main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends -The Sad Ghost- RE: The May Ben Skywalker Challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Meredith_Kenobi, May 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meredith_Kenobi

Meredith_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    The May Ben Skywalker Challenge:
    Ben has to have traveled to a time either in Before the Sage or during the Saga.
    This is the list of words that must be included:
    esculent
    truncated
    askance

?But I don?t want to move.?

?Well it?s not really up to you, is it?? Luke said gently, piling another box in the back of their air speeder. ?Hand me that box, please.?

Ben sulkily scooted a box marked in permanent marker by Mara: ?special occasion dishes. FRAGILE! BE CAREFUL!!! THIS SIDE UP!? over to his father. ?Why do we have to move? I like this apartment.?

Luke sighed, placing the box on top of the other one. ?Ben, we?ve been over this. Our apartment is getting too small now. We simply need more space.?

?But how can an apartment get smaller??

Luke grinned and looked up at the sky. The innocence of a child?s mind never failed to amaze him. ?The apartment didn?t get smaller. Our family got bigger.?

?Our family?s no bigger than it was a year ago, and we didn?t have to move then. It?s just you, Mum, and me. See? No bigger.?

?Ben, please.?

Ben knew that tone of voice. He kept his mouth shut, but folded his arms and frowned at the ground, fighting the urge to stomp his foot. He didn?t want to move to another apartment. He liked his old room. He knew their old apartment. Another apartment just wouldn?t be the same.

?All, right, that?s the last of it.? Luke said, putting one last box in the back of the air speeder, and shut the door.

Ben peered in. ?There?s no room for me now.? He brightened. ?Does that mean I can sit in the front??

Luke smiled at his five-year old son. ?Yep.?

?Yippee! Thanks Dad.? Ben skipped to the front passenger seat and threw the door open and hopped in. ?C?mon, lets go!? He slammed his door shut again.

Luke sat in the driver?s seat. ?Crash webbing, Ben.?

?Oh yeah.? Ben buckled up. ?You?re gonna drive fast, right? I like it when you go fast.?

Luke started up the speeder. ?I?m going to go the speed limit, if that?s what you mean.?

?Aw, man! You?re no fun.? Ben stared out the window for a minute. ?Can we at least turn on the radio??

Luke looked at him askance. ?The radio? What could you possibly want to listen to on the radio??

?There?s this one station?Uncle Han always listens to it. But, oh?he told me not to tell you.?

Luke raised a skeptical eyebrow, and reached over to turn on the radio. That didn?t sound good. This needed some looking into. ?What frequency??

?333.9?

Luke tuned the radio and?.his jaw dropped. ?Han likes classical music??

?Yep. He says, ?it?s the only kind of food that?s not esculent: brain food?.?

?Esculent? Han said esculent??

?Yep.? Ben began to dance like he was listening to music that was somewhat more upbeat. ?I love it.?

Luke tried not to laugh. Mara was going to love this? ?Here we are.?

Ben sighed. ?Oh yeah. I almost forgot. We?re moving.?

?Actually, you?re wrong.? Luke said, parking the air speeder.

Ben stared at him.

?We?ve already moved.?

Ben continued to stare at him.

Luke laughed. ?Never mind.? That was another thing about children that never ceased to amaze him ? they don?t understand the same humor as adults.

Luke piled three of the heavy boxes in his arms. ?Get a box, would you, Ben??

Ben grinned and reached for the ?special occasion dishes?.

?No son, not that one.?

Ben groaned and grabbed a box labeled, ?Tacky and fairly useless knickknacks which I abhor?, again marked by Mara.

When they reached their apartment, room number 295, Ben?s arms had begun to ache from carrying the box of knickknacks. ?Our other apartment was closer.?

?Um, Ben? A few seconds closer. We?re only a few levels higher, and with the lift, that?s only a few seconds taken from your life.? Luke keyed the door.

?A few seconds I could have spent eating, or, or playing, or??

Luke sighed. If Ben was this stubborn and obstinate at only five, what would he be like in ten years?

?Luke, is

2. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Ooooh, I like this! Creepy and surreal, almost like a Twilight Zone episode!

And I love Ben with his parents, and the boxes that Mara had marked cracked me up.

Great piece! :D

3. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Wow that was awesome. I agree that it's like a Twilight Zone episode. However, you might wanna check for earthisms since crash webbing replaces seat belts in teh GFFA.

4. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    I have to agree with those above--very Twilight Zone-ish. =D=

Amazing work and very enjoyable.

5. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Exactly like a Twilight Zone episode! Nicely done. Loved how Ben kept asking why they had to move and his logic at ?Our family?s no bigger than it was a year ago, and we didn?t have to move then. It?s just you, Mum, and me. See? No bigger.?

Superb viggie. :D

6. fordefan327

fordefan327 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 5, 2006
    oh, that was absolutely beautiful! wonderful job!

7. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    LOVED it! Very different and creepy! Just my kind of story! ;)

Ben groaned and grabbed a box labeled, ?Tacky and fairly useless knickknacks which I abhor?, again marked by Mara.

Oddly enough, I've marked boxes with similar words during some of our many moves. [face_laugh]

8. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Meredith that was wonderful! I loved how you did the time travel part, it is really hard to do this challenge as a vignette and you nailed it!

"Ben groaned and grabbed a box labeled, ?Tacky and fairly useless knickknacks which I abhor?, again marked by Mara. " [face_laugh]

That is sooooo Mara! Well done! =D=

9. Blue_Milkshake

Blue_Milkshake Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 18, 2005
    Oooh, I really liked this. All the pieces just fit together so nicely. And such a nice balance of humor and creepiness.

10. Meredith_Kenobi

Meredith_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    ginchy: [face_laugh] imagine that, since I've never even seen Twilight Zone! That was before my time. Thanks, ginchy! :)

SilSolo: [:D] Thanks! :oops: And you're absolutely right 'bout the seatbelts. Thank you for pointing that out

JediMaster_Jen: I'm glad it was enjoyable [face_batting] :p Thankee!

Healer_Leona: thanks for your superb review ;)

fordefan327 :D Thanks very much!

VaderLVR64: I'm so glad you liked it [face_dancing] ([face_laugh] That just sounded like a very Mara-ish thing to do, to me)

Jade_Pilot: THANK YOU! ! ! [:D]

Blue_Milkshake: :D Yay! Thank ya' kindly!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.