Reference The RPF Policies, Programs, and Events Thread - Now Disc.: New User Welcomes

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Imperial_Hammer, Aug 24, 2008.

Moderators: Penguinator, Ramza
  1. Saintheart Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Sirak, the idea behind a "NSWRPF Flagship" is that Hammer and myself believe the NSWRPF would benefit from a large, original, well-GMed, well-occupied game that shows off what can be achieved from a non Star-Wars Role Playing game. IBOP was the SWRPF's flagship way back when it was running. There've been a couple of attempts to get such a game off the ground, but they've failed for various reasons mostly centred around "Too many cooks" or the mysterious disappearances of those helming the schemes. Aaaannyway...
  2. PRENNTACULAR VIP

star 6
    I don't know that seeking out to create a NSWRPF Flagship is the way to bring about what we want. It seems to me that the best way to grow that kind of game is to have it grow up organically and naturally, rather than artificially, so to speak.
  3. SirakRomar Jedi Master

star 4

Aaaaah I see! Really a problem of translation. Flagschiff . . . german for flagship . . . would hardly ever be used that way. But now I see what is meant. A mayor RP-event.

And actually that sounds extremely interesting. I think original games have a hard time here, anyway. Everything I sign up for vanishes soon afterwards because of lack of players [face_plain] Where is the thread this had been discussed? Was it meant to be a franchise? Do I find this attempt here in the ressource section? I would be no great help with "considering" my first attempt to GM coming soon. But I would support this as good as I can!

Sorry if I am annoying everybody with my questions, but when I took my RPing hiatus I seem to have missed this.
  4. Saintheart Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Where is the thread this had been discussed? Was it meant to be a franchise? Do I find this attempt here in the ressource section?

Indeed it is. You can find it right here.
  5. blubeast1237 Jedi Master

star 5
    Did you not leave and only have joined three or four games?

Original games obviously flourish more than flagships, mainly because their have only been one successful, and two tries with actual potential, which still failed. I am agreeing with what Prenn said. Letting one grow naturally is better than forcing it to be made. Chances are we start one, after much planning, and it goes well for about a month or two, then the players start to disappear and then failed.

One grows naturally from observing the player participation is growing and the RPF is rolling well. Right now, all of the boards are seeing decreasing activity, but at the moment we have hit sort of a balance like the stock market.

And, to add, I am so with Reynar that we go ahead and bring the contest to the main focus. Alot of people, including myself, have ideas rolling around in our skulls but could use some motivation to get us to put them in the way of going solid. Maybe some special prizes for winning?:D

-B-
  6. SirakRomar Jedi Master

star 4

What has me leaving to do with it? [face_thinking] But actually no. I joined five games that died quick death before I even found one lasting. 128ABY. I stayed with it, until everybody I played with left. I have actually received two mails THIS WEEK from GMs who told me they appreciated my enthusiasm but doubted their games would really take off, for lack of CS send in.

And this is something I also experience on the german boards I have been active in. But I guess my taste is simply to exotic.

That is a massive thread. :eek: It´s too late to read it today, but I understand the frustration that nothing playable has developed from such hard work.

7. sprintabm Jedi Master

star 3
    Looking forward to the next RPF-FF contest. Last one had a couple of interesting pieces.
  8. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    That's some hardcore theoretical speculation in that Flagship Thread... Yet I have to agree with Prenn and Beast. Best to let things take their natural course. The way it sounded, it also looked like there'd be multiple smaller threads rather than one massive thread, so in a way, that's kind of how it is anyway, just without a massive overarching plot...
  9. SirakRomar Jedi Master

star 4
    I am divided on the topic of "planned-" or "developed-" flagshipgames. I think you can´t build one from the scratch without someone whose "vision" backs it up. Then again, no such game seems to have developed to this day, so I think the whole stuff will need some help, probably.

Mass-appeal, mass-advertisment, defined vision are all things one can organize. Especially the last one was mentioned rather often in the thread but I couldn´t really see it in the endproduct.
  10. blubeast1237 Jedi Master

star 5
    :rolleyes:

I'm rather concerned with this whole thing about the NSWRPF needing a Flagship.

Yes, it would be good to play one and to show that the NSWRPF has grown popular, but is it me or is the NSWRPF it's own being in the variety of the games it has and the different ways one can play.

We have bright new GMs, new games, and an active crew that are not really screaming for a flagship. As Sirakromar represents, not alot of people know exactly what one is. In the RPF the games have become repetitive and predictable with only a few really shining anyway. In the NSWRPF, we have variety and people sharing their interests with others.

Bobamatt with Dune, Saintheart with D&D, Ramza with Justice League...

And let me tell you, I would much rather play Exiles before I play a flagship.

-B-
  11. PRENNTACULAR VIP

star 6
    I think that we need to recognize the value that a flagship will have. It will build community (which is somewhat lacking in the NSWRPF), and distinct forum identity (which, again, is lacking). Indeed, it will also set the tone and a great example for what games can be, if GMs put their heads to it, and that's always a good thing.

That said, I don't know that going out of our way to create one is the best way to achieve that. I would love to see an NSW flagship game, and perhaps even GM one, but I think that any game that sets out from the get-go to be a huge, forum changing flagship game (ala IBoP), is doomed to fail. Our expectations will be too great, and no matter how good the game is, we won't feel it good enough. Best to let this sort of thing develop of its own accord. And I say this as somebody who was (somewhat) involved in the first stages of the previous one.
  12. Kalio_Dynkos Jedi Master

star 4
    Regarding the flagship, people once again make good points. And it does make sense that creating something, or marketing as something "big" can be an issue - even horrendous for PR.

Why, to put it into a market perspective much of what we appreciate as fans around the world had little expectation of being something very big, and were once a one time project. Things that we have found entertaining which originally started out this are:

Star Trek: Rodenberry, the show's creator, commented frequently on how he expected it be something that would be enjoyed, when producing the shows, but they had no idea that the series would be popular in 1996, or thereafter, when incidents in the Star Trek Universe were supposed to happen. Now it's a long-standing franchise.

Horatio Hornblower - a swashbuckling tale set during the Napoleonic Wars that follows the career of a young British officer. The original book came out to focus on his Captaincy, but as the books became very popular in in the 1960s, the author went back to write the hero's early career and finish off his later career. It's also spawned a movie adaptation, written for screenplay by the author, with Gregory Peck in the lead. As well as a popular A&E series with a dedicated fan base.

Aubrey/Maturin Novels - set in the same time period, give or take a few years, except that the writer started with the beginning of the career of the sailing hero. When it took off, O'Brien was quoted later that if he had known it was going to take off, he would have started somewhere else in history.

Star Wars - I may be mistaken, but hasn't Lucas even admitted that while he created a large model to Star Wars, he truly believed that it would go no further than the first movie and that's why he incorporated what was supposed to be his conclusion of the Star Wars story - aka blowing up the Death Star - in the ending of ANH

My point, long-winded as is, points to a suggestion above that intrigued me.

Vision is necessary, SirakRomar said.

It might prove interesting to create a game wherein a single world is played in for a little while, with the expectation that more players and in-game development would birth a new thread and therein add a new element to the game. This way, a game can see if it will even get off the ground.

If it doesn't, say this one thread crash and burns, it could be told right within the very elements of the game why it died. Make the cataclysmic events of the past game a conclusion of the thread, that creates another reality - restarting the process.

It'd be interesting to see a game where the bad guys win. And, actually, along the way, this could happen in the story any way. With the remainders of that dead civilization crossing over into the other new universe.

I'd rather buy into a "Flagship" as an ideal, an idea with a mission, rather than a massive project right at the get-go. Get people involved and they'll be the ones to take it on and make it their own. That's community. Successful games around the RPF exist because the people are invested in them!

13. Kahn_Iceay Jedi Master

star 5
    I have, a suggestion, for the next RPF awards. A Best Co-GM award, a good deal of RPG's have more than one figure head, more than one leader. I think it would be fair to give some of the Co-GM's who help make the games great recognition, not just the Head one.
  14. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I believe TLI won last time (or the time before?) for co-GMing TSG. Well - I dunno if you call it co-GMing or not, but he wasn't the one to start the threads.
  15. The Great No One Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    i would like to suggest bringing some of the old Star Awards back. specifically Most Improved RPer, Funniest RPer, Best Newbie (instead of having it all rolled into just most eager newbie). i also think there is room for more of those, and think that we could share the recognition by doing so as there are some people that should win awards of some sort but seldom seem to.

:snoopy
  16. Hammurabi Jedi Master

star 4
    Maybe a 'Most Helpful Person in the RPR' to promote this forum.
  17. The Great No One Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    yes... that is a good one as well. very good one.

:snoopy
  18. blubeast1237 Jedi Master

star 5
    I thought the same thing, but once you think about it there isn't really a reason to have alot of Star Awards because you will start to see that some categories are the same thing just worded differently.

Though I am all for Hammur's idea. Especially since we're branching out to the other forums now.

And what happened to most likely to annoy the mods? That gives people like me something to strive for, you can't take that away!:mad:

-B-
  19. Hammurabi Jedi Master

star 4
    I would actually be in favor of switching Most Eager Newbie back to Best Newbie. And maybe reinserting Most Improved, because that feels like an important one.

We could also start rotating some of the awards - that allows us to limit smaller, more specific awards like Most Disgruntled Oldbie and Funniest GM and Most Likely to Annoy the Mods while simultaneously allowing for more variety.

I would say the core awards (those that should be present almost all of the time) are the current big four, plus the Resource award, Game Design, Character Design, Social User, and possibly the newbie/improved awards. Though if we wanted to, we could probably do just as good by switching out Newbie and Improved so that we have each on six month intervals. I feel more comfortable with a broader window on those two awards.
  20. Winged_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Agreed with all of this.
  21. Sinrebirth Immortal Mod-King of the EUC and SWC

Manager
    star 8
    Ditto.

As I quite like to hear opinions from people, I was wondering if we could instate a Review thread(s) of sorts, where a thread can either reach a certain amount of posts and invite reviews in a thread, or a Review thread fields discussions about exisiting RPGs, directed by whoever is running it?

I think feedback and discussion and support is the best way forward. The Game Designers Guild has a very small remit, and we have a great deal of discussion potential being scattered or focused too thinly.

Thoughts? I'd love to hear opinions about Shadow Games, for example.
  22. blubeast1237 Jedi Master

star 5
    Okay, A Critics Guild.

Let's list the operations of the threads we have here in the RPR.

GDG: Discusses the building process of Role Playing Games.

CDG: Discusses all the aspects of Character Building and Advancement

Introductions: ?

Discussion: ?

I think the reason why the EUCers are the main ones who are asking for a preview/existing game discussion thread is because of the lack of clear explanation of certain threads' main function. The RPG Introductions and Discussion threads are ambiguous to their purpose because it is, all in all, so close in relation.

Sinre, the Introductions thread states that it is the place where Users can go to discuss their current games and ask for assistance. Problem is, there is no one to run it/there is no structure of order to follow and this leads to people randomly posting things in there and someone asking for help or opinions can easily be overlooked.

The Introductions thread can be monitored for the next couple of weeks to see if there is an actual purpose to it and if that purpose is being fulfilled. The Discussion thread should undergo some kind of reformation where there is an order of business so people can get what they want.

Hammer and Saint, I think we should conduct a poll in the RPR to see what the general populace wants to see before we go about changing anything. Similar to what NP did when she rated the NSWRPF and the RPF.

Kind of ran off with that a bit.:confused:

-B-
  23. Reynar_Tedros Jedi Master

star 6
    How about a "Best Character" Star Awards category?
  24. Saintheart Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    First up, let me reassure anyone who's wondering where Hammer and I are or have been, we haven't jumped in yet simply because we've been reading the preceding posts with some interest, and wanted just to see how the discussion would proceed. On a personal note, I'm thrilled to see so much discussion in this thread because it says to me that many of you have a personal stake in th' place; I'm very happy to see that.

Having said that, we've got a few worms wriggling around the can lid right now, so let's look at what's been raised. Again I'm speaking for myself without reference to Hammer's views on each of these subjects, so anyway...

NSWRPF Flagship: Needless to say it'd be nice to have one, but I'm starting to agree with some of you that it has to evolve out of a well-received game rather than be planned from start to finish. I don't believe, however, that this should be an excuse for us to give up that dream, and we might put this one back on the table at a later date.

"Most Helpful Person in the RPR" Award: I like. I got the sense some people were confusing this category with "Most Educational GM" while the RPF Award votes were coming in. :)

Restarting "Best Newbie/Most Improved Newbie": The one quibble I have with this is that it can sound a bit patronising to our newbies. It implies that being a newbie is a bad thing, and that consequently the best newbie is the best of a bad lot and that the most improved newbie is the one who's done the best to see the error of his ways.

"Most Likely to Annoy the Mods" & "Best Character" Awards: How can I give simultaneous awards to the entire RPF? :p :D :D Seriously, putting this and other awards back in the mix is fine by me, only that (as some have tacitly put) you can't make it a list a hundred lines long, or else it'll wind up like the Academy Awards, with the unimportant stuff just disappearing under the "prestigious" awards.

Review Thread/Critics Guild: First: I'm all for threads that refine and help people run their games, but I don't think such a notional thread should be called a "Critics' Guild". Really bad vibe comes off that; turns me off to go in there, and I've been on these boards for the better part of 10 years or more.

I've got more, but I'll post it later on.
  25. blubeast1237 Jedi Master

star 5
    You're right, Saint.

I would much rather turn you on.[face_peace]

About the thread. It would be a place to discuss an existing game and a place with some type of order. Preferably, I would not want to run it and would much rather Sinre, you, Imp, or Reynar.

-B-
Moderators: Penguinator, Ramza