RPR Archive The RPF Summer Challenge

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by Imperial_Hammer, May 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Great No One Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    ok, first in answer to RTs question, i don't think anyone can argue that there is not a need for a game mastering guild, and i for one have wanted one for quite some time.

now to the issue at hand, i just have to ask, WHAT THE HELL DOES IT ACTUALLY MATTER IF THERE'S A NEW THREAD FOR IT!? that is the easier way to do it. period. just start a new one and leave it be. sheesh, i can't believe this descended into a serious argument in the first place.
  2. Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs

star 5
    Alright alright...

Thats enough. There is no need to get testy, and some of these comments are drawing close to the line of personal attacks.

Everyone has had a chance to say their piece, and each side seems to have their arguments represented.

As always, it falls to the mods to make the executive decisions regarding this sort of thing.

Therefore, after consultation with Xan, we've decided for a new thread.

Fins, your version as it stands, however, needs some tweaks before posting.

So please PM us first for further instruction. :)

-I_H

Now lets get back to the purpose of this thread.

I've not received a strategy game yet with regards to the contest

The deadline as stated previously is the 11th.

I'm willing to give one more 72 or so hr extension if needed.

But that will be it, and I will accept a null result if I have to

So if you want to do this challenge, get going. And if not, well then don't :p

Either which way, we will be moving on with this by the end of the week.

Haha, this "Summer" challenge will soon be extending into Fall, and I would like to minimize that as much as possible. ;)

-I_H/>
  3. Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs

star 5
    Alrighty

The three submissions we received for the strategy game are now up in the portfolio sticky. I'll have rulings for them up tomorrow. Also the first post continues to be updated, both with winners of the previous challenges and now a leaderboard of which user has won the most challenges.

Now lets get the next challenge up:

Challenge #10

Design a character whose profession is that of a detective

Calling all private eyes and gumshoes, this challenge is for you! The role of detective is an interesting profession that doesn't really seem to pop up all that often. This challenge has no barriers on SW or Non-SW, no barriers on time frame, no barriers on location. Let see what everyone comes up with.

Judging criteria are the same as they usually are:

- Creativity
    - Realism
    - Biography
    - Spelling
    - Sheet Set Up and Items
    - Adherence to prompt
    - Attention to details

PM or Post, as always, if you have any questions, comments, or concerns

Also, I'd point people's attention to the upcoming challenge known as the "Public Submitted Challenge". Send me PMs with prompts you would like to see done here. Anything that can be judged is fair game, from theory to game design and beyond. I will take the one I like the best and that will be the next challenge. There is no cap for the amount of challenge ideas a user can submit.

So start thinking about that too! You might see your challenge up here next!

-I_H/>/>
  4. Sith-I-5 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Oh well. If you got THREE responses, I might as well forget it.

This was one of those where I would need to be the only contestant, to get colours.
  5. SirakRomar Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh wow, that are three really good games. Not my kind of game, the strategy type, but I think they would actually tempt me.

I think I´ll give the newest challenge a try, if I can sqeezr the time out of my life.
  6. Sith-I-5 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Wow. Thank you, Sirak'!
  7. Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs

star 5
    As promised, however long delayed...

3 submissions. Winged, Xan, and I-5.

Firstly, thanks for submitting! Your games were all very good reads. :)

So we go down my train of thought.

I-5. Your game is a very good idea. Starcraft and the small scale warfare hasn't had much airtime here on those forums. And I think you do a very safe, stable, straight transposition. BUT. You miss the biggest thing for this game. Map. Where are the mineral fields? Where are the straights and cliffs to ambush? The small games are very very map intensive. Get yourself one of them, add some details on your small units, and you'll be A-OK.

Then its Xan vs. Winged.

Xan has bowed out, since she has colors. So Winged is the winner for this go.

Now, *if* Xan was in contention, would she have won? I'm going to go with probably. Here is why I think so. I like that she has a map. Alot. One of my main gripes with System Lords is that the Star Wars galaxy can keep on expanding by increasing the detail. Seems like new worlds are popping up all the time in the Galaxy, and I fear Winged's game will fall into this trap.

Its not a terrible trap mind you, but it does hurt the strategy-ness of it all when you can keep on expanding and never confront.

Each game really does have different uniqueness about it. Xan has a more cool system under the hood, whereas Winged has a more simple system, but does some very cool things with it in design. Force Points are a very neat thing, and I do enjoy the idea of dueling ideologies. I think the ideas here could be used for "Black and White" type RPGs with other sort of religions and beliefs. I also notice some redundancy in Xan's traits/natures aspects. I dunno if that is purposeful or not, so I'm going to not get hung up on it.

In the end, if I have to choose between Xan and Winged, which I don't (thankfully! :p ), I would choose Xan's unique mechanical system over Winged's creative detailing. Both have their place, but I think Xan's system has more potential to be a longer-lasting strategic base for the forum. A real System Lords alternative vs. a new sort of place to play with points.

Anyways, congrats Winged! Your game was still very very good, and your colors are well deserved!

-I_H

Also: As I didn't really specify in the last post, the Detective Challenge has an original deadline for 8/19/09./>
  8. Sith-I-5 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Ah, a map. Right.

Thank you for giving my concept more respect than I did, Hammer. With your notes, any GM wanting to make something of it, will have a foundation to start with.
  9. Winged_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks for the colours! Though I insist that Xan be awarded the win on the leaderboard, since she was the true winner (great game BTW- you need to actually run one sometime Xany!)
  10. DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Master

star 4
    Congrats to both of you! And actually I think yours wasn´t that bad, Sith-I-5 . . . not at all . . .

I send my entry to the current challenge. It´s a little different spin on a very well known private eyes, actually . . . and I know there is at least one rivla this time. So I don´t steal any colours, if I get ´em. A big if, though.
  11. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    Bold, italicized indigo, Winged? I approve.;)

Congrats to both you and Xan, and I-5 as well, really, they were all great games.
  12. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Nah, a win's a win, Wing. Congrats! :D

As for the redundancy, yeah it was deliberate. Well ... kinda ... that traits/natures section was something I thought of at the last minute as a method for adding more flavour so not all tribes would be identical, and I liked the idea of people being able to play the bloodthirsty leader of a tribe of tinkerers. :p It could probably use some tweaking if/when I ever run it.
  13. Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs

star 5
    Alrighty!

While I have some submissions for the detective thing, I'm going to hang off on judging them until the weekend. Lets go with Saturday as the set date, saaay, 2pm, Central Time. If you guys have some last minute submissions or wishes to compete, you have until then to get it into my PM box.

-I_H
  14. Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs

star 5
    Alrighty...

Detective Challenge Results are up. I think I got everyone. If I missed someone, please PM me and I will edit you into the post.

Results will be up maaaybe tomorrow, maaaybe Monday. Depends how my schedule goes.

No one talked to me about the publicly submitted challenge, so I'm going to put up something myself.

Challenge #11 - Team Challenge

*** With one other user (no socks), create the best romantic exchange you can ***

Like the last time, just get together and make something good. This time, drum up a piece of writing that makes me go "aww" ;)

Also like last time, because of the team nature of this challenge, both team-members will be getting credit for a win, including colors and points in the final roster.

The details

1.) The exchange has a minimum of 3 posts per user (6 total) and a maximum of 10 posts per user (20 total)
    2.) Each post must be specified in the submission. That is, do not blend the two users' posts into a single narrative. I want to see which user wrote which post
    3.) There is no set scenario. That will up to the users to create. It just has to be romantic. If I can't tell that it is romantic upon reading it, its probably not.
    4.) Character sheets can be added onto your first posts, if you even want them at all.
    5.) Be mindful of RPF Rules. It can't be too steamy, if you even want to go that way. It also must be a heterosexual relationship between the characters, as per the rules of TheForce.Net.

Exchange Judging Criteria

- RPing Mechanics
    - Post Compatibility
    - Scenario Quality
    - Post Quality and Artistry
    - Adherence to the Prompt
    - Something else I'm sure

As always, questions can be PMed to me, or can be posted here.

-I_H/>
  15. DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh I´ll so gonna join that next one . . . even though I fogot my own submission, dammit. But that´s one I will greatly enjoy . . . now, I need a partner. *clapshands*
  16. Mitth_Fisto Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Now that I've actually stopped by to read alittle, all I gotta say is...

Most intrigueing[face_thinking]
  17. Sinrebirth Immortal Mod-King of the EUC and SWC

Manager
    star 8
  18. DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Master

star 4
    Would be my great honor, Sinre. I´ll pm you in a minute . . .
  19. DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Master

star 4
    Hm . . . Imp, as the last one showed team-contests are better done in two weeks. Can we assume we have a second week? Otherwise that not be managable by me . . . and I wouldn´t let Sinre down . . .
  20. Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs

star 5
    Yah thats totally fine Fins. Week extension is granted. The Romance Challenge is due Sept. 5th.

As to the chaaaracter challllenge:

A very hard challenge! Definitely one of the hardest, if not the hardest. As usual in such cases, I repeat my disclaimer that I am but a mortal human being and claim to be an expert in nothing. I will also repeat another disclaimer that at super-high quality levels of writing, judgments becomes more a manner of opinion and artistic taste than of real problems or issues. You can judge the value of a Van Gogh in relation to a Timmy Smith with a fair degree of objectivity (if not, my fingerpaints from when I was 9 should all be in museums :p ), but judging a Van Gogh in comparison to a Rembrandt is a matter of taste, philosophy, and preference.

So with those very important points clearly in mind... the following:

Winged: Creative sheet, but I am not certain that it comes without its own disadvantages. In the process of making it an entertaining read, which it certainly is, I am losing details. Unless I missed it, I am not getting things like hairstyle, eye color, and hair color. These are small things, but in contests such as this, small things matter. I think it underlies a structural weakness of the narrative sheet, which is an overlooking of tiny details that may be useful sooner or later. The old IBoP comprehensive sheet is boring, but gosh isn't it informative?

As to the character in and of itself is good. Nothing too amazing, but I like the idea of a father concerned with his son. Its unique and interesting, and while the Purge is a very common theme, having it seen from the eye of a non-force user (right?) father is a cool spin.

Very good entry, but I'm going to pass on giving you the win, as I think there are more qualified candidates

----

Fins: By far the most creative interpretation of the prompt! A super-computer detective in the future solving crimes from his refrigerated room and pitted against another computer. And on top, to have it as a clever mimic of Sherlock Holmes. Not to mention a well put together back-story. Its so up there, I even decided to do a Google search to see if it was ripped from another Holmes mimicking franchise. As far as I could see, it was not! So with an all around attention to detail, both in bio and in technical specifics (which was amusing), its an extremely impressive sheet. Plus your quote section was also funny (however confusing it was strung together like that with no breaks).

I think your sheet blends everything together in the best way, and so I shall put you down for one more win sir!

----

Draco: Hrm. A good sheet detail wise. Its short, but I for one believe that answering "appearance" with a picture is an easy and sufficient way to get around all the mundane details of a complicated sheet. So alright, I'm willing to picture your character as House, or whoever the dude is. As to his persona and the bio, it seems a little overdone if you ask me. A sort of angsty exorcist/spiritually inclined person. I think there were a few of those in Aria, and I can think of John Constantine as at least one of those "type" of characters in the mainstream. Also, I might just be dense, but I had a really tough time understanding your bio. What was his father's work at the police station? Was it more visions? Or some psychic residue? Or something else? Rude methods of his colleagues? Whats that? Cursing? Drinking? Sexual Harassment? And Marie Steward? She, the little girl, was his father? And an it vs. a she? I won't go through the rest, but I think your bio needs to be considerably more clear.

----

I-5: Haha. I remember these guys. Nice to see some familiar faces. Its a good sheet, but I don't know how competitive it is here compared to some of these other entries. The bio is short, and the post you included, while informative, doesn't add a ton to it (compare with Winged for how to do that same technique a little better).

One thing I do like about your sheet was, by including a post, it goes probably just as far/>
  21. LightWarden Jedi Master

star 4
    So, oddity: For some strange reason, LightWarden has decided to completely leave out a rather useful and informative section of his sheet. Odd. Is he lazy? Is he crazy? Did he forget to attach a picture? Wait, hasn't he already used this character with a description two times in games Hammer has already played in? Why wouldn't he just use that? Hmmm...

Could he be up to something? Let's take a look.

The other major oddity is this big mess of numbers I submitted before I submitted the actual in-character stuff. While you could dismiss it as a big mess of numbers, you could also try to figure out what it means either by asking someone or by looking things up. We do have a tabletop-ish thread for that sort of thing. In fact, we've got stuff on the first page!

22. LightWarden Jedi Master

star 4
    Or perhaps I'm just full of it.
  23. Winged_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Was just experimenting with that last entry, but seeing as Fins is running away with things, it's time to step it up a gear. :p

Romance, eh? Hmmmm...
  24. DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, thank you Sir! When I saw the others go up I thought I have no chance, but one should not underestimate Supercomputer, I suppose. :p

It is not based on any franchise. It actually developed out of the silly name-play Processor Moriarity. From there and adding some Cyberpunk experience, things worked out by themselves. I consider doing a game based on that idea somewhere in the future. I guess it could be fun for a while . . .

All others have done great work, really. I was impressed and I am much more honored to win this one, because I think many of us deserved these colours. For once I haven´t stolen colours from a lesser visited competition, but had to earn them!

Thanks to all.

And Draco, my dear adoptee . . . Rufus Jameson from Aria . . . and future Sins . . . Rufus was about the way you played him, not his sheet. ;) Would this have been an opening post contest yours would have grounded the competition to subterran levels . . . especially me.

And Winged, still time to catch me . . .

25. Winged_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Only just read over those entries, and Fins, that sheet was brilliant. Had me cracking up. Processor Moriarty... The worst puns are always the best. [face_laugh]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.