main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPR Archive The RPF Summer Challenge

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by Imperial_Hammer , May 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    I got it I-5...

And it looks like you're the winner, as there was no other entries!

Congratulations! :D

I'll get your sheets up in the portfolio thread in the next few days. I need a little bit to type up the details of the final challenge.

And I'll get yah your colors when I put your stuff up in the portfolio thread. :)

-I_H

2. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    I am eager to see what a Grande RPG Challenge actually is . . . we have to do a complete game? In a week? :p

3. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    Alrighty!

The final challenge is up, and just in time for Halloween!

Please find it here!

The judgment criteria and rules are in the OP. Play the game for a week or two and I'll try to pick out the most skilled player of the bunch.

And rewards for Sithy are upcoming!

-I_H

4. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Sorry to ask, but are Star Wars characters allowed in the final challenge? Becuase, I´ve just seen one. o_O If so and this place over there will be sprawling with Elves, Transformers and Dark Jedi soon, I think I would have a . . . different take on my character, actually . . .

5. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    Yes they are allowed, but...

They must be human. No elves, no transformers, no wizards, no people that can use the force.

I-5, sorry I didn't make that a little more explicit in the answer to your PM. You can keep Moe because I have plans for him. O:)

And Sato is perfectly fine. She is the kind of character I had in mind with regards to franchised characters.

Aaaannnd the first post is updated to reflect this omitted rule. :)

-I_H

6. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    Good, good. Although I´ll refrain from doing so, if I find time to join. Horror is about humans, is it? Is there still time to wake up there? Or is it closed?

7. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    LT, I believe it is open to all, as a Halloween season mini-game, and when you present your CS in-game, state whether you are entering the Challenge or doing for fun.

8. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    That´s it, right? Final challenge is done ;) Well, this was a good challenge season, even though the term Summer seems to be very open for interpretation. :D Anyway, lovely stuff and I hope some of the games and plots and characters show up somewhere.

9. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    So, I think we can add Sebastian to a long, long line of psychopaths played by Fin in Award-Games. :p

That last challenge was pretty surreal. So, is the winner already set? Didn´t Fin and Winged duel for the crown?

10. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Yeah, Fins already won it. I just didn't have time to participate in the last couple of challenges, unfortunately.

Must read through the Demon Room when I get a chance...sounds like a good read.

11. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    It was a bit of a train wreck for me. Once one character had been driven mad, and the other killed, there was nowhere to go for the second week.

12. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Well, I liked the premise a lot. Though the only thing you can do with warrior characters like Imperial Sentinels in Horror Scenarios is giving them an early gruesome death to underline the danger part ... ;)

Interesting idea of a one room game, actually. I´ve been thinking about it lately.

13. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Oh I agree, from a third-person point of view. Only, I could not make a case for Toshiko reacting any other way than she did, to Hammer's demon running his fingers over her face, or recovering from it after; so I was unable to react to the death of her companion or anything else that was going on.

14. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    So, has anything gone wrong? The judgment for the final game should be online and Fin getting colours for a week and all that, right? Would be a shame if this was simply forgotten, by all the effort people put in here . . .

And I gotta bet to win ;)

15. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    I've been holding the results hostage until the Tournament Judges bring down their rulings... :p

Gotta motivate people man! [face_cowboy]

Haha, nah, just run into a rough patch of RL. Thanksgiving Break is upon me, so I've been wrestling with papers due before the break, and yesterday/today getting packed up and ready to travel.

My schedule will be topsy turvy for this whole upcoming week, but I imagine a stretch of time will come up sometime in the week proper. Maybe Monday or Tuesday?

The results will be with my next major batch of game/RPR updates, whenever that comes. :)

-I_H

16. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I actually suspected that!

Sorry for delay on the Tournament, everyone.

I have a hardcopy of the duel to read, and I sort of got stalled five posts in.

Anyway, its the weekend again, and I will see if I can resolve.

PS. I know this is the wrong thread, but Hammer's comment is here.

17. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    Ok then!

*Drumroll please!*

For the 15th and Final Summer Challenge: Sith-I-5!

And our RPF Summer Champion: DarkLordoftheFins!

[u]Regarding the 15th Challenge[/u]

It was a tough call as usual, especially between two ace RPers like Fins and I-5. Each player brought things I really enjoyed to the table, though I felt I-5 did a hair better than Fins.

For Fins, I noticed and enjoyed your first person style. Your sheet is very creative and interesting, which gives you points, even though you did not mention if you were playing the contest for pleasure or for the challenge (which the OP asked you to do). Your sheet was also unusually frank and honest, which both creeped me out and made me notice it all the more. Your explanation of I-5's characters as actors was a nice way to get around the fact that Moe was a Sentinel (which I learned was not just a fancy title for a Sith, but are actually a real and different non-human peoples). Like I-5, you play to your strengths with the degree of introspection present within your posts. Your use of the murder weapon was well executed. You took it upon yourself to do the deed and to follow up with it, and you did it in a very well described psychopathic way. While normally I would be a bit taken aback by the abruptness through which your character broke down, in this case, the swiftness actually works for you. It not only underlines the corrupting power of the demon, but also makes the whole conversion all the more unsettling.

For I-5, you played with to your strength as well: dialogue heavy between a pair of characters, small sheets. A witty, humorous overtone, even in the face of such darkness. Where Fins brings a first-person uniqueness to his posts, you work with the extra hurdle of two people finding themselves more removed than normal from their usual settings. You play with a degree of versatility that is impressive, dealing with both the melting gun and the death of Moe in a very good way. The fact that you constrained yourself to the realistic by laughing through the sheer terror and emotional brunt of it all is great. It demonstrates a strong belief in the realism of the situation, and that, despite the characters laughing and your own propensity towards humor, no one is laughing when it comes to demons and murder. Its appropriate and fits the dark theme of the room. Finally, at the end you do something I did not foresee and played a scene with Death, using Discworld's Death (who I am intimately familiar with), and Moe. I think its an interesting way to keep Moe in play, especially when Tosh is now irreparably damaged.

So see, lots of good points and both sides! In the end it becomes weighing Fins' 1st person writing, sheet, introspection, and execution against I-5's wit, versatility, realism, and creativity. [i]In my very humble opinion[/i], I am more impressed with what I-5 brings to the table, especially with his reactions to Fin's death-dealing move, and his play with Death at the end. For I-5's reactions, I [i]personally believe[/i] its much more difficult to know when [u]not[/u] to write than when to. You can recall Peng's very simple post in Man Cubs that delivers the rawness of a traumatic situation in a way that a full length embellishment could never do. I approach I-5's posts after the demon and Moe's death in a similar manner, and I find myself thusly impressed. Likewise, I-5's play with Death, while not really within the bounds of the game, is also not explicitly outside of it. I found the inclusion there to be very creative... I would have never thought of it.

I must stress though that I really enjoyed Fins writing here also! The twistedness of his character was so grand! Truly sociopathic! Everything from the creepy mother fixation to xenophobia to his fetishization of the knife. It was by far one of the most frightening characters I've seen around here in quite some time. Right up there with Lolrus and beyond. Its very difficult not to vote here just on character alone!

I suppose it is fitting that one of the toughest, if

18. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    Congrats Sithy and congrats FIN! Despite never writing "for the award" you made it yours! And pretty undisputed, I think. Well, I am midly surprised, but I admire your dedication to this and your creative output, Fin.

All others, well done. Well, well done . . .

19. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Congratulations to Fins! It was a close contest (Final breakdown was 4-3-2 for the top three spots), which makes winning just that much more awesome. Also congratulations to Winged, Xan, I-5, the various tiers for fourth place, and really, everybody who was willing to not be as apathetic as myself and enter. Really stellar output all around.:D

20. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    Well, congrats to Fin! I think you were leading the list through the whole game and won by sneaky taking those awards nobody else cared about, did ya?!? :p Oh yeah and this out of the mind brilliant AI character . . .

Actually while reading through Demon Room I realize once more, that Fin is the address for really really creepy guys on the board. A game which is all about hunting down his pschopathic villian could actually work extremely well. [face_laugh] He can play characters you don´t wanna meet in real life.

And congrats to Sithy to be the final challenge winner, of course.

21. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    And thats a wrap kids!

Bravo once more, and lets do 1/2 of this again next year :p

-I_H

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.