main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Rogue One Trailer Abstinence Thread - seeing the film cold

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by DebonaireNerd, Jan 16, 2016.

1. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I'll open up this thread with some brutal honesty - I could very well fail this challenge, but i'm going to make some attempt between now and December 15 to abstain from seeing any trailer that is released for the upcoming Anthology film.

As much as I enjoyed The Force Awakens, I feel that some of my euphoria had worn off when it came to watching the film because of all the repeated viewings of the trailers and TV spots that were released in the lead up to the film. Of course, TFA looks amazing on the big screen (seeing it for a second and final time tomorrow in fact) but some of the emotional spine tingling electricity experienced when watching the trailers wasn't there apart from some misty eyed nostalgic moments.

So, it's time for an experiment - will going into Rogue One without watching any trailer or TV spot make the film more enjoyable? I hypothesise that it will which is why I am going to make some attempt to avoid all trailers. Yep, i'm going in cold. Or at least I think I will. If I give into temptation, i'll of course report in.

Who else is game?

2. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Impossible for me. I'm hoping the trailers will be the same style as the ones for TFA though - zero spoilers.

CowMoo, Dewback, AmySolo and 2 others like this.
  3. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Good luck, your gonna need it.

Are u planning on not watching any tv closer to release?

4. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Honestly...I don't actually watch TV because there's nothing on there I like apart from one show which is on an ad-free network. Every TV show or film I watch is on Netflix. So i'm safe there. If by chance I happen to be channel surfing, i'll simply keep flipping. Of course, i'll report in if I see anything and let you know what I saw, and how much. Maybe even with my interpretation as to how I think the rest of the trailer goes :p

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    DebonaireNerd
    The potential problem with this thread is that you've posted it in the Anthology SA forum. If you're that adamant about avoiding trailers, I'm assuming you'll want to avoid spoilers too. So if you want to continue posting in this thread and making updates to it, it may make more sense for it to be in the New Films - No Spoilers Allowed forum. Let me know; I can move it there.

6. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    EHT

Thanks for being mindful of that, I had not considered it.

Maybe more people are likely to participate given the non-spoiler nature of the thread. I doubt they'll be doing any browsing in this section of the forums.

Yep, send it over - great idea.

Thanks!

7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    OK, no problem. Moving in 3, 2, 1...

8. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I can avoid a trailer and footage, but I haven't thought about being as determined to avoid information and hope to be as surprised as possible about this. I guess I could easily do that. I would like to avoid all Star Wars news and stories simply because every other one aggravates the crap out of me.

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    while I don't foresee Rogue One permeating the media as much as Force Awakens did, I still think it's impossible to go into a Star Wars movie completely cold unless you go the log cabin with no internet route approximately 6 months before the release.

10. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Agreed. I would imagine spoiler exposure will be less of an issue for this one – in fact several of my friends/people I have talked to werent even aware this movie was coming out.

Oddly enough I am not anywhere near as adamant about avoiding spoilers for Rogue One as I was for TFA-and now Episode VIII. I'll see trailers, images, and read anything else out there that doesn't start with "major spoilers ahead."

I guess I'm okay with that just cos we pretty much know how it's going to end, from an overall story standpoint. And learning about cameos and whatnot will only make me feel more excited to see it!

The real trouble with spoilers will come when main/post production for Episode VIII is in full swing...

11. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    Some people are pretty cavalier about who the cameos involve...needless to say, I'm really excited to see the trailer!
    I guess you can count me out of the whole 'Trailer Abstinence' thing. I was non-spoiled for TFA, and I'm sure I'll be the same for Rogue One if I follow the same path. Bring it on!

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  12. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    Avoiding everything is tiresome so I'll probably watch the first two trailers for this and skip the third. I won't be as "AAAH *scroll scroll scroll" with this as I was for TFA & will be for VIII. Most news articles have been easy to skip so far, so I'll probably do that again.

13. Lazy K

Lazy K Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    A while back I was told that I was mistaken about when R1 takes place. I wish it hadn't happened because it would have been awesome to go into the theater and think, "Hold on, you mean it isn't after RotJ? [face_bewildered]"

14. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    With the main line saga films I am going into them basically 100% spoiler free where . I'll watch the teasers, but nothing more. With these anthology films I am less concerned about it. I still want to be spoiler free as with any movie, but I will watch the trailer without any trepidation.

15. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Unlike most, I see the trailer as one of the most spoiling things because I like to be completely unaware of how everything looks in a movie. I can easily avoid that. I've read some details on it and seen the one picture, the kinds of details that would have made me really mad to learn of The Force Awakens or Episode VIII, but I will make more of an effort to avoid them. I'm interested in how uncharacteristic of a traditional Star Wars movie this could be.

16. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I would like to skip the trailers, but I know myself all too well to believe that I will. I'll watch the trailer the minute it's released, and I'll probably watch it over and over again, just as I did the TFA trailers.

While I think it would've been nice going into TFA without having seen anything, I don't feel I ruined anything by watching the trailers (I did avoid the TV spots though, and having watched them after the fact, I'm glad I did). And the Saga movies are the ones I really care about being spoiler free for, so there's just no way I'm missing the Anthology trailers :)

17. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Ok, in a way i've already failed this challenge. I've just watched the Episode VIII production teaser half a dozen times.

I don't think i'm going to make it :p

TigerCraneFist and AmySolo like this.
  18. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Ok, teaser released. Have not watched.

19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Stay strong, DN! Remember, once you start down the trailer path, forever will it dominate your viewing.

20. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Not missing trailers so far. I am interested to read reactions to the trailer.

Would this be cheating?

21. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001

there is another thread with the teaser trailer and reactions, but so far, the responses that I have read have been positive.

For myself, I won't be seeing the film cold.

22. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Accidentally saw one frame of the trailer. Literally. I was on the YouTube front page. Among the list of videos was the Rogue One trailer with a still shot of a woman in black standing in a black hallway with white lighting.

23. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001

omg, you've just spoiled yourself so badly ... :_|

DebonaireNerd likes this.
  24. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    I know. It's like knowing Han dies in TFA.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  25. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    I watched the trailer, couldn't resist.

I wasn't that interested in this film, but now WOW I CANNOT WAIT!!

Like TFA this will be the only trailer for it I watch, so no more now until the film comes out