main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Root of all Evil?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by SithLordDarthRichie, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    Ummm... panties too tight?

2. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    And while Opus Dei may really exist, they do not enforce corporal mortification!

3. Lord-Wiz

Lord-Wiz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    no, why?

did i say that they did?

4. Moylesy

Moylesy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2001
    It's a matter of choice apparently, perhaps we should ask Ruth Kelly

5. To_Mega_Therion

To_Mega_Therion Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 9, 2005

I didn't see the program but I wish I had done. It sounded interesting.

The problem with the whole religion versus science debate is that none can be fully proved. You can take sides and "prove" what you like with very questionable evidence. I personally do not believe in a creator God, and I don't pledge myself to any deity, but I also do not deny their existence. Because seriously, who knows? It's the same with evolution, is it coincidence that life has been created and sustained? The very fact that we are all conscious learning beings is far too much of a big thing for us to be here accidentally...

I think people think too hard about this stuff. How someone can whole-heartedly believe in some mis-translated thousand year-old book word for word is beyond me. But the reason doesn't matter, and I don't mind what people believe, it's only when they try to force their beliefs on me I tend to get a little critical. One of the worst answers I've ever got from a Christian about their bible was "If we knew everything as a fact then it wouldn't be a 'faith'"

I kinda hate monotheism. Why would a God create us? What's the point?

Okay, I've probably contradicted myself several times already...

Basically, the concept of God and ordered "worshipping" is completely out-dated. The reason people created such concepts was because there was no other way of explaining things. Now we have science, which however isn't infalible, it does hold a lot more water in my opinion. I think what religion is based upon, a basic idea of kindness to others and self enlightenment is very valid today. I try to live by this, as I'm sure most people do, even though I don't worship. If there is a God, would he deny me access to heavin becuase I didn't believe in him but still abided by his 10 commandments?

6. Jedi_Loon

Jedi_Loon Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 15, 2002
    Isn't the entire premise of this book a prank played by bored French playboy who wanted to be descended from the Merovingians? Or something like that.

Whoops I didn't mean to say that at all! :eek:

What I had meant to say is that the premise of the book is wrong and this idea of Da Vinci being head of a secret organisation was made up by a bored French playboy, blah blah blah.

7. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    Its just appears that you seem to be very non-relaxed or something with yer answers as if yer annoyed with something. But hey... if yer getting worked up over a book then whatever floats yer boat.

Ah Ruth Kelly- witch and sadly from here!

8. Lord-Wiz

May 20, 2005
    TK, i'm not worked up over a book dude. all i said was i liked the book, and got pounced on.

no worries.

9. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    lol hope ya didnt think i was pouncing on ya- cuz my post was nothing serious- hence the *does a richie* at the start and the :p at the end!

10. Lord-Wiz

May 20, 2005
    no worries dude [:D]

:p

11. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    lol i aint bloody hugging! :p

I thought you would have recognised my pounces by now! :p

12. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I agree the Da Vinci Code is good, and in some ways its not entirely unbelievable (except for the bits about God and Jesus being his son :p )

After all, we know Jesus existed cos its been proven, but I very much doubt he was the son of God.

There are a number of things that religion has claimed prove God is real, but some have been proved wrong.
    Take the Turin Shroud for example. Many powerful religious people claimed that it was used to cover Jesus' body, but carbon dating proved it was made much later then the time Jesus was around.

And in regard of Wiz's demand for a source, I very much doubt I could tell you the name of every newspaper or magazine article I've read and TV show that I've watched over the years that has mentioned the stuff I and about 3 other people mentioned.

Both FatBurt and Jedi Loon have both pretty much said the same as I said and have not given links or source names of their info, probably for the same reason as me, and have not been badgered about it. And the fact that you feel I would invent things to prove my point I find insulting.

^ I think you'll find those answered your question, if you have actually read them.

13. Lord-Wiz

May 20, 2005
  14. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Glad you find it funny :p
    Now, back to the topic

Heres something I thought odd. What happened to all the Gods that the Ancient Egyptians worshipped like Anubis, Thoth, Ra, Horus etc?
    What happened to all the Greek Gods Zeus, Hera Hades etc & the Roman Gods Jupiter and Apollo etc?

Why were they suddenly abandoned when they had been worshipped for many thousands of years?
    If these Gods were real then surely they'd still be up there now and wouldn't be happy they've been ignored all these years.
    Why did they not smite those foolish followers who abandonned them in favour of a single god?

You cant just suddenly say a God no longer exists in favour of another God. Gods are not for you to toy with. They are supreme beings with powers beyond any man.

Why do these abandonned Gods do nothing?
    My answer is - Cos they dont exist

But if anyone else can give me a good reason to the contrary I'd like to hear it

15. Moylesy

Moylesy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2001

Well that just shows how you should never rely on hearsay or depleted memory cells.

Evidence;

The Bible states: "At the end of a hundred and fifty days the waters had abated; and in the seventh month, on the seventeenth day of the month, the ark came to rest upon the mountains of Ararat."

Note that the phrase "mountains of Ararat" is used here which points to the Ararat Mountain range in Turkey.

The Koran states that the Ark is at rest in the "Cave of Judi".

Now, there is a Mount Judi and a Mount Ararat in the Ararat mountain range but they are 200 miles apart. "Wreckage" of a ship-like structure has been spotted (and photographed) on both Mountains but to this day no material has successfully been retrieved and carbon dated to a logical time period. In conclusion, there is no tangible evidence to say that the Ark exists.

16. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    The Roman God's were eradicated in a wonderful display of poilitics. As fOr the whole God issue, I point you towards the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy:

"I refuse to prove that I exist." says God "For proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing"
    "But" says man "the Babel fish is a dead give away isn't it? I mean, it could not have evolved by chance. Therfore, it proves you exist and therefore by your own arguements you don't exist."
    "Oh dear," says God "I hadn't thought of that." and God promptly disappears in a puff of logic.

17. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003

=D=

I did find an online article in National geographic about the "Ark" debris found on Ararat but forgot to post the link (I'll see if I can find it later.

I've nicked a good and entertaining theory on that from a fictional book which actually sounds plausable (if gods did actually exist) I'll try and put a version of it up here later that is understandable (along with the Ark link)

18. Jedi_Loon

Oct 15, 2002
    Heres something I thought odd. What happened to all the Gods that the Ancient Egyptians worshipped like Anubis, Thoth, Ra, Horus etc?
    What happened to all the Greek Gods Zeus, Hera Hades etc & the Roman Gods Jupiter and Apollo etc?

Why were they suddenly abandoned when they had been worshipped for many thousands of years?
    If these Gods were real then surely they'd still be up there now and wouldn't be happy they've been ignored all these years.
    Why did they not smite those foolish followers who abandonned them in favour of a single god?

Interesting question this, I shall have to look into it (It'll take me a couple of years :p) but I think you may find that all the 'writers' of the later Roman Empire (Which covered all the places mentioned) were political or public figures and therefore were Christians due to politics. I think that mystery cults were popular in the later Empire, like the cult of Mystra (a Persian God I think, vagueness) so the sources may just not mention the old cults. Religion could possibly be seen as fashionable in this period so certain cults go in and out of fashion while the official religion carries on regardless. This may of course be rollocks, like I said I'll have to look into it.

The British Isles retained its old goods which got combined with the Roman Christian God so this may have happened all over the Empire. I recall seeing certain mosaics which have the Christian God as its centrepiece with the old pagan Gods on the outside.

So? they could have ?gone out of fashion? been absorbed by newer religion, just not written about or now I think about it these Roman types did like to execute non-conformists? I?ll be back in two years with a fully sourced and probably badly misinterpreted answer.

19. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    To be honest I have even considerd the whole becoming a christian thing whilst at my lowest ebb and depression- my reasoning was that i need SOMETHING to live for and wasnt happy with how my life was going and would it make me a better person etc. But in reality I feel its nonsense- but never say never. Though I think thats why most 'turn to christ'- its always in their darkest hour and when the bible thumpers seem to manipulate best. Ya dont see some totally happy chappy with life 'turn to christ'- its just a hope for some people imo- which if it gets them through the day cant be wrong.

20. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I agree with you to some extent there but it's when the rabid bible/koran/insert religion of choice here thumpers pick on the weak and insecure and indoctrinate them into it that I disagree with.

I've stopped getting the bus to work now as I got harrassed everyday by a group of bible thumpers whilst going to work (and I was trying to doze too!) They were saying crap about me being tired because I didn't have faith in my life and when I said it was actually because I had a 6 month old/hangover/late night due to game playing I got all sorts of agro.

Child= Has it been christened? No. I'm now a heathen with a godless child.
    Am I married? No. I had to get off the bus and wait for the next one here.

Hangover= I rely on bear as my emotional crutch when I should infact embrace the light. No I was at a party last night and feel the worst for it. I should have been contemplating life in the spirit of the lord.

Game playing= I'm not even going to start.

Now these were extreme example of what I had to put up with and they happened about once a week over a 2 month period (before I started driving in)

I consider myself to be quite strong willed so they were just really annoying with me but I can imagine how they could break down a weaker/insecure/emotional person and get them to agree to come to some sort of meeting to discuss in and help them get over it.

This approach is just brainwashing. For me if you decide you want to take a faith it should be by your own volition and not by manipulation.

21. Jedi_Loon

Oct 15, 2002
    rely on bear as my emotional crutch

Who's bear? Someone special in your life? :p

22. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    bear = beer :oops:

At work and not concentrating properly

I think I may have selective dyslexsia

23. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Either that or you cant spell :p

FatBurt makes a good point about the Bible thumper people. I dont like it when I'm harassed and given lectures cos I dont believe in God or follow his supposed rules.
    Religions shouldn't force people to believe things or follow their ways if they dont want to.

The history of Religion is full of that sort of thing, and I think its very unfair

All these religions should learn to exist together.

The Wicker Man is a good example of religious intolerance

24. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    What amazes me, that even though Religion shouldn't be rammed down peoples throats, why do they teach Religious Education in schools? What would happen if the student were to say that he doesn't believe in religion, and the notion of religion goes against his beliefs (or lack thereof)?

25. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.