main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPR Archive The RPF Community Council

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by NaboosPrincess, Dec 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark-Enigma

Dark-Enigma Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 8, 2006
    Prodigious thanks, Tyi. I'll check out the webpage, as it seems newbie-friendly. Happy birthday as well. :)

500th RPF Community Council Post! [face_dancing]

2. Rayson

Rayson Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Engima: If your looking for color codes, also, one of the best places to check is webmonkey.com and then go to the colorcodes link. You'll find the most common Hex Codes.

3. Dark-Enigma

Feb 8, 2006
    Thanks Rayson, I'll look into it. :)

4. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    For exact hex codes that is a good place, Rayson. Although, if you are simply after all the named colours, try here Enigma: Clickity click click click

5. Rayson

Apr 10, 2002
    Well, this morning I decided I didn't like my current "Non-SW Forum" banner, so I got to work.

Here's the original (For those of you who still like it more): Original Banner

The new one: Version 2

And the resource banner, once more: Resource Banner

Well, I suppose I've got too much time on my hands today...wow..

I had the day off, what do you expect? :p

6. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Hmm... They both have Sam Fisher, but the Second has Bond.

7. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Got to be Bond. I plump for the second banner.

8. LadyZaraMarta

LadyZaraMarta Jedi Master star 5

Aug 21, 2004
    Rayson, perhaps I overlooked, but I did not see any females shown in either of your banners for the new non SW RPG.

What about pirates? I'm sure when 'Pirates' is released in July there might be a pirate rpg popping up.

9. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Rayson, I am not sure which banner I like more, your original, or version two. I like the colors for the ver.2 better, but there doesn't seem to be as much to it as there does in the original. Perhaps if you add more to it, like Pirates like LZM has suggestted, it would be a great banner! :)

If I may say as of now, I say we use Rayson's banner for the Resource Forum. It is a very good banner.

I_H: I am loving your Olympic Games idea...Though, it is unfortunate to see it as big as you might have wanted it. :( I think I would definatey join the RPG.

10. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    I find these banners to be lacking Batman. Clearly this is an oversight on your part.

11. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Ah yes....a very good point LightWarden. We can't not include Batman in the non-SW banners. He is definately a must..

On a similar note, the Turtles are a must have too! :p

12. Rayson

Apr 10, 2002
    ...:eek:

Your...your right..I didn't include Batman..oh my..I feel so..so..pitiful. This must be fixed. Also...I like Pirates :p

Edit: I added a picture of the Bat Signal, as well as a picture of Zelda..thanks for making me realize my banner was a tad sexist :p

Here's the edited version: Version 2

13. LightSide_Apprentice

LightSide_Apprentice Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 22, 2001
    Hello RPF kiddies, we've chosen a banner for the new forum, so the wheels are in motion :) Please be patient in the meantime, and know that submissions for [future] banners are still welcome, but are preferred to be sent via PM, as they may only be used at some future point, if at all.

14. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Hello all, good to see you all didn't break anything while I was busy with RL stuff. But my RL issues have all been handled(read as: TAKE THAT YOU PAPERS AND TESTS! I'LL GET AHEAD OF YOU NEXT TIME!). :p

It's great to see a non-SW forum spring up. I've always wanted one of those to become reality and it is great to see there is finally enough support for it and a staff able to make it happen. I forsee great stuff in the future and just hope you all don't mind me meakly making my way back into here and helping to shape the RPF from this point on.

Humbly yours,
    BaSSiL.

P.S. I need to start working on a Gundam RPG for the new forum. Gotta have Gundam, yep yep.

-~This is no Zaku, Boy. No Zaku!~-

15. LightSide_Apprentice

May 22, 2001
    Things wouldn't be quite the same without some form of Gundam universe RPG for us all to enjoy. Nice to see you planning ahead of time ;)

16. Dark-Enigma

Feb 8, 2006
    I've had a Justice League RPG waiting for about 2 weeks now for the new forum to open. Getting a little anxious. *twiddles thumbs*

17. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    An update in Comms said that the non-SW forum was planned to open sometime later this week. :)

Not long now. ;)

18. Dark-Enigma

Feb 8, 2006
  19. LightSide_Apprentice

May 22, 2001
    As you are no doubt aware, we are still in the stages of preparing for the new forum. I assure you that I am probably just as excited as each and every one of you, if not even more so, but I must ask that you continue to show the patience you have thus far. On that note, I can tell you that we are free to move onto the next topic for discussion as we await the official creation and opening of the non-Star Wars forum, which will not be too far away in coming.

It should be almost common knowledge by this time that we can expect to see not only a new forum for non-Star Wars role-playing, but, following that, a resource forum, too. The purpose of the resource forum will be diverse, so while I will offer vague references to what we may be able to expect, I would like to remind you that I am keeping the present scope of discussion small, since an in-depth visit into this topic will likely be headed by NaboosPrincess in due course.

The resource forum may include, but would not be limited to having threads such as the community, training, and connections areas presently available within the known RPF. These threads will likely be moved into the new forum when it is created. In addition to these we may have other development programs, workshops or tutorials, which focus on generating skills and experience with role-playing. We might also have such things as community threads, discussion threads, and other programs to help welcome and invite members into the forum as a whole, and the individual components of which it is comprised, as well as ?connections? to various games and other areas of interest.

Which brings me to the topic and focus of this discussion. Before we even open the resource thread, or consider ways of developing and introducing these ideas, we should look to what we currently have, what the status is of our present efforts along these lines, and what, if any, areas for improvement exist.

I suppose a good example to use is the Adoptions Program thread and the Danger Room. I?d be curious to hear, from those who have visited or participated in its operation, the general thoughts that might be on your mind as they relate to this area of discussion and the progress of the thread.

My hope is that we will be able to share ideas and thoughts, as well as constructive criticism, which will help to create a solid foundation that we can build from when the Resource Forum is opened for us all to enjoy.

20. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    Well.... I'll kick off the discussion I suppose...

*Da da da duuuum, da da da da da daaaaa, daaa, duuuum, da da da da dum!*

[color=green][b][u]The I_H Report on the RPF's Resource Threads[/u][/b][/color]

[image=http://ge.swsimulation.com/intelligence/images/Analysis_small.jpg]

[b][u]Introduction[/u][/b]

On the Afternoon of 2/23/06, an investigation was done by the "I_H Group of RPing Quality Control". Below is their findings with regard to Resource Threads found within the Jedi Council's Role Playing Forum.

[b][u]RPF Adoptions:[/u][/b]

[i]Overview: [/i]In my opinion, the RPF Adoptions administrative page is doing well under Milney and Earwen's new management. Bear in mind, of course, this comes from an outsider... Milney himself has told me there are more things going on there than meets the eye. A steady influx of new users have been pouring in, as well as a heafty list of oldbies waiting to adopt. Updates could come out more (last on 2/1/06), but taking into account the level of activity on the thread, its frequency is none too grevious. The program seems to be in sound shape.

[i]Recommendations:[/i] What struck me as interesting when looking at adoptions is the amounts of free oldbies and newbies present compared to the amount of pairs. According to the 2/1/06 update, there are a mere 6 pairs whereas there are 15 free newbies and 16 free oldbies. This, of course, is not recent, but the moral of the story is still around though. We got all these people wanting to adopt and be adopted, yet these people aren't getting together.

[b][u]RPF Training Ground and Information Thread [/u][/b]

[i]Overview:[/i] One of the RPF's no doubt hidden gems, this thread no doubt has anything you ever want to know about being a successful RPer on these forums. The articles written by the top of the top players are insightful and very useful, albeit perhaps a bit protracted. Post activity has been tragically low in this forum (last post 12/6/05), though some leeway has to be given to its very nature, which is of course, more instructional than anything.

[i]Recommendations:[/i] This thread seems to have a very misleading title. It does not seem to have any aspect of a training ground in it. Rather, it serves to serve only part of its purpose, being a very good information thread. A new focus on activity should be added to it, including but not limited to new contributions and questions. NP stated in her first post this thread was meant to be communal and interactive, but both purposes have seemed to fall to the wayside. This thread could do with some PR to get folks to reading it, perhaps summaries of the long articles that are more than daunting to the new users. Something needs to change in this thread in my eyes. Either make it an encylopedia for gaming and nix the communal aspect or make it more interactive with a PR spike.

[b][u]RPF Community Centre v.2.1 (Newcomers PLEASE READ)[/u][/b]

[i]Overview:[/i] Another Resource Thread in the RPF that is most interesting, but probably should be over-hauled / refined. The Community Center is a great place for people to get started in the RPF. The links on the first page can take you anywhere you really want to go in the forum. Its a generally great "Port of Call" and is home to the hallowed RPF Awards Hall of Fame. Also plagued with a minimal degree of activity, this thread could also use a shot in the arm.

[i]Recommendations:[/i] The Community Center should also join the Information Thread / Training Ground as a potential overhaul target. What struck me the most about it is really its lack of purpose as a thread within itself. POT never really put what the center was supposed to stand for in his first post, and its general post history reflects this. There have been alot of edits by NP directing people to other places, and no real discussion that lives here. Is it supposed to be a social thread like Hoopers? Is it supposed to be an Informational Thread like the Information Thread? Is it supposed to be an idea place like the Discussion Th

21. Dark-Enigma

Feb 8, 2006
  22. Dubya_Scott

Dubya_Scott Jedi Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Interesting research there, Hammer. You made a lot of good points.

How do you have spare time to do all of this? Doesn't real life affect you at all? :p

23. Dark-Enigma

Feb 8, 2006
    Everybody knows I_H freezes time! :p

Tyi-Maet_Nefer has constructed a wonderful style sheet for my proposed non-SW RPF banner. Here they are:

Board

24. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    Recommendations: As a player in Scenario Two, I haven't really noticed anything that really needs changing, outside of perhaps the obvious "more-players/more-posts" recommendation. One point that did seem to cross my eyes is that, quite ironically, the amount of newer users in the Danger Room is relatively small! The game seems to be buoyed by a mix of Midbies largely hailing from the MI-5 Series, and the Matrix and Clans games. Efforts should be taken to cater to the Danger Rooms' target audience, namely newer users enrolled in the Adoptions program.

That's something I kinda agree with. Perhaps a recruitement drive of some sort is in order...

25. Rayson

Apr 10, 2002
    On the topic of recruitment for the Adoptions Games:
    I sent a message to Earwen_Lightrider (Current Manager of RPF Adoptions, for those who don't know). This message entailed this. She stated that with each person who signs up as a newbie, she sends a little blurb to them about the RPF, it said this:

Thank you for expressing interest in the RPF adoption program. I?m Natalie and I will be trying to help you find an adopter that will hopefully best suit you. Please let me know if you are still interested in being adopted. If so, I?d like you to answer the following questions:

What type of RP game are you interested in (SW, non-SW, mostly battles, individual, team, peace time, etc?)?
    Do you have previous experience with RPs?
    Do you know what OOC: and IC: mean?
    Do you know what a Tag: is and why it is used?
    Have you filled out a character sheet before?
    Would it bother you if your adopter was younger than you?

These questions will help give me a feel of what you are looking for. It doesn?t cover everything, but then, if it did, you probably wouldn?t want to fill it out. Anyway, get back to me and hopefully I can get you paired right away.

~Natalie"

I sent her a small PM just asking her to include a message in all of that refering to the Adoptions Program, leaving a link and recommending joining.

Now, of course, this is just a small part of recruitment, and I can expect someone to say that we should just create a forum for such a thing, and ultimately...no. :p
    A forum would waste unnecessary space, and most likely recieve the same fate as our Training Ground, innactivity. The most efficient method without having to alter anything, is really just PMing people. Of course, this also means we have to find someone to send these PMs. Not exactly an easy task. I think the only real way to do it is to continue to make our recommendations through that particular PM, even though this only reaches people who sign up for the adoptions program.

Well, there, I suppose I've done my part :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.