main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The ROTJ SE Finale

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by ratmankey, Apr 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratmankey

ratmankey Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    This has bugged me ever since 1997, but nobody really seems to understand where I'm coming from on this. Hopefully somebody here will.

Personally, I always liked Yub Yub. I was kinda upset when I saw the SE and found out it was gone, replaced by "some Yanni new-age crap" (as I put it at the time). Over the years, I've grown to admit the new music IS more appropriate.

Except for one thing.

It's the very end of the film. Right before the iris out/credit sequence. Every SW film to date has had a perfect segue from the finale music to the credits. Even when the finale is somber (ESB and AOTC) it still manages to work. Yub Yub worked perfectly too. The strings and "real" chorus start taking over once the spirits appear, and it hits this high note at the end that blends perfectly in with the credits.

The SE music does NOT work in the same way. We get this little, kinda subdued (it's mixed pretty low on the soundtrack) phrase that's repeated twice, and then we're abruptly thrown into the credits. It feels really sloppy, and doesn't flow well at all. Musically, there's very little feeling of ultimate climax that the last episode should have.

I may not be explaining myself well (kinda hard to explain music via text) but...does anybody else feel this way? If, god forbid, Williams rescores the OT, do you think this little bit should be altered?

2. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    I have no problem with the transition in ROTJ.

What I do have a problem with is the transition in TPM where Augie's Municipal Band ends in a completely different key than the End Credits begins with. It should be fixed before anything else, I think.

3. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Well_Of_Souls I agree completely.

4. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    The ROTJ segue ain't great, but I'll gladly "suffer" through it in exchange for no more Ewok song.

Rick McCallum loves you!

5. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    AdamBertocci I agree completely.

6. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    Mace Windy is dead sexy.

//crosses his fingers in hopes that strilo will once again "agree completely"

:cool: Mace Windy,
    this signature blows!

7. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Mace Windy I agree completely.

8. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    OMG! No, please, no alarms now! :p

Actually, I don't think I've ever seen a pic of Master Windy, but what the heck, I'll agree too. :)

9. Melda

Melda Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2003
    Yes, I see what you mean (ratmankey). It doesn't seem to have the right mood, even. I would imagine after the final battle against the Empire (EU notwithstanding) that there would be more of an upbeat celebration... but that could be just nostalgia for the originals...

I, for one, do not like how it 'segues' into the credits(due to the fact that it simply doesn't). It builts up... hits the last note-- then there's a pause before the credits... start. Not consistent with the rest of the series...

10. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999

Windy...
    [image=http://www.raceworx.com/funnypics/gayalarm.gif]

In response the thread, though, I LOVE the new SE end music for ROTJ, and I have since the minute I heard it. It's so much more meloncholical and IMO, it really "makes" the scene for me. Especially when everyone is hugging near the end and Lando is laughing and Chewy shouts joyously and... Ahhh, it's just perfect. And it's one the only three scenes at the end of movies that has made me cry. :_|

Anyways, as for the segue into the credits... On the CD, there is a break after the ending track and the ending credits, but in there movie there isn't. I'm not sure why they did it like that, but they did. :) Go pop in the movie if you don't believe me. :)

11. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    I've always hated the new ROTJ:SE finale cue. On CD by itself, it's not that bad. But in the film . . . ugh! I still don't like it. It totally clashes with the rest of the score. The original Ewok music was more appropriate-sounding than the new piece.

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    It never ceases to amaze me that there are actually people out there who do not like Victory Celebration and want that horrid Yub Yub piece of crap back.

13. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    \\agrees with stri\\

14. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Is it really such a shock that some people prefer the original version that they've been listening to for almost fifteen years? Of course some people are going to hate when someone takes away something they've liked for that long and throws on some new piece of music that, like I said, clashes with all the rest of the music and sounds completely inappropriate and out-of-place.

15. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I love the ROTJ SE Finale very much.

It's the best ending I could ever imagine for the saga.

The track just has the "everything is finally over" :p feeling. It's very relaxing, emotional and makes me very nostalgic. [face_love]

16. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    It's sad and happy at the same time

and I never noticed anything with the End Credits, except for the discrepancy between CD and movie

TLJ loves VicCeleb

17. Melda

Apr 27, 2003
    Actually, Sithman, I see what you mean.

I just watched Return of the Jedi again and I must say that the celebration music does not disagree with me as much as I seem to have remembered it did.

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Uhh sithman likes the ending for the ROTJ SE....

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Is it really such a shock that some people prefer the original version that they've been listening to for almost fifteen years? Of course some people are going to hate when someone takes away something they've liked for that long and throws on some new piece of music that, like I said, clashes with all the rest of the music and sounds completely inappropriate and out-of-place.

Well OK. Now imagine hating that musical ending for 15 years. When someome takes away something you've hated for that long and puts on a piece of music that is as amazing as Victory Celebration, how much that must have improved the ending of ROTJ for us. :)

I get a kick out of how you think that Victory Celebration sounds different than the rest of the music and completely inappropriate and out of place, yet the equally different and completely inappropriate and out of place Ewok song, you liked.

19. han_solo_321

han_solo_321 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I like the Yub Yub music but it dosn't fit well at the end of ROTJ I like to new music better!

20. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I never minded the "Yub Yub", but I must say that Victory Celebration is superior.

21. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    There is, actually, an inappropriate edit going from the ROTJ:SE to the end credits. The new celebration music ends on a Bb, and the end credits start on Eb. The transition should have been smooth, but they felt the need to overlap the notes: the last Bb from the celebration and the Eb of the end credits are right on top of each other, so it doesn't sound quite right.

22. Melda

Apr 27, 2003
    "Uhh sithman likes the ending for the ROTJ SE...."

Yes, and I was saying that I saw his point when I rewatched Return of the Jedi -- the music is not as bad as I thought it was.

;)

23. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Yeah stri, he wasn't disagreeing with me. Even on the contrary he went so far as to agree with me. :p

Another thing I really love about the mix on the CD are the background noises and organic sounds that pop in every so often. They're so random, yet they contribute immensely to the overall "feel" of cue, IMO. :)

24. Emperor's Prize

Emperor's Prize Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 1999
    I have to admit that I, too, really enjoy the Victory Celebration. I was one of those people who never did like "Yub-Yub" and always felt that IT was out of place. I think the Victory Celebration is a beatufil piece of music and fits the mood much better (victory and melancholy). Although, I am not so musically versed as to be able to distingush the different keys between the celebration and the end credits -- so there goes my credibility :D.

25. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    You don't need credibility to post here. Otherwise I wouldn't be here ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.