1. Oh hai Guest!

Welcome to the RPF!

RPR Archive The RPF Community - "Around the Boards" Launching Pad

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by Imperial_Hammer, Apr 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs

star 5
    ***The RPF Community - "Around the Boards" Launching Pad***

[image=http://www.gerhards.net/albums/sts120/sts_120_170421main_payloadatpad.jpg]

One of the ways we can get the word out about the RPFs is by using the Mod Squad's "Around the Boards" feature to our own benefit. Around the Boards is a thread the Mod Squad posts every two weeks in the Communications forum to allow for folks on the boards to know what other people in other areas of the website are doing. As of right now, we've not been using this feature, but I really see no reason why we shouldn't.

Now, of course I can put up "state-sanctioned" things in there, like RPF Adoptions and Rules discussions and things like that. But it would also be good to have a place where players can bring their games into the spotlight for other users who might be interested.

So, here's my idea on how to do this:

Rules

1.) For interested GMs, they would need to post in this thread a description of game (1 to 5 sentences) and a link to their game. An example of this would be:

Interested in playing a Senator in the fast paced life of galactic politics? The Star Wars Galactic Senate Game is looking for Senators! Come on by if you want some more intrigue and manipulation in your life!

This will allow me to copy-paste your description right into the Around the Boards feature when its developing in the Mod Squad.

2.) Games will be featured on a first-come, first serve basis.
    3.) Games will be accepted in groups of three per each "Around the Boards" Feature.
    4.) All games posted must be open to new players. Games both in the start up phase or actively role-playing will be allowed. Games clearly not accepting players will be taken out of the roster when their turn is ready, and if word comes back to me that interested players were turned away from an advertised game (without good reason), this service will be barred to the GM involved pending a PM conversation with me or Saintheart.
    4a.) If by the time your game is up, and you're no longer accepting players, feel free to post or PM me that you want to be taken off the list.
    5.) GMs can only enroll once a month. In other words, two Around the Boards features must pass before you can put your name on the list once you've done it. Players not following this rule will be taken off the list by me automatically.
    6.) Enrolling games on the list that are not posted on the boards is allowed so long as the game will be up when your turn comes around. Any games being put on the "Around the Boards" feature that are not open when their turn comes up will be dropped automatically, and the corresponding GM will have to resubmit again.

And I think thats it. Its very straightforward. Questions and discussions about this service only can be posted as well as GMs wanting to have their games put up. And as always, my PM box is eternally open.

I also reserve the right to change and alter these rules should they become inexplicably terrible :p

-I_H

***The List***

Now Recruiting for: Around the Boards - 4/30

1.)
    2.)
    3.)
    4.)
    5.)
    6.)

And so on and so forth.../>
  2. darth_nemisis Force Ghost

star 6
    Ah...this is a very good idea. Good thinking, Imp. :)
  3. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Chosen One

star 6
    I suggest promoting the Dungeons & Dragons rpg, even if they have to wait those who are interested would know about it and sign up. AND if Saint gets enough he MIGHT be encouraged to expand the party to more than 8 players. It may be pratical to limit the party to 8 or less for tabletop, but this is the internet and keeping track of everything is a lot easier then real time playing.

As for the Star Wars games... maybe the Legacy game?
  4. LightWarden Force Ghost

star 4
    No, we're not expanding to more than 8 players, as we were aiming for four to six to begin with, and more than eight is simply ludicrous. This is the internet, meaning more players screws things up even more because you have to wait more for everyone to post. I've done this several times before, and nothing sucks more than waiting on some moron. Though if someone else wants to start up another D&D RPG, it'd be more than welcome.
  5. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    Agreed with LightWarden, and I've already notified Hammer that "Tide of Flames" is out of the running for that very reason.

And let me put in an echo of support for his call for another D&D RPG to start up. While it's probably shooting myself in the foot, I've got a good 4 or 5 people on the waiting list who're champing at the bit to play D&D in the post-by-post format.
  6. Hammurabi Force Ghost

star 4
    That actually sounds like a good idea. We've got a hit on our hands - there's clearly demand for it. If we can find a GM or two, I say we go ahead with it.

I'd be interested in joining, even though I've got little experience with D&D. I've always had a slight interest in it.
  7. Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs

star 5
    Hey hey hey hey hey hey hey...

*Points to first post*

This thread is here for that whole "Around the Boards" thing...

Sainthearts d&d game ain't goin' up, because he as GM said that he didn't want it up....

Any talk about other d&d games should be moved to the guilds, resource threads, or what-have you....

Nooooowww....

Any other GMs out there that want to use this feature?

-I_H
  8. BobaMatt TFN EU Staff

VIP
    star 6
    Great idea! I had actually just PM'd Hammer about something like this without even knowing this existed...nice...that particular PM was concerning my new RP, which is based on a premise that's an oldie but a goodie.

Star Wars: Episode VI - As Father and Son

An RP making use of a classic premise: what would the last installment of the saga be like if Luke joined his father on Bespin? Play as your favorite canon movie character, a canon EU character, or use your own OC. Join us. It is your destiny.
  9. Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs

star 5
    There are at least 2 spots still open for a bump in the upcoming 4/30 Around the Boards feature. Anyone whose eligible and wants this should speak up!

-I_H
  10. BobaMatt TFN EU Staff

VIP
    star 6
    Count me back in, actually. I'm looking for some new players, now.
  11. Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs

star 5
    Alrighty Boba...

B/c you had your chance last time, you go back to the bottom of the list...

But since you're the only one on the list, you go back to #1!

Also, the first post has been slightly tweaked. GMs using this service that reject players from their game for good reason will not be barred from using the service further. :)

*** Next Around the Boards is 5/14! If you're looking for new players and want to advertise in Comms, post it up here! ***/>
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.