The Rule of 2

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DarthBellikose, May 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thurkon: How cool would it be to NOT know how many potential dark Jedi are out there, working for what was thought to be an extinct Sith order? There could be traitors everywhere. But instead...nope, only two. What's more...there's a Rule of Two. Can't be more than two ever. What's MORE...the Jedi know there's only two.

It would be exciting, but it would defeat the purpose. I thought the Chosen One was supposed to bring balance to the Force, and I've always thought that evil is much more focused (and stronger) than (some) good - hence two Sith to weigh ten thousand Jedi. Then there's also the sematics of how ten thousand Sith will stay hidden. It was hard enough with two Sith.

Then, the thid reason is that (IMHO) Sith Lords want power, and I would say that would lead to bloody civil wars within their Order - so all the Jedi need to do is sit back and let the Sith take care of themselves.

Aunecah
  2. DarthBellikose Force Ghost

star 1
    So if you're a Jedi on the outer core worlds or a 'back water' planet and something happens that makes you angry or evil. Do you say..'Opps, I cant fall to the dark side because there's already two of them' ???
  3. Thurkon Jedi Knight

lorn-zahl:

Plus if there were a bunch of Sith running around they would be killing each other while the Jedi would be taking them out like fish in a barrel. The Sith owe it all to the rule of 2.

Why wouldn't the Sith concentrate on killing the Jedi first? Wouldn't that make more sense...destroy their enemy first and then who cares if they kill each other?

Compare the Sith to the mafia...a kind of futuristic, mystical mafia. The mafia have the same problems...greed, envy, hatred, ambition. They bump each other off all the time. Yet, they still thrive. Would it make sense for the mafia to limit themselves to, say, two guys to protect themselves? Wouldn't that make their operation much less effective?

Furthermore, how would limiting it to two be any different? Say Sidious and Maul co-existed as Sith buddies for decades, carrying out their Sith things. Would Maul never mature to the point of wanting to be master? Would he never want more power? He probably would at some point, like Vader does in ESB. So how does the Rule of Two really protect anyone?

First_Stage_Lensman:

If you'd seen your entire culture wiped out by infighting wouldn't you try to do something to rectify it?

Sure I would, and I would want that culture to rebound and thrive in that protection. But that protection would not entail limiting that culture to two people. Not much of a culture. Two isn't a whole lot more than zero.

Furthermore, if the Sith were so ambitious and out of control that they wiped each other out...why is a simple unspoken Rule suddenly keeping everything in check? Why not then make a Rule of Not Wiping Each Other Out?

DarthBellikose:

So if you're a Jedi on the outer core worlds or a 'back water' planet and something happens that makes you angry or evil. Do you say..'Opps, I cant fall to the dark side because there's already two of them' ???

Exactly, if the Sith are the dark jedi (I'm assuming that one is the same as the other), then that makes the dark side temptation so much less interesting.

Luke was always tempted by the dark side. It made his character development so intriguing. The dark side was a constant threat to his development. You see it in Anakin, as well. Yet, what happens if there are already two Sith and a jedi turns?

Can there be a dark jedi who isn't a Sith? This isn't really clear...and the Rule of Two adds needless confusion.
  4. MeBeJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    "Furthermore, if the Sith were so ambitious and out of control that they wiped each other out...why is a simple unspoken Rule suddenly keeping everything in check? Why not then make a Rule of Not Wiping Each Other Out?"

Thurkon, that's probably the best post I've seen you write yet! [face_laugh]

"Can there be a dark jedi who isn't a Sith? This isn't really clear...and the Rule of Two adds needless confusion."

Agreed. I guess that's why Lucas didn't use Dark Jedi ;) (Though I do see the point being made here.)

Here's some possibilities that could have taken place.

Those who knowingly help the Sith, a la the "familiars" in Blade. They know what's going down, but do not have Force powers of their own.

Those who unknowingly help the Sith, a la The Usual Suspects (all the secondary characters - "I know a guy who worked for him.") The Jedi have certainly been made to fall into this category.

Thus, it is not simply "2 Sith" who take over the galaxy, but the legions of followers, who assist intentionally or otherwise.
  5. Iron_Fist Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Right. Firstly, the Sith had been ammassing power to defeat the Jedi thousands of years before the events of Star Wars. However, due to the dark side running through their veins, they became aggressive towards each other and wiped themselves out. After this tragedy, there was one Sith Lord left: Darth Bane. He decreed that from then on, there would be two, and only two Sith, who would patiently wait for their chance to destroy the Jedi. The Sith are very patient, and they waited nearly a millennium to puttheir plans into action, which succeeded, putting the Emperor in power. Darth Bane wanted to avoid the tragedy of the Sith Order self-destructing, and this meant there being only 2 Sith: master and apprentice. When the master die, the apprentice took his spot, and found a new apprentice, and so on.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.