main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPR Archive The RPF Summer Challenge

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by Imperial_Hammer , May 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    Welcome one and all toooo....

The RPF Summer Challenge!
    15 Weeks - 15 Contests - 15 Winners!

[image=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_EqQZrgoXvqM/SFgQi2e9XUI/AAAAAAAABcA/Aqt3MXZTGBo/s400/Summer%2Bsun.jpg]

Bored? Well I have the solution for you! The very first RPF Summmer Challenge, hosted and judged by yours truly, Imperial_Hammer!

As the Summer tends to be a slower period in the RPF, I've decided to run a large contest to keep interest and growth going during these next few months.

What is it?

The RPF Summer Challenge is a series of RPing Contests, judged by myself, once a week, for the next 15 weeks. It'll be done GDG Style, and the winner will get a day's worth (24 hrs) of colors. At the end of the contest, the one user that has won the most contests will get a week's worth of colors, and the title of "Winner of the 2009 RPF Summer Challenge".

Schedule

Each contest will be a week in length, with the prompt being submitted on Saturday, and the winners announced the next Sunday. There may be periodic delays at my advance notice, and the challenge will shift accordingly around this. I expect most of these will happen late July/early August, when I travel back home to be with my family.

Week 1: May 16th - May 23rd: Game Design Challenge - WINNER: BobaMatt
    Week 2: May 23rd - May 30th: Character Design Challenge - WINNER: Winged_Jedi
    Week 3: May 30th - June 6th: Gaming Philosophy Challenge - WINNER: DarthXan316
    Week 4: June 6th - June 13th: Field Challenge - WINNER: DarkLordoftheFins
    Week 5: June 13th - June 20th: Game Design Challenge - WINNER: DarkLordoftheFins
    Week 6: June 20th - July 5th: Character Design Challenge - WINNER: Sinrebirth
    Week 7: July 4th - July 22nd: Team Challenge - WINNERS: LordT and SirakRomar
    Week 8: July 20th - July 28th: Program Challenge - WINNER: DarkLordoftheFins
    Week 9: July 28th - August 12th: Game Design Challenge - WINNER: Winged_Jedi
    Week 10: August 12th - August 19th: Character Design Challenge - WINNER: DarkLordoftheFins
    Week 11: August 19th - August 26th: Public Submitted Challenge - WINNER: DarthXan3118 / s65horsey
    Week 12: August 26th - September 2nd: Gaming Philosophy Challenge - WINNER: RachelTyrell
    Week 13: September 2nd - September 9th: Game Design Challenge - WINNER: Winged_Jedi
    Week 14: September 9th - September 16th: Character Design Challenge - WINNER: Sith-I-5
    Week 15: September 16th - September 23rd: The Grand RPG Challenge - WINNER: Sith-I-5

Leaderboard - Number of Challenges Won
    ***WINNER: DarkLordoftheFins: 4***
    WingedJedi: 3
    DarthXan: 2
    Sith-I-5: 2
    Sinrebirth: 1
    LordT: 1
    SirakRomar: 1
    BobaMatt: 1
    s65horsey: 1
    RachelTyrell: 1

[image=http://www.wayfaring.info/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/kakula-island-beach-beauty.jpg]

Rules

Pre Contest

1.) Contestants shall be having one, unabridged and guaranteed week to submit their works, marked immediately after the prompt for said contest is posted.
    2.) Any questions about the prompt can be asked here in the thread
    3.) All Contestants are to PM their pieces to the challenge host
    4.) After the week has passed, all submitted games shall be posted by the host in the "Challenge Works Thread." This will serve as a nice portfolio of our summer work.
    5.) Because of this public nature of this contest, be advised not to submit any games to the contest you don't wish to lose should idea theft take place. The Mods cannot guarantee that ideas submitted here will not be copied by third parties.
    6.) The winner of each contest shall be awarded 24 hours of colors.
    7.) Th

2. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Definitely count me in for this. Love the concept.

3. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    interesting concept imp. i'll have to think about getting in on some of the later ones.

:snoopy

4. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Excellent! I think I'll try my hand at this, now that I'm back in the game and all the RPGs that I was participating in have advanced way too far for me to catch up. [face_worried] It's a great idea, Imp. :)

5. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    I'm going to be away for a fairly large chunk of June/July, so I might as well join in on what I can now...

6. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002
    :eek: Wow! I just now noticed this!! Awesome good sir! I was about to go post how bored I was, but not anymore! I'm up to the challenge!! :D and on that note, win or not, I'm off to get creative!!! Hehehe. I can feel the ideas building. Hmmm, I might suggest this to a few folks! ;)

See ya'll soon!! [face_peace]

7. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Neat idea. I will have to give this a try throughout the summer. Not sure about the first few weeks though.

8. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    I'm very happy to hear people are enjoying this, and I hope it helps to give you guys some incentive to stick around during the summer months! I look forward to what everyone creates, and keep your eyeballs on that deadline, approaching this Saturday! :)

-I_H

9. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    I´ll join the GM related stuff, probably. And some others who are fun. Can´t promise to join the first, though. Even if I have an awesome idea, I am a little tight on my time shedule.

10. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I'm gonna play since I'm fairly certain I won't be taking a chance at colors away from anyone, but this would probably be a good challenge for me to stretch myself a bit on something I need to work on. ;)

11. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Woohoo!...

This sounds great.

:D

12. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Sounds interesting.

When does the first one start?

13. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    Four days ago, I-5. The schedule in the first post indicates the period of competition. Prompts are revealed on Saturday, and are due that next Saturday. :)

-I_H

14. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Very interesting, some of the character building challenges I may get into. [face_thinking]

15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I am intending to send something in Hammer for the first challenge - or leave it for a later challenge. I have until the end of tomorrow, yes

16. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I submitted mine yesterday. [face_devil]

17. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Just submitted my entry. Good luck to everyone else competing.

18. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    And to you, and to everyone else.

*nods to them*

19. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    G'luck, all!

20. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    just barely got one in.

so luck allz.

:snoopy

21. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    Alrighty folks.

That concludes the first challenge. I will have my ruling up tomorrow in this thread, and will have the portfolio thread up next after I finish writing this one.

And so we continue!

The Second Challenge

*** Create a (sheet for a) Star Wars character that is disabled ***

Game Design Judging Criteria

- Creativity
    - Realism
    - Biography
    - Spelling
    - Sheet Set Up and Items
    - Adherence to prompt
    - Attention to details
    - Sensitivity

You can find hints on what qualifies as a disability here. And my sensitivity criteria should be considered just a warning to treat the issue of disability with some maturity. This doesn't mean that all the characters sent in to me need to be / should be tragedies, but just bear in mind that real people have to deal with these things, and their cases deserve some respect. If you have any questions regarding this, let me know via PM please. :)

-I_H

[b]Edit:[/b] And the portfolio thread is up [link=http://boards.theforce.net/role_playing_resource/b10757/30082403/p1/?0]here[/link]. Discussions about the games will happen here in this thread, and not in the portfolio thread, so go at it! Tomorrow I will put down what I think and bestow the colors. :)

22. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Funny that two different RPs use ancient words for the Force...

23. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    I haven't seen such a strong selection of games since the early GDG competitions.

If I had to choose between them, I'd go for 'To Reign in Hell'. Provides a very interesting twist on the normal Sith RPG, and personally I just love that period in the EU anyway.

24. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    "To Reign in Hell" looks like a very fun game, a very similar idea was tossed around between myself and a few friends over the years but nothing ever came of it.

Though that one is my favorite for obvious reasons, great work was submitted by everyone. =D=

Now to think of a unique disabled character concept and bring it to life. [face_thinking]

25. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    THAT´s an output!

I must say these are excellent games. I am so glad I haven´t submitted mine. I would feel embrassed about it. :p

Actually me favourite is Winged Jedi´s The Bright Center of the Galaxy and I totally did Qui Gon Reborn´s premise in Journey to the Center of the Galaxy

Great job everyone!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.