main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The role of the Muppets in the ST (seriously)

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Barth, Mar 28, 2013.

1. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    Sure they are, if it's subtle and in the background enough.

[​IMG]

2. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    A canteena style scene with a band playing, Animal on percussion and a drunk, passed out Kermit you just notice slumped in a corner. That gets my vote.

3. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I didn't think there was much dispute about what was and what wasn't CGI in Jurassic Park, at the time anyway. People watching it for the first time now are probably use to thinking everything is computer generated.

4. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Darth_Panicius

Darth_Panicius Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 7, 2013
    Most decent film makers these days seem to have a good balance between practical and CGI effects. Where a practical effect can be used, that seems to be the choice. However, from there they try to opt for motion capture (Caesar, Gollum, etc). Purely CGI animated seems to be the last resort now for character placement. I think we'll see a good balance of the three from Abrams.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Look at Star Trek, Abrams relied heavily on character make-up but with a anamatronic puppet head for one of the bridge aliens on the Kelvin (with I think CGI eye blinking), and there was a character with CGI eye replacement. However, there are usually more aliens in Star Wars than Star Trek (they tend to be rather humanoid affairs.) I highly doubt they'll be a main muppet character (that time has passed), expect costumes and makeup and maybe a CGI backgrounders in random shots. I don't think there will be a major character that is all CG, though.

On the flipside, the alien in Super 8 was CGI, and a big character in terms of importance, but really not in the movie all that much.