1. Oh hai Guest!

Welcome to the RPF!

Reference The Roleplaying Group

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by DarthXan318, Jan 15, 2012.

Moderators: Penguinator, Ramza
  1. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Okay, it looks like we?ve gotten off base here - I?m not sure what you?re trying to get at Draco other than that this RPer you interacted it was a lunatic and that we shouldn?t do what he did? I definitely agree that that?s not a good way to RP, but that?s not really what this topic (or this group) is about.

So let?s just move on to the next topic.

New Topic: Atonement - how to get your good reputation back. Possible or not? (Suggested by Sirak)

So it's a situation we've all been in at some point (whether in the RPF or elsewhere): you've screwed up, you know you've screwed up, but convincing everyone else you can do better is another story entirely. Maybe you left a game at a critical time. Maybe you godmoded. Maybe you just plain made a lot of people very angry. How do you convince people that you're different now, and to take a chance with you again?

edited to add: Just to be clear, let's not make this a "Let me tell you about how this other person screwed things up for me" axe-grinding kind of discussion. Let's keep it to atonement, shall we?

The Queue:
    1. Character interaction. How to build it, a lot was said about that. But how to maintain it, how to develop it and how do you include the GM? (LordT)
    2. />/>
  2. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    Kill the witnesses.[face_skull]

That being often infeasible, time heals all wounds. I can think of a few players that I initially had meh opinions of because of their play styles that I eventually came to consider fine folks to roleplay with, and that just takes time, and the practice that comes with continued posting. Don't give up just because you screwed up once, or twice, or a hundred million times.

... That said, do consider giving up if you're a spambot. I'll just ban you again, you damn, dirty machines!:p
  3. LordTroepfchen Force Ghost

star 4
    Oh that is a good one. I cannot say I ever thought a lot about atonement, but that might actually have been an unforgivible lack of attention on my end.

My idea (not practically tried):

Hm, my first impression is it depends on the "wrong-doing". Godmodding might be easy. You just show you got it. Show it in a really decisive way and do not argue with people how you should be able to do something if everybody is obviously against you.

If you drop out of a game, that is something different. The GM might hold that against you, yes. But worse, much worse he will rightfully consider you unreliable. We GMs, we all have our lists of future ex-players of our games. We know them and usually they do not let us down. Approve - a predicatable number of posts - drop-out. Fin and I used to bet on it. The point is here, stop being predictably unreliable, but stay in games. And don´t expect a second chance that is too comfortable. If you feel that is asked too much, then atonement will only come over time or not at all.

Well and if you have that problem with all GMs you might have to do something about it anyway. Sooner or later.

But anyway, I think if you avoid the GM for a while and show elsewhere you learned your lesson . . . everything will be fine. The board is big enough.

For all other things, convince people you changed (and change first, obivously) and then stick to it and after a time in games showing your growth it will be accepted.

I haven´t watched boards and games outside the ones I was in enough to predict those who destroy games and hurt them or seriously get into trouble with groups and how they can work it out. So hopefully on such things someone with much more oversight will give us some insight.
  4. Winged_Jedi Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't think "atonement" is that hard here, because we're a forgiving lot. That's partly necessity- our player base isn't large enough to hold grudges- and partly because, as ramza says, time's a healer.

If it's godmoding that's the problem, it tends to be by newbies who inevitably learn or leave. Either way, the problem's fixed. I've only seen one persistent god-moder stick around without changing his ways, and he didn't want to atone for anything. That was a long time ago.

If it's dropping out of games, then the worst that can happen, as LordT pointed out, is that GMs will deem you "unreliable". I think a great many of us have been considered unreliable at some stage and we've all come through it. While you're working it off, it's a heavy cross to bear. Feel like you've let people down. Takes time to prove yourself. You can get impatient, overeager, sign up to too many games in an effort to get involved...and then you start dropping out all over again.

My only unforgivable sin, from the GM perspective, is when a player is inactive for months without any form of contact...but continues posting frequently elsewhere on the boards. Because then it's not a DRL issue. It's just that they can't be bothered with your game anymore, and didn't have the common courtesy to drop a note. Grrrrrrr. Good luck atoning for that.
  5. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    How do you convince people that you're different now, and to take a chance with you again?

1. Apologise and mean it.
    2. Be different.

Not much more for me to add, really. :)
  6. DarkLordoftheFins Force Ghost

star 4
    As the two above pointed out, we´re barely holding grudges. And although I often do not hold a lot hope, I take unreliable players quite often. Just not in center-roles, when I GM. If someone keeps on moving around here, just not in your game, that is a different thing. It burns him on another level, certainly. But even that is forgivable, to a certain degree. You just do not get back into the circle-of-trust, I guess. Not quickly, at least.

Then there are "game-breakers" who have caused games to fail. Here time is probably all that can help. A year or so later you might try it again. The guy Draco mentioned (I suspect I know who that was) got back into a game of mine after once really challenging it. He did not harm my former game, but a year or two I owuld have simply turned him down. 3 years later, I took him again and he did not let me down. So even that wasn´t taken THAT serious.

Really constant trouble-makers are a problem, of course. I am not sure, has someone who really caused bad trouble (where Mods had to fight him regulary and so on) atoned? At some point of being a pain, you probably become too much of a burden. Really.

GM sins are also a point. If you abandon your game and ask to join others the same time, that can be a problem. I turned those guys down once or twice. But that is simply because I felt bad about seeing their games die and did not wanted to give them the idea it was "okay". Even that is forgotten a year or so later. Does also depend on the state of their games, obviously.

All in all atonement is always possible, probably. But never super-fast.
  7. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Okay, judging by the numerous number of GM perspectives we have here, maybe this wasn't the best topic for the roleplaying group. :p
  8. DarkLordoftheFins Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, the problem is that everybody who GMs has a dozen cases of people that let him down and maybe once or twice he did it himself. for every game you GM you have three or four people to never PM you. What am I saying here? I am incredibly lucky in that regard!

But is it a GM topic how to make up for leaving? I think it is a topic for both, but as we talk "about players" it probably fits here better at the end of the day. I mean, making a "crossover" thread is probably a bit too much, is it?

What is a bit regretable so far, is that mostly those people seem to post who have not had many reasons to atone for anything in the past. But I wasn´t in so many. I can´t remember having dropped out of a game, so reading it I think of those who dropped out of mine.
  9. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Well, I guess part of the problem with this topic is Saintheart summed it up so perfectly that I don't think there's anything left to say, really. :p

Speaking from personal experience, I've been guilty of up-and-disappearing too a few times in the past. Not often, because I try not to, but sometimes RL intervenes and I keep meaning to post but it's just difficult and there's no inspiration and ... anyway. I try to make up for it by just doing that: apologise, be different. People still let me in their games so I suppose it works out alright.
  10. SirakRomar Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, I think Fin is right. This is by definition a player-GM relationship topic. But as we ask how PLAYERS atone (GMs sometimes have the need for that, too) I believe it belongs here. Also the GM perspective might be needed on this one. The GM guild will sooner or lter probably ask the same about GMs.

Anyway, as a player I dropped out of two games. Since 2007 I dropped two games, both in late 2007, I believe. Actually dropping out was so popular back in those days, I probably got kinda infected by it. People just dropped out of games when it had jumped the shark and let it die. It was almost the agreed upon silent way to show your misgiving in 2007 when I registered here. Both games did probably not deserve it and unfortunsatly both were GMed by the same guy. I really digged both ideas, but could somehow not come up with descent characters within them. Writer´s block and overcommitment, I believe. The GM obviously held no grudge against me or at least I never felt one. Then again Saintheart has a big heart :p Therefore I did not feel any need for atonement. But there was a shift in attention from that point on. I first did not realize it, but then my, "my" 128 ABY split into three games and in each one spots got restricted. First nobody saw it, but it was the beginning of a wave of games with player-limitations. And I obviously wanted to be in all three of them. And then TSG, my good old friend TheSithGirly turned me down. WTF!?

I mean, why? Nobody turns me down usually when I want to enter games (happened til then a few times, but anyway I felt like I was recruited by many back then), usually people WANTED me in their games. They wanted me to play. TSG didn´t. No hard feelings she said and if it meant a lot to me - she told me - she would make space for me! Certainly! But I knew she had been in one of Saints games and it had died because of me and people like me leaving. And even though we were close and everything, I suddenly was the least reliable of all Germans for her. So when she had to kick one of us from the favourite list, it happened to be me.

Atonment? We were in dozen games since then and I haven´t dropped out of any thereafter or I did at least officially so by announcing my leave. So I hope she has no hard feelings, dammit I hope she doesn´t even remember it. But there I had my little taste in atonement. And how tricky this can be.

Over the next month player-cabs became en vogue and a lot player actually had problems getting into games. The "vote-by-absence"-system of players not showing up in games as sort of a comment had turned against itself. The rest is history.

These days I believe it has changed. Players are few and games take all of those who want to join, I believe. TORR did take everybody. My first experience in player processes. But there were only two ways to get near the main-plot of TORR I believe. And as TGI did not know you, my opinion there wieghed very, very heavy. So you wanted into the inner sanctum of plot: Then you were a newbie or you were reliable.

So the unreliable players are pushed into the supporting cast roles. Satelites of the main plot where people post fast and steady. Then again that might be perception, as I know the plots with quick posters become center-pieces, with or without GM planning. Anyway, they usually find themselves under suspision. And that makes atonement certainly harder. But obviously if you cannot do five posts in a row in a game, you do not belong there.
  11. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    I don't think atonement is much of an issue unless you're a GM and are trying to bring players in. It's clear that our pool of users is small enough and not divided along massive lines that we're all pretty much fine with giving people second, third and even fourth chances. In the end it's about having fun on the internet (a board about Star Wars, no less) with other people (in a totally safe for work sort of way), and I think we're all open to that idea very much. To me, then, atonement is a total non-issue, because I don't think any of us hold grudges deep enough to get in the way of that sense of fun and entertainment.
  12. Sith-I-5 Force Ghost

star 5
    Till I thought more about it, I could only recall two games that I had dropped out off, but those two were the most serious situations.

Turns out there have been a few games that I have dropped, reasons stemming from
    - getting ****** over by the GM;
    - getting overwhelmed by committments in other games;
    - incompatability with the GM/game;
    - known upfront that I'm incompatable with the GM/game, politely refused the GM's invite, allowed myself to be persuaded by friends to join it, and several weeks or months in, realising that this is not working.

In all cases, I have formally advised that I'm off, and wished the GM continud luck with the venture. I have cauterised the wound, and moved on, and at no point, apart from the two in the very top line, felt there was anything to atone for.

Ramza, I cannot believe that there could be any film worse than The Hands of Manos. Any film.../>
  13. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    Don't ever watch Glen or Glenda, then.:p

[image=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Sc0vcil7Xhs/S3wmPdCxbLI/AAAAAAAAAmo/vpasTyCtwlQ/s400/Lugosi_Glwen_or_Glenda.jpg]

POOL DA STREENK! POOOOOOOL DA STREEEEEEEENK!

Er, right, relevance: As Sith correctly points out, amicable partings are a good way to avoid a reputation hit in the first place, which can help keep the recovery process that much shorter./>
  14. DarkLordoftheFins Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, being a bit less optimistic one has to admit, a lot people who probably could need a good hard look at what they´re doing here did never take that look and dropped out. So, if we don´t get one of those bck we´ll probably never understand the insistence of not needing to atone for anything that leads straight into isolation.

Obviously people who are still here had limited experiences in this field. But if I think about players that have crossed my path I actually come up with a few sad examples.

Funny thing, those seemed to have taken all of this most serious. Most serious.
  15. Sith-I-5 Force Ghost

star 5
    Considering we are here for our entertainment, I think it can be too much pressure for a player to be told that HE or SHE is so important to the game, that if they leave, the death of the game is on them, and them alone.

*Buries the rest of my post, and salts the earth*

Ramza Edit: Sorry, I feel for you Sith, but this example is off-topic.

Ramza Edit 2: Further editing at poster's request.
  16. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Alright!

Look you guys I think this topic isn't bringing out the best in us. It was a good idea of Sirak's, but it's just not working out.

Let's just conclude by reiterating Saint's Two Steps To Atonement:

1. Apologise and mean it.
    2. Be different.

It's good advice for roleplaying, Game Mastering, and life in general.

We'll move on to LordT's topic shortly.
  17. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    IMPORTANT. PLEASE READ THIS POST.

Yep, red font time. This is not happy Ramza.

I'd like to preface this by saying I'm glad the topics here are generating lots of discussion - it's great to see this group, which is a relatively new sort of concept and execution, thriving so well. I've gained a lot of interesting insight I would not have otherwise been exposed to prior to this group being made. The entire experience has been eye-opening.

That being said.

Folks, this is a public message board characterized by interactions with other people. We're all human. We all have emotions we feel the need to express. We all have experiences that have affected us in a profound manner. That's good. That's healthy. And in a blog, or a private email, or a PM, or a chat with a close friend, those are perfectly okay discussions to have.

This is not one of those places.

The Roleplaying Group is not your personal blog. The Roleplaying Group is not a PM. And while we're all friends here, this is a discussion group that is subservient to the rules of the JC. It is better for being contained by those rules, but those rules have implications.

To wit: If you've got an axe to grind, do not do so here.

I get that something's frustrating, or that it was a bad experience, or that so-and-so is such a jerk. That happens. But what I'm asking, politely but forcefully, is that you try and leave that out of the discussion. Replies here need to relate to the topic at hand, and should not single out specific players or games for criticism. Broad critique of general trends you notice is okay. Criticism of disliked elements of a CS submitted for evaluation is okay. Singling out particular individuals or mentioning specific games, even in a tip-toe "This guy, you know the one" manner, so as to negatively criticize them is not okay. What that is is subtle flaming, and that's against those rules I mentioned earlier. It is of course perfectly acceptable to mention specific individuals or games regarding things you like, but the discussion could perhaps be improved by avoiding that, as well.

I realize that can sound a bit limiting, but the gist is Be nice, and try to keep your discussion applicable to more people than yourself. The RPR and this group exist to help everyone. While I don't want to have to edit anyone, I will if necessary, and depending on the nature of the edited material there may be further disciplinary action involved. Please note that said editing policy is not retroactive.

If you have any questions please feel free to send me a PM.
  18. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    ^ I agree. Let's be kind, guys.

New Topic: Character interaction. (Suggested by LordT, and I hope he doesn't mine me paraphrasing slightly)

A lot has been said about how to build character interaction. Bottom line, just tag someone. But how to maintain it, how to develop it, and how do you include the GM? What are the potential things that can happens after you develop a connection with a fellow player? How do you bring such interactions to a possible conclusion? How do you build storylines without disturbing the overall plot of the game? Can you do that in any game, or are there some types of games where it just isn't possible?

And what about rivalries and enmities? Those are perhaps the most interesting relationships, but how do you develop an in-character antagonistic relationship without letting that turn into an out-of-character enmity? />
  19. DarkLordoftheFins Force Ghost

star 4
    The interesting thing is, while we all agree to write PMs and talk in chats at the beginning of games, when it comes to progress later in the game, I always found people to handle it very, very different. Some just create an intuitive relationship between characters and interact with you in a way that leaves you both room for good character interaction. Other really plan things out, writing PMs and creating plot and background plot with you. the follow up questiosn usually depend on the approach.

I always felt the storyline between players is the most satisfying one. How do you do it without disturbing the overall plot of the game? Well, sometimes you don´t. Really. Sometimes you simply have to accept the GM might have had other plans. Usually he will not hold a grudge against you, but integrate it. I always give my GMs an advance warning. Often I hear that would not have been necessary.

Well, is that possible in any game? Certainly not for everybody. Sometimes you can do it and sometimes your character is simply alone. The plot demands it, so to say. sometimes this is restircted. There is GM stuff like fate-systems, multiple plotlines or different time zones that can keep people from interacting.

And rivalries and enmities? Well, I usually have them only with my good friends. [face_laugh] Seriously, I think those are best created among friends and people you trust.

Maybe later more.
  20. Mitth_Fisto Chosen One

star 6
    I never knew I was such a friend of LordT Fins;)

I've had this happen in a couple of games. I never initiated it, but I did have one person PM once attempting to assuage any hurt feeling and that the post they just did was in character and didn't reflect their own views. Which is one of the major points I think in this topic, players have to realize that there is a disconnect between a player and their character. For example just because LordT and Fins see fit to murder my characters I do not feel that they want to murder me. . .right? Of course they're quiet now but I'm sure they agree[face_worried]

The other way is by discussions in social threads where people might vent about their's or other's characters. Recently I vented about my character Markus and how I disagree with what he is doing and how he is doing it, but that after a certain point characters do seem to take a life of their own based on how we made them. I've seen others do the same thing, and I think it is a great way to let others know and keep it in the open.

I'm always open to these types of relationships between character, but never tried to initiate one myself on purpose. To me I always felt it either happens or it doesn't. Like Walter Matthow and Jack Lemmon, it happened in a barber shop scene off script and the dinamic duo was born. So it should be in games I feel, but it either works between character or it doesn't.
  21. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    And what about rivalries and enmities? Those are perhaps the most interesting relationships, but how do you develop an in-character antagonistic relationship without letting that turn into an out-of-character enmity?

More to add later, but in brief: first and foremost, remember it's pretendy fun-time games. Power in a shared experience that exists only via the impersonal magic of the internet is not power that you need to worry about once you turn off the machine. Sometimes, when concerned about something said online, it is helpful to say out loud to yourself what the issue is: "I am upset because a person with the self-selected nickname of DarthXan318 :D :D :D is using her wizard character to undermine the capabilities of my bloodthirsty fighter character who has no resemblance to me in real life whatsoever."

See? That feels much better, doesn't it?

:D

Even more brief: the PM button. It's there. Use it. The OOC moniker. It's there. Use it. In both cases, try "This is not me saying it, okay? My character is just a royal pain in the neck. Apologies for my character..."
  22. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    Hi. I haven't participated in a lot of things here but I can say now that I'm really glad I am reading these threads because something that has been brought up here has helped me understand my home turf (the EUC) a little better.

And what about rivalries and enmities? Those are perhaps the most interesting relationships, but how do you develop an in-character antagonistic relationship without letting that turn into an out-of-character enmity?

Wow. I'm shocked and stunned to see these two related questions. I even had to have a discussion with several people in order to fully understand the magnitude of this issue. During the discussion several lightbulbs went on about problems in the EUC. I can see but not understand how this happens. I have played an opposing character to Sinrebirth for idk how many years now and there is nothing, nothing that has happened that could make me not like him as a person and him being my friend. We've cursed each other out, we've plotted against each other, we've insulted each other but none of it is any reflection on how I feel about him. It is two characters who have a fantastic hateful relationship that is a blast to play and that's all it should be.

I can't tell you how relieved and scared I am by this revelation. Relieved because some thing make sense now that never used to make sense because I do not view my character interactions as anything other than character interactions. I'm scared that some people can't tell the difference between play and reality. It kind of makes me not want to role play here if people don't know the difference between something a character says in the moment and how I feel as a person.
  23. LordTroepfchen Force Ghost

star 4
    So, actually I think we come of as a little ore "evil" than we are, right? SERIOUSLY. It has happened that player felt personally attacked when their character got attacked. But MAN it doesn´t happen very often. Rivalries are legion here. Between characters. Each and everyone of my villains I so often played had an army of enemies. But if you take over Palpatine, you should not expect people to love you. The characters we play are most of the time hardly an image of ourselves, right? Sith Lords? Wookies? Mechanics? Medics? Those are people we play, like an actor. Why do you people think I never play a soldier? Was one. No fun to play one.

And usually people know that. NEVERTHELESS no player has the need to have his character harassed and attacked at every turn by another player. Really. So the question is, how do you build this antagonism into a good plot! If someone seriously, seriously thinks it is something personal, he simply is taking stuff tooooo serious. That happens. Course it does! But we just skipped that topic, did we?

So back to technique, because that one is tricky. Rivalry, played right. You cannot make it your ONLY option. A character can barely exist to destroy another (with some noteworthy exceptions, I know) and therefore a rivalry must be a well dosed thing. You need a battlefield. Do your guys meet regulary? Do you guys fight each other from afar? What will this battle be like? Will you even meet? Or is it a small bug scratching at a behemoth and somehow bringing him down anyway? Once you got this and a good way to do so is PMs if it isn´t obvious already . . . you can plan. Plan together and have your character plan apart from each other. Plan how much you plan. And then have fun! Don´t fix every detail.

Do it like: Okay, we meet, you kill my sister and then we go our ways, but man I´ll be hunting you and at some point (after you did that plotthing #7) we meet and then we´ll see, okay?

Involve other players. Especially if they are involved. A third person trying to make peace between parties. A lvoe itnerest getting into the line of fire? A friend changing sides? Unlimited possibilities.

Then play it out and use it. Make fun of it. Don´t we all look for something to fill our characters with? Rivalry, hatred, those are strong motivators. And the GM will not "accept them", but if he is any good he´ll "use them" to forward his plot. It is too easy not to!

So, with whom do you do it? Well, I think sometimes it is easy, because you know players quite well. The less you know a character, the more PMs might be necessary.

So for those still interested I think what such a thing needs are "examples". Two out of my player career. There would have been many, many more.

Take Mitth and Sirak and me for example in The Sins of the Saints/Fathers. I never wrote a PM to any of those two. My guy is a bad person. They got this early on I assume. I did terrible things that affected both of them. Funny thing is, my guy has some sort of obsession with Sirak´s girl. But I spend a lot more time with Mitth guy. Pretty dark stuff, actually. But did I feel I had to write Mitth a PM in which I tell him: Yeah, pal. My guy is kinda bad dude, nothing personal!

No, I didn´t. I think he knew that I would hurt him if I get the chance. It is what my guy does! I am fully aware that he will try to kill me. And possibly succeed. My character isn´t exactly made for lasting forever, you know? He is kinda begging for someone to put him down and the thrill-ride is, they have yet to get him! So if the day comes and someone got me, or I get them first, I do not expect any PMs with explanations. It is a game of life and death. I know both players well, we all play excellent characters over there who have made it unchanged into a second game and you know what? We were MEANT to fight each other with every available weapon in our arsenal. It is a life-and-death battle. The theme. The plot. From our posting frequency, I´d say Fin got us all thrilled about it. No PMs, no big planning conf
  24. Sith-I-5 Force Ghost

star 5
    Wrote up an A4 page at work, remembered how my last one turned out; erased it.

- Reading recent previous posts to see if there is any environmental, or pc/npc behaviours that my characters should be aware off, so they can react, detect, or notice in some way;

- PMing if I see the opportunity for my and others' characters to have some sort of shared history, or to seek information so I can customise my characters' reactions or attitude.

- Sometimes cooperating with players for ongoing interaction

Dislikes
    - Back room deals between players on how some conflict in the game should turn out. I am more of a shoot-from-the-hip kind of player, very stream of consciousness.

- I don't get it when players feel personally insulted or offended at something that happens in IC. I try to handle by PM, but people tend be nigh on impossible to mollify, once they have started down that path.

- I dislike people deciding on my behalf, how my characters or assets will react to things.

Pitfalls I have encountered due to character interaction

- I do love being able to play while trusting each other, but familiarity seems to breed the sort of over-confidence in others that ends up with my character being auto-hit or god-moded while I am offline somewhere down the road. I can see the early signs developing sometimes, but I feel like an ******* when I have to PM over some minor thing cos I know it'll lead to "Sithy was okay with this, so he shouldn't mind this, and it'll look so kewl!".

- Personality shifts in players that I have been mutually cooperating with over the long term. Uh, we've been doing the same thing we've been doing since X. What changed?

- My dislike of backroom deals? Hey, don't knock it till you've tried it, right? Drokk it, I tried it. Got burned.
    I used the results to provide personal growth for one of my main characters in his subsequent games.

25. DarkLordoftheFins Force Ghost

star 4
    From my side I cannot remember one single incident were my interaction with characters went wrong. No. None. The only two godmoding incidents, minor and meaningless, I´d say, did happen at first meetings of characters and were simply inexperience from the players side. Learning process. We wrote around it. No. I actually profitted from many coordinated game efforts and never suffered from them. Did a guy wrote something that went too far once or twice? Sure. But it is a written medium. A certain kind of tolerance you need here. LordDarthUmbrus declared me a Sith without warning once, I just had to make it part of my story. Problem? God, no. Do you think all Sith know in advance when they will become one? So, that was the toughest I can remember. Otherwise it is about feeling the vibe and trying ot make room. Suspicion isn´t really necessary. PMed lately with a player or two about games and the idea it could be "used against me" or "used one day to push my character into this direction again" really, really never crossed my mind.

Another point. In addition to LordTs above.

Rivalries and especially outright hostilities come with something, that is another good topic for this thread, probably. Player-death. At some point one will die. SW is a rather deadly tale. Sith and Jedi cannot part amicable forever. So if you wanna bring it to a close inform the GM of your plans and accept one of you will probably need to sacrifice himself for the story. Death scenes are usually the best, full-circle scenes to write, so make sure it is great. But if you "breed" a mortal enemy, the interaction needs to go somewhere. And as LordTs not totally correct recollection of my interaction with Sirak in 2007/2008 show . . . a duel to the death can be an amazing storyline. No other of my characters feels as complete as Eydan Skorne.

The key is viewing your character as part of a story and not as a sacred entity only you can touch. Don´t invest in him, but rather in his story.

Ramza Edit: Let's leave out the personal addresses, shall we? Counter the points, not the poster.
Moderators: Penguinator, Ramza