main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Role of Ahsoka

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by enigmaticjedi, Mar 3, 2015.

1. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    During TCW, Ahsoka ended up playing a considerably important role in Anakin's life. As a result, this potentially makes Anakin's fall in ROTS a little weird because Ahsoka is inconsequential to Anakin at that point. Let me explain. In TCW, Ahsoka's importance to Anakin's life is shown:

(1) Anakin's attachment to Ahsoka furthered his slow descent into the dark side. We see this throughout the series. Here is a noteworthy example I remember (note there are more): Force Choking Poggle the Lesser in Season 2 to help save Ahsoka from the Geonosian threat
    (2) Despite wanting her to stay, Anakin loses Ahsoka when she leaves the order. This is reminiscent of how he had to leave his mother behind in TPM.

Can't remember more now, because I'm technically supposed to finish studying for a midterm tomorrow actually.

The point is: Do you think Ahsoka is important enough to incorporate her into deleted scenes of ROTS if it were possible? If you do think that, how would you?

Tosche_Station likes this.
  2. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    No, I liked her character, but I really don't want her as part of the overall Saga. I rather have it focused on Luke and Anakin/Vader's story and not have too many characters distract from it.

I'd rather have a separate Ahsoka story showing what happened after she left the order.
    I prefer to separate some characters, even if I like them, from the overall story. At this point with what Disney has done I'd rather read fanfic on Ahsoka.

3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    she is part of the overall saga, as is tcw and rebels. we don't need her in the films though.

4. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    I'm going to leave this for now, because it deals with a conceptual overlap between TCW and the films/"saga." But just keep in mind that Saga is generally focused on film-related discussion. Keep this related to the films, please.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    No. I definitely don't like her exit from the Order, but it was done in such a way that it makes sense that ROTS did not mention her. I give Filoni credit for that one.

6. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Why? When she leaves the Order everyone swears to just pretend like she never existed? It's not realistic(okay nothing about SW is realistic) believable at all to never again mention someone who had an enourmos impact on your life not too long ago, especially if they left in such a dramatic fashion.

7. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Episode III takes place over the course of like three days. I have immediate family members who actually passed away (as opposed to just leaving for parts unknown) and there are definitely three day stretches that go by where I don't ever mention them.

Like, when would Anakin have brought her up? He had a brief outburst about not being made a master by the Council, but he got his emotions under control pretty quickly and didn't have time to go on a huge rant about all the times they failed him. And there'd be no reason for him to bring her up during his fight with Obi-Wan, because Obi-Wan was completely on his side when it came to Ahsoka. He voted against expelling her!

Ahsoka's exit from TCW was written pretty masterfully. It allows you to read in between the lines of Episode III to see how her loss affected his fall, while having it make perfect sense that she was never brought up specifically by the characters.

8. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Everything in Anakin's life affected his fall. Ashoka however doesn't fit into ROTS because in the context of the film she never existed. Anakin's failure to train an apprentice would be and solid reason as to why to Council wouldn't make him a master. Not mentioning her in that context is nonsensical.

oierem and Tosche_Station like this.
  9. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Ahsoka wasn't lost because of a failure on Anakin's part. She was expelled by the Council and later chose not to return. That's ultimately all on her.
    Bringing her up in that context would therefore make zero sense.

EDIT: Sorry! I see that I may have slightly misinterpreted your post. Yes, Anakin did fail to train an apprentice into Knighthood as in he was unable to.
    Regardless, it is never stated that one must do that in order to be given the rank of Jedi Master, so this would still be irrelevant.

As for the original question, it would make sense for Ahsoka to be mentioned in ROTS even if she doesn't appear in the movie. However, I don't think it's necessary, since the movie puts such heavy emphasis on Anakin's desire to save Padmé from dying in childbirth. There's just no room for Ahsoka in that story and cramming her in there would probably feel forced.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Again, Anakin isn't made a Master because he is too young as Anakin says and as Mace says, the Council decides on who is to be a Master.

MACE: "You are on this Council, but we do not grant you the rank of Master."

ANAKIN: "The Council is upset I’m the youngest to ever serve."

She wouldn't be mentioned because it had nothing to do with her and everything to do with Palpatine and his age.

Right.

11. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Come to think of it, it would've made perfect sense for Ahsoka to try to talk sense into Anakin - if she'd been aware of what was going on. She usually serves as a voice of reason whenever he's on the verge of going too far and might just have gotten through to him in ROTS.
    Again though, if she'd been aware of Anakin's plight, she would've been there for him - which means that if she's still alive by that time (which is a fair assumption to make), then she truly left it all behind and is busy elsewhere in the galaxy, heedless of the goings-on in the bright center of the Republic.
    It might've been wise for Obi-Wan to contact her before going after Anakin, but how would he? He likely had no idea of where she was or how to get in touch with her. Not on such short notice, anyway. They had to deal with the Sith right away, while they were split up.

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    That's why what Barris had done had worked in his favor. It removed another obstacle in his turning Anakin.

13. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    No one mentions Anakin's youth as a reason for him not being a Master. He isn't made a master because he's highly unstable.

14. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    Were the events of ROTS (Padme's death, the Jedi Order alienating Anakin with their distrust, Palpatine's manipulation) more important at the time than Ahsoka? Yes.

However, you could incorporate Ahsoka via a post-hoc bonus scene; you don't have to change the actual movie.

The reason why I'm even bringing this up is because TCW presents Ahsoka as an extremely important part of Anakin's life; sometimes, it seemed as if he cared about Ahsoka almost as much as Padme and Obi-Wan. Yet, in ROTS, this important role she once had in Anakin's life is completely extinguished. That just seems weird honestly. Yes, the program was made after the movie, but it still seems weird nonetheless.

Tosche_Station likes this.
  15. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    It's weird because TCW squeezed to much in between films.

16. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Ahsoka was very important to Anakin and if TCW had been made inbetween movies, she likely would've appeared in ROTS in some capacity - or been killed off in the show.
    The way she was ultimately handled makes it work, though, because their parting in Season 5 can definitely be seen as a final farewell. If TCW had been allowed to carry on, they would undoubtedly have met again, but since it wasn't, this is the last time that they part ways and there is a sense of finality to it.
    IMO.

17. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Uh, Obi-wan does.

OBI-WAN: "To be on the Council at your age, it has never happened before."

It isn't because of his stability. He's only on the Council because Palpatine wants him to be and because he is young, they refuse to give him the rank of Master. They don't know that he's got issues until he starts acting out right after being told that.

A cartoon does this, but not three years worth of books, comics and video games doesn't? Surely you don't see the irony in this?

Well,
    as we learned on Monday, the odds of her finding out who Darth Vader is have gone up dramatically.

18. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    In all fairness, Obi-Wan says "Calm down, Anakin, you've been given a great honor. To be on the Council at your age, that's never happened before".
    So, his age was in fact not brought up as the reason for their refusal to make him a Master, but as a sign of how great the honor was.
    To me, it seems more like he's not given the rank of Master simply because he's not ready. Normally, Jedi are only put on the Council if they're ready to be Masters (unless they're Masters already), but in this case, the appointment was made by Palpatine. If that hadn't happened, Anakin wouldn't have been made a Council member until he was Master material.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    And the Council told him in AOTC or prior that he was too "unpredictable" for the trials. They knew he had issues.

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Yeah, in AOTC. But not so much in ROTS. They had believed that he had dealt with most of that until things started to go down.

21. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    That quote doesn't at all refer to him bearing the rank of master. No one in the film gives Anakin's youth as a reason for him not being made a Master. His outburst in the Council Chamber shows he ism't ready. Are you saying prior to that outburst no one on the Council had the inclination that maybe Anakin wasn't mature enough to be a Jedi Master?

Nothing in the film implies that.
    Oh wait, I've unearthed a deleted scene...

Mace Windu: Despite the fact that Skywalker is secretive, immature and constantly has mood swings, (and trained a failed apprentice?!) I think he's ready to become a Jedi Master.

22. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I never really liked Ahsoka or the fact they decided to give Anakin a padawan out of nowhere, but she did grow on me eventually when her character matured more.

But, do I still like to pretend it never happened? Yes. Because the movies never give the slightest hint that Anakin was a master to a padawan. I like to believe The Clone Wars was like the original graphic novels and the original animated micro series. Anakin and Obi Wan side by side, strengthening their bond, and when not with Obi Wan, Anakin is off learning to become more of a Jedi. He was never ready for a padawan, as his knight hood was even more of a "we probably should give it to him" rather than "he's the embodiment of a knight."

23. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Giving Anakin a padawan was a way for them to help him mature into the Jedi Knight he was supposed to be. It was as much about him learning as about him teaching. Taking on an apprentice is part of Jedi Knighthood and I don't think you're really looked upon as a complete Jedi until you've gone through the process of being someone's Master.

It's kind of like how being a parent/guardian/teacher makes you learn to take the ultimate responsibility; responsibility for those around you as well as yourself.

enigmaticjedi likes this.
  24. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Still think, if Anakin did not run after Ahsoka when she left the Order - he might have become a Master. Yoda's remorseful look perfectly showed Anakin's attachment issues were still a problem.

25. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    You know what else showed his attachmes issues were a problem? When he went to Yoda and told him that he had attachment issues.