main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The role of the rebel troopers in the battle of hoth

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by -Emperor_Palpatine-, May 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Emperor_Palpatine-

-Emperor_Palpatine- Jedi Youngling

Feb 28, 2003
    In TESB, we have the rebel troppers firing in the battle of hoth. Against what?? we never saw to where they are firing. And whats the point of firing personal weapons against imperial walkers...? there were no troops on the ground to shoot at (they were carried in the AT-AT, which serves both as "tank" and "APC"). It would like be firing a machine gun against a tank (a giant tank, by the way...). Even luke said "that armor too strong for blasters" (which were much more powerful then personal rifles)

Any comments?

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    They were firing at the walkers. Even though Luke said their armor was too strong, I'm sure that if they fired long enough and constantly enough, they could break through the armor. But it would just take a long time, so Luke had to come up with an alternate plan. The troopers were just there to keep the pressure on the walkers and hopefully be able to knock one down by blaster fire.

3. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    they were there against the impending invasion--the Walker are carrying invasion troops i assume so i guess the rebels were there to fight them and any accompanying grounf forces (unfortunatly there werent any). The trenches could also hinder the Walkers i guess. Oh hell, it just looks cool, thats why they're there!! :)

4. sellars1996

sellars1996 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    Their purpose was to delay the advance of the Imperial forces so that the Rebel transports and ships with the other forces and materials could get out of the system safely.

5. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    I think the Rebels were expecting a soldier to soldier battle, and maybe even TIEs, so that's why the snowspeeders took flight, too. Then they discovered the Walkers. Rather than just run away, they decide to stay put incase troops were deployed, but continued to fire back in the meantime.

At least, that's what I always assumed.

6. _Xanatos_

_Xanatos_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2003
    If more Imperials showed up the ground troops could contact the base easier too I think.

7. -Emperor_Palpatine-

-Emperor_Palpatine- Jedi Youngling

Feb 28, 2003
    I think that the inclusion of the rebel ground troops was just to embolden the battle of hoth. There were really nothing that those troops could make in that fight. Its just for the show really.

8. Master_Y-wing

Master_Y-wing Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    Yeah, but there's always Imperial Snowtroopers in the Battle of Hoth level video games. Also, my book called The Art of The Empire Strikes Back has a painting of some snowtroopers advancing towards the front, and another pic (this ones my favorite :) ) of a snowtrooper leaning against the foot of an AT-AT, probably after the battle.

9. Rebel_Loyaltist

Rebel_Loyaltist Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2001
    A delaying tactic so they could evacuate the base and to protect the shield generator. If the shield generator was destroyed before the rebels could lift off it'd be all over for them since the Star Destroyers would've pounded the place flat. Had the imperials landed near the evacuation zone it would've been a harder fight since the rebels would've been pinned inside the base. Also they probably were storing the big artillery since they had a lot to lose at this battle.

10. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    ". And whats the point of firing personal weapons against imperial walkers...?"

They had to try something.

11. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    Its a shame the Ion Cannon didnt work the same way that a Turbolaser works,if it did the Rebels could have fired it at the Imperial Walkers and taken them out,but ion cannons dont move up and down,left and right the way turbolasers do.

12. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    That issue is addressed in the ESB radio drama. Leia asks if they could bring the ion cannon to bear on the Walkers, but Gen. Reeiken tells her that it can be lowered that close to the ground.

13. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Of course it would have been a really good idea to have no ground troops guarding the base. Hell they could have has a neon sign pointing any potential ground invasion by imperial forces to the front door of the base.

14. redleader92055

redleader92055 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 9, 2003
    the thing that always got to me is why did'ent the empire just bomb the sheild genorator with tie bombers that would have been alot easier

15. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    They couldn't get under the shield, that's why. The walkers had to march in and destroy them before any ships could approach the region.

16. redleader92055

Feb 9, 2003
    yea but a proton bomb is a projectile withch means it can go through an energy sheild unlike lasers.

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The Hoth shield was both a ray (laser/energy) shield and a particle (physical matter/ships/missles) shield. Remember, the Rebels had to lower it to let their own ships out.

The Imps had to land at the edge of the shield and march in under it to take it out.

18. ObiWybrow

ObiWybrow Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2003
    In the TESB you see a Scout Walker which could potentailly be destroyed by by ground troops (especially seeing as the EWOKS managed to destroy several).

Maybe the rebels were just being prepared for any form of attack, Maybe the rebels retreated before the ground troops were deployed from the ATAT's.

19. redleader92055

Feb 9, 2003
    that was so they could fire the ion cannon because if a huge walker could walk into it why cant a tie bomber fly through it?

20. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Because they didn't, that's why.

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I guess it would depend on how high off the ground the shield begins- could provide a very tight corridor to fly in, and, combined with weather conditions and cross-winds, could end up just crashing the bombers instead of them reaching their targets.

There's also the small matter of the Rebel's superior starfighters/airspeeders that could have taken care of the slow-moving bombers easily.

22. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    True, the walkers were durable enough to withstand the snowspeeders' attack so they could actually reach the generator. Bombers would have been easily shot down.

23. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Then the Empire would have to provide TIE-Fighter support in order to protect their bombers, which would lead to even more confusion on the Imperial side. The TIE-Fighter and bomber were not meant to be atmospheric vehicles, they were designed to be used in space combat. On the other hand the Rebel snowspeeders are purely atmospheric and would have a tremendous advantage over the Imperial fighters just with that alone. It is not a pretty sight when a strong gust of wind manages to catch a TIE-Fighter by solar panals, not very pretty at all. The X-Wing is not a atmospheric fighter either, but it still has an advantage because it is more aerodynamic when compared to their Imperial counterparts.

The ground assualt was the quickest and most efficent use of military resources that could be employed at the Battle of Hoth.

24. Melda

Melda Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2003
    I agree that the rebels didn't have a clue as to what units would be attacking them: hence the binoc close-up on the Imperial walkers.

25. Valokilas

Valokilas Jedi Youngling

Aug 28, 2002
    It is also possible that TIEs (both fighters and bombers) would fail to function on Hoth because of the cold. Remember, the rebels were having trouble "adapting them (snow speeders) to the cold." Then again, Ties are equipped to funtion in space, where it is ALOT colder. So what do I know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.