main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPR Archive The RPF Summer Challenge

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by Imperial_Hammer , May 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Mysterious September, yeah! [face_laugh]

-------> Inside-joke between Winged and me. He understands. ;)

2. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    When I first read this, I thought it meant a character literally tied to the railroad and about to be run over!
    [face_laugh]

Although...:D

3. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    *chuckles*

4. TheSithGirly

TheSithGirly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2007
    I´ll lurk this and when something comes around I´ll send something in. I am on limited duty, but I think comparing my skills with the RPF´s finnest . . . won´t make them less sharp. :D

A good idea this is. I am happy to see it get´s so many participants . . .

5. Yuul_Shamar

Yuul_Shamar Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2004
    I should have my entry for the cartoon RP in sometime late tonight, though given that it'll be my first attempt at a game I doubt I will win but it should at least be fun.

6. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    Alright!

And the Challenge marches on! I believe I got everyone, so here goes:

The Cartoon entry only had two submissions, one from Wiggins and the other from Fins.

Comparing the two games, I give the win to Fins, putting him on top of the grand leaderboard with two wins!

Wiggins' game struck me as a bit short. Especially if your doing a game on a less popular series, in a time and country most posters here are not particularly interested in, a GM, in my opinion devote a fair deal of effort in setting down the scenario. If would have liked to see a little more of that also in Fins, but it was definitely more elaborate.

This also applies to the point of the game. For Fins, we have a very established direction and quest whereas it doesn't seem that the point of the game is that clear for Wiggins. While this can be established after the recruitment, giving players a set direction in the OP can urge some fence-sitters to take the plunge and send in a sheet.

Fins' game also looked far more snazzy. It looks like a big deal, with colors, pictures, soundtracks and the like and as a GM, I think that does help. Shows dedication creativity by the GM. This attracts players.

I do not like the idea of Fins' post cap, but I am well aware why its there, and I'm sure my distaste for it does not come as a surprise to him. :p

Anywhos, so yes. Detail, detail, detail wins the day here. I believe Fins is out for the weekend, so remind me to give you your 24 hrs of colors come Monday should I forget. And thank you Wiggins for participating and posting up a good game. It will be a welcome addition to the portfolio.

Any other questions can be sent to me via PM. :)

And I believe we only have one sheet for the character design challenge, so if you want to get in on this, last call. It closes up tomorrow.

-I_H

7. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    think i'll be able to get a sheet in for that later today hammer. i've got an idea for it anyway.

also, congrats to fins on another win.

:snoopy

8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Congratulations Fins.

However, I'm afraid I will have to be threatening both of you into actually making those games, now.[face_skull]

9. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Congrats to FIN!

I would love to see them! [face_laugh] I can almost see how Fin is giving He-Man the Watchmen-Treatment! :D

10. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Can´t believe Eternia has won. Was the product of a afternoon-break after I couldn´t shake the idea of making He-Man into an amazing post-eighties storyline. And then I found these picks and . . . there we went. Well, I prefer to get my colour tomorrow. And as I had not time to do the Railway Challenge I´ll wait for the next one to arrive.

Two wins in a row? Can´t be!? I never win anything in TFN! :p

And Sirak, consider the obsessed Ramman who feels like onyl half a man, when he doesn´t wear his armor and evil-lyn who has a son with the King after seducing him a ruining his marriage . . . cut-content :p

11. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Darnit. I wrote a fantastic OP for a postmodern, deconstructionist Dino-Riders game...and then my computer crashed. Darnit darnit darnit.

12. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    Alright... time to get this thing back on the track.

The Railroad Challenge is posted up in the portfolio thread. I'll have rulings on that up tomorrow.

Onwards to the next challenge then!

The Seventh Challenge

*** With one other user (no socks), create the best back-and-forth exchange you can***

Basically, I want to see the finest-quality exchange you guys can create. Find a partner, get together, and bang it out.

Because of the team nature of this challenge, both team-members will be getting credit for a win, including colors and points in the final roster.

The details

1.) The exchange has a minimum of 3 posts per user (6 total) and a maximum of 10 posts per user (20 total)
    2.) Each post must be specified in the submission. That is, do not blend the two users' posts into a single narrative. I want to see which user wrote which post
    3.) There is no set scenario. That will up to the users to create.
    4.) Character sheets can be added onto your first posts, if you even want them at all.

Exchange Judging Criteria

- RPing Mechanics
    - Post Compatibility
    - Scenario Quality
    - Post Quality and Artistry
    - Something else probably

As always, questions can be PMed to me, or can be posted here.

-I_H

13. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    Oh, I wanna do this one :D And now I have to find myself a partner . . .

14. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Want to join forces? My Nifesta, and your...

15. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    Alrighty...

As to the winner here. Sinre vs. Seremela.

This was a tough decision, interestingly enough. Both were pretty good sheets. Sinre in his ultra-creative, abstract way, and Seremela in his/her? quality, straight to the prompt, sorta set-up.

To me, it is clear enough that Sinre has the better character. While Seremela's is good, don't get me wrong, I don't find it as engaging as Sinre's. Its more or less straightforward, so much so that I might hazard that some of the more strict among us might label it a Gary Stu. Grisled old sheriff, has a skeleton in his closet, goes to a small town to hide out, and now his past is catching up with him.

Its good, but also well traveled, ground.

Now, I like Sinre's character, but I also kick myself in the butt for not making the prompt more clear. That wasn't exactly what I was going for when I said to have a character "tied" to the railroad. And I think he knows it ;). So while I would like to toss his entry out as not related to the prompt, I am well aware he could rejoinder that his character is the closest to the prompt that there ever could be, literally tied to the railroad.

Plus his character is darn creative, his punishment is interesting, his two-characters-in-one-setup is unique, he's got relatively interesting faults, and a story line and etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

So in the end I give it to Sinre, though a hearty congratulations to Seremela for an excellent entry. I didn't expect this two-sheet, should-be-simple choice to give me so much to consider.

And mark my words Sinre, your days of prompt warping are done for! :p

-I_H

16. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    I can only say I heartily agree with your decision, Imperial_Hammer. I knew I was done for the moment I read Sinre's awesome sheet :p

My congratulations to Sinre =D= =D=

And thank you for the Gary Stu warning, I SO do not want to go there! :eek: [face_worried] I'll keep that firmly in mind for future sheets.

Seremela

17. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Ditto. Congratulations, Sinre.

I had settled on the idea of a roving Pepsi Cola salesperson, using the train to visit different small towns, but I could not find the time to sit down, select a CS format, and begin doing it.

18. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    Dammit, Sith-I-5, I am sorry, but I hadn´t checked the forum again, when I took the invitation of another player . . . I would have loved to collaborate with you on this.

I´m sorry man. Like your work a lot. [face_worried]

19. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Me and Trimaj will submit something rather . . . spoilerish . . . teaserish . . .

20. RachelTyrell

RachelTyrell Jedi Master star 3

Feb 15, 2009
    I have a little time at hands . . . would anybody partner with me? Maybe someone fluent in english to counter my bad spelling would be good :p

21. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I am still available.

22. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I'm ultra-creative?

[face_blush]

[face_innocent]

I read this article about how the judges of an online game placed a criminal player in an area where all he could do was ride a train that would bring him back to the area he started off in - a prison, so to speak.

Thus the idea was born, and the symbolism of a railroad grabbed me straight away. Then I just told everyone the story of my family. :p

As a fan of the .Hack// series, I?ve been deeply intrigued by the relationship between the person behind the computer screen and the person they?re playing as. To a degree, we?re all roleplaying. I?m Ryan Shepherd roleplaying as Sinrebirth, it could be said. I?m certainly not inclined towards grand displays of powermongering offline, really. :p

Thank you, Hammer! :D

That?s what you think. ;)

23. RachelTyrell

RachelTyrell Jedi Master star 3

Feb 15, 2009
    Congrats Sinre! That have been two good entries *looksatherunfinshiedone* Good I haven´t embarassed myself with trying. [face_laugh]

Sith-I-5 . . . still available? Then let´s roll!

24. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Congrats Sinre.

Is this one still due Saturday? Would there be a possibility for an extension?

25. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Sorry, I will not be able to participate in this latest one without an extension.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.