main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Romantic Future of Kylo Ren and Rey (Ver. 2.0 -- see warnings in first post)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by EHT, Mar 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Welcome to the new thread for discussion of the potential romantic future of Kylo Ren and Rey. This thread is a continuation of the original thread found HERE , but we're starting it as a new version 2.0 thread to give it a fresh start and to hopefully avoid the issues that got the first thread locked. This was deemed important enough to do this way as opposed to just unlocking the other thread.

So, the rules and guidelines:

• This thread is for discussion of the potential relationship between Kylo Ren and Rey, and it needs to stay on topic.
    • Discussion of the individual characters, whether that's Kylo Ren or Rey, generally needs to go in the threads for those characters. Basically if it isn't about Rey and Kylo in a potential romance it probably doesn't belong in here. If there's a specific point being made about the character that contributes to the discussion about their relationship, that is OK here.
    • Discussion of the actors themselves unless it's related to the topic (i.e. a comment from the actor about the potential romance) needs to go in that actor's thread.
    • Please cut down on posting pics of the actors. It clogs up the thread and again is off topic. The same goes for Reylo fan art; a little bit of it is OK, but we cannot have multiple posts per page that are filled with images like we did before. If that happens again we may have to just disallow images in this thread.
    • This is NOT a Reylo fan club thread; it is a discussion thread. So dissenting views are absolutely allowed here. However, as with every thread, baiting and trolling are not allowed.
    • Again, NO baiting or trolling are allowed. Anyone doing so in this thread will be banned; this is the warning. Everyone play nice and have constructive discussions. If this thread has to be locked like the first one was, it will probably be for a much longer time.

Thanks, and enjoy your discussions.

2. Jakku

Jakku Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    Thank you!

Could we possibly define from the outset what we mean by 'romantic'? The word has fluffy connotations, which seems a little inappropriate for these two characters.

I'd ideally like to have had this thread named 'The future relationship of Kylo Ren and Rey'.

3. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    FrolickingFizzgig can be your guide behind the background for the new name. We're not going to keep retitling it. ;)

4. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    could you specify how many pictures are enough? are we allowed to pictorially quote from films?

Ann Louise likes this.
  5. AnneNeville

AnneNeville Jedi Master star 4

Feb 17, 2016
    It might be nice to start out this thread with some of the more comprehensive metas from the fandom. That way when new visitors come, they'll be able to see in early pages the some of the basic ideas we've been exploring. FrolickingFizzgig, can you oblige with some of your biggies?

6. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    You can use images from the films, provided they do not come from bootlegs. I would say one or two images per post is fine, but they have to be relevant to the discussion topic. Not just lots of fanart of the Reylo pairing without any accompanying text.

FrolickingFizzgig likes this.
  7. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Yeah, there should be no romance between them at all. Not in any sense of the word. We've already seen Ren treat Rey brutally, so any interest on his part just plays on the interest some have in abusive relationships.

My sister is/was in an abusive relationship, so any idea of Rey "healing" this violent man is extremely off-putting and in my view just promotes the idea that women should stay in them, not leave.

8. FrolickingFizzgig

FrolickingFizzgig Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 1, 2016
    I thought about a title like that but then I realized we would be inviting "they're cousins omg" back into the discussion... "romantic future" obliterates cousins because this is a 21st century American children's franchise. Ren's infatuation kills Rey Skywalker and we have no reason to debate it in this thread. I'm not inviting more trolls here my broadening the name. This title is broad enough because it stresses the idea of "character development", which automatically draws more topics into the major topic.

I made a list of topics that I believe pertain 100% to the thread and deserve discussion. Why? Because we need to discuss and understand them AS A GROUP in order to discuss the main topic. The main topic doesn't exist without all these other topics. We're going to link this anytime someone tries to derail the thread from now on.

RELEVANT TOPICS

> Ren's redemption (the main topic doesn't exist at all without this topic)
    • How will it play out?
    • Who will be involved?
    • Character development?
    • What will Ren do/not do?
    • How will Ren change?
    • How will Rey change?
    • What will these changes lead to?
    > Ren's childhood/past & Rey's childhood/past (may help Rey/Ren to view each other differently)
    • Parents/familial attachments
    • Snoke/Dark Side seduction/First Order
    • Academy destruction
    • Possibility of visions
    • Knights of Ren
    • Rey's parentage/life on Jakku
    > Rey and Ren in TFA and beyond (the "future")
    • Rey, Finn and Kylo (how Finn will impact Rey/Ren)
    • Ren as the faceless villain of TFA (+ his crimes and how they will impact Rey)
    • Snoke as the puppet master/Big Bad
    • Rey and Ren's interactions (with an emphasis on chemistry)
    • Ren's pull to the Light
    • Rey's pull to the Dark
    > Textual analysis of TFA and how it relates to Rey/Ren in TFA
    • Foreshadowing
    • Symbolism
    • Narrative deconstruction
    • Character deconstruction
    • Music
    • Shots
    • Mise-en-scene
    • etc.
    > Other narrative comparisons (if they are comparable to the topic and used to emphasis a point)

> Respond to RELEVANT arguments from opposing viewpoints
    • Arguments must be RELEVANT
    • If they aren't, report/ignore them
    • If they are clearly trolling, report/ignore them
    TOPICS THAT NEED TO STOP:

> Rey Skywalker (because none of us believes she's a Skywalker, therefore the debate is pointless and belongs in Rey's Parentage thread)

> Arguments about whether Ren will/will not be redeemed (because the thread hinges on the idea that he will be. Discussion about how he will be IS relevant, discussion about whether or not he will be belongs in the Redemption Thread).

> Detailed actor discussions (a little is fine, but this belongs in the actors' threads)

> Detailed discussions about Finn (not a Finn thread or a Finn/Rey thread)

> Responding to trolls (you'll know when someone is a troll. Again, DON'T RESPOND)

9. Arcanah

Arcanah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2016
    EHT
    Can we discuss their past (TFA) of just their possible future?
    I´m confused :D

spacebaby45678 likes this.
  10. Jakku

Jakku Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    To add to @FrolickingFizzgig's list, I think we must remind ourselves that this thread is not a social club. If we want to talk about something that doesn't fit under the thread title, we need to go post in a different thread, or start a new one ourselves.

11. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    It's for discussions of their possible future together, but those points can of course be based on observations from TFA.

12. Luke Browalker

Luke Browalker Jedi Padawan

Mar 17, 2016
    Kinda a bummer to start back at page one, though. And we lose all the discussion that went on in the real thread.
    Bro well! Such is life. All good things come to an end.

13. AnneNeville

Feb 17, 2016
    (Removing redundant information.)

14. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    I just want to say that I'm somewhat disappointed that the thread is starting from sqaure one. It was a great achievement to have over 1000 pages so this strikes me as misunderstanding the community and friendship on this forum that was built within those almost 1200 pages. I know first page has the link to old page but it isn't the same if you know what I mean. Oh well.

Anyway, back to metas:

The dynamic of Rey and Kylo and how it relates to their future

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/post/141585160870/the-hero-the-villain-and-the-modern-fairytale

Film language used in Rey and Kylo scenes and how it relates to their future

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/post/141233360085/mirroring-opposites-and-the-personification-of

taembby, Reynak, Rimfaxe96 and 10 others like this.
  15. FrolickingFizzgig

Feb 1, 2016
    To any new visitors, here is a list of reading material that will help you to engage in discussion here (along with descriptions).

The Hero, the Villain and the Modern Fairytale
    > An essay that focuses on hero/villain dynamics and the history of Star Wars as a modern fairytale.

Bride of the Monstrous:
    > Discusses Eros and Psyche and other mythological tales, citing Rey and Ren as a modern "transformative" retelling.

The Descent of the Heroine's Journey in The Force Awakens
    > Discusses Joseph Campbells' Hero's Journey" trope in regards to Rey in The Force Awakens.

Mirroring, Opposites and the Personification of Yin and Yang in the Final Fight
    > A detailed break down of the final battle using film terminology.

The Force Bond Awakens
    > A breakdown of all the canonical evidence pointing to the potential of the "Force Bond" theory.

Death and the Maiden
    > A comparative essay that focuses on Gothic horror and monster movie iconography.

The Normal and Altered Futures
    > An analysis of Rey's Force-back with emphasis on Kylo Ren.

endar spire, Jakole, taembby and 14 others like this.
  16. AnneNeville

Feb 17, 2016
    vaderito and FrolickingFizzgig Great minds . . . I guess new posters won't miss these. Anything useful I can replace my post with for the first page? That will reduce redundancies and put something useful on the front page.

17. Arcanah

Arcanah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2016
    I´m sad...this feels wrong....

However, I totally see Kylo Ren and Rey hooking up together because Ren´s imminent redemption :)

Edit:
    Broda...no! not an end...a new beginning :)

Zeralyos likes this.
  18. BlackIsTheColor

BlackIsTheColor Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 28, 2016
    what if I wanted to say that , being both FS , they could develop a strong friendship bond or a relationship of mutual respect and understanding? I mean, many people aren't necessarily thinking of a lovey dovey romance. Would it be OT?

19. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    The discussion from the old thread is not lost. It's there for you to read and refer to at any time, and as noted above, that thread is linked to in the first post of this thread (together with the rules and warnings for this thread). As to the number of pages that old thread accumulated... that would be more a source of pride if so many of those pages did not consist of the very types of posts that got that thread locked.

20. FrolickingFizzgig

Feb 1, 2016
    I would say "romance" is the right term because it emphasizes attachment, connection and intimacy over sexuality and sexual attraction. It isn't gushy at all (unless you don't know what the word actually means, in which case you would probably jump to conclusions).
    As someone who spent a good deal of time in the thread, it was on-topic most of the time. It would be an exaggeration to say that "many" pages were off-topic, because that's simply untrue. The main topic just happens to include many smaller topics (mainly Ren's redemption, because the two happen to go hand-in-hand). The big problem had to do with people responding to bait and trolling, being overly sensitive, acting like victims and allowing the thread to be derailed.

Jakole, Rimfaxe96, Reynak and 9 others like this.
  21. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    I think that what we had was very good most of the time but obviously those who found something good and those who make rules aren't on the same page. Those 1195 pages meant something and just linking them to this thread is not the same and no one can say it's the same and actually mean it. And yes, we are proud of that thread even though there are posts that were meant to derail it we always bounced back because of number of posters who cared and because of quality that we put in our posts. No thread has posts that hit the homerun 100% of the time but our thread hit the homerun more than any thread I personally visited (and I don't claim I visited all cause I didn't). I don't recall other threads starting from page one after they were locked for much more serious reasons (certain "ism" was thrown around that particular thread 2 times it was locked) and those serious reasons are off topic too.

taembby, civilsecret, Reynak and 15 others like this.
  22. Luke Browalker

Luke Browalker Jedi Padawan

Mar 17, 2016
    Looking at mod responses to our legitimate concerns, it is painfully obvious that this thread is not looked kindly upon by them. Locking the other thread, then killing it, is a gross broverreaction. Instead of moderating the people that caused the problems, instead they took a "let's punish everyone for the deeds of a few."

Ban me if you want, my enthusiasm for posting is gone anyway.

taembby, civilsecret, MelBee and 15 others like this.
  23. spacebaby45678

spacebaby45678 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2016
    Fairy Dust Magic

I don't know if anyone else noticed or heard something very interesting. During the interrogation scene there is a musical flourish ( haarp) by John Williams very close to the sound of Fairy Dust magic or Fairy Godmother waving her wand. The flourish occurs right after Rey says, " I am not giving you anything" and Ren says "We shall see"

You can only hear this on the HD DVD version it sounds something like this sound effect.

I think this is further evidence of the future romance relationship force bond between Reylo.

24. FrolickingFizzgig

Feb 1, 2016
    It is fully in the rights of others to rationalize whatever they want to rationalize. We're all different. It is what it is. Some are going to be engaged in this topic, others aren't. I for one am interested in it mainly from an academic perspective. I've studied many of the mythological and literary foundations of just what makes this trajectory so compelling, not to mention deconstructed the narrative and script from a relevant perspective that took into account Star Wars' genre, history and target-audience. I'm not invested because I think everybody needs to agree (because they aren't going to and that's just the way it is). Some know more than others when it comes to the comprehension of storytelling and film, and we must always remember that.

Though I must say the attempt to dismiss the thread is a little saddening to me because I genuinely did put time into remaining on-topic, not discussing the actor and not responding to trolls. We're not a hive-mind. I disagree with and am irritated by what people say in this thread/the old thread as much as I disagree with opposing viewpoints.

I think this is something EVERYBODY needs to understand: This is a forum dedicated to discussion about a children's movie franchise. This thread deserves a place here regardless of what anybody thinks.

25. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Stay on topic. No more posting about the decision of the staff to begin a new thread for this topic. This is the warning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.