main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The role of Force ghosts in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Barth, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Varguitas

Varguitas Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 2012
    I think that the next films will be different than the first three and the second three. If anything, if they follow the moral and philosophical problems thing, it's likely it will include mythology in some way or another, and perhaps it might be more notorious than in the other movies. And in all honesty, I don't think it's worth mentioning the Haters of the PT. Those people plague the websites and with the internet, they gained a huge megaphone. If you think about it one of the main reasons why people hate the PT is sort of the same reason why people tend to miss ''back when''. With the ST, the haters will be people who will miss the PT and so on. Paying attention to the haters is a waste of time, what matters really is whether a fanbase exists from the films.

Episode Swag, Apophis_ and kainee like this.
  2. Varguitas

Nov 20, 2012
    I would love to see the Whills in the new movies. That would be fascinating.

3. Varguitas

Nov 20, 2012
    I don't think it could. From my understanding the hatred and anger of the Sith don't allow them to become Force Ghosts. Only the Jedi who use the force for good, would use it.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The EU favors "Sith Spirits"- I'm guessing the difference between them and Force Ghosts is that they're not truly "one with the Force".

5. Barth

Barth Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    Interesting. Well, Sith Spirits are fine too. The PT saw the beginning of the battle for control of the Force, as the Sith started to tip the Force out of balance and the Jedi started losing their powers.

Maybe the ST will start to begin a battle on the ethereal plane, with Force ghosts battling Sith Spirits. It sounds crazy, but it could actually be pretty awesome.

6. Barth

Barth Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    With regard to your first point, I agree. I think there is more to the Force than has been led on from the first films, and each film seems to have expanded on a greater mystery of the afterlife and its relation to the Force. The most recent film, RotS seems to suggest that it is something that the Jedi learn. One point that I am curious about is if there are ancient Jedi that have also retained their form after dying, and if this knowledge was lost and relearned. I'm speaking of the notion of the Jedi Knights of the Old Republic. If the notion of the ethereal plane and Force ghosts are expanded, I wonder if we could be introduced to other ancient ghosts from the Old Republic that could be introduced in 7, and then used again if and when they make a move about the Old Republic (a movie showing a young Yoda, perhaps).

With regard to your other point about Qui-gon, that is a very good point. I remember noticing the connection of the cremation ceremony when I saw TPM for the first time and then forgot about it. If Yoda and Obi Wan could have helped Anakin become a Force ghost, then maybe they could also help Qui-gon? The key, practical complication of this is the fact that Liam Neeson probably won't do another Star Wars movie. CGI perhaps?

7. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    Ghosts fought in the last Lord of The Rings did they not? Mabey's aye, maybe's naw!

8. battlefrontboy

battlefrontboy Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2012
    I wonder if Mark was just trying to not spoil the end of ROTJ at 3:45. Probably a hundred people had already asked him if Luke was going to die at the end, so in this interview he's still saying maybe Luke will be in another plane of existence in VII-IX (i.e. a ghost), or maybe he will be a different type of person (i.e. someone that redeemed Vader).

9. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    And that's not good advice? Lol

10. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm rather ambivalent on there inclusion.

Yes, certain sections might require the appearance of Anakin or even Yoda, but I must certainly don't want some bizarre nightly Ouija board session in the Jedi Temple.

11. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    No offense, but I think a Mark Hamill interview from 1983 will have as much influence on Episode VII as a hot cup of coffee poured into the ocean.

As we all know, Obi-wan's ability to keep some sort of hold on the corporeal plane helped Luke believe in himself (and in the Force) when destroying the Death Star, informed Luke to Yoda's location so he could be trained, and lastly instructed Luke that he must face Darth Vader again. So the role of the Force ghost in the original trilogy was not only to push the plot forward, but make Luke realize his full potential. He could have ignored Obi which may have resulted in Yavin IV being blown up, Luke never meeting Yoda, and other endless possibilities.

With that said, if we have an old Luke training young Jedi and acting as a mentor to guide their path, then I see no need for Force ghosts. If Luke needs help, he may have the ability to talk to them, but it seems that it's the Force ghost's will, not anyone else's, on when they decide to appear.

Echo-07 likes this.
  12. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Regarding this idea of Force ghosts:

I was thinking, with all of today's great new tchnology, we could actually see a Sir Alec Guiness ghost . . . literally. They could use Alec's likeness to CGI a ghost easily and then they could use his voice to digitally dialogue. i wouldn't be surprised to see this and it would be really cool IMO.

13. The Bops

The Bops Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    In regards to Force Ghosts taking action as opposed to just advising... I think Obi-Wan gave us a clue on Dagobah in ESB. "If you choose to face Vader, you must do so alone. I can not interfere." This suggests to me that a Force Ghost can't do anything physical.

14. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    The point of the Monomyth element is that it is human nature to both create it and understand it. Lucas used it "on purpose" to create the emotional attachement to the characters and familiarity of the adventure, where many works follow the framework "by accident" because it is natural.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  15. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    Exactly. I have had this conversation a thousand times. The same thought also came into play for Qui-Gon when the word around town was that he refused to return for Ep III. They certainly could have CGI Ghosted Qui-Gon for that scene with Yoda!!!! :mad:

I love Ewan in the PT, but I am a little disappointed that his image has taken over as Obi-Wan.

16. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I'm not disappointed that his image is that of Obi-Wan, he was certainly an excellent, younger version but he shouldn't play the aged version. I'd rather no Obi-Wan.

17. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    Stang! I don't want to see any force ghosts whatsoever, especially not Anakin.

Please leave them out of it. They have no purpose in the ST. It would just be a blatant homage for no good reason. Why on Mustafar would Luke, a 70-80 year-old GRAND MASTER Jedi still be talking to Obi-Wan and Yoda...? You'd think maybe Luke wouldn't still need his hand held by then? Maybe Obi-Wan and Yoda might like some eternal rest by then? Maybe Luke would have a more-or-less normal (alive) Jedi council by then and wouldn't need guidance from dead people.

In the OT, Obi-Wan and Yoda's force ghosts had a purpose...to guide Luke. When that purpose is no longer needed, why would they stick around?

If they do do a force ghost, I'd rather it be a Sith spirit that guides/possesses a younger Sith/dark Jedi. That would actually make sense.

18. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    He can and has, though there is debate whether it was actually Qui-Gon and not a vision conjured up.
    [​IMG]

19. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    I've heard theories that Qui-Gon's unique appearance as a full-color force-ghost on Mortis was because Mortis was a nexus of the Force, and thus allowed Qui-Gon to appear more corporeal than normally. If this is the case, physical appendices by Force ghosts is the next natural step. However, I don't want to see death in Star Wars to adopt the 'revolving-door' of death other franchises have.

20. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    Let us not forget that within an early draft of ROTJ, Obi-Wan could take material shape, and he physically intervened to save Luke from the Emperor. Not canon, certainly. But these ideas were floating around out there before the final script was set. Who knows what the land of Mickey might imagineer?

So I'll posit that, conceived by the force, Anakin can do far more etherial FG magic than Jinn, Kenobi or Yoda combined. And that rascally Emperor? It is unwise To underestimate his power.

Luke will still dress in black. He will continue to fight his own legion of internal demons as he leads a new generation of force sensitives in a quest to maintain the galactic balance his father Anakin sacrificed himself to achieve.

21. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    There is also some debate as to whether EU stuff counts. (TCW is EU, no?)

22. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    Yes and no. It's above the EU in terms of Canon, but below the films. Take that as you will.

23. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Maybe Force Ghost Anakin will pop up to counsel teenage Jedi on relationship matters.

"Dump her. You will end up killing children if you stay with her!"
    "His dislike of the sand on your homeworld is a clear indicator of a sociopathic personality."

24. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    Star Wars: 90210! God help us.

25. Lord Optimus

Lord Optimus Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 30, 2011
    I think force ghosts should be in the ST, maybe not heavily involved in the day to day operations of the New Jedi Order, but the Grand Master (Luke) should consult them about extremely important issues.