main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Royal Handmaiden Society: Episode 8: A New Hope

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by HandmaidenAnde, Apr 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandmaidenAnde

HandmaidenAnde Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 25, 2001
    Welcome to the official thread of the Royal Handmaiden Society. (Accept no substitutes.) You just can't keep a good thread down. You might say we're a force to be reckoned with. <Crickets chirp, and Andé nervously shuffles through her speech notes.>

Yes, the RHS is back. Again. For the eighth or ninth time, depending on how you're keeping track. Who are these insane people you ask? What is their purpose? Well, we're here to promote truth, justice, and the American?wait, that's not right. <more shuffling> We're here to spread the joy that is the dreamy Obi-Wan Keno..darn, hold on. <hastily looks through piles for her set of back up note cards> Ha. Here it is. We're a group of loyal Star Wars fans who feel Queen Amidala's handmaidens have played an important role in that galaxy far, far away. We feel these brave ladies have been overlooked and under appreciated. We're here to spread the word of all things handmaiden.

Our first glimpse of the handmaidens was in The Phantom Menace. There, we were introduced to the Fab Five: Rabé, Eirtaé, Saché, Yané, and last, but certainly not least, Sabé. I'll leave some of the more qualified members to explain more about the characters and the actresses/models who played them. <That's your cue, guys.>

When Attack of the Clones arrives in theaters, we will be adding even more names to the elite handmaiden list. Being spoiler free, I can't comment on this aspect too much, so once again, I will need assistance from my colleagues. <Psst. That's you again.>

So pull up a keyboard and stay awhile. Many of us have made our first posts in the JC in one of the RHS threads. We love having new people join our ranks, and you won't find any flames here. Our "rules" are few and far between.

Rule 1: Please note that Natalie Portman did not play Sabé the decoy handmaiden. She was portrayed by another, equally talented actress by the name of Keira Knightley. Keira just looks a lot like Nat, which was the point.

Rule 2: Try not to mention a certain bald, albino bikini model bounty hunter. She is highly overrated, contributed nothing to Star Wars universe, and got dolls and comic books dedicated to her character when everything handmaiden is still referenced as Queen Amidala. If you feel you must mention her, please refer to her as A**** ****. Thank you.

Rule 3: We debate endlessly about Handmaiden Identification (HID) and are rather confident about our conclusions. However, everything is labeled with the trademark RHS 99.9% accuracy, so don't be hesitant to question.

Rule 4: Always remember that "We are brave, Your Highness."

MTFBWY,
    Andé?the loyal handmaiden

2. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    <stands and applauds>

BRAVO! Well done, Andé!

In honor of this most recent attempt at thread-fortitude, I move that we celebrate!

<whistles>

Now if a few of you would just give me a hand with this....<tall, grandiose looking cake-like concoction appears>....cake, anyone?

Other business: for those of you who are interested in becoming a member of the RHS, with all it's perks and privleges ;~), here's the oath:
    I, <name>, pledge my full support to ensure that the RHS threads will continue in a fun but clean manner, in order to ensure our respect to the handmaidens whom we admire and adore.

As an official member of this thread, I will give my 100% support in order to make sure that the RHS continues in a fashion that is acceptable to everyone involved.

The RHS banner:
    [image=http://www.delanet.com/~kpfeiffe/RHSBanner.jpg]
    "We are brave, your highness!"

WELCOME, everyone!

3. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    Wahoo! I am here!!! The third one too! :cool:

~*~Bria

4. princess-sari

princess-sari Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2000
    And I get to be #4!!! :D

I am so glad to see the RHS live on after being DELETED. :_|
    The boards just didn't feel the same without the RHS to visit. :)

5. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Welcome, Bria and princess-sari! Please pass on the word about our new location as you have the chance! Cake? <offers a plate>

6. Bria

May 15, 1999
    Sure! You can count on me to spread the word. I know just the person who might be interested. :)

Let's not forget... the HMs need more recognization when it comes to icons. Unfortunately we haven't got many shots of Dormé, and *none* of Corté (at least that I am aware of), but we could use more of the TPM handmaidens. :)

Check them out (under characters)

~*~Bria

7. princess-sari

princess-sari Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2000
    I agree about the icons. Kreleia's are lovely, and I would love to see them uploaded!

Oh, and I made a couple of Dormé icons...here's the link to them--just click on "AOTC Icons" or "Handmaidens." :)

And I'll try to help spread the word about the new thread!! :)

8. Jedi_Cyana

Jedi_Cyana Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    Hi...I'm a newbie and I just came across this site, somehow...
    Can I join?

P.S.- How many people here vote for a Sabe/Obi relationship?

9. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Jedi_Cyana--anyone can join! Just read the rules in the first post, and post/take the oath mentioned in the second post. Welcome!

Well, here's a start for Dormé:
    GB's Dormé Page

I'm still working on it. Of course, we should list all the RHS members' HM pages somewhere in these beginning posts...hmmm....

Also, lest we forget: (information saved from QG'sP page)

-------------------------------------------
    EP I Handmaidens
    Keira Knightley played Sabé in The Phantom Menace.
    She was born in Scotland in 1983. Her father is the British actor Will Knightley, and her mother is the Scottish former actress, now author and playwright Sharman MacDonald, who received the Evening Standard Drama Award, in 1984.

Keira's acting career began in 1994. Her first role was that of Natasha Jordan, in the movie A Village Affair. One year later, she played the young Celia Graves in the movie Innocent Lies. That same year, Keira appeared in the episode Swan Song of the popular British show The Bill. In 1998, she played the young Judith Dunbar in the Drama series Coming Home.

Keira's latest role to date was that of Rose Fleming, in the mini-series Oliver Twist (1999), aired in the UK and in Canada in December 1999.

Her most memorable role was that of Sabé, the Queen's decoy and most trusted handmaiden, in Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace. Much confusion has arisen over this, both on the character and actors level, causing many people to think Natalie Portman played both the Queen and her decoy, even when both of them were onscreen. Natalie Portman herself has said so, as has casting director Robin Gurland. The following quote is from Robin Gurland:

"One of the hardest roles to cast was that of Sabé, the handmaiden that fills in for the Queen when she is in hiding. Orignially we were going to use a stand-in, but that was before we found a girl by the name of Keira Knightley. She was only fourteen at the time of principle photography, two years younger than Natalie Portman but nevertheless the resemblance is striking. I wouldn't be surprised if she fools quite a few of the fans."

Lucasfilm didn't give Keira much credit for her role in The Phantom Menace, and mispelled her name as "Kiera Knightley" in the movie credits. Sabé doesn't even have a profile on the Star Wars Official Website, while many less important characters do.

------------------------------------------
    Karol Cristina da Silva played Rabé in The Phantom Menace.
    Born in Brazil in 1975, Karol Cristna is currently working in London as a model.

In 1996, she was cast to play one of Queen Amidala's handmaidens, Rabé, in Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace.

It would be only as another extra, if she had not fallen in George Lucas' good graces. That made her gain more scenes and also a small speech. "Hard was to hear my parents wondering if those sentences were everything ", she says.

Even so, Karol Cristina was enthusiastic about it. She takes theater classes and dreams about new works in theater.

She has recently appeared in the movie Dead On Time (1999), in which she played a nurse.

Friday 'Liz' Wilson played Eirtaé in The Phantom Menace.
    Her birth name is Friday Wilson, and her actress name is Liz Wilson. She is sometimes credited as Friday 'Liz' Wilson.

Before playing Eirtaé in The Phantom Menace, she appeared in another movie, Life 101 (1995).

Candice Orwell played Yané in The Phantom Menace.
    She works as a model, and she is represented by the Storm model agency. You can go to Storm's official website for more information.

She was featured in the February 1997 issue of Elle (UK), May 1997 issue of Elle (US), August 1997 issue of Elle (US), and the March 1997 edition of Vogue (US).

She was chosen to play Yané in 1996. The Phantom Menace is the only movie she has ever been in.

------

10. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Yaaaay, we're BACK!!! :) :) :)

Though it seems strange to say "no spoilers" when the whole Jedi Council BANNER is a spoiler! (Hey, guys, some of us are trying to AVOID seeing pix of EpIII here!)

Ah, well. Time to pass out the gingerbeer and brew some cappucino. Cut me some cake (but just a sliver; I've joined Weight Watchers --10 lbs so far, woo hoo!).

--Renata

11. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Glad you found us, Renata! <passes over cake> Congratulations on the success! And don't worry...this is a special Nubian recipe, very low-cal/low-fat/full-flavor. ;~) And we can all schedule a session in the training room afterwards, if needed. :~)

12. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000
    I'm back! I've been AWOL showing up very sporatically for a while now. But maybe I'll stay this time. :D

13. Jedi_Cyana

Apr 1, 2002
    I, Jedi_Cyana, pledge my full support to ensure that the RHS threads will continue in a fun but clean manner, in order to ensure our respect to the handmaidens whom we admire and adore.

As an official member of this thread, I will give my 100% support in order to make sure that the RHS continues in a fashion that is acceptable to everyone involved.

Question: In the movie, who was Eirtae, the one with the accent, or the one with the blond hair? I also envisioned her as the accented one.

14. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    FateNaberrie--it's good to have you back!

Rabé was the HM who spoke in the "Ani-can't-count-scene" and Eirtaé is the blonde. :~)

15. Jedi_Cyana

Apr 1, 2002
    Oops....well...my Sabe/Obi fanfic has her as the accented one...what should I do now? I already posted it.

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=6260091&start=6260204

Somebody please read and reply! Or else I will feel stupid when i keep updating!!
    *pathetic*

16. Jedi_April

Jedi_April Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 1, 2002
    I'm here!

17. Bria

May 15, 1999
    Yeah! I brought FateNaberrie back! :D

~*~Bria

18. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Welcome, Jedi_April!

19. Jedi_April

Jedi_April Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 1, 2002
    Hi Gentle Bant! Thanks for inviting me.

20. Yui-chan

Yui-chan Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2001
    Heyyyy I'm here! I offer a moment of silence ("....") for the passing away of the old one. That's where I first began! Oh well... we won't let a little deletion to bar us, won't we? Viva la RHS! ^_^

21. Cindé of Naboo

Cindé of Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2000
    Yay! The RHS is back and as great as ever! (though it would take a good long time to get this thread as long as the last....by the way, what in the name of all that is Nubian happened to our thread??) Anyway, that thread was also the first one I posted on - the first post I ever had at the Jedi Council forums, in fact. So I look on it with great nostalgia. But I also have great hopes for the future with this new thread. :D Er...that's all for now. :)

22. jeditictac

jeditictac Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 14, 1999
    wee i made it here. thanks to gb's kind assistance. it feels kind odd posting to the rhs and having that post be on page one. lol. oh well.

hello to everyone :-D

23. Jedi_Cyana

Apr 1, 2002
    Does anyone know if Sabe'll be in the next movie?

And does anyone have a good picture of the handmaidens? I can't find any.

24. Cailina

Cailina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    Cailina carries in Pierogies and chocolate bunnies

What? Easter sunday was yesterday and my mom always makes peirogies on easter! And I brought some chocolate easter bunnies to celebrate the creation of a new RHS thread.

25. Saché of Naboo

Saché of Naboo Jedi Master star 2

Sep 23, 1999
    Hey all!

Just checking in and correcting a point made by Gentle Bant

Veronica Segura plays Cordé and Rose Byrne is Dormé.

Someone got their episode 2 HMs a little mixed up. *G*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.