main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Royal Handmaiden Society: Episode 8: A New Hope

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by HandmaidenAnde, Apr 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Would somebody object if we maybe restarted this thread when we reach 100/200 pages (dependant if you have 25 or 50 posts per page). I'm personally not too fond of when threads get so big that they are almost scary.

2. Lady_Eirtae

Lady_Eirtae Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 16, 2005
    Restarted the thread? Sorry, maybe I am just still a newbie, but what does that mean?

3. Sabe126

Sabe126 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    This is old news, as the web documentaries on the DVD were originally on the web (duh!) but there is a split second shot of the handmaidens in doc number 9 - Pick ups and Reshoots. It is 2 mins and 17 seconds in and lasts for 2 seconds. You only see their back view in the distance and they seem to be following Padme somewhere in her apartment.

4. NabooPop

NabooPop Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2000
    Good idea Obi Anne. I was going to save a copy of the thread again when it got to 200 pages anyway.

Lady_Eirtaé, I think this just means starting a new thread which would probably be called "The Royal Handmaiden Society: Episode 9: A New Thread" or some such (Andé and GentleBant and others are much better at inventing thread titles) and everybody would post there instead of here.

5. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Yeah that's what I mean, I find that sometimes too big threads are a bit scary, it's nice to refresh them some time.

Also on the DVD in the Within a minute trilogy I'm sure that you can see quite a lot of Fay David, and isn't that one of the persons credited as a standmaiden? I think it's in one of the first parts, about the art department.

And I found out this Sunday that there isn't only female handmaidens around.
    [image=http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/bandykullan/creations/PB130006.jpg]

6. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Hey! I was about to mention that! [face_frustrated]:p

How does Episode 9: Revenge of the Handmaidens sound?o_O

7. Lady_Eirtae

Jun 16, 2005
    Thank you NabooPop. And I can agree, it would be good to have a new thread.

And I have not had time to check all the different parts of the DVD, but now I definately have to look for the handmaiden footage. It is there right? I have sadly not checked out the webdocs, but I always wanted to check out them out.

8. Sabe126

Sabe126 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    KnightAnder - Great minds etc etc :)

LadyEirtae - Yes, the 2 seconds of Handmaiden footage is there. Although it is on a screen that George is watching, so you don't see it that clearly but anything is better than nothing!

Has anyone found any other clips?

9. Eirate_rules

Eirate_rules Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2005
    *knocks on door of library*
    *Gb pokes out head*
    GB:What?
    ME:Mind if I join you? *holds up Pride and Predjudice*

10. bobilll

bobilll Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    ObiAnne - That is the scariest picture ever.

Plot bunny!

11. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    that's exactly what I was thinking when I saw it. :eek:

~ aeryn

12. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I hadn't thought about plot bunnies, but now I can definetly see them. [face_devil]

13. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    Actually, I was referring to the picture.

~aeryn

14. Eirate_rules

Eirate_rules Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2005
    That's weird and creepy.

15. rabe_rocks

rabe_rocks Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 28, 2005
    o_O Ditto

16. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Here's a photo from the book Star Wars The Chronicles:prequels that I found in the lit forum. It's some nice HM pics there. The book seems to be rather pricey though, I think it's been mentioned as around 140? or something.

17. Lady_Eirtae

Jun 16, 2005

Ohhh...Obi Anne those are great! There are so few handmaidens pictures from Ep III. However, the book is very pricey. I looked it up on Amazon and the list price is $150 but it has been knocked down to $94.50. Still high, but a bit more reasonable, in my opinion.

Oh and also, this was something I was thinking about a bit ago. I think that there should be a book about the handmaidens or at least one of them. There are books about many other character, and numerous EU ones. I would love to see a book about any of them. Or even if they were not a main character, they could still have a somewhat large role. Just something I was thinking about. It would be kind of interesting to see what happened to Motee or Elle after Episode III, or while we have come up with our own thoughts, find out what happened to the other six.

18. bobilll

Aug 8, 2002
    Well there's always Queen in Disguise! (those pictures are awesome!)

But yeah, sigh, all everyone wants to write about these days are clones and bounty hunters. sigh.

19. HandmaidenAnde

HandmaidenAnde Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 25, 2001
    Good grief, there is so much to reply too! I'm so behind. Hope everyone is doing well. :)

ObiAnne, great idea about starting the new thread. Like the idea of waiting until page 200. I think that will make this our largest thread! We last over three years and two films. Go us! Like Knight Ander's idea of Revenge of the Handmaidens. Any takers for the first post?

And ObiAnne again: thanks for posting those pictures. The handmisters are a little scary, but that book scan is great! I definitely will be getting that one if only for the shiny Moteé pictures.

bobill, have to agree with you. Although Queen in Disguise is a kid's book, it did a better job of portraying our gals than most of the other EU.

Did a slight update to the site. Include DVD captures, including the web documentary and the Episode III scans from the Dressing the Galaxy book. Not only are there ten handmaidens at Padmé's funeral, but we've got four different costumes. They reused the maroon cloak and the Episode I Senate cloak. I thought it had been mislabeled at the exhibit, but after reading it in the book, I rewatched the scene and you can see it.

My deluxe Dressing the Galaxy book arrived on my doorstep today. It's huge! And heavy. I was all excited when I realized some of my fabric swatches were from Moteé's lilac gown. The DVD was rather disappointing as it was mostly old documentaries from the DVDs. However, one of them I hadn't seen before. They did some quick flashes of costumes and I recognized handmaidens right away. (Rather sad, actually.) So, step by step, and we've got some new pics.

Side Moteé like the Chronicles book
    If only this picture was clearer!
    Poor Cordé

Think that's all for now. Hopefully I'll get some more updates done for the site. Hope all those who celebrate have a happy Thanksgiving. I'm thankful for you guys! :)

MTFBWY,
    Andé...the thankful handmaiden

20. Lady_Eirtae

Jun 16, 2005
    That is really cool about the costumes being different. I really am going to have to check those out in the funeral scene!

And I think I also am going to have to go in search of the "Queen in Disguise" book, even if it is a kid one.

21. bobilll

Aug 8, 2002
    RHS update! Yay! Happy new piccies!

I'm probably really slow, but that person on the FIDM: Dressing a Galaxy cover... is that Portman wearing the Apailana suit? Hmmm...

22. Apailana

Apailana Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 19, 2005
    Bobilll: Apailana wears an amazingly similar dress to the one worn by Amidala. The main differences, obviously, are the colours. Apailana's is light purple and gold/silver, while Amidala's is more blue-purple and tan, iIthink.

so, Apailana's and Amidala's if you want to compare....

i do hope thats what you were asking :oops:

also, im just making sure: you said there were ten handmaidens attending the funeral? is there any where where i can get a complete list...?

23. HandmaidenAnde

HandmaidenAnde Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 25, 2001
    Apailana, did you want a complete list of which handmaidens? We don't know which handmaidens were there exactly. The set diary lists ten handmaidens and you can see them in various shots on our Funeral page. Two handmaidens behind Jar Jar and Boss Nass wearing a reddish gown. Four flanking the coffin wearing the green gown. Two handmaidens following in the Episode I Senate gown. And Apailana's two in the maroon cloaks. I'd like to think that some of Padmé's past and present handmaidens were in attendance, maybe flanking or following the coffin.

bobill, in the Dressing a Galaxy book, Trisha Biggar mentions that she wanted Naboo to have a certain dress code and ceremonial regalia. She wanted Apailana's funeral gown to tie in with Amidala's gown from the first film.

Question to those who play Galaxies. Does anyone know anything about Apailana's succesor, Queen Kylantha? Apparantly she is an EU character in one of the Galaxies books. I'm off to research, but I thought maybe someone here may have heard of her.

Have a great week everyone!

MTFBWY,
    Andé...the sunny handmaiden

24. Apailana

Apailana Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 19, 2005
    well, I was looking for a complete list of handmaidens in attendance. But if that is not in exsistance, i guess its hard to ask for one :p

25. Darth_Vaderous

Darth_Vaderous Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2005
    No need to restart the thread, even though I'm not even a part of this Fan Club or anything I've seen threads with 10,000 pages, and I had my posts-a-page set to 50.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.