1. Oh hai Guest!

Welcome to the RPF!

Reference The RPF Policies, Programs, and Events Thread - Now Disc.: New User Welcomes

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Imperial_Hammer, Aug 24, 2008.

Moderators: Penguinator, Ramza
  1. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 6
    Well, the only thing about roleplaying as an interviewee (and I say this as someone who wrote up a mock interview for a game once), is that there's so little action that it just becomes a slightly awkward way of formatting the whole thing. I mean, you sit in a chair, maybe you pretentiously sip from a cup of imported coffee, maybe you make an offhand reference to talking with your hands, etc. While I could see it having interesting results if handled properly, natural skepticism of peoples' willingness to commit to the kind of effort it takes to really diversify the action makes me lean towards the first option.
  2. spycoder9 Force Ghost

star 4
    First off, I like the whole idea.

Now, between the two options, I like the first one much better. It just seems easier and more fun to read, at least to me.

But yeah, I?m all for it. =D=
  3. Sinrebirth SWC and EUC Forum Moderator

Manager
    star 7
    Leave it to the interviewer and interviewee, I'd say. If someone feels like they're up for doing it IC, interestingly or whatever, then they are quite welcome to do so.

Format isn't everything, though. It's about us, after all - the relationships we've formed as a group, and who we are.
  4. DarkLordoftheFins Force Ghost

star 4
    Option one. Don´t distract from what I guess will be an awesome insightful project of online journalism with making it a game. :D So a list of your first "victims"?
  5. SirakRomar Force Ghost

star 4
    No spoilers. Only that much, I got an okay of him and we agreed on topics and it looks like it will be a blast! :pSo, i think I got pretty much a go ahead. Now I´ll do the first one and then talk to the Mods and make the thread, probably. Will be my first. :) Thanks all for input.
  6. Sith-I-5 Force Ghost

star 5
    You can see the roleplaying approach that I have tried over in the RPF Academy, to get information on games, from either GMs, players, or characters.

Rather than the sitting in a chair, being bombarded with questions, I went for an established locale, Reception Area with counter, computer, receptionist and a stargate; with ancillary staff members, any of whom can ask questions about the subject, and you can do it as an exchange of posts.

I have picked out one of my posts from there, below. The intention was to advertise a game, and could have been a simple paragraph relaying the pertinent data, but it was done as a bit of roleplay, hopefully in a more engaging way:

7. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I prefer Option 1 for the same reasons, but it's up to you. The content is what matters. :D
  8. SirakRomar Force Ghost

star 4
    So I´ll kick of my first round off interviews as soon as I´ve checked backgrounds. my first two partners gave me a "go ahead" and to my shock I got one "No!" which shouldn´t givbe me restless night considering how many names are on my list. Although it broke my heart.

I´ll do them in classical format and in a thread over here. If the four proof to be popular or even fun I think I´ll tackle the next four.

Just to give everybody an update.
  9. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 5
    Jumping back into discussion feet first: I think mixing both approaches would be interesting - some people can pull off an IC interview better than others and be more "on", some people have more to say when it's just a friendly, relaxed chat.
  10. LordTroepfchen Force Ghost

star 4
    I saw the "first one" and I think it works very fine. It has element of boh, I can say.
  11. SirakRomar Force Ghost

star 4
    [face_shame_on_you] That was an ancient draft. But interviews are running. First two are away. :D
  12. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 6
    Cool. Anything resembling an ETA or is this one of those send a questionnaire and wait for them to fill it out deals?
  13. SirakRomar Force Ghost

star 4
    Depends on when I get the answers. They shall take their time, of course. I don´t wanna rush anyone. It is so many questions I will post them in two parts or even three. But I hope it will arrive someitme in the second half of August. Since tonight I actually have a "GO" of all four interview partners of my first season.

It will be (in this order): Sinrebirth. LordTroepfchen. Saintheart. WingedJedi.

First two got questions, I work on those for the second two. Guess I´ll do it with Winged after LMII´s end and All Sparks launch so Ii can cover those two, too. Otherwise I take my time to do it proper, but i constantly work on it I assure you. ;)
  14. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 6
    Official bump!

The floor is now open to discuss the following proposition:

For reference, some points have already been made here: http://boards.theforce.net/role_playing_resource/b10757/31911868/p1/?8
  15. Dinkus_Mayhem Jedi Knight

star 3
    My only point I guess is that the 2 forums are so slow at this point that even merged we would still have a relatively slow RPF.

Separate forums doesn't seem to be a benefit at all to us any more.
  16. NickLitYouAFlame Force Ghost

star 5
    I understand the driving intention behind a merger, but I would prefer to keep the two forums separate. Maybe that's just because since I've been here, there has always been two distinct forums, but I feel like having only one would bring unnecessary clutter. Obviously, if one forum was desirable, it might also be worthwhile to consider requiring Moderator approval for new games again. That might prevent larger games on hiatus or in a dry spell from being pushed off of the front page.
  17. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    The question should not be whether separate forums gives us a benefit (that ship sailed several years ago), but whether merging would give us a benefit. And other than making things organizationally compact, I don't really see what we could gain from this.
  18. Winged_Jedi Force Ghost

star 4
    I was about to launch a defense of the current system, but figured I should go back to the last debate to refresh my memory first. What do I see but a series of posts under my own username, each of them strongly in favour of "unification". In fact, I was the one who first suggested it in the thread. Ahem.

Anyway, that's all in the past. In my still humble but very much revised opinion, there's nothing to gain from a merger, except, perhaps, a slightly closer community.

Does it really matter if two forums seem slower than one combined?
  19. DarkLordoftheFins Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, I think a week of traffic doesn´t tell us anything. Not so long ago with KotoLR, Lea Monde and ToRR starting of within´ two weeks people celebrated the forums coming back to "old speed" and now we got at least half a dozen of our GMs and users on forced breaks (I know of). The idea should certainly be considered if this level of activity becomes permanent. Not if we are at a down as we were on a high in the summer.

Actually I think we´re missing "high traffic games" right now. Simply because our old one are winding down and new ones have not yet emerged.

That being said, I think the merger would have one drawback. It would "unmotivate" people to make NSWRPF games here. We would look like a SW forum more . . .
  20. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    Considering IGN has screwed the entire board system [face_plain] so new users can't be registered [face_plain] what possible benefit could changing the setup have in terms of attracting more traffic? [face_plain]

It's only one more click of the mouse.
  21. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 5
    Board traffic is down in general as the MS works on the move; this is plain fact around the JCF as a whole.

I'm against merging the boards together again, but if need be, it can be done. By hand. :p

An idea floating around my head, if the boards are merged - if! - is that we can develop an easy classification system for games.

For example,

and

An idea.
  22. The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Well, let's be fair, now. We are.
  23. SirakRomar Force Ghost

star 4
    I´d say we´re 90percent SW. Although one could argue that while not many games came from the NSWRPF they made a lot of waves. SotS, Origins, all that stuff lately was pretty prominent. And our longest running game is over there, too. Tides of Flames. Yes, NSWRPF is small, but I consider it our independant studio that gives us a refreshing break to the "mainstream" of SWRPF. I want both and I am afraid if you mix them, we will have only one . . .
  24. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 5
    An unspoken part of my suggestion is a promise that we won't go back to the pre-NSWRPF ways where Mod approval was needed for every NSW game. I guess it's a spoken part now. :p

The only reason I can see for merging the forums is that traffic and activity in general is down, but that's a board-wide issue. Traffic in general is down all over the JCF.
  25. The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Might help with general awareness, too. I imagine more people browse the RPF than the NSWRPF, even if they're aware it exists and might be interested in its contents. And considering how far back the first page of the RPF goes, I don't think NSW games being drowned in a sea of stormtroopers and droids would be much of a problem. They can either sustain themselves, or they can't. Not a difficulty unique to NSW games.
Moderators: Penguinator, Ramza