main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The role of the First Jedi

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, Dec 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    What role will the First Jedi have in Episode 8 and 9?

Luke and Rey are now at the site of the first Jedi Temple, so it seems like the origins of the Jedi are definitely going to be explored. But what role? How will the First Jedi be relevant to the plot?

What will we learn about them, that we don't already know?

2. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    I think we're going to get some great lore on a the Force itself in Ep8.

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    This was an excellent teaser. I look forward to learning about the origins of the Jedi. Maybe Luke will find that they had things right and the Jedi Order screwed up later on.

4. Friendslayer889

Friendslayer889 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 15, 2015
    Well in the Comics that marvel has released they have comfirmed that stuff like the "100 year darkness" did take place and that the sith and Jedi once were "brothers in the force", implying that maybe the first Jedi order maintained a Balance of Light and Dark and later divided into two different orders. Maz even mentioned the Sith in her history lesson.
    So perhaps luke has found Balance and unlocked new possibilities in the force and teach them to Rey. Im hoping for Force lightning Luke in VIII[face_nail_biting]

5. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Yes, I am hoping that it is about the schism between the Jedi and the Sith. And maybe that is what this whole trilogy is about, uniting the dark and the light, Jedi and Sith and ending the destructive, cyclical conflict that ravages the galaxy.

The fact that even after death the Chosen One is shifting between light and dark seems a further strong hint into this direction:

[​IMG]

6. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    Maybe Luke aims to reconcile the light and dark and wishes to find the point where Jedi and Sith first split. In the old EU on Tython the first Jedi (or Jed'aii or whatever) were more morally gray and you could totally fall to the light side and sent to the dark side moon to meditate till you came back.

7. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    I hope so. That was something that IMO was sorely missed in TFA. :(

8. El_Machete12

El_Machete12 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    Whoa what's that concept from and what is it?

Forgive the strange font my phone is making.

9. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    This is from "the art of the force awakens".

It shows a ghost of Anakin/Vader who is shifting between the light and the dark.

Thorin Oakenshield likes this.
  10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Why did Luke search for the First Jedi Temple... and what exactly will he and Rey learn from it?

Was the original Jedi order founded with a flaw, from the very start?

11. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Or they had the right idea initially, but over time cracks started to appear that would eventually cause the traditional light vs. dark conflict. So, to quote JJ (speaking on another matter) Luke "goes backward, in order to go forward).

12. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    "The belonging you seek is not behind you... it is ahead."

I wonder if that's a theme that will pop up in the ST. Maybe Luke's investigation into the distant past backfired, and he's trapped on Ahch-To or something. Sort of a lesson in relying too heavily on the past for answers.[face_dunno]

Sarge and Thorin Oakenshield like this.
  13. Thorin Oakenshield

Thorin Oakenshield Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 9, 2016
    I had this weird idea. Before the age of hyperspace people would taked years just traveling between worlds. The Jedi found Aach-to and realised it was strong with the Force. Using it's natural power they could make it a beacon for force sensitives to come to the world. So a lot of would-be students made the journey themselves. Then hyperdrive was invented ad the Jedi were able to set up a temple closer to the capitol.

So Luke has come to the temple to summon Force sensitives to him for 2 reasons. 1: To train them away from prying eyes 2: to keep them safe because no one knows it's location.

14. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I think Luke is simply seeking ancient wisdom. Trying to get at the roots of the Jedi Order to see if the modern Jedi strayed from the original path.

15. WookieeRage

WookieeRage Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2016
    Thrawn082

This is what I think may be case as well, obviously Luke went there for some reason involving his Jedi Academy going bye-bye and Kylo turning dark. I think the more we learn about Snoke the more we'll find out why Luke went to Aach-to.. Their story arc is definitely intertwined.

16. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    Given that we know that Lucas's ideas have informed at least part of the story, I wonder if some of the ideas about the origins and formation of the Jedi that Gary Kurtz mentions below could have fed into this element of the story?

KURTZ: Well a lot of the prequel ideas were very, very vague. It's really difficult to say. I can't remember much about that at all, except dealing with the Clone Wars and the formation of the Jedi Knights in the first place ; that was supposed to be one of the keys of Episode I, was going to be how the Jedi Knights came to be. But all of those notes were abandoned completely.

http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2002/11/11/an-interview-with-gary-kurtz

EPISODE 1: Was to focus on the origins of the Jedi Knights and how they are initiated and trained

EPISODE 2: Introduction and development of Obi-Wan Kenobi

EPISODE 3: Introduction and life of Vader

EPISODE 4: There were seven different drafts of the film. At one point, they pursued buying the rights to Hidden Fortress because of the strong similarities. At one point, Luke was a female, Han was Luke's brother, Luke's father was the one in prison (interesting point for some debates) and the film featured 40 wookies

EPISODE 5: Once written, the screenplay of Empire is almost exactly what is seen on screen. The only cut scenes were those involving wampas in the rebel base (cut because of time and unsolved technical glitches) and about two minutes of Luke/Yoda Jedi training with no real dialog.

EPISODE 6: Leia was to be elected "Queenof her people" leaving her isolated. Han was to die. Luke confronted Vader and went on with his life alone. Leia was not to be Luke's sister.

EPISODE 7: Third trilogy was to focus on Luke's life as a Jedi, with very few details planned out.

EPISODE 8: Luke's sister (not Leia) appears from another part of the galaxy.

EPISODE 9: First appearance of the Emperor.

http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/gary_kurtz_reveals_original_plans_for_episodes_19_80270.asp

17. PTdefender3

PTdefender3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 12, 2015
    I hope to see force ghost anakin/Vader. I think the first temple will be something about how that concept art is but generations ago

Baron_Papanerd and Wildcatbarry like this.
  18. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm looking forward to possibly seeing holocrons in the episodes for the first time. Knowing it is appearing in Rebels means they have adopted the idea as part of the current canon so it is possible... I doubt we would learn any history about the Jedi without seeing the discovery or at least acknowledgement of some sort of holocron...

Wildcatbarry and The Jaded Irk like this.
  19. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Oh my god, if that pans out I can only imagine the freaking field day Johnson had writing it.

20. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013
    I think Rey has a bigger connection to the first Jedi temple than Luke considering she actually dreamed of the place.

21. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    I think this could somehow be linked or connected to 'The Church of the Force' and maybe Lor San Tekka.

I have my theories for establishing these links but will withhold those theories for now, until some hints come forth.

EDIT: Ok, I am giving and spilling that part of my theory is that it could have some biblical parallels.

22. WookieeRage

WookieeRage Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2016
    the force is a fictional religion so it will obviously have some parallels with any real-life religion, I hope they stay away from those kind of parallels but it's going to be hard not to, spirituality is spirituality..

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  23. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I guess that makes sense. I am gonna miss the Tho Yor and the Celestials but I guess the idea of having the lack of a hyperdrive during the jedi's birth could be cool. Also having it be that the world attracted them as opposed to the symbiotic relationship they had with tython could be a cool change.

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Luke might have dreamed of it too; that could be how he found the planet. We just don't know yet.

25. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    Wildcatbarry, I think there may be some biblical parallels as well.

What if Snoke and his brother were the first Jedi and had a falling out between each other like Cain and Abel, and Snoke killed his brother and left the Jedi Temple to never be seen again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.