main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The role of the rebel troopers in the battle of hoth

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by -Emperor_Palpatine-, May 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senseless_apprentice

senseless_apprentice Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2002
    The TIE-Fighter and bomber were not meant to be atmospheric vehicles

Wheres the evidence to prove that TIE's can't fly in a planet's atmosphere?

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    They can fly in an atmosphere (see the end of ESB), but they are not as effective in an atmosphere as Rebel fighters, due to their being not as aerodynamic (wind gusts blowing against the solar panels, etc).

3. senseless_apprentice

Dec 18, 2002
    Well of course any one can say that. But does George acknowledge it? Do the films acknowledge it? I saw those Tie's on Bespin fly just as good as any other ship. :)

Lets see some evidence here.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, we didn't see them in any dogfighting manuevers on Bespin- they were just chasing the falcon in more or less a straight line.

And, given the Empire's lack of habit to make their fighters all-purpose like the Rebel fighters, I wouldn't expect the Empire to design a single TIE that performed well in all conditions.

5. senseless_apprentice

Dec 18, 2002
    Yeah but these are all you're oppinions. There's no real evidence to support you're theory. Thats why in my universe, they fly fine. :)

6. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    There's no real evidence? Take a look at the design of the TIE-Fighter/Bomber/Intercepor/Advanced and you can easily see that they are not meant to be in fighting atmospheric conditions. You see those solar panels? You realize that the shape and size of the panels disrupt the air flow? If there is more wind resistance then the ship can't fly as fast nor can it be as agile. The pure design of the TIEs is more than enough proof that they are designed for space combat and not atmospheric combat. They can fight and fly in the atmosphere, but they lose quite a bit of their agility and some speed.

7. senseless_apprentice

Dec 18, 2002
    We all know Lucas substitutes story for physics. Take a look at lightsabers!

I agree, they probably have less agility in atmospheric conditions, they were still giving the millenium falcon hell though. The tie interecepter looks as though it can maneuver in atmospheric conditions fine.

8. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I saw those Tie's on Bespin fly just as good as any other ship.

How high up were they? The atmosphere was probably very thin, since Cloud City has to be pressurized against it.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    In this case though, we have no evidence that Lucas has substituted story for physics in the case of the TIE Fighter.

10. senseless_apprentice

Dec 18, 2002
    LoL. You guys are hanging on by you're fingertips. The truth is that you don't have any canon evidence. Thats the truth, it is your destiny :)

I just watched ESB and those TIE fighters were flying around easy as can be. Plus, how do you think they got down from space to Bespin? Did a star destroyer Land on a one of Lando's platforms? I think not. They came down from space, so obviously altitude has no effect. Or else they wouldn't be there to shoot at the Falcon!

muahahahahaha

11. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    What don't you get?

There is no "canon" evidence? It's right there in the films. All of the TIE lines seen to date in the movies are not as aerodynamic as the Rebel fighters. It's that plain and simple. The solar wing arrays on the TIE lines are designed to provide stability to the cockpit and the fighter not to mention provide some power to the ship. The TIE-Interceptor is more aerodynamic than the other TIE classes because the wings allow for less wind resistance. In space combat there is little to no resistance that a fighter encounters, so their speed and agility lies in the specs of the machine. However, if you take a TIE into atmospheric combat against Rebel ships, the Rebels have the advantage. It's that plain and simple.

Yes, the TIEs seen in ESB were flying around as "easy as can be" because they were not engaged in critical combat situation. The TIEs can fight in atmosphere, they can fly in atmosphere, they can dodge in atmosphere (though they loose some agility and speed), they can do everything except not at the standards of spacial combat.

12. senseless_apprentice

Dec 18, 2002
    One can speculate that due to the inherent structural differences between the X-wing and TIE fighter, one could conclude that the X-wing would have the upper hand in atmospheric combat. I agree! The X-wing is also a superior fighter.

But lets not get too hasty and say that speculation is the gospel

One can speculate also that the Interceptor would be just as nimble in atmospheric combat as the X-wing, but of course

ITS ALL SPECULATION

which means, it really means nothing....

For all we know we'll see TIE fighters in Ep III performing excellent in combat conditions in an atmosphere against atmospheric fighters.

but of course, thats some speculation as well.

Over all, if you look at the films, Lucas ignores physics for a good story.

13. DarthSrnec

DarthSrnec Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2002
    I assumed the Echo Base troopers were shooting at the AT-ATs because the stormtroopers weren't deployed...and never were, the generator was destroyed before a full-scale deployment was necessary. Only a small amount of infantrymen would be needed to full subdue any remaining Rebels in the base. The Hoth troopers had to be prepared for stormies, but the Imps never needed to employ them in this situation until the generator was destroyed and the Alliance was in full "advance to the rear".

14. TripleB

TripleB Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2000
    I would imagine there were some SnowTroopers on teh ground at some point, as they tried to stop them, and we did see what one person on foot can do to an AT-AT. It is possible they had some Anti-Mech tactics ready to use, like scaling the legs and planting charges on joints, for example.

15. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Shields like the one deployed at Hoth prevent flying vehicles from entering, hence no TIEs. Walkers on the other hand, rely on simple ground traction to move, letting them go thru the shield, like the battle droids entering the Gungan shield in TPM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.