main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference The RPF Policies, Programs, and Events Thread - Now Disc.: New User Welcomes

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Imperial_Hammer , Aug 24, 2008.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I like the idea, although I'm not sure how feasibly it could play out considering how our community works. Might be worth trying, though. Worst that can happen is I have to lock a thread. Oh nooooooooo~.:p

2. Sir_Draco

Sir_Draco Jedi Master star 4

Aug 19, 2007
    The Wish List. My title suggestion. I´d say as a rule there shouldn´t be any GMs addressed directly, otherwise it will all be about "Gimme more Sots" or "ManCubs II, please!"

But a list of games people would like to see! Yeah! I would have a few wishes on my own! And I found it very helpful when the "Where is our ME game" discussion took place. I was toying with the Ashen idea back then and that discussion really gave me the confidence to post the game and it worked out fine!

3. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    But I want Man Cubs II. :(

:p

Can't hurt to have such a thread, I'd say.

4. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
  5. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Maybe I should just DO IT then? Oh c´mon guys, you know how shy I am! :p

6. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Actually, I'd prefer it if I could see a draft before it goes up. It's far from being the most complicated thing we've ever done, but I would like clearly outlined prohibitions against requesting specific series, specific GMs, and weasely maneuvering to try and circumvent those two prohibitions.

Oh, and some kind of amusing image. I like amusing images. :p

7. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    Hm, actually is it necessary to exclude franchises? I mean what do we risk? Someone shouts SotS III! ManCubs II! And then we´re done. People who wanna have those, will have direct access to the GMs anyway. But maybe asking for sequels of games long gone or forgotten franchises around here should be fair game. I really don´t see why we should forbid someone to ask for another System Lords or Jedi Outcasts, you know? I simply do not see the risk of "fans" overrunning the thing.

Adressing specific GMs should be forbidden though, it should be more for people seeing and then grabbing games who are unsure what to do.

Anyway, my draft is with you in a sec ramza.

8. Lukes_Apprentice

Lukes_Apprentice Jedi Master star 3

Oct 15, 2008
    I see no issue with bringing back old favorites or rebooting an old series maybe even tweaking it so that works better. However, I would also like to see other things happen like a discussion by players on why they would like to see it and how they would like to see changed for the better sort of a community input. Ideas are great but if their is no discussion afterword what is the point? Then we are going to do that we could maybe split things out more and make a serious discussion topic and a game intro topic and a wishes along with a reasons thread. 8-}

9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Discussion can happen in that thread. There is no magical discussion prevention barrier spell on it.

10. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    Certainly there could be discussions, I left any barriers of what can be discussed out of the first post by intend and Ramza was certainly aware of that when he aproved, so fire away any discussion you wanna see. I think also GMs can post that they consider stuff and all that . . . why not? Anyway, I see some of us had indeed a few wishes unheard of yet. :)

11. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    So, I thought it might be an idea to discuss this dreadful MOVE business. It is obvious we do not know when it will really happen and even if so, we got no guarantee it will really happen. But it is obviously hurting the boards. People wait for games to start or for the MOVE to bring up to make games and interest is slowly crumbling for games in general. I mean that is totally understandable. Whatever we start now would be on a break soon, anyway. But I think we also have very little to offer players right now.

Maybe we should think of changing that. Maybe we should start shorter games or open existing games for subplots so people have stuff to join and enjoy? I mean we cannot stay in the "mode" of eternal waiting. I already doubt everybody will return once the three weeks break is done, especially as we need to reset our passwords if I understood this right and some people already told me, they would give up accoutns and start new ones and such stuff. If they will all do that, . . . let´s be optimistic and say yes. But these people have been waiting to do so for month now (and some have by now began playing elsewhere, actually).

So what could we do? What chances do lie within this period of transition? Maybe we should consider doing prologues for our upcoming games? Short games? Something that fits our situation, perhaps? We will geta two weeks warning, right? So we have at least 14 days, but probably a lot more at our hands and we should consider not wasting it with waiting, as I feel that hurts our community here. So what could be done about it? Any ideas?

12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Actually now it seems passwords might transfer over, because, y'know, it's not like IGN already migrated and could let us know if they kept theirs. Wheels deserve reinventing. Keep those emails up to date just in case.

[image=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_DJlgifqzwOk/TTioUpk5zjI/AAAAAAAAAJ4/dxmJE6Cd8tY/s1600/give%2520up%2520cat.jpg]

I think temp games might be an ideal solution to this period of pointless stagnation, yes. Certainly beats waiting on our asses until kingdom come - which, at this rate, will probably arrive sooner than the move.

EDIT: Upon further reflection, that idea has some truly cool possibilities - imagine, if you will, a prequel game where everyone plays an assigned character, rather than the one they will actually play when the main game starts. Then the GM is free to tease the plot while brutally killing off and/or manhandling the PCs in a way that normally isn't feasible/popular. Could be a lot of fun, especially for a game with a strong backstory element.

13. spycoder9

spycoder9 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 23, 2008
    I plan on incorporating your second idea in my upcoming game. A prologue that I will use to show how our characters got to the place where they begin in-game. It might actually be pretty fun, it?d give everyone a feel for their characters, and not everyone would have to do it. Only those that think they have enough time and should. This MOVE has really messed up my starting point of my game, so the prologue idea might actually work for the time being. And if people wanted, the prologue thing could move over into the temporary boards. Though, Ramza?s idea is pretty cool too. Would actually be very fun to have play out. :)

14. Sir_Draco

Aug 19, 2007
    Something like that could actually work very well for my upcoming Vampire vs. Hunters game, I think. A prologue introducing the world and the setting with no "need" to have formed characters and/or survivals . . . perfect beginning for a horror game, is it?

15. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    And suddenly I have an idea . . . a send of game of the old boards!

16. Sir_Draco

Aug 19, 2007
    I´ll be there [face_laugh]

17. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    That is a rather fun idea! High stakes with life and death but only a short emotional investment in characters. Color me intrigued.

18. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Welcome back, folks. Feels like I'm putting on an old, comfy pair of jeans...so nice.

I'll be kicking off a new discussion in here soon, but until then, damn it feels good to be back.

Ramza Edit: Got a discussion request. Have moved relevant posts here.

Lukes_Apprentice likes this.
  19. Lukes_Apprentice

Oct 15, 2008
    SirakRomar Look I was tring to say should rethink this game guild. Was it rethought out six months go yes, but was everyone involved in a discussion or vote about it no. Should I as a game developer and person tring to become a first time game manager have to wait X number of weeks to submit my game idea for review? I say No that is unfair. Should a topic be put off because someone wants to do feature for game they did? My answer: No. Should we have feautures, discusssion and game designs? Yes. So as you can see this is what I'm tring to say is that each have our own intests and want to participate or not particpate in certain disccussion or see explaintions. We as a people deserve the fredom to choose what we are interested in and not be treated like bunch school children in detention. I'm not saying anything that is being done here is bad, far from it, I like featurettes and discussions on GM topics as much as the next guy. However, I should not be forced to sit though it If I don't want to. What I was trying to get at is that maybe all three things could be separte and in their own topic.
    Is this revoltionary? You bet because something needs to change. I would like to point out that the game guild has had very few participants in propotion to potential GM's this doesn't bode well as generally speaking organizations want to increase the number of people involved in discussions.

Is this the best way forward? That is hard to say but I would wager it would make me much happier.

Does the current system work? Yes and no. I hate to say it but I sometimes I just ingore a topic beacuse I'm not interested, but I want to be interested. I have suggested one way to change that might be better. However, there is no real way to completely revamp the system (going in order of submittion).

I could just be crazy though 8-} .

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    So, essentially, your proposal is that we get rid of the queue altogether and just discuss things as they come up, without regard to whether or not there is an ongoing discussion?

21. Lukes_Apprentice

Oct 15, 2008
    hardly that is a good way to do things that is one of the best things about it. I just hate waiting and listening to people sometimes when I'm not interested. This of course doesn't mean the topic should not be disussed. I'm just thowing ideas out there. I'm not saying I'm right.

22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Okay, then I seriously don't understand your proposal. What's different about your model?

23. Lukes_Apprentice

Oct 15, 2008
    [face_dunno] My propsal is three seperate topics: one for GM discussions, one for game design, and one for features. I figure it will make it easier for everone interested in each separate peice and increase the possibility of including more people in the long run. However, this is an asumption not supported by fact .

24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Ah, I see.

We actually used to have separate topics for... each of those. Literally. And it wasn't working - everyone just stuck to the Game Design group, and this was back when traffic was heavier. The Game Group restructuring initiative (And the similar Roleplaying Group restructure) - which was approved by a majority of users, contrary to your earlier implication - was designed specifically to combat this problem by sticking it all in one thread, to keep discussion going.

So far, it seems to have worked rather effectively. It even worked on the Temp Boards when we were down to a single thread for everything, so if anything, there's a case to be made for having a separate Game and Roleplaying discussion being overkill.

Consequently, I can't personally get behind the idea of redividing the thread.

25. Lukes_Apprentice

Oct 15, 2008
    Ok well that is barrel of angry monkies. Maybe instead of my idea dice could be rolled, but that would be unfair as well. Maybe shortening discussions and reviews down to one week would be better. I now know why it was decided that least gives me something to go on. All I know is that just because you have not thought of better solution doesn't mean there isn't one.