main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~The Saga Essay Contest~ We have a winner!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Spike_Spiegel, Oct 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    Dash-Spiegel Productions presents:

The Saga Essay Contest

Welcome to the Saga Essay Contest. In an effort to promote research and the discussion of the Star Wars Saga, the JC's Saga Forum is sponsoring an essay competition.

General Guidelines
    • Essays should be at least 600 words long, but no longer than 2500 words, excluding endnotes, footnotes and works cited list.

• Judges will evaluate a submission on its clarity, rigor, and eloquence. They should be serious in content, tone, and style.

• Papers can have footnotes, endnotes and/or a works cited list. It will be required to cite sources in some way. Writers are strongly encouraged to use either MLA or APA style but it is not required.

• Entries should be submitted by email to sagaessaycontest@hotmail.com. Entries should be embedded in the email and not sent as an attachment.

• Judging will be in charge of a team of moderators. This team will be composed of DamonD, NaboosPrincess, surlygirlie, Mr44, and Spike_Spiegel.

• **Important**: Plagarism WILL NOT be tolerated. Any essay with anything that is plagarized will be disqualified.

• Deadline for submissions will be November 28

Topics

Participants may choose from any of these topics:

Discuss the impact Star Wars has had on our global society and culture. Or, you may choose to discuss one particular country and culture. Essays may focus on aspects of popular culture or a professional industry.

Discuss how the Star Wars saga has changed and evolved over the years. Does it have a different "feel" to it now then in the 1970s? You may need to do some research. Personal interviews with older Star Wars fans are acceptable, but you are encouraged to use other resources (news articles, books, etc) as well.

How does the Empire compare to the Republic? Is the Empire really all that evil? Use examples from the Saga and other resources to validate your position.

Judging

Essays sent to the contests email address will be recieved by Mr. Dashy. He will then randomly assign each essay a number and distribute them to the judges. The team of judge moderators will award anywere between 1 point (bad) to 5 points (excellent) to each essay in each of the following six following categories for a maximum of 30 points per judge. After deliberation, the final score will be calculated. After this process, Dashy will release the who's who and the winners will be announced.

Here are the categories:

• Technical skill: Does the essay have correct grammar, spelling and word usage.

• Thesis Statement: Does the essay present a clear and well defined thesis statement?

• Argumentation: Are the arguments clear, logical, well presented and/or well defended.

• Knowledge of subject: Is the author well-informed? Are there any blatant errors?

• Research:Did the author do enough research for his topic? Is it logical and well presented?

• Overall essay quality: Was it enjoyable to read? Did it provoke thought?

The essay with the most total points wins.

Prizes

3rd Place Your essay will be published in the main The Force Net page and will be discussed in a thread at the Saga Forum.

2rd Place Your essay will be published in the main The Force Net page and will be discussed in a thread at the Saga Forum. Author will recieve a title and VIPship for 4 days.

1rd Place Your essay will be published in the main The Force Net page and will be discussed a in thread at the Saga Forum. Author will recieve a title and VIPship for a week.

~We wish to thank the following people for the planning and the develpment of this contest~
    <br>
    <a href="/user.

2. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Oh hells yes, this has my name written all over it. :p

Good thing Ousley has a life now. ;)

3. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    This sounds like another good contest. This has caught my attention."

4. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    "from the Saga and other resources "

Would that be EU, things Lucas has said, old scripts, or what?

5. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    Any, as long as you state the source.

6. lightsaber_wielder

lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2002
    This contest is an excellent idea! :D It's nice to see attempts being made to establish serious discussions on the Star Wars saga.

If, as you say, we can use Expanded Universe material, then this should be very fun indeed! I think I'll work on the Republic vs. Empire one, as the films and EU combined should offer a wealth of information for analysis.

Great idea, guys! :cool:

7. _dArTh_SoLo

_dArTh_SoLo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2002
    Make a critical analysis Essay Contest of the SAGA....then I will definately do it.

8. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    I think I might have a crack at this.

9. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I am still working on my essay.

Great idea Spike.
    I look forward to finishing mine.

-Seldon

10. Spike_Spiegel

Aug 12, 2002
    Please note that the deadline is fast approaching. Start sending your essays in before November 28

11. DBrennan3333

DBrennan3333 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    Hey, I sent in a submission a few days ago and I haven't gotten any sort of confirmation that it was received. So if you guys could please let us know that you've gotten our submissions and that they're appropriately formatted, that would kind of clear up uncertainty. At least MY uncertainty.

Also, when will the winners be announced?

Thanks.

12. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Sunday is crawling up quickly. I'm going to have to finish mine really soon.

-Seldon

13. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Sorry for the double post.
    I sent my essay to the email provided. I really wish I had managed my time more. I have been going insane over college applications and everything else and just did not spend enough time on this. I wish I could have developed mine a bit more.

Is the VIP status still going to be allowed even with MS and the new rules being enforced?

Well it was good to write,
    -Seldon

14. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I'm finishing mine as soon as I wake up tomorrow. My mind's drawing a blank. Kind of like when I had to a college paper a few hours before it was due. Oh those were the days. It will be ready for host's overview early morning.

15. Spike_Spiegel

Aug 12, 2002
    Winners should be announced in a couple of weeks.

I'll ask Dashy to confirm reciept of the essays, since he's in change of handing the email.

Thanks to all that have or will participate.

Remember, you still have time until tonight (28) midnight board time to send 'em in!

Good luck to all and May the Force be With You!

-Pete

16. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    I was wondering how many people submitted essays.

-Seldon

17. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I'm out, I can't get back into Microsoft Word. Yesterday something screwy happened and I can't modify it. Stupid MS Word. Wordpad and Notepad can't decode it either. Well I tried. Have fun. Hopefully enough participants entered the contest to have a contest. Maybe next time.

18. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Sorry to hear that Moleman1138. I hate when computers go psycho. They always tend to act up at the worst times.

-Seldon

19. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    Gutted that I missed this...

20. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Yeah, mir auch. I had been anticipating entering this with some serious scholarship... But DRL strikes back. :(

Can't wait to read the winners!

*Derisa*

21. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    I don't know if anyone is going to contact me over email again. I don't expect to win the contest, however my email has changed.

So it might be easier to contact me over PM.

-Seldon

22. DBrennan3333

DBrennan3333 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    Have the winners been announced yet? If so, where are they, if not is there a timetable on the results?

Thanks!

23. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    I don't believe the winners have been announced yet.

-Seldon

24. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Are there any results from the contest?
    It seems that this thread became unsticky, so I thought it would be good to up it anyway.

-Seldon

25. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Hopefully another round will show itself with different topics soon hereafter. Even though I'm out, I still await the results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.