the most. You start with the "a long time ago...." ok. You end it with a circle wipe & THE SAME blue credits, fine.

But LFL is telling me that HAN SOLO will have no crawl? Really. Ben Kenobi no crawl? No way!

Guidman likes this.
  18. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    I thought the title looked like something out of fan fiction. The only dodgy bit of an otherwise outstanding movie for me.

19. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I'm going to have a hard time keeping a straight face when I see this in the movie because of the incredible amount of complaining that this particular has received online. Lol :p

20. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Oh I mutter Krennic's theme under my breath all the time.

SuperPersch likes this.
  21. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    Had absolutely no problems with the font, but didn't love the music. As with the rest of the soundtrack, in my opinion, Giacchino's extremely short (through no fault of his own) time frame shows.

22. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I find myself humming it every once in a while.

Eh, a first year student can be able to pick a perfect font, so...

EHT likes this.
  23. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    First year students tend to be a bit of a mixed bag.

24. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I don't have a problem with either. The music recalls the main theme from the saga while doing its own thing. The font is reminiscent of that of the other titles, but slimmer.

Good point! In that way, I think it works with the nods to Rebels elsewhere in the film.

25. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    The title font didn't bother me. It didn't even occur to me that there might be a problem with it until after my first viewing I read some people complaining about it. I took special notice of the font on my 2nd and 3rd viewings, and I do not see what the problem is. It looked fine to me.

Jolee Bindo and TCF-1138 like this.