main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPR Archive The RPF Community Council

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by NaboosPrincess, Dec 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    The only problem with naming it The Danger Room is that people (like NP), might not know what it is. Sure, the name won't hurt what's inside, but it might not be the most effective in brining in the people who need to be brought in.

Ok, so some people wanted to see a little more fleshing out of my idea of a workshop RPG, here ya go:

I envision one thread for the adoption program RPG with a very basic storyline allowing for just about any type of character to be created and played. I envision about every two weeks (flexible, depending on how it is going) changing the focus of the thread to a different part of RPing. This would be reflected in the current title. For example, you might see this:

RPF Adoption Game: Now Emphasizing Character Sheet Writing

Then two weeks later, you might see this:

RPF Adoption Game: Now Emphasizing Character Development/Dialouge

Another two weeks pass, and you might see this:

RPF Adoption Game: Now Emphasizing Hand-to-Hand Combat

and so on and so forth, with many other areas that we all need help with.

Then, the mentors of each adoptee are encouraged to break-down their adoptees posts, and post suggestions for improvements, things done well, etc ... either in the thread or in PM. Council Members would also be encouraged to stop by this thread and offer input and advice to adoptees. Then, the adoptee could either repost what was already up, or try again in their next post to take into mind the suggestions given them.

However, I see a GMing workshop as being totally different. We've already hijacked one thread into being similar to that, and perhaps we could just continue to take over that thread and officially make it the GM headquarters. Where you can go to discuss ideas (is this good? has anyone done this? is this original?), mechanics, plot twists, etc ...

2. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    Hmmm...

I'm going to put my weight behind option two....

2. Multiple RPG threads for the different kinds of role-playing.

With the caveat that Multiple means 4 or less....

This shifting scenarios game worries me, and I'll need to see a first post before I give it a thumbs up from my position. That style of game has never been done before, and I worry it will be very unstable. I placed questions forth in my last post about such a game that should and still need to be ironed out before we go forward with such a tricky affair. If we are going for a place to teach newer users, shouldn't it be in a place like what they will find in the RPF? Not to mention that the shifting and confusion associated with it will most likely lead to a degrading of RPGing skills. I mean lets face it, isn't it easier to RP in a stable environ?

I think it should go like this... which I shall call the "Hammer Plan" for easy reference :p O:) [face_whistling]

Games

1.) Stable RPF RPG without shifting: This can be the more docile, stable RPG that can serve as the waypoint between training and the RPF proper. Can be just a simple Star Wars game, but should have something in it to make it creative. We simply have too many Jedi v. Sith games on our fine forums. Point is, this would be a tradition RPG, like the ones we have out there today.

2.) Shifting RPG: Think of this as the sims before the stable RPG. Here can be a more rigorous, skill oriented (versus story-oriented) setting, much like the purpose of the actual fictional danger room. More focus on training, and less on actual storyline / Roleplaying. Like people have been saying Force Use, Racing, Firefights, Fleet Tactics, all the skills can be explored here.

Threads

3.) GM's Workshop: Basically a place for people to learn the skill of GMing and Game Building. To answer Tyi's question, it will be very much like the Community forum / Intro Service, but with a few key changes. People can still come around and toss game ideas out, and the people there very much so would be encourages to help out. But I would also think we can make it more interactive, say (and these are where the changes come in) by disecting and studying existing first posts..... or by issuing challenges (ie: Make a Romance RPG) and seeing who comes up with the best. In addition, if we run out of fun stuff to do there, the GM's workshop could also focus on "In Game" GMing, as in, how to solve problems, keep games interesting, mediate disputes, etc. I think this would be a great idea, and regardless of if the rest of my plan is nominated, I think this idea should come about.

4.) Player Workshop: I would think this thread could focus on Character Creation issues, like making unique and interesting sheets, as well as exploring the art of getting in character. One of the interesting tricks of being a good RPer that people usually fail to pay attention to is to actually get "in character." Can you really think how an Aqualish would? Or experience, through your writing, life as a different gender? This would be the thread that is probably the least important in my eyes, as it could be incorporated into the shifting RPG, but if the shifting rpg is really a Role Playing Game, I would think it would be rather hard to take time to focus on good character creation and the like. That would be the domain of the player workshop.

In conclusion, I think a plan like the one outlined here would be a better fit for the RPF. A Storyline and Character Development RPG / A Skills Development RPG / A Place for GMs / and a place for Players. All the bases would be covered and, with the adoption main, it would be a nice clean 5 part program.

Fell free to discuss and critique.... very interested to hear what you all have to say about my little idea.... ;)

-I_H

3. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    I really don't see why we need any more than one thread for the Adoptions game. We are trying to integrate the newcomers into the forum, so it should just be a place to help them get a basic handle on how we roleplay. Once they have that basic knowledge, they should be encouraged to venture out and play the normal RPGs amongst the rest of the community.

Besides which, we already have the Training Grounds/Informational Thread for information on character creation and RPing, and the RPG Discussion thread for GM stuff.

4. Rayson

Rayson Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    I would like to ask the council to consider making only those who have been registered with TFN for a year or more be able to take an adoptee in the RPF. That way we guarantee that even the newer players would get the extra experience that you can't learn from an adopter, before passing on nothing but lessons from someone else.

5. Dubya_Scott

Dubya_Scott Jedi Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Sorry for not posting. I had family over that I haven't seen in 15 years. I just wanted to respond to a couple things before the topic changed...

If we can make it happen, I say we should make a rule that everyone, regardless of what month or year they joined or how many posts they made, can be able to join whichever game they would like.

I know that might bring a lot of unwanted players into a game who are new and inexperienced players but then the GM would be able to nicely and I mean nicely, show them to the adpotions program or help them out themselves, if they are willing.

I, personally, don't think that's such a bad idea. As I've said in the opening post in all of my RP's in the `007 style` series, it's open to anyone. I don't even require a sheet PM'd to me. I like to have my games open to everyone, oldies and newbies alike. And, over the course of that series, I've seen many players improve: bojangles, DVC, Uber-Ed and even myself...just to name a few. We currently have a newbie participating in the game and I, along with some of the other players, have been trying to help him along little by little. (We're still in the process of helping him, so we'll see how it goes.) I don't want to ban anyone from my games. I may have to direct him to the adoptions thread. But, I think having RP's open to anyone would definately help the newbies. Like I said, I've seen some of my regular players improve.

Rather than a ranking system, I'd like to see a "Hall of Fame" system. When a game reaches a certain number of posts (say 35 pages), I think it should be archived in a "Hall of Fame" thread, with a link to it, that newbies and oldbies alike can click on and read some of the great ideas of old. I think that GMs should nominate posts in their games that they believe to be exceptional to be enshrined in the "Hall of Fame" thread. Perhaps a sub-committee of this one (the old-guys only, maybe?) to determine which posts can archived forever in the "Hall of Fame"?

Also, a record of all the RPF awards in one thread would be great, and would fit in with this "Hall of Fame" thread idea, too.

I agree with this idea also. Although, I think the requirement for a hall of fame entry should be something like 1000 posts...or something like that. (I don't think `pages` would work, because people have their options set up differently.) A thread for people to read outstanding posts and/or game thread would be great. It could give newbies something to work toward...if they in fact want to be a top-notch RPer.

And, forgive me if it's already been mentioned (I missed the last day or two), but the "Danger Room" refers to the X-Men training area. ...Marvel comics stuff. :)

6. milney

milney Jedi Master star 5

Aug 21, 2003
    Rayson, here's a quote from the opening post of the adoptions thread:

Potential adopters must be registered users for at least five months and have a minimum post count of 500 posts. Oldbies may only adopt one newbie at a time; exceptions will only be granted with just cause.

There were a few un-written rules that I have mentioned before and they were:
    - Pairings that were in-active for two months were dropped from the program (unless the coordinator was contacted.
    - Potential Adopters must be experienced in the way the RPF works
    - 'Newbie' refers to someone who has never posted in the RPF and has no experience Role-Playing
    - 'Oldbie' refers to someone who is experienced in role-playing, but not necesarily in the RPF

7. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    Ooops.... yeah, getting ahead of myself I suppose... [face_blush]

One reform at a time....

*Writes it down for later* ;)

Alright, one game, but are you sure we want it to be that shifting game? What about character development?, I decry confused. Danger Room seems so action oriented, and like I said, are we really teaching them skills for the forum? There is no other game like that around, so would it not be wiser to intro users to a game like the ones people play normally? I just want to make sure this game is the best fit for what we want it to do. Nothing worse, especially with new users, than to introduce them to a game that doesn't work.

Someone, anyone, soothe my fears. Tell me why Danger Room is so good, and why it would be a better fit than a traditional, continuous RPG.....

-I_H

8. NaboosPrincess

May 14, 2001
    What I like is the idea of multiple scenarios lasting about two weeks each, so people can easily jump in and out.

That's not to say that this can't be accomplished with a traditional RPG format...I just think it's interesting and worth a try.

9. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Hammer,

What I'm proposing is a traditional RPG. It's just that the emphasis is one refining a certain skill, rather than on progressing a hard storyline. Of course, I would want a storyline in the game, just not a hard one where the object is to advance the storyline.

I think this would work better than going to a new player and saying "hi, I want you to improve your skills, so here are four threads you should join to help with that. Any questions, PM me. I'll be watching! :)" (I realize I am trivializing what you are saying, but I'm doing so for emphasis! :p)

I think that if a couple of council members sit down and hammer out a small storyline for the adoptions game, it could get of the ground quickly. Of course, when hammering it out, they should also be looking at short-term goals for skills to refine. I'm willing to volunteer to work on this.

10. LightSide_Apprentice

LightSide_Apprentice Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 22, 2001
    Just a few things for the council members to consider, if they haven't already:

I'm curious as to who will be developing the actual scenarios. Will the theme for the peroid, two weeks as it seems, be chosen by members of the council who will then offer direction for adoptors and adoptees from where to proceed? If so, does this not assume and thus limit everyone involved in such a thread to that one aspect of role playing at a time?

My point is simply that different players may want or need to develop their skills in a number of different areas. Would it not make more sense to have the adoptors and adoptees work on developing their own scenarios to focus on? They could conduct their training in groups, or as pairs, regardless. I just see specific scenarios being declared for them to participate in as ... dangerous.

As you probably know, some scenarios take more time than others and some pairs or even individuals might want to work on greater development or refinement of their skills. I seriously doubt a whole lot can be achived in only two weeks unless those people involved are incredibly active and posting more often than not.

The initial "Danger Room" idea seems to have been founded upon the concept of changing scenarios or simulations and adaptability. It is simply an extension of what you might already find in a developed RPG, minus the longer term need for commitment and continuity. Present discussion, however, seems to be heading in the direction of "Classes" and "Lessons" on certain aspects of role playing, using the scenarios as a tool to promote successful learning.

These comments are probably not terribly helpful, but they're here to stay. Maybe you'll find some value in them.

11. Detonating-Rabbit

Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2003
    For reference, even though it is now irrelevant, I was referring to posts in this thread, only. You will note that later in my post, I did happen to write this:

And there is a big difference between writing level, and competence. The former has much to do with age and education, but the latter is more so to do with laziness and adaptability. Personally, I don't appreciate writers who cannot - for some reason - run their posts through a simple spell checker.

It irritates me equally as much if players repetitively come up with horrible mistakes. I have to sometimes ask myself where the effort is. But, other things do need to be taken into account with that, too...

12. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Hey everyone, I think I'm probably the last member to post their intro. Sorry about that. Finals really bit me hard in time I needed to study for them, and then I've been running family members around shopping for X-Mas presents since, which has really been making me tired. Tomorrow, though, I'm going to devote my full day to catching up on all my duties here in the RPF.

I thank those who nominated me for giving me a chance to work with this great group of people, and I look forward to reading through the discussion thoroughly and chiming in with my own two cents tomorrow. See ya!

-~This is no Zaku, Boy. No Zaku!~-

13. Rayson

Rayson Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Yes, but even so I would like to see it come down to a year minimum, I've been here for almost four years and I still learn a lot, and that first whole year is really where it counts. To be honest I really don't think that 5 months is long enough, and there is really no way to tell if those 500 posts we're something to rival PoT in roleplaying, or something that stoops lower than LV bantering about something totally and utterly trivial, much as I enjoy that.

14. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
  15. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    Danger Room Concept - Please correct me if I am wrong, but this is how I've seen this concept pieced together in my own mind.

It seems the storyline would be something along the lines of a training facility (pictures the accelerated training given to the clones) where various people come in and out. The training is at a more personal level. Interaction with an adopter and maybe a few others willing to keep the thread running. I see it as a base set-up with multiple simulation rooms. This way each adoptee can focus in on what they want to improve on. Their adopter would be his/her main instructor but could also enlist the help of others in training on topics that the adoptee needs help in. Since it is a simulation room you are able to run anything your adoptee needs (think Matrix programming). This way the RP has continuity in that all players are there for training, yet no one is required to stay at the training facility constantly. This allows for adopters and adoptees to come and go as they please without ruining the overarching story line. The simulation rooms are equipped to fit any scenario, which allows for practice at responding to various created situations and also can even allow for practice GMing for the person running the scenario. With this set-up, several different scenarios can be run at once, tailoring to the needs of the individual. Group scenarios can be arranged at the whim of various players involved. Vetran RPs can even drop in on occassion to show off their skills or learn new ones.

The only stuggle with this kind of set-up is locations within the facility, but if a map is drawn up of the facility and simulation rooms are well labeled, then that can be kept clear with a simple location given at the beginning of the post.

Ex. Location: Simulation Room Hoth

Another option that can be listed at the beginning of a post is whether or not in character interaction is welcomed from others who may want to join in. For example, simulation room status can be:
    locked with communications off - meaning that the simulation can be viewed by others but their comments or actions will not be seen or heard by those in the sim.
    locked with communications on - comments made by viewers can be heard but actions have no effect.
    unlocked - anyone is allowed to join in on the simulation

Just throwing this out there, as it is my understanding of the concept.

Also, on naming it the "Danger Room" I am hesitant, as that might be an intimidating name for those new to the forum.

16. dragonsith13

dragonsith13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 3, 2005
    Hello all, I will introduce myself as dragonsith, a relativley new RPier here. Correct me if I am wrong I am trying to catch up on all the post, but what your suggesting above regarding the shifting scenerios based around training and such. Almost sounds like it could be adapted to a Star Wars Battlefront situation also... where you will have a scenerio/location/objectives ect... and people can just jump in... let me know if I am understanding this correctly or not?

17. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Earwen_Lightrider, I don't think there would be any need for IC stuff outside the simulations themselves. By that, I mean that I don't think there's any need for an in-game facility.

There could just be multiple scenarios running at once, and the GM creates an appropriate one for you and a few others to jump in to, depending on what your interest is. Kind of like they did in the Prelude to IBOP training thing that I played in, way back when. LSA basically ran the thing like a normal IBOP game, except with the purpose of introducing new players to the system that was being used, so the scenarios were a little more basic than normal (mine was a Jedi-Sith duel in the desert).

18. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Perhaps we should bring LightSide_Apprentice back into the discussion? It was his exceptional Integrated Balance of Power that got me into online RPing, as well as were I had my first experience as a GM and faction leader. The IBoP model is one of the best to follow in constructing any training scenarios, IMO.

--Adm. Nick

19. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    Based on everything I have read and heard here so far, I am going to begin construction on a possible first post prototype for the new Adoptions RPG, to be submitted to the council for ideas, comments, approval, tinkering and the like...

From what I invision so far, it'll be multi-scenarioed in one setting, as that seems to be what everyone is going for. I have an interesting GM-User interface in my mind that might do the trick for what we are wanting here. Look for it in the next couple of days, or maybe today if I run into a nice patch of free time...

We'll see what happens, but the wheels have started spinning for this user on the process. I really think it important to get some first posts out and about so that we can really start cracking on the logistics of the venture. So there you are.... ;)

-I_H

20. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    Can we do something about revising the forum rules? It's been two years since they've been posted, and they really don't do a lot in terms of explaining everything that is and isn't permitted, especially within the context of character actions/language, etc. Are homosexuals still banned? If so, you might want to do something about that holiday banner hanging up there.

On a completely unrelated note, is there a way to standardize things in the Star Wars Universe, especially credits? It's pretty funny to see people in the same thread who have vastly different ideas as to how much the credit in the Star Wars Universe is worth, when you see posts where some people think 300 credits is a heck of a lot of money, while others barely blink at 15,000 credits. I think it's close to a $1:1 credit ratio, but it'd be nice if there were some standards. Also, metric, I think more Americans need to develop a sense for it, especially since it's used in the Star Wars Universe, but maybe that's just me. Other possible standardizations include time, mostly for hyperspace navigation. Some people seem to take all to get from Coruscant to Alderaan, others take merely an hour to get from Coruscant to Tatooine. I doubt this idea will take, but it's just something I've noticed, owing to my love for details and numbers.

21. Darth_Vaders_cousin

Darth_Vaders_cousin Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 12, 2004
    I always like to post with both Metric and Standard (American) Measurements, using an Online Conversion Calculator.

As for the value of a Cred, I thought It was closer to 1 cred = 1 GBP [Great Brittain Pound] (Roughly $0.56 USD), oweing to the fact that, everything used Metric in star wars because it was shot in England, I assumed money would be the same.

But, thats just me.

As to language, I've always gone with the FanFic rules.

NP edit: Edited 'cause it wasn't relevant to the discussion and they are already posted in FanFic.

22. LightSide_Apprentice

LightSide_Apprentice Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 22, 2001
    AdmiralNick22, the use of simulations and training scenarios throughout IBoP has been diverse and managed by the GM(s). LightSide_Apprentice found this method, particularly in the initial opening stages of the game, terribly useful. The primary value of such systems, managed by a single GM, was to ensure consistency, continuity, and standardisation. While scenarios were customised and adapted to challenge each of those involved, the developments were used by the GM to present promotions and ranks, IC, and at times OOC, based on performance. Unfortunately, having a single GM possesses major drawbacks, particularly for players who expect daily porgress and want to be kept constantly busy. Outside of that, what worked in IBoP may or may not be successful elsewhere.

Success, growth, and continued prosperity, not only in the RPF, but anywhere, relies on being able to change as one's surroundings change. GMs and players need to adapt to their environment. If there are more new players to the RPF, then they will need to be accomodated for, or they will leave. Likewise, a place must exist for those long-time members seeking a game to push even their limits. In short, I advise anyone considering making a new game, whether it's with an adoptions focus or not, to develop a system for that game's functioning and operations. Having no visible system is still a choice, even if it isn't a conscious one.

23. NaboosPrincess

May 14, 2001
    LightWarden, thank you for the comments, but we are not discussing those topics at this time. I would really like everyone to make an effort to keep us on-track in terms of discussion. That way we can complete things faster and move to new topics.

24. milney

milney Jedi Master star 5

Aug 21, 2003
    Can I please ask a general question to the RPF Council.

Can you please decide what you want done with the adoptions program.

I need to know whether I should be geting things ready for a handover to the council or not.

25. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    Milney: I guess, for me, it would focus more on the revamping of an RPF Adoptions Game, and maybe the main page? I'm more of a game designer by trade, so I personally don't worry too much about the Adoptions Main. I suppose activity would be a key concern? But I think that will come with the game... ;)

I'm sure the rest of the members will have more to say....

Nooooow, on to my main attraction, my RPF Adoptions Program RPG Prototype!

[b][color=blue][u]The United Role Players Building[/u][/color][/b]

Welcome, one and all to the United Role Players Building, an Extension of the RPF Adoptions Program. This thread is designed to be an extensive training ground for all players in the forum to develop and enhance any skill that one may need for better and higher quality Role Playing. Adopter-Adoptee Pairs are especially welcome here, though we welcome all users to come here and train.

Think of this game as a massive, multilevel sandbox RPG, run by a dedicated team of GMs and dedicated to the sole purpose of making you a better role player. So come in, come in, past the elegant courtyard and into our lobby. From here, you can come and go, explore at your own whims and delights. On behalf of the entire RPF Adoptions Program and RPF Council, we welcome you warmly here.

[u][b]Layout of the URPB Complex[/b][/u]

[u]1st Floor[/u]
    The First Floor is the Port of Call, so to speak, for all users entering the URPB. This floor is dedicated to the basics of the Role Playing Process. Come here first, to learn about the IC-TAG system, and how Role Playing is generally done here at the RPF. This is also the place to ask questions of the GM Secretariat, located in the Lobby.

[u]2nd Floor[/u]
    Force Users Temple: The Second Floor is all about the Usage of the Force for both good and ill. Learn the Philosophies about being a Jedi or a Sith, as well as the use of Force Principals such as push, pull, jump, sight, heal, lightning, and any others you can think of. Our Master Force-User GM can help you find your destiny and become the best Jedi/Sith you can be

[u]3rd Floor[/u]
    The Lightsaber Dueling Dojo: Be sure to visit our Dueling Dojo located on the third floor. Our Blades GM oversees and arranges all fights taking place here, pitting users against bots, other users of the same force persuasion, and users of the different force persuasion. As lightsaber battle is such an integral part of our Star Wars Universe, it is imperative to learn to duel fairly and well, staying in tune with your side of the force, and at the Dojo, it is our mission to help all users out there.

[u]4th Floor[/u]
    Non-Force User Training Ground: In a galaxy increasingly populated by Jedi and Sith, learn here the subtle art of playing a non-force user. Train in firearms and melee weapons use, learn to make a better character, and become skilled in the art of thievery, law enforcement, sniping, teras kasii, and much much more! Our Master Trainer GM will transform your character into something you can be proud of, and the galaxy can respect.

[u]5th Floor[/u]
    Dogfighting Simulator Complex: Join us on the fifth floor with our state-of-the-art fighter / freighter sims in exploring the complex and mechanical world of ship navigation and interstellar combat. Our expert Flightdeck GM will usher you into the stars and beyond! Fly Seinar?s TIE Fighter Models, Incom?s X-Wings, CEC?s proud freighter line, and a variety of other models in pushing the ships to the limit and outwitting your opponents.

[u]6th Floor[/u]
    Tactics War Room: Be sure not to miss the Tactics War Room, the Adoptions Program?s academy at the use of controlling vast numbers of capital vessels in strategic engagement scenarios. Assume the bridge of your very own Star Destroyer or MC80 and lead your forces to victory over simulated enemies or your fellow users. Our Tactics GM will hone your war skills, and transform you into a respected general.

[u]7th Floor and Beyond[/u]
    At and above the Seventh Floor are specific rooms catered to the specific needs of the co

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.