main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Romantic Future of Kylo Ren and Rey (Ver. 2.0 -- see warnings in first post)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by EHT, Mar 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    Geminiwankenobi

It's also like Hanleia. Nerf herder, Your Worshipness, it took them a while to start addressing each other as Han and Leia.

I just want to point out this inversion of Luke and Vader with Rey and Kylo. I mentioned it but I love my visuals so...

That's Father/Son dynamics that FrolickingFizzgig talked about in her essay. And this is Beauty and the Beast:

[​IMG]

And it's also "Let me look on you with my own eyes" on top of "I'm a person, not a monster".

panki, Zeralyos, BrehaSolo and 3 others like this.
  2. BrehaSolo

BrehaSolo Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 15, 2016
    That's a really great point you make about both of them having fake names.Ben choose(?) to call himself Kylo Ren and Rey choose (one of the descriptions said that a young woman leaves on Jakku and calls herself Rey,not that her name is that)to call herself Rey and they've lived with those fake names for half of their lives.Interestingly if Ben turned into Kylo when he was 15 he would be living with the name of Kylo Ren for about 14 years the same amount of time Rey had to live with her fake name.
    I wonder whether Rey will keep going by that name or she will choose her birth name after she finds out the truth.It would be an interesting contact if she kept her fake name whole Kylo decided to go by his birth name again.

MissG likes this.
  3. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    It is hilarious how far this topic has gone, and how sure some are that there is validity to it, especially given all of the possibilities (probabilities is a better word) that something exists in the story to rule it out, e.g. Rey being Luke's daughter, or the big romance of the movie being Rey and Finn.

I must say that the desire for this is kind of weird given the way Kylo treated Rey, and the way Rey saw him kill Han.

Sorry folks, but it just ain't gonna happen. Kylo is the villain, Rey is the hero.

Edit: I must say though, these kind of topics (like the Snoke is Plagueis bit) remind me a lot of the 60's and (more notably) 70's when everyone was playing rock records backwards and at different speeds, and reading REALLY deeply into album covers, coming up with all of these really strange "hidden meanings." It led to all kinds of funny rumors, such as the whole "Paul McCartney is dead" rumor. People took it all so seriously, kind of like all of these funny bits of speculation in these threads. All in good fun of course, but it really is funny how seriously people take it and how strongly they believe it even though the chances that it is true are next to nil.

4. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016

rey's name is a funny thing. We don't have a proof that it's fake but how big coincidence it would be for a girl named Rey to find a helmet with Raeh (pronounces Rey obviously) written on it?

[​IMG]

It belonged to:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dosmit_Ræh

I mean, sure, maybe Rey found different helmets and decided to keep the one with inscription most similar to her own name? Anyway, the name is written in Aurebesh;

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Aurebesh

Kylo Ren's 8-Pack likes this.
  5. Geminiwankenobi

Geminiwankenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 10, 2016
    In the words of snoke and kylo "we shall see" I can promise you that it will happen. Kylo is not a bog standard villain. Also Finn and Rey? wouldn't be the first time JJ has set up a misleading romance at the start of a film, only to have the characters end up with their actual soul mates later.

We also have on set confirmation that Finn appears to be with another woman in the new film, not Rey

Also I find it hilarious how we are all ridiculed and laughed at by random people who just don't understand why so many people (mainly people who work in production, study film, study storytelling)are seeing this on screen. we will have the last laugh, I can promise you that.

6. FrolickingFizzgig

FrolickingFizzgig Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 1, 2016
    Rather than being immediately skeptical and dismissive of a notion simply because you don't understand it, perhaps it would be more productive to ask questions or do a little reading? Attempt to comprehend Ring Composition or narrative analysis, coming-of-age stories, children's fantasy, Star Wars in general? Not everybody is going to be immediately drawn toward this particular trajectory, but as someone who has studied storytelling, character deconstruction and narrative design in school and recreationally, the immediate dismissal of the factor that gives a film its most artistic elements is what I personally consider to be hilarious.

This is not about romance or a silly, frilly love story between the bad-boy villain and the cinnamon roll heroine. It's about two individuals who represent opposing forces finding balance in and belonging in each other, about harmony and what creates it.

7. Darth_Awekened

Darth_Awekened Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2016
    But I saw something totally different on the screen, from the atmosphere, dialogue, acting..(the first thought which crossed my mind was: Oh well! Solo junior is falling in love, he is a bit wierdo but who cares..).

I did not noticed anything else at the time (I was totally in shock after Han got killed), but I left the cinema with the impression that they are probably going to redeem Kylo/Ben using his feelings to Rey.

Of course I started to search on the net and read people s comments and reactions...and I discovered that I am a "shipper" (or whatever it is the term), a trash (lol), and of course, crazy and pretty much evil..another LOL.

Until I found this thread (the original one to be honest ;) )

So, as you see I found out I am not alone in my "craziness" and I like very much your constructive discussions over here.

Keep it up!

I will drop by from time to time to add some "wisdom" if the time allows...

Saracene, Sangha Ren, MelBee and 6 others like this.
  8. BastilaBey

BastilaBey Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 19, 2016
    Lee_

You're right, we are all having fun - on this and every other thread. We only have part one of a trilogy so far. How many people 'knew' that Vader was Luke and Leia's father after the first movie was released? How many saw the twin twist coming?

If you take the time to look over any of the metas at the beginning of the thread, you might see where a lot of us are coming from. Even if it all turns out to be a huge red herring, the film makers have deliberately used tropes that set up the potential for some type of Kylo/Rey relationship in the future. At this point, enough people have noticed that there is something going on between these characters that it would seem a very strange decision for Disney to have made. I would have thought that they'd want to stay as far away as possible from the incest mistake of the OT.

You say that Rey is probably a Skywalker and that she and Finn will be the epic romance of the trilogy. If it's probable, doesn't that make it…a little boring? Too predictable? If both of those things roll out just the way you expect, what type of twist are you hoping for in 8 & 9? Doesn't sound like you expect Kylo Ren to be redeemed either, but please correct me if I'm wrong in that assumption.

9. Rei of Sunshine

Rei of Sunshine Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    1st bolded:
    all those you mentioned have been countered in our 1st thread, which makes your using the word "Probabilities" a correct choice. As they also may Probably not happen

2nd Bolded:
    JJ is that you? No? Rian? Neither? So I wonder why you're so sure it won't happen.

10. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    The only immediate dismissal is you. I read the reasons people thought this in the thread (and the thread before it before it got locked).

It really isn't that you know more than me about anything in particular, it's just that I think the idea is silly, and disagree with you. You can study narrative and character development for 100 years, it doesn't give you any more ability to see the future than anyone else. Just an FYI, there are people on these boards with a lot of years of studying such things that disagree with you, so your appeal to authority is unimpressive to me.

As far as understanding SW, and where they are likely to go with the next 2 movies, I think it is anyone thinking they would take it in THAT direction that doesn't understand SW. But as another said, "we will see."

11. IoJovi

IoJovi Jedi Master star 2

Feb 8, 2016
    Oh good lord.

12. Geminiwankenobi

Feb 10, 2016
    Lee_

You don't have to call us silly for our opinions, not at all do you? Why can't you disagree without personal insults?

We already have a skywalker descendent, no need to clog it up with two.

What we are sorely missing in this trilogy is a kenobi...oh I guess he's just gone forever, or secretly hidden there the entire time.

Her being a kenobi would tie in with ren being a skywalker descendent much more than the idea of her being a skywalker.

Heck people say the movie needs to be about a skywalker, well he's in the next one, why do we need 4 skywalker bloodlines in this movie?

13. BastilaBey

Feb 19, 2016
    You are perfectly entitled to disagree with others on this thread, but how about proposing a counter argument? What are your reasons for being so sure that Rey is a Skywalker and that she will end up with Finn? What are your thoughts on the Force Bond possibility? Do you recognize elements of Bastila and Revan in these two new characters? Genuinely, I'd be interested to know, but it's not really enough to just come in and tell us you think we're silly with nothing to back it up.

14. What Girl

What Girl Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Can you link to the source please? :)

15. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    ROFL. I see why they wanted to keep trolls out of this thread- reactions are quite strong here. :)

16. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    it is so hard to find the new thread

17. Geminiwankenobi

Feb 10, 2016
    So you are admitting to trolling?

What reactions? Posting a counter argument to your comment/admitted trolling?

18. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    No, I was pointing out the religious-type reaction, as if I was in church and said Jesus never existed. :)

Darth_Pevra and Dra--- like this.
  19. FrolickingFizzgig

Feb 1, 2016
    Artistic analysis is generally considered to be quite fundamental when it comes to understanding the logical trajectory of a narrative. If you don't agree, great. That doesn't mean the text won't prove you wrong in the long-run. That said, you're entitled to your opinion. I'll never agree with it, but it's yours to cherish for as long as you see fit.

Please understand that none of owes anything to the Star Wars franchise. If you ultimately dislike the future of this Trilogy you'll be able to hate on it forever. The same goes for any of us. If this Trilogy ends up being about Rey getting "gooder" and Kylo getting "eviler" with zero character development, I'll be keeping my money and moving on because at the end of the day this is just a film series.

Valency Jane, Ohtze, Mana and 4 others like this.
  20. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    I just want to comment a bit about "trash" thingy. When TFA opened on December 18 2015, first wave of Reylo fans (for those who don't like term shippers) was still conditioned to think that Rey had to be a legacy character. So since TFA debunked Rey Solo, conditioned thinking immediately shifted towards Rey Skywalker aka Luke's daughter (since she wasn't Hanleia's). Because of that, very first wave of Reylo fans called their ship "trash" as in "it won't happen cause they are related but I'll ship them anyway". Fast-forward three months. Reylo is no more a trash ship because enormity of fandom, that grew rapidly and steadily ever since the movie opening, changed the perception of the ship from trash to canon. NowReylo fans subscribe to "Reylo is the biggest proof that Rey and Kylo are not related because there's nothing familial about how their scenes were shot, acted, written, etc". Numerous fantastic, quality essays were written about the couple, fan art is phenomenal, fandom transcends cultures and borders because the story and characters are timeless and now even people associated with SW are giving it their nods. So, yeah, we've come a long way.

Valency Jane, Ohtze, MelBee and 4 others like this.
  21. BrehaSolo

BrehaSolo Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 15, 2016
    Another interesting parallel between Kylo and Rey is that Han makes offers to both of them offering are ya job and asking amyloid to come back home)and both of them refuse after being tempted to accept.
    I never noticed that but someone on tumblr pointed it out and I thought it was cool.People are noticing little things they haven't before now that many of them have watched the Had version.This thread is going to get even more awesome when the Blue Rey is officially released.:)

Darth Dementor and Zeralyos like this.
  22. What Girl

What Girl Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I know! I feel like that's partly the reason it's slower than the original thread - maybe a lot of people just don't know about this one yet. I'm normally a lurker, I'm not really as great at analyzing details and coming up with amazing plot speculation like most of these folks, but I've been trying to post more to keep the conversation going at least. Hopefully more people will find this and rejoin.

23. BastilaBey

Feb 19, 2016
    Thanks for that explanation. I agree, if they are thinking of a potential relationship between this protagonist and antagonist, it would have to be executed very well so as to not appear controversial. In my opinion, it all hinges on whether or not Kylo Ren could be redeemed. Rey is not likely to fall to the dark side, although the Gray Jedi poem at the beginning of the novelization hints that they could eventually both end up somewhere in the middle.

24. Geminiwankenobi

Feb 10, 2016
    You don't have to leave,I would welcome a proper discussion

But at the same time would appreciate not being told we are a cult following and silly just because we disagree with you. It's very condescending.

spacebaby45678 likes this.
  25. FrolickingFizzgig

Feb 1, 2016
    If you have a good argument to make either make it or move on.

The fact is I've been here for 2+ months and I've yet to see a real argument founded in the comprehension of the text itself. You may say that there are "lots of people with counter arguments who are educated," but... yeah, I haven't met them. Tons of "I want this" and "I don't want this", but zippo as far as analyzing the artistic components of the text goes. They would rather pretend the film was randomly thrown together and wasn't the product of an auteur's conscious decisions. That tells me all I need to know.

I can see why you would say that. This thread used to be a pretty comfortable place, but things have changed a lot.

The dismissal is what bothers me the most, not disagreement. People can disagree with my opinions all day and I'll likely never change my mind if the opinion is objective, fair and founded in my own skill-set.

If you genuinely have questions about the topic or want to know more, don't hesitate. We do want to hear opposing arguments, but we're not going to play nicely if you bring up the same redundant arguments we've all heard a hundred times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.