main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference The RPF Policies, Programs, and Events Thread - Now Disc.: New User Welcomes

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Imperial_Hammer , Aug 24, 2008.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I'd also be more than happy to be interviewed, if you need somewhere to start.

2. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    i'm with the others, go for it sirak. definitely be interesting to see people's processes, and all that stuff.

3. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    I think this is an unnecessarily bad idea. We already have a thread for people to give advice on how to create games and their process. GDG.

We also already have somewhere for people to talk about the history of the boards and their feelings on it. Its called the social threads, where we already get to know each other.

So...no.

-b

4. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    umm... blu? this is neither of those... this is taking a more indepth look at a person of some note in the RPF, inspirations, goals, what drew them to the RPF in the first place, how they perceive the history of the RPF. that kinda stuff. really, that doesn't have that much to do with either. it's not about discussing, it's about interviewing, which DOESN'T happen anywhere.

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    No, no, it's good that blu disagrees, I'm pretty sure that if we discuss anything ITT without an argument the apocalypse commences.

6. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    was just pointing out that what he's saying is inaccurate is all. he can disagree all he wants, just preferably disagreeing with the actual idea rather than a misconception.

7. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    I had the idea of starting a series of interviews with people on TFN who I think would be interesting to hear from. How they develop games or characters or how they experienced the boards over the years and it´s changes. Simply to reflect a bit about the boards history and the rescent revitalization and maybe give people a bit background about games and GMs. What does everybody think? A good idea? A stupid idea? " - Sirak

Discussing how they develop games and characters aka what the GDG and CDG should be used for.

How they experienced the board - Social thread worthy

Reflect about the boards history - The only original idea, but it wouldn't belong in the RPF.

Give people a background about games and GMs - If anyone really cares, sure this is fine, but this should be the main thing.

I say all that to say that I was addressing what she said it would be and ramza, not everyone is going to agree. Wtf?:confused: I can't disagree because everyone else does? Yea...no. And interviewing is fine...if it really matters, which it doesn't to me.*shrugs*

-b

8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Don't mind my sarcasm, going through this thread just reminds me of why I'm so bitter about policy discussions.:p

Anyway I view the theoretical interviews as being interesting supplements to the other aspects of the RPF. Nobody's talking about axing these aspects in favor of interviews, nobody's saying we should stop using those things, these would just be some fun diversions that focus on one user at a time for that most noble of purposes - the lulz.

Again, I'd point you to the YJCC's People interviews, which are certainly completely unnecessary within the context of the YJCC, but are still an entertaining read. And hell, if you're really concerned about the impact to the social threads then you just prohibit commenting within the interview thread proper. Nu's could use the traffic anyway.

9. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    I'm just saying I don't think it is necessary. I said that in like the first sentence of my post. If someone wants to take their own time out and do it, whatever. But she asked if we thought it was a good idea. I said no.

So yea, hopefully there will be compelling questions like "What newspapers do you read?":p

-B

10. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Thread title updated.

11. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Didn't something like this happen a while back with LSA? Thinking back, I remember something like a thread where people asked him different questions and he answered them. Not a one on one interview like I think y'all are talking about, but sort of like an open floor for any questions people might want to ask. I'm too lazy to look back through a bunch of pages of threads to verify this, but I'm pretty sure memory serves here. Could be something to look at as a starting point.

12. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    the diamond institute maybe? that's the only thing coming to mind.

13. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Well, first of all if you have an idea and blue likes it, I strongly believe it is reason for concern these days :p If blue is uninterested in the interviews I believe he can simply ignore them. I won´t even touch stuff GDG and Social boards cover. "In depths" is the word here. Nothing further said about it. Discussing interviews before you do them is bad style.

To Fin´s question. Good questions. Not weekly [face_laugh] Guess once in a month, roughly? Maybe in the timeframe they come out? Some maybe faster others slower? Irregular if you want to have it that way. Who is getting interviewed? Well, whoever I feel to interview. I am doing this to be fun, even for me! But I think I won´t "limit" myself to active, successful GMs. I would like to hear the thought of newer people around here. Of those who are a little less known to mainstream. Or those who stayed around for a long time. pashatemur and GAJello would be on my list. Former members like Imperial_Hammer, LordTroepfchen, Darth_bojangles and LordDarthUmbrus (if I can catch them) and newer people like TGI, Trieste and Spycoder. Obviously we would all await our share of our most popular game makers. I might begin with a cycle of rescent Award winners, probably. Background, inspiration, where they´re coming from and why they do what they do? Have you ever thought why people spend time here? I do sometimes. Anyway if they proof to be boring and absolutely nonsense I can always quit, right?

Considering the feedback I got so far, I think I´ll give it a try, anyway. I´ll make up my mind how to do it and give the Mods a PM.

Any suggestions how this should take place? An own thread? With or without discussion afterwards?

14. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    i think it's own thread in the RPR would work, as i don't think we'll need individual threads for each interview like they do in the YJCC. think something like the eucnn thread, or some such. just update the title, and maybe keep an index of exactly where each interview is. definitely have it so people can comment and ask questions though.

anyway, that's my two cents.

15. TheGoodImperial

TheGoodImperial Jedi Knight star 2

May 17, 2009
    I feel like discussing the interviews is important. Even online you do this in the "comment2 sections of newspapers, right? Everything else I´ll leave to people knowing their way around here better than I do! [face_peace]

16. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Sounds like a good idea to me.

Kallio Dynkos did an interview a month for that RPF newsletter we once had, and that hasn't been around for a while, so sounds good.

An interview thread that is intended for everyone to drop in when they feel like it, is, to me anyway, different from a "Game Designers Guild" thread, that sounds like it is intended and aimed at game designers.
    Similarly, to me, the Games Master Guild sounds like it is intended and aimed at GMs.

Whether or not their content, and what Sirak proposes, overlaps, her plan would feel more accessible and inclusive.

17. TheSithGirly

TheSithGirly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2007
    Oh wow, we got the sacred ground social thread dicussion again? Really? [face_laugh]o_O

Go ahead Sirak, I think it is an excellent idea.

18. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    No one said sacred. Smh.

[image=http://blastmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/facepalm.jpg]

-b

19. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I don't think anyone actually mentioned social threads, but I could be wrong.

And my thoughts: It'd be a shame to just limit it to GMs. Players would be fun to hear from.

20. TheGoodImperial

TheGoodImperial Jedi Knight star 2

May 17, 2009
    Yes, we totally need player interviews. Overlooked that point. I am obviously less interested in former members (don´t know a single name you used over there). But players and their view would be very, very interesting.

21. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    That is news to me. now someone needs to explain the "social" to me. They are actually there to ask questions?

Seriously. The Social threads are the pool for anything. If something is popular enough to get an own thread so it does. See Intervention. Pieces. GDG. Philosophy Thread. Interest Measurment. Etc. So that it is in social boards is not an argument for or against anything. It is not even an argument. Sure. Sirak could even post them in the social boards. But why would she?

So, that said back to topic. Player interviews YES, please. Although most of us are both. And I love getting some old folks back for an interview. I myself feel not too comfortable about being interviewed, but that is personal preference. I know in time Sirak will break me anyway.

One thread for all of them. Monthly to two weeks with soome quicker one to start it? And did you not do prototype of this in 2009?

22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Not to mention that'd make tracking down older ones a goddamn nightmare.

23. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    If one person wants to run it, that's great - I'd really enjoy getting more than one interviewer, so as to keep it fresh, but that would require some scheduling work on behalf of whoever runs it (and if Sirak's willing, that's excellent :) )

24. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Just very quickly, as I'm still on vacation: I've wanted to have a sort of "Interview with a RPFer" thing going for a very long time, I just have never been able to convince someone to do it. So I say go for it Sirak! :D

25. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Well, I actually already decided to do it :p So all I need is get it going and figure out how exactly to do it.

My idea so far:

Doing it monthly or every three weeks, depending on how easy it is and how much need for them is there. I think I´ll do a "Season One" which would last for about 7 - 10 interviews. I think only getting those who immeditely come to my mind, I already would say I can cover this even if half of the people say no. If people like it, there can be a Season Two either by me or by someone else.

I considered taking a partner, but I really think that it gives a format something to have an recognizable voice. So I would prefer to rotate seasonwise. And it truly is easier to cooridnate iwth myself. This should be fun not work . . .

So, my final question and on that one I really need input. Especially from you Peng and xani as far as she is available. Everybody else, please gimme your opinion.

The question of "How":

The "classical" approach: Do it in the RPR. Do the interview and post it in written form, like I would publish it in newspapers. Then everybody can discuss, joke or rant about it until . . . no matter what you guys say :p the next one comes up. I think that was my initial idea and it might be what everybody was thinking about.

The "roleplaying" approach: Do it IC. In NSWRPF or SWRPF. I do it as a game. I play the journalist, more or less me and the interview partner plays the guy interviewed. Him. Himself. I mean, he is playing himself. With the opportunity to show some irony in his self-portrait.

I see the obvious advantage of No1, but i must say i find No2 pretty charming.

Anybody?

Claire