main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub The Royal Handmaiden Society: Episode 9: Revenge of the Handmaidens

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Knight-Ander, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    It seems as if the flame gown is in Europe at the moment. These photos were taken at "Star Wars - a musical journey" in London this weekend.
    [image=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b384/nlindenj/a%20musical%20journey/S5001484.jpg]
    [image=http://lh6.ggpht.com/_QdiBfh5pCq8/SeIjwXdqJfI/AAAAAAAAIis/9F9NNlTgQRs/s512/ST832350.JPG]

They have paired the flame gown with the wrong Amidala though. The "Star Wars - a musical journey" is said to go on tour, but I haven't heard where too. I guess one can only hope that it will pass close enough to me so that I can go and see it.

And why haven't people taken more photos of the flame gown?

2. Lady_Padme_Organa

Lady_Padme_Organa Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2006
    Great pics, Obi Anne! I guess whoever arranged the dummies was either not a big Star Wars fan or else they didn't really care. o_O

I wonder if there is a website one can go to in order to discover where the tour is going? If there is, I'd love to be able to visit, even if it'd just to be to see if the tour would be stopping anywhere near me! (Or you!):D

3. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I tried my best google-skills yesterday to find anything about the tour, and I didn't find anything. Maybe it was just a rumour, even if I think it's a lot of work to make the whole exhibit for just two days of performance.

4. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    I saw a news report on this last night! It's definitely in Europe...they didn't mention where or when any stops were, though.

My husband called me over and I saw the exact same display that ObiAnne posted.

Hmmm...more research, methinks, is in order.

5. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I can't believe that people only posted one pic of the gowns, if it had been me I would have filled my memory card in my camera (like I've done twice with the gold gown).

6. QueenArdnassak

QueenArdnassak Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 30, 2009
    Those pictures are so great. I love the flame gown, it's one of my favorites.

Star Wars the musical show, huh? I might have to add my googling skills to your force.

7. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    All I kept finding was that dates were to be announced soon for the European tour.

I wanna' see!!!

:~)

8. Lieutenant Piett

Lieutenant Piett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 1999
    Greetings from long since hence, fellow R.H.S.ers!

Astonishing as it seems, it is true that come this autumn or so, the R.H.S. will celebrate its tenth year (!!?) of dutiful, purposeful existence. And as such, I must call on handmaiden "Verité" who would say, "plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose" (she's French, or perhaps Canadién) -- you know: "the more that things change, the more they stay the same":

• We are still advocating dynamic characters in the SW universe whose deeds still go underappreciated;

• The "outside" world of SWdom is still awash in misinformation, disinformation, or just plain denial (what's that about a quizmaster DJ who said the HM's weren't "canon"? Grrr);

• We are still haunted/insulted by a certain insignificant, bald bête noire of a quasi-character -- an orange-and-white lens-smear from TPM -- who for some non-reason gets endless accolades whilst our dynamic, effective ladies-of-laser are relegated to a parody of a pin-up;

• The media still hasn't figured out the whole NP/KK thing;

• We are still acquiring new members! Welcome, n00bs!

• I'm still slacking here at w*rk, hitting boards.theforce.net when I should be doing databasey stuff.

So, if nothing else, we have proven consistent and steadfast . . . much like an HM herself. :cool:

Anywé, the reason I hologrammed back here to-dé is because April 30, in more Earthly traditions amongst Celtic, Gaelic, Saxon and Scandanavian cultures, is Beltane, or Walpurgis Night (-nacht), a ritualistic recognition of the arrival of Spring / the growing season / hopes for forthcoming good crops and livestock this year, etc. etc. Together with May 1st, it makes for a heckuva big bonfirey celebration.

So in reading up on it, I come across this website about the celebration in the Scotland system, and about certain traditional roles played in the formal Procession. (Here comes the relevance) One such role is the "White Women" (re: their garments), who serve the May Queen:

"The procession is led by the May Queen and her entourage: four Handmaidens (north, south, east and west) and a cohort of White Warrior Women. The Handmaidens and White Women protect the May Queen and attend to her later in the evening in her otherworldly bower. They are the order and discipline to the red mens? chaos and misrule.

A white woman encompasses many aspects of a warrior. An army of strength and protection to surround and ensure the safety of the court at Beltane. Each white woman is a part of a well-oiled machine, sure and steadfast in her role, each a heartbeat, part of the rhythm of the ritual."

Sound like anyone we know...??

Q: Which HM celebrates the arrival of Spring each year?
    A: Maydé

**Piétt**

P.S. Oh, er, a month+ later: thanks for the Happy Birthdé acknowledgement, GB!

9. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Fantastic research, Piett! That's the kind of thing that I'm sure GL found when he added the handmaidens to the cast of TPM, but something the common fanboy and fangirls wouldn't notice.

I'm still trying to figure out what part bounty hunters have in mythology. [face_thinking] :p

10. HandmaidenAnde

HandmaidenAnde Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 25, 2001
    Hey everyone! I am so very excited! Just wanted to pop in and let everyone know that our dear and lovely GentleBant had her baby this morning!

Just got off the phone wirth Mr. GB, and here's the sitrep:

*Baby boy born at 6:00 a.m. PST.
    *Weighs in at 7lbs 5oz and is 20.5 inches long.
    *Lots and lots of hair!!
    *Only three hours old and according the proud papa is a cutie and very mellow!
    *No name as of yet.

GentleBant and baby are both doing well. She's sleeping at the moment, but everything went fine.

So, congratulations, blessings, and warm thoughts to baby and his shiny new family.

MTFBWY,
    Andé...the excited handmaiden

11. NabooPop

NabooPop Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2000
    Congratulations to Mr & Mrs GB!!!!!!

And many thanks to HandmaidenAndé for letting us know!

12. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Very interesting about the maydé maidens...

And a big congratulations to GB and the rest of the family!!! And a big welcome to the newcomer in the family! [:D]

13. Lady_Padme_Organa

Lady_Padme_Organa Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2006
    That information is certainly interesting, Lieutenant! Thanks for sharing it!:cool:
    And many, many congratulations to GentleBant and her family! A baby is always a happy occasion (though very painful from what I've heard. . . ). A baby boy is especially nice. I'm glad Ms. GB and her son are okay. Thanks for informing us of it all, Handmaiden Ande!:)

14. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    So today it's 10 years, since our dear ladies made their entrance into the greater Star Wars universe, and made numerous watchters totally confused on the decoy thing.

15. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Ah, what an anniversary!

I actually didn't see TPM until June...! I remember driving my husband nuts; I told him during the scene in Watto's shop, "That's not just a handmaiden! That's the *queen*!"

Thanks for the congrats...now if I could just get a little sleep. :~)

16. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Well, I had to wait until August, the end of August even, before I saw it. I was really happy when the rest of the films premiered at the same time in most places around the globe.

17. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    I saw TPM when it came out on VHS...im a dissapointment.:(

18. QueenArdnassak

Mar 30, 2009
    Okay, this is way late, but...

CONGRATS ON THE BABY! (The way I figure, I'll make up for being late if I say it bigger. Hey, that rhymes.)

I actually saw TPM years after it came out (I'm 14 now, and didn't see my first SW film until I was 12 [face_blush]) because my mom wanted to see if I could do a summary on a movie. I did really good on it too. I enjoyed the movie.

Wow, ten years of people like us trying to get the handmaidens noticed and ten more years of the rest of the world paying more attention to certain bald bounty hunters... *grumbles* That's so unfair. The handmaidens deserve way more attention than the aforementioned bounty hunter. *grumbles some more*

*bangs head against desk screaming "Those girls deserve more attention than that... thing!"*

19. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Don't feel bad, I think it's great that new people find SW, and the handmaidens, even if they weren't there to see it on the big screen for the first time. I didn't watch SW until I saw it on TV when I was around 12, I skipped ANH as well and jumped straight to ESB, in fact the first time I saw ANH was when I saw ANH:SE in the theatre. I guess that's why I don't hold it as high as many other fans, it simply wasn't the film that made me a fan.

20. Hernault

Hernault Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 5, 1999
    It could be the decade thing, but hello.

21. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
    Since we're reminiscing about when we first saw Star Wars, I'll admit that I think I first saw it on my sixth birthday when my parents took me to see it in the summer of '77. I'm not 100% sure about the date, but that sounds good to me. :)

Oh, and a belated happy birthday/lifeday to baby-Bant number three!

22. NabooPop

NabooPop Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2000
    Hernault, welcome back!

23. QueenArdnassak

Mar 30, 2009
    UPPY!

Where is everybody?

24. Specterace

Specterace Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2005
    I'm still here. Just, uh, been kinda busy these last few months with finishing up college (I graduated a couple weeks ago). But I'm still here, still loving the handmaidens and still trying to come up with suitable last names for them (I was inspired to do this by the whole thing with Padme's last name meaning "mother of twins" in Egyptian Arabic). I'm Having limited success on that front, but it's coming along nonetheless and I'm having fun with it.

So, a question to all of you: Do you guys think that Sabe ever suspected that there could possibly have been a connection between Padme and Leia as she tutored Leia on Alderaan? She would have kept her suspicions secret, for sure, but do you think she ever once flashed back to Padme as she saw Leia growing up?

Specterace

25. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
    We've been scared away by the new Sith-theme border. [face_worried]