main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPR Archive The RPF's relationship with FanFiction

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by blubeast1237, Jan 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    It has occured to me that we are branching out to other forums, the main one being the EUC and the SWC, slightly, and the most obvious of forums to connect with, we haven't done so as vigilantly with the FanFic writers.

We write and they write, so I was wondering what kind of things could we get going with them. I cannot do this alone which is why I opened this thread.

Some of us (Jello, Sinre, Reynar, and I) have already ventured over to the FanFic forums and posted stories of our creation and since the NSWFFResource is having a topic discussion similar to this one about how to rejuvenate their new forum while we are trying to figure out ways to advance our NSWForum.

Help me plot, scheme, and discuss possible efforts to join these two forums. Also, excuse me if a thread like this has always been done.:-B

-B-

2. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    We had that RPF-FF contest once and they have/had a game running here ... but other than that, I don't think we did anything with them. Which is a pity, because I've dabbled in fanfic as well and it's got a lot in common with RPing.

Maybe work up a partnership with their OCs thread? Most fanfic that comes out of the RPF is probably OC-centric, I think, because we like to make our own characters.

3. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    I know I started typing up one for my character last night...still am because it's becoming much longer then I thought it would be <.<

4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I'm working on writing the ending for 128 ABY up, have been for some time, after all. I even have entered one of my RPG characters into the Diary Challenge for 2009.

But how to we make these links material? An RPF Fanfiction Thread in the FF resource area, and one here?

5. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    A thread for RPF-FF would probably be a good idea. I think the more regular fanfic writers and readers may be more interested in reading about stuff that are more...centric to the actual Star Wars characters rather then the ones that are made up for an RP here and there anyway :p Least that's how I see it though there may be people that would actually like to read about fics dealing with the RPF to see what kind of crazy things we do to the galaxy. But having a separate category may help with giving some organization.

6. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    This thread can serve to be the FF/RPF landing.... or we can make a new one. I'm supportive of it either which way. And I have a RPF/FF thread in the secret Fanfic Mod board where I correspond with the FF Mods. We're starting to put together the second FF-RPF contest. It seems, initially, that the NSWFF mods are very enthusiastic about it.

One of yous who wants to spearhead this project should contact the FF Mods and ask them if you could make a "reaching out" thread in either Fanfic Resource or NonSW Fanfic Resource. Then take it from there. Maybe post the links up here and you alls can go in and talk with them. They could be a great asset to us, if they could be turned.

Let the FF Mods know that the rank and file RPers are interested in reaching out, that its not just a project driven at the elite level. I will work with you guys behind the scenes, and we'll see what we can do to bridge the gap.

-I_H

7. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Update - we've got permish to post a RPF thread over at FF Resource. :D So I'm guessing Blu will have it up soon!

8. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    Gimme a week.

Just caught this:

They could be a great asset to us, if they could be turned.

Why does everything have to be a plot with you, Imp?[face_laugh]

-B-

9. Yuul_Shamar

Yuul_Shamar Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2004
    They could be a great asset to us, if they could be turned.

Right away sir! All Hail the Emperor!

lol j/k

10. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007

Really? Actually with the mini-sequel coming up and everything . . . what was it about? Can I read it? Is Kira in it? For I think we haven´t seen the last of her . . .

Talking of which . . .

I was lately asked to revisit an old character of mine. I did a few short pieces to find myself back into her. Basically making up her life between my last game and my next. Probably I could post them into this new thread you talked about. :) To get some content into it. ;)

11. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    No, if you are talking about the RPF/FanFic thread. Stories will not be posted in there, but you could go ahead and post your story and when the thread is open, I will do a list of RPFer's FanFic works.[face_peace]

I do not know now if I will allow RPFers to post small descriptions about their stories though. Much deliberation with Xan is in the future.[face_thinking]

Actually, if my fellow RPers would not mind PMing me links to their stories, I will begin with that.

-B-

12. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    Ah, I see. Sorry. I misunderstood the concept.

Short discriptions would make sense, wouldn´t they? What sense would make the links otherwise? I will most likely search for the stories connceted to my games, would I?

13. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Well, what's commonly done in fanfic is to fill in this form:

Title:
    Author(s):
    Timeframe:
    Characters:
    Genre:
    Keywords:
    Summary:
    Notes:

The impression I get is authors can decide not to fill in all the fields, or add a couple of new ones, but usually that's the one.

14. bad_feeling_haver

bad_feeling_haver Jedi Master star 1

Oct 5, 2008
    I just wanted to say I love this idea and support this very much, because I did fanfiction for years before I did RPG, and I still approach RPing from a character-driven, fanfiction-kind-of place. I can't wait for that thread to go up! I will help if I can do anything, n00b that I am, but i haven't written any fanfiction in the Star Wars fandom yet.

15. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    That is the kind of optimism I like to see.

I have a couple more things on my plate, some stuff in the EUC and all the RPGs here, but will have this up by Wednesday. I have a match on Tuesday.:-B

-B-

16. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    So, I just did it. Nothing else to do at the office :p

I have put some VERY RP related stories up in the fanfic. Whenever the thread comes up I´ll link them. They had been sitting around long enough on my harddrive.

A GM actually said I should post them as a prologue to an upcoming game. I am quite sure the GM doesn´t know this thread exists, but obviously there are links between FanFic and this RP. We just need to exploit them.

Oh yeah, for those interested, they are here ;)

17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    129 ABY - The End of Betrayals - the fanfiction covering the end of the 128 ABY RPGs, will also be up in the coming weak. I intend to have a scene written from the perspective of as many characters as I can feasibly include.

Anaxes had twelve PoVs unto itself, which has taken forever. I intend to PM everyone I've 'tagged' once it's up. [face_peace]

So I'll be sending about forty PM's out. :p

18. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Finished at last!

34,798 words. :cool:

Just having my beta-readers go through it. It'll be up before February begins, never fear. :D

New running title, however...

129 ABY ? Aftermath, Endgame and Apocalypse

19. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Sinre, your word count makes me feel like such a slacker. :p I'm working on a fic as well - a prequel of sorts to Dark History, about what my character was up to right before the game started, and it's barely 10,000 words. Just gotta sit down and write ... :oops:

20. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    Sinre! I had an appointment with Fin to chat a little on the phone! :_|

Claire: Hey Fin.
    Fin: Hey Claire. Not a good moment, right now.
    Claire: Why?
    Fin: Need to read something.
    Claire: Yes, what? Work stuff? I can call later . . .
    Fin: Let´s talk tomorrow. (and he hangs up)

I wondered and send an SMS: What is it you are reading?

SMS Answer: 129

Grrrrrrr! [face_frustrated]

21. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    Did a thread ever happen here?

-I_H

22. sprintabm

sprintabm Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2005
    I haven't seen one over in FF land.

23. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Sirak! So sorry!

Well, how about I offer you a little excerpt, shall I?

Natralik winced, his arm cut in the shot which had taken out his starboard s-foil, wind whistling past him. Trying to keep control of the shakes affecting his control, he took his fighter into the hangar of the Intruder, the flagship of the Third Fleet, which had taken an atmosphere position to support the fighters fighting there. The Battle of Roon had raged for a month, and he?d lost so many friends ? and his Jedi Master had just been reported dead, Sae Kya, under mysterious circumstances.

General Romar was incapacitated - he'd heard - and Aru?wn Bonadon had returned from the dead. Quin Vos and Kai had survived whatever had happened on Roon, but even they were tight-lipped about the horrors that Darth Atavus had put them through. His mind suddenly barked for attention as he lost control of his TwinTail, the vessel wing skidding and catching a shuttle, dumping the TwinTail on the hangar floor and sending it skidding, sending everyone running.

Natralik?s head lolled, the pain overwhelming, and he spied two Twi?lek techs in his path, about to die, and he gave up. Everything he did killed more people. Why continue fighting? He felt a caress on his cheek, recognised it as the touch of his Master, having a habit of touching Natralik?s cheek to refocus him, something he always failed to anticipate, thus learning his lesson ? at the time anyway.

Time to go ? but it?s up to you how you go.

The Padawan understood. Sure, he was going to die ? his re-entry was too fast, too dangerous, and his wound had taken a lot of blood from him. With an effort, he reached forward and tapped the repulsorlifts ? for a second ? the TwinTail bounced, over the two techs, and crashed to the ground, smashing into the far wall and exploding. The shrapnel, impossibly, was contained by a bubble of the Force, the last exhale of a Padawan that had finally become a Jedi Knight.

24. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    Ok, and now I am teased, too! :_|

You really did all of them, did you? Incredible. I wonder how you treated Kira, for I have plans for her. :)

So, I updated my Fanfic. thanks to sprintabm I found an old story of mine. I thought something a little brighter might be nice. :p

25. sword_of_raditz

sword_of_raditz Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 2, 2005
    I was unaware this was some kind of meeting of seperate nations. We're on an internet wesbite. How about instead of planning this merge like we're two seperate races of peoples, we let people who like fanfics post in the fanfic forum and people who like roleplaying post in the roleplaying forum. And, although I'm sure this is some sort of a taboo, if a Capulet-Montague relationship occurs and someone wants to use a different board on the same website, we let them do so without making it some kind of foreign exchange student program. We don't need to combine anything because there's nothing to combine. What, are we trying to roll out the red carpet for them or something because none of them are willing to post in a different section unless a little flattery is going on?

To make this post less confrontational: I love you and dream about your naked body, Hammer.

St. Edit: Nice defusing, but your choice of metaphors leaves much to be desired in this one instance. That expression might not be spelled the same as the words in the TOS it refers to, but let's not have that kind of thing on a PG board, please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.