1. Oh hai Guest!

Welcome to the RPF!

RPR Archive The RPF Community Council

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by NaboosPrincess, Dec 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LightSide_Apprentice Manager Emeritus

star 4
    An interesting set of responses.

It seems to me that we're not facing the problem of a shortage of good ideas, but rather the implementation and management of those ideas. Each and every resource has great potential, and you can clearly see that most of them have room for improvement. This will probably be the focus for attention of the Resource Forum, once it is created.

At this point in time the only sensible solution that comes to mind is better management, or perhaps more accurately, for actual management to be set in place. Too often we have ideas that are implemented by not given due attention and maintenance. I would except these things to contribute to the [potential] success, or lack thereof, of any given resource thread, much like it would an actual RPG.
  2. milney Force Ghost

star 5
    In regards to RPF Adoptions, there is alot more that goes on behind the scenes.

I am so thankful to Natalie for managing the program essentially by herself for the last month.

I am pleased to announce that there will be a few additions to the program that have tentative approval from NP, that I've been working on for a few months now, but due to circumstances, have been prevented from actually implimenting them, so look out for an announcement in teh Adoptions thread very soon :)
  3. Sith-I-5 Force Ghost

star 5
    Well done to Imperial_Hammer over that report!

I wanted to say something about the RPF Training Ground and Information Thread, and it took me a few moments to get it into words, especially in response to the lack of activity on there.

I for one, didn?t know you were supposed to post on there. Basically, in the Fan Fiction forum, notice has been taken off how difficult it is to read a lot of unbroken onscreen text, and on out Training Ground, the incredibly useful information is of such lengths that it just lends itself to printing the bits that appeal to you.

So, if other newbies copied my experience, they still found the place well useful, got hardcopies of the data they needed, but to those of you/us who monitor things like post activity, the place looks as dead as the proverbial doornail.

Danger Room
    Going well, but I don?t know how you are going to get newbies in there. And I?ve only found one new person that I felt needed to be guided in the proper posting format, and interacted with.
    Maybe if new RP-ers somehow announced their presence?
    We see character sheets, but as long as they follow the format, we don?t know if they are new and requiring help, or not.

That Bar and Grille / Communications, etc.
    There are such a diverse range of RPG thread titles that more effort should be made in highlighting what a non-RPG thread is about.

For instance, The RPF Community Council: currently discussing new forums!, does what it says on the tin, and highlights to me that it is somewhere to discuss new forums.

When deciding on what to call the Danger Room, there was a lot of effort put into giving it a name that explained the RPF Adoptions connection, and I feel that is something that could be applied to other places, because given the host of other exotic titles on the forum, things like the Bar and Grille don?t really stand out as anything other than another roleplaying venue.

I like the idea of having our own Communications area, perhaps called that, instead of some flash name that obscures its meaning from someone not in on the joke.

Didn?t mean to ramble.
  4. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Force Ghost

star 6
    Nice work there I_H. =D= Here's a few replies...

RPF Training Ground and Information Thread,
    I have to say that I'm the same as Sithy on this one Hammer. I didn't know you were supposed to post in there unless you had some helpful learning material to add?like what is currently contained in it. You say, Hammer that:

NP stated in her first post this thread was meant to be communal and interactive...

However, the impression that I first got when I read the line of text in her first post is of a different nature. Perhaps because I'm coming from a different perspective. The text is:

This thread is intended as a community information resource, so read it, contribute to it, and most of all use it!

I read it. I haven't contributed to it, as when I first read it I was quite young in this forum and didn't have anything to add, so I did not think it applied to me (I thought that part was more there for the 'oldbies'). And I used it. I used the information and helpful material inside to make myself a better role-player.

I never thought of it is an interactive thread?that just didn't cross my mind. I thought its purpose was solely for the teaching and informative material.

So the question is, do we want it to become an active thread which people ask questions and are taught further things through that? Or as a simple informative thread?

If it did become an active one, we would have to make sure that all of those helpful guides are not lost among the pages, remember. ;)

I like your idea regarding the RPF Community Centre v.2.1 (Newcomers PLEASE READ), I_H. It does almost direct people to the various places among the RPF already, so I see what you mean by suggesting it as a "Port of call".

I would just like to now ask Sith what you mean by a communications area? Would it be a thread which you can ask questions about anything and everything to do with the forum as a whole and all the parts in it? Kind of like the Communications forum the entire JC has, but simply for the RPF and its brother and sister forum?

As a suggestion, it would almost seem to me that one of the above two mentioned threads could incorporate this into them.

As far as the RPF Rules go, I have already stated my opinion and I know LSA is already working on things regarding the non-SW RPF Rules and reconfiguring the current ones. I assume that it will affect the current RPF Rules thread.

The RPG Discussion Thread and RPG Introduction Service is not something that I have used a lot, although I do see potential in them as Hammer stated, especially the Discussion Thread. Hammer has in the past already talked about wanting to have a GM Thread in the resource forum, which is almost an expansion of the Discussion Thread in itself?although I know, of course, that you would have much grander plans for the GM Thread, I_H. ;)

I basically agree with Hammer's statements about improvement and what we could do with the both of them.

Hooper McFinney's RPF Bar & Grille 4.0! Now with a new "Bat-Signal" installed on our roof.
    As I have mentioned in the past, I think that it would be a cool idea if the social thread of the RPF moved between the three eventual forums every so often. Hammer suggested having it in the Resource Forum, which I think would be great, but I also think that having it in all three in a sense by moving it between them would make it involve all the various people that may become scattered throughout the multiple Role-Playing forums.

As far as what Sith said, I do not think that it is an issue. The first line of Hooper's says:

Welcome to Hooper McFinney's RPF Bar & Grille, the successor to the RPF's social thread.

Social thread. Straight up. And it would be pretty obvious that it wasn't an RPG after seeing any of the posts. Also, as far as standing out goes, the amount of pages it has does that already. Anyone new would spot it and I w
  5. Sith-I-5 Force Ghost

star 5
    hey, Tyi'.

Bar and Grille
    In member profiles, we have this nifty thing where we can look at their latest posts. Well useful.
    Some days ago, I followed one for of my 007 mates, and found myself inside the Grille in which case, Tyi's assertion that the purpose of the thread would be obvious does kick in, because you are among the posts.

But from the RPF front page, which is where my eye roves down the list of titles, nothing suggests that this Bat Signal place is the social thread. I'm not making a big deal about it, so forget it.

Communications
    There is something on the Administration forum that you can report errors on... okay, I got the wrong end of the stick on this one, so let me change focus.

Yesterday, there was some wierd stuff going on with missing pictures, banners, corrupted stylesheets, and who knows what else, and I was a bit lost until I recalled something in the Administration/Communications area that exists to log errors.

Two weeks ago, I didn't even know the place existed, and it may have been Tyi that directed me there, but basically I think it would be nice to have something like that in the RPF so that if we get problems like that, we can find out if it a problem local to the individual user or other people are getting it too.

*shrugs*
  6. NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus

star 6
  7. Kalio_Dynkos Force Ghost

star 4
    Great scroll! It caught my eye immediatly. I am also very impressed that the whole new tab is already up with both forums under it! Fantastic! Bravo.
  8. LightWarden Force Ghost

star 4
    That new banner is a technicolor explosion of goodness. Very catchy. My only gripe is the long name, but that's about it, as nothing can/will be done about it.
  9. Dubya_Scott Force Ghost

star 5
    I just got back from the new forum. :D
  10. Dark-Enigma Jedi Knight

star 3
  11. darth_nemisis Force Ghost

star 6
    Very nice! I am glad to see it open! :) I quite like the banner...Very nice!

Imp, as I told you over IM, very nice! A very good idea, and a very helpful, suggestive post. :)
  12. Kartanym Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Something struck me that I'm not sure whether it has been mentioned before. As most of you will know, our fan-fiction forums are going strong elsewhere on the boards. There are many of you here who post short stories and the like there already, but I'm wondering whether it would be valuable to create some sort of co-development between what we do here (in terms of writing in an on-going gaming environment) and those there (writing on-going stories). Since the key factor in both is 'writing', it makes sense to me to perhaps advertise the fact that we exist to the many new fan fiction writers of those forums.

It's how I came to be here. I wrote a short story or two then discovered the role playing forum which, in my eyes, is a good way to develop the ingredients for writing skills in a more interactive way.
  13. Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs

star 5
    :eek:

An alliance with Fanfiction!

Blasphemy!

:p

In my opinion, there are alot of boards we can establish cross promotion with...

The trick is doin' it. ;)

But..... keeping on topic...

Its good that we are talking about the forums. Even if people investigate them for this conversation, its still an awareness issue.

And that seems to be what we all really need. :)

-I_H
  14. Kartanym Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Well in keeping with that, Communications has that site promotion thread. Anyone here that is keen on doing making banner ads for the RPF?
  15. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Force Ghost

star 6
    Keen... or able? :p

And I have to say that the side scroll is quite nifty; it is what first alerted me. :) Nice work.

May I offer a suggestion that a link to the Non-SW RPF should be placed at the top of the page as well? :) It would make it easier for those that don't roam around the other areas of these boards too much, plus it adds more connection between the two RP forums. :D

I understand you may simply not have gotten to this yet, NP and LSA; in that case, I'm just reminding you. ;)/>
  16. Master_Valar Jedi Knight

star 3
    The banner on the new forum is awesome! I saw Indiana Jones and I was sold.

I don't have a lot to add at the moment, since I'm going back to sleep, but this is becoming so organized I don't even know where to go anymore. [face_hypnotized]
  17. Dark-Enigma Jedi Knight

star 3
    I concur with Tyi about the link at the top directed toward the Non-SW RPF. Perhaps like the link to Fan Sites in the Fan Art thread?
  18. Dubya_Scott Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, how can you not have Indiana Jones. :p
  19. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    There isn't very much participation on the new forum, yet.

It's a little disheartening...
  20. NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus

star 6
    This forum doesn't really move very fast, either. ;)
  21. Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs

star 5
    NP speaks the truth...

How many New RPGs were launched in this RPF today?

Not much if any I can assure you.

Have to keep that in special account, that its mostly in-thread growth that matters, not in-forum.

It just seems very small because its so new...

Personally, I'm satisfied with the growth so far. 5 or 6 Strong RPGs starting up, and hopefully more to come. A great many players seemed to have made the cross-over and are settling in here and there.

Tech issues seem all ironed out...

A good start all and all IMO

-I_H
  22. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    Oh, I know. I just thought that with all the new excitement over the forum, it'd be swamped with new players, RPGs, and all manner of other things.
  23. Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    It's natural for people to be hesitant about the responsibility of being "one of the first". ;)

Once RPG transfers are complete and some of the more accomplished non-SW RPGers get ideas into swing, we should see a greater flow of players to the new forum.

Nice banner btw, didn't get a chance to send kudos earlier on in the piece. :)
  24. Dubya_Scott Force Ghost

star 5
    Easy for you to say, Hammer. You had almost two pages worth of Character Sheets in one day. :p

Well, I suppose it's time to get to work on my new non-SW RPG. I've had a few different ideas for new RP's, and I think I've chosen the best one..... ;)
  25. Livi-Wan Force Ghost

star 4
    Suspense!

Just dropping in to tell you guys a) I haven't fallen off the face of the earth and b) The new forum looks utterly awesome! Having never really ventured properly into non-SW roleplaying before, I'll be sure to give this a go.

My only gripe is that it's not linked in the drop-down menu, but I'm sure it's just a glitch that'll be ironed out.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.