main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPR Archive The RPF Community Council

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by NaboosPrincess, Dec 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LightSide_Apprentice

LightSide_Apprentice Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 22, 2001

2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Oh, whoops. [face_blush]

I did read that far back, LSA, but by time I got through your rebuttal, I had forgotten LW had said it.

3. dontlookatmethatway

dontlookatmethatway Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2005
    I don't really like the rule limiting games per genre and games per franchise. It limits the flexibility of the NSWRPF and is unnecessary. I believe in this instance that we should trust the Invisible Hand (phrase borrowed from I_H) For instance, let's say that there is a sudden rash of Matrix games in the NSWRPF, more than the rules would allow. If people don't really want to RP in Matrix games, nobody will join and the threads will be locked. But if the denizens of the NSWRPF have a burning urge to play a Matrix game, they will be successful. The Invisible Hand will take care of this on its own, without help from the mods. This rule only hinders the ability to provide what the users want, which is a bad thing.

4. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    Agreed, though the phrase "invisible hand" is attributed to economist Adam Smith way back in the late 1700s, to describe how the market tends to follow courses that are best for it, as people in their own self-interest will seek the most effective means, thus promoting a "laissez-faire" philosophy, which is a point of interest among economists, given the many variables of the market.

(Knowledge is power!)

5. LightSide_Apprentice

May 22, 2001
    I'm only too familiar with the concept you're referring to, and I know exactly where you're coming from. What you're describing is definitely a free market, and from that point of view there is little place for rules of any kind, since rules simply seek to restrict freedom.

Unfortunately, given that the world, and indeed these forums, are based on fostering a community that is open and prosperous for all parties concerned, there is a need for rules. They are like laws. They are created as something to fall back on when issues arise, they act as a guide for those that might need some direction.

I have had less than a handful of people come to me asking me to approve a game of a theme that already exists. It has led me to believe that there is no need for the rule's revision until such time that that changes.

As I've mentioned, there is room for flexibility in the rule. It's just that I'd rather not see a bunch of locked threads when we'd be better off having a few that are actually successful.

6. Dubya_Scott

Dubya_Scott Jedi Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002

Not complaining about it, I'm just curious... I started my Star Wars...007 style RP's, and then others popped up using my same "title": Star Wars...Wild West style, ...Matrix style, and whatever else. I know immitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but is that considered "copying another person's game"? :confused:

7. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    It's only copying someone else's game if the story or rules are directly stolen and/or extremely similar (probably stolen and slightly modified.) We're probably not going to bust people for a title.

8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I have no problem with the "per franchise limit" on games, provided it can be passed by with Mod Approval. That is, if there are already two games from a single franchise, and someone wants to start a third one and at least one of the two is happening:

1) The new game is vastly different than either of the existing games

2) The existing games are both thriving and well into play.

then the mods can override the two-per rule and grant permission to start the new game

That make sense to anyone else?

9. alpha_red_83

alpha_red_83 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 2, 2005
    Someone's being a bit picky....[face_shame_on_you] Don't think because you're the best GM/RPer doesn't mean you can start to brag. [face_beatup]

10. Dubya_Scott

Dubya_Scott Jedi Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002

I wasn't bragging... [face_whistling] :p

11. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    Okay... so we've gone over stuff like sexuality and language in the RPGs... but what about violence? There's a great deal of these things that involve people doing unpleasant things to other people, so what's the policy on this? I'm not sure if there's a difference between violence ratings in films and violence in text. I realize that you probably shouldn't go gore hounding and pull out the anatomy text book to describe what happens to what with great detail, but I'm not sure about the others. Should I go back to the Fanfic FAQ?

Text is weird. You can directly see things happen without actually "seeing" them. Though I guess they do that in movies and shows too, showing scenes of questionable status from distances or without directly looking at them/ focusing on them...

12. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    From the standpoint of a foreign observer looking at a site which is primarily US-based, I wouldn't worry about it, Lightwarden.

From pictures I've seen of the way the US multimedia is run, while access to and broadcast off, sex and bad-language is controlled, there doesn't seem to be the same sort of controls on violence, except maybe on Network television.

I've seen news pictures of pre-adolescents being allowed unaccompanied into your cinemas (movie theaters) to see blood and guts war films like Full Metal Jacket or Platoon, that over here in the UK, we wouldn't think of letting them near.

While in Star Wars terms, the Original Trilogy up to the Yevetha conflict, thing were kept pretty clean, the descriptions given to thow the Vong mutilated themselves, has broadened the field as far as damage descriptions go.0

*shrugs*

Have you seen any descriptions that worried you, LW?

13. LightSide_Apprentice

May 22, 2001
    If you've seen it published in the Expanded Universe, chances are it'll be acepted here. Violence should be kept to a minimum only in as far as it is excessively graphic. You can post extremely violent scenes or scenarios without them ever being graphic. At the end of the day it falls to technique and description. I think most people have a pretty good idea on what is or is not acceptable.

14. alpha_red_83

Aug 2, 2005
    How is my F.E.A.R thread doing, LightSide_Apprentice? I know it's based on a very violent and graphic game, but I hope it's still above the belt.

15. Detonating-Rabbit

Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2003
    Some of the more recent EU examples have been particularly graphic (or maybe it's just me). I'm thinking of Vector Prime, Shatterpoint, and Labyrinth of Evil. It could just be that people are becoming desensitised, so maybe it's more acceptable in the novels...

But if we're planning on keeping the forums PG rated, then maybe there should be restrictions. But it does, I feel, depend largely upon the ability of a writer to convey the bloodshed. And it can be done effectively and visually in a non-violent, non-gut-spilling fashion. :)

16. NaboosPrincess

May 14, 2001
    Rules like this are up to the moderators' discrection. If anyone has trouble understanding what is and is not allowed, FanFic has a wonderful little thread (with examples) here.

17. alpha_red_83

Aug 2, 2005
    Much obliged, NP. :)

18. LightSide_Apprentice

May 22, 2001
    alpha_red_83, if you really want to know, I think the game is a big success and I believe it's success is due to a select few who have formed a close-knit team. I have no doubt in my mind that those people who are holding the game together are enjoying it. Though I can't honestly say it appeals to my personal tastes in some of the description and dialogue used. I am actually disappointed to see a lot of it, but it's not my place to pass judgement, only to maintain some sense of peace and order so that we might prosper as a community.

19. alpha_red_83

Aug 2, 2005
    I bet you've seen much more worse and graphical games than F.E.A.R., LightSide_Apprentice. Besides, my goal is to nail: Drama, Action, Suspense, and Horror. I make my posts well known and understandable. I try to put well detail and quantity in it, but if the violence and profanity is too much: Like the Cannibalism and gore and such, then I would tone it down. But still it would only add more realism and mystery into the RP.

20. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    Why not put ratings on RP's? As in G, PG, PG-13 (I don't think R would be accepted). I've seen it done on other sites.

21. alpha_red_83

Aug 2, 2005
    I dunno, maybe my RP would be in the "Restricted" range....[face_worried]

22. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    You can't put ratings on RPs. It just wouldn't work.

23. alpha_red_83

Aug 2, 2005
    Depends....

24. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Depends on what? Judging text using movie-style ratings is absurdly subjective. Two players can read the same paragraph and see it in totally different ways.

25. NaboosPrincess

May 14, 2001
    Besides, which, we can't use the PG/PG-13/R ratings system because that is copyrighted by the MPAA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.