main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPR Archive The RPF Summer Challenge

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by Imperial_Hammer , May 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RachelTyrell

RachelTyrell Jedi Master star 3

Feb 15, 2009
    Thank you! Now I have to find a good place to post the whole thing :) Even though I guess it might be to heavy for this place. But thanks for the award, anyway. [:D]

2. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    Sorry LordT, unrun games only sir! ;)

-I_H

3. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    A shame. Fin will hand in something connected, though. :) I have no time to participate this time, I am afraid.

4. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    How many Sith Games have been send in yet? I wondered, if I get mine done in time. Friday is it, right?

5. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    Friday is the technical deadline, yes, and it has now passed. I got two entries, yours included. They'll be up when I get some free time. :)

-I_H

6. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    So...what's the next challenge? We're almost finished! :cool:

7. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007

So, I guess we´re up with a character challenge, next. And the Sith Game challenge still pending . . .

8. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    Yes, we're keeping to the order in the OP. I've put this thread on hold until I'm done with grading hell and its aftermath. It'll be pretty soon. Maybe one more week. This challenge will finish up, we've gone too far for it not to. ;)

-I_H

9. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Hm...perhaps there's still more time to send in a Sith game entry? I've only just thought of one (besides To Reign in Hell, of course...)

10. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    So the Sith game entries are up! :D

Wing, I love that game. [face_laugh] Funny, quirky, crazy ... and is that a trace of Ultimecia I detect there? *FF8 fangirl* :D

11. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    Alright!

Now that I have a little more free time, this continues.

The two contest entries are up. Our two old foes, Fins and Winged continue their battle for dominance. ;)

Judgment will be up sometime this weekend, maybe tomorrow. :)

As for the next contest, the following:

[color=orangered][u][b]Summer Challenge #14 - Character Design Challenge[/b][/u][/color]

[b]Design a team of original characters (three characters minimum) from the Star Wars universe whose members are not just thrown in together.[/b]

[hr]
    Many thanks to Lightwarden for this idea. I hope I'm not forgetting any sub-elements of this prompt, as I can't seem to locate his original suggestion anymore. Anywhos, as this contest churns towards its conclusion, I think its fair to crank up the difficulties of this challenge a little.

A few provisos for this challenge to clear up some questions. As the amount of players you have to churn out increases, my expectations for the length and details of your individual bios slips in importance. Its still good to have of course, and will give you advantages, but its not as high on my list of the things I look at. Rather, due to the unique nature of this particular challenge, I'll be having a special eye for these relationships between your team members. You can almost consider yourself writing for one character, but this character is a team of entities versus a single entity. I will be looking at the whole package... how complimentary your characters are, their relationships to each other, their shared story, etc. Outside of this special change, the standard areas of evaluation apply. Creativity, writing quality, sheet quality, etc.

Also, I'm making this a Star Wars only challenge because I think if I open it to anything and everything, there is just way too much ground and variation for any hope of comparison to take place. Keeping it as Star Wars will give this challenge a shared reference point.

We'll still aim for a week, though as usual, extensions will be entertained if they are needed. For now, Challenge #14 will finish on the 16th of October. :)

And questions/points of clarification are always welcome, as usual, through PM or posts in this thread.

-I_H

12. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    This is why I keep records.

Personally, I am rather bored with the whole "a bunch of utter strangers get together and risk their lives or whatever" gig on account of the part where it's overdone in many games unless you get some good team-building activities in. Which is really something of a shame, since if you're not going to involve other people, you really shouldn't be roleplaying. I'm not saying that "complete strangers" is something everyone does, but I find games where characters all have existing ties to be far more interesting.

It's more fun when you have at least one of each of the following:
    -A tie to one other PC
    -A source of conflict with another PC (note: I am talking discomfort/unease here. If you've got a source of conflict that brings the game to a screeching halt, that's not always a good idea)
    -At least one other potentially recurring NPC

Plus, it makes introducing new characters much easier if they're tied to at least one other character. It also makes it easier to get people to follow plot hooks if it means something to someone close to them. And there's always the GM favorite of a target-rich environment.

13. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    So, you really did a sequel of my game [face_laugh] I thought you were joking when you said you would, Fin. Daring move to send an ABYverse game in. Let´s see how this affects your duel. :) Interesting games, though. Both don´t take the classical approach to Sith-Games one would have expected.

If you win, Fin . . . I´ll force you to play it. Be aware of that ;)

What happened to RachelTyrell´s Rule of Two? I loved that game, hasn´t she send it in?

I think I´ll take the next Challenge. I like the idea of creating a team. Even if I do disturb the battle for dominance between these two.

14. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Fight Club Sith style and the birth of a horror franchise [face_laugh] A lot of creative freedom for something that appeared to be THE traditional attempt in Game Design ;)

I am eager to se who wins. I kinda guess who will and I actually think I would know who´ll I choose, but they are SO DIFFERENT!

15. Winged_Jedi

Feb 28, 2003
    Brilliant challenge! Looking forward to cooking something up for that. [face_thinking]

And Fins, your Sith game really creeped me out. In a very good way though.

Thanks Xany! And there's probably a trace of FF8 in everything I do here! :p I am a huge FF8 fanboy...

16. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Oh, I am definitely doing this team challenge, and have just the team to cover.

Great idea, Lightwarden, and a response to your statement: Which is really something of a shame, since if you're not going to involve other people, you really shouldn't be roleplaying.

All things being equal, I would agree. But when RL strikes down the people I am playing against, sometimes having a team that can go off and do something solo, is my self-defence against going stir crazy.

17. Winged_Jedi

Feb 28, 2003
    Hate to ask for an extension again, but is it possible to get a few days more?

18. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    Granted Mr. Winged!

Lets push it up a week to October 23rd then. Haha, I can't believe our Summer Challenge will be ending in November, but eh, its largely my own fault. :p Next time I want to do a Challenge like this, I'll be sure to begin it in May! :p

Alright... two days, two judgments. Just keeps on rolling along.

For the 13th Challenge, I'm going to go with [u][b]Winged[/b][/u] for this one!

Both games hit the prompt on the head, and both are well done. The tiebreaker for this match comes down to originality. Winged presents a very creative premise with people playing elements in Revan's psyche. Its something I've never seen before, seems plausible, and presents new and interesting gaming opportunities. The soundtrack, pictures, and typing work very well to enforce a unique trippy dream-theme.

Fin's game is much more traditional. There's a standard mystery to be solved and team to solve it. Strange, creepy planet, stranger super-items like the sphere, and probably drawing on the rich wellspring of ABY lore that I know pretty much zero about. I do not hold the ABY elements against the game, as I believe that it can be entered in by anyone, as he says. Might be a little intimidating for newer users, but that is neither here nor there for the purpose of consideration. I don't see any reason why your average user can't join from reading it. There are nice pictures, a good dark and scary theme, elaborated story and rules, and a good sheet. By all accounts its a solid game to be certain.

But when I have to make a choice between this game and Winged's, well, there's nothing unique to the ABY game that can work to compete with the originality of Winged's game... nothing that I can put on the scale to counterbalance the creativity Winged demonstrates. As I hold creativity to be a virtue, in and of itself, its something I consider. Its the case of the good solid game vs. the good solid creative game... everything Fins brings to the table, Winged matches. In this case, it is the creativity that provides the push that decides the match.

Congrats [u][b]Winged[/b][/u]. Your 24 hrs of color will start soon, and you move one step closer to catching Fin's lead. Fins only needs one more win to secure the win! It's down to the wire! :D

-I_H

19. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007

Fin is much to polite to point it out, so I´ll do it, because . . . Hammer . . . you should probably reread the game. The part who people play and when they play and what happens to them . . .

And the idea ABYverse is intimidating to new players is handed around these days by the very few not in a game, actually. 129 ABY seemed to be not too intimidating for one, two players to join. ;)

Otherwise, congrats Winged! An interesting game you got there.

20. Sir_Draco

Sir_Draco Jedi Master star 4

Aug 19, 2007
    I think you quoted IH, LordT. But I see what you mean. Anyway. I think I´ll give the challenges a serious try this time . . . extension works good for me :)

21. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    I actually doubt I´ll have time for any challenges within´ the next weeks. Surely not for the next one. So, it is up to everyone else to stop Winged´s pursuit. I´ll watch and read. Good luck to the competitors, though. [face_peace]

22. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I will be trying to complete and submit my Teams Challenge today.

23. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    Ah, I suppose I should have been a little more clear when I wrote that. There is the mystery to be solved (what happened to the people who vanished), but yes, there is no exterior/separate team to solve it, its solved (figured out) through the victims, through the game (or at least I would hope so!). I say "team" only in the most meta-sense, that all people who sign on to the game create the game's team of players. I should have made that clear also. You are right to point out there are these distinctions, and your misunderstanding proves I could have written that in a better way. :)

-I_H

24. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    It wasn´t meant as offensive as it came out, I guess. It´s german translated into english, really. I just reread it, and realized that soudned a lot more unpolite in english.

Without questioning the judgment the slightest . . . I love Winged´s game . . . I just wanted to clearify the game´s content, as character submissions have already begun (dammit, must sned in a CS) and I am just feeling, it was reflected the wrong way . . .

Anyway: I just dig the idea Fin got there and wanted to point out that this might be the first, very first game ever submitted here that tells players "non-will-survive". You sign up and watch your character die. A tragedy with horror, or something. I think saying this is a conservative, everyday, conventional approach is a . . . bold statement, to say at least. Isn´t it actually unique, so far?

It is one step further from my Cold Embrace, where I told them only one makes it out. I was not bold enough to really say . . . nobody will make it. So, let´s see how survival horror works on the RPF :D

If we solve that mystery? I doubt it, actually . . . but ask Fin when submitting. [face_peace]

25. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Team Challenge entry in, as of a few days ago.

No PM confirmation received yet, 'Hammer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.