main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Awards The Saga Excerpt Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by SagaFanficAwards, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SagaFanficAwards

SagaFanficAwards Saga FanFic Awards Sock star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 2, 2006
    Welcome to the 2006 Saga SFFA Excerpt thread!

The following posts are filled with bits and pieces of what you all have decided to be the cream of the crop Saga has offered since December. You'll note at the bottom of some of the posts "TBC", this means that there are more excerpts from this category in the post below. Place markers are at the top of each post. They are color-coded with a rotating set of headers; thus, you can remember that the last category you read was black and yellow in color and when you scroll down through the page it will be easy to catch.

So sit back, relax, and enjoy the excerpts!

And since the voting round starts on July 29th, a few reminders:

VOTING PROCESS:

1) Select which of the fics from the qualifying list you would like to vote for.

2) Send in your votes in ONE PM.

3) You may use the template above for your votes, but it is not necessary since we don't need the links to the stories at this point.

4) You will NOT receive a confirmation PM regarding your votes. If you do not receive a PM from the awards sock within 24 hours of your PM being read, then you did everything correctly.

VOTING RULES:

1. You must register prior to voting, so that we ensure that you are not a sock. Registration will be open through the voting period.

2. No voting with a sock. Voting with a sock WILL result in a short-term ban and none of your votes will be allowed.

3. You may vote only once in each era, in one PM as stated earlier. If you send your votes in multiple PMs, they will not be counted. The only exception will be on a case-by-case basis, per information given to you by THIS SOCK only.

4. Voting is open from July 29 at 12:01 AM board time until August 7 11:59 PM board time. Late votes will not be counted at all--no exceptions. Early votes will be returned and you will be expected to send your vote in again under the correct timeline. No exceptions. See rule 7 if you will not be available during the voting period.

5. PM the Saga Fanfic Awards Sock sock with your vote. Votes sent elsewhere will not be counted.

6. Only fics on the Qualifying List are eligible for votes. Votes for other fics will not be counted.

7. If you will not be available or internet-accessible during the voting time period, arrange with the host, BigFatty, for absentee voting. This must be arranged ahead of time, before the nomination period ends. Those needing an absentee ballot will follow all of the voting rules.

8. You cannot vote for yourself. Votes for yourself will not be counted.

And in case your forgot who qualified:

Genre
    Best Alternate Universe

A Path of Your Own Choosing by RedGold
    Betrayal by dianethx
    For Such Time As This by Master_Noi
    The Price of Courage by obi_ew
    To Cast Away Stones by DarthIshtar
    In the Shadow of the Sith by Irisheyedjedi
    Never a Master by Luna_Nightshade

Best Canon

An Unlikely Correspondence by Exeter
    Ill Met in Anchorhead by Caledre
    The

2. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best AU

Betrayal by dianethx

Looking down, he stared unseeing at the splotches of red-brown, little patches of despair scattered over his tunic. Jedi cloth stained in dried gore. He was wrapped in it, Jedi duty and disaster, filthy and torn - once a proud symbol of who he was. Now it was only reflected what he had become and what he had always been - rubbish to be discarded when their use of him was done.

Even his saber, clutched so tightly in his hand, was dark with dirt and neglect. Growling in disgust, he shoved it into the pocket of his leggings and tried not to think of the Council's betrayal.

But he could not let it go. He teetered between fury and grief; his heart was pounding out the seconds.... hurry.... hurry... as the moment to save Qui-Gon began to slip through his fingers.

Obi-Wan turned away, punching again at the control panel. It was all he could do to keep himself from tearing into the wiring and over-riding the safety protocols. Anything to speed it up. He began to think that freefall would not be fast enough, not if he was too late. Frustrated, he all but snarled, "Why is it taking so long?"

The turbolift seemed to groan in reply. But Atel didn't flinch at the sound, didn't seem to notice. Standing next to him, she asked carefully, "Master, where are we going?"

Scowling at the controls, he watched helplessly as the readout slowly counted down towards his destination but it was easier than looking at her condemnation. He tried to sound calm but the terror of what had happened, of what was happening now, leached through. "To rescue Qui-Gon. Before that monster finishes what she started." A fierce, half-whisper caught in his throat. "Don't you dare die on me."

Troubled astonishment colored her voice. "Rescue? Monster? Does the Council know of this?"

He twisted abruptly, glaring down into Atel's worried eyes. "Council... that sea of rshhak filth." Even now, he could not begin to comprehend how much they had betrayed him and Qui-Gon. Years of being used - he felt as if he had never been so dirty, so violated in the purity of his service to the Order. How could they do this? How could they?

Atel shrunk away, looking as if he had struck her. Then, stepping forward, her mouth grim with determination, she began to make excuses. "Master, what are you saying? They were mistaken about punishing you but they were only trying to do..."

Grabbing onto his arm as she spoke, she was jostling him a little with each word but he roughly shook her off. Staring at her, hoarse with disbelief, he spat back, "Naive little fool. Your so-called honorable Jedi Council has manipulated us into this. For power, using everyone around them for their own ends."

"Master, stop it." She was very firm.

"Don't you understand? Those slimy obscenities have used him, have used me like bloody meat dangling in their trap. And Qui-Gon is going to pay..."

The frown on her young face deepened with each word. "Trap? But Master Tharten said..."

He stopped breathing then. His body knew even before his mind had caught up to the sheer enormity of it. She had talked to that demon from Ryloth's seventh hell. She had talked to Tharten. It must have been after he had been thrown into that torture chamber for there had been no time before that. Last night, she had consorted with the enemy - while he was in hell. And his fury at the Council and Tharten and the very Jedi Order itself turned on her.

With a voice as deep and as cold as the space between galaxies, he snarled, "What did she say, Atel? Have you and she... have you been spying on me, too? Telling her what you know? Have you?" All the while, he kept moving towards her, his hands outstretched, fingers curled like rancor claws.

Atel stepped back quickly, shaking her head in sharp denial. "Spying? I would never..."

There must have been something in his face. She blanched, almost radiating apprehension, and recoiled th

3. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best AU cont'd

A Path of Your Own Choosing by RedGold

Solo?s brow wrinkled in thought, then his lips parted into a lop-sided grin and he let out a laugh. ?One of those ?force? users, huh??

Leia was slightly taken aback. ?You don?t believe in the Force, do you??

?Sister, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny.? Solo seemed confident at his words, but the knowing smile that formed on Leia?s lips looked to unnerve him a little. ?It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.?

Leia glanced around for something to levitate. She would show him a simple trick.

An alarm rang out in the back of her mind and on instinct she reacted to it. She launched herself at Solo, pushing him back just as a cable snapped down from the ceiling right where he had been standing. Solo stumbled and fell back into his chair, Leia falling into his lap. They both looked up at the thick dangling cable.

They looked at each other.

?I call it luck,? he said, his face barely inches from hers.

?In my experience, there's no such thing as luck.?

The console started to buzz beside them. Solo gently pushed Leia off of him and stood. ?Looks like we're coming up on Alderaan.?

?Shouldn?t you fix that?? Wedge pointed to the cable.

?It doesn?t do anything. Just haven?t been bothered to remove it.?

?Oh, that?s comforting,? Winter rolled her eyes.

The group made their way to the cockpit. Wedge took the seat behind Solo again. Leia elected to stand and let Winter sit down behind the Wookie.

?Stand by, Chewie, here we go. Cut in the sublight engines.? Solo pulled back on a control lever and the star lines fell back into specks as they came out of hyperspace. A thousand small asteroids assaulted the ship. ?What the...? Aw, we've come out of hyperspace into a meteor shower. Some kind of asteroid collision. It's not on any of the charts.?

?What's going on?? Leia had a very bad feeling about this.

?Our position is correct, except...? Solo worked at the controls, double checking whatever he was looking at, ?no Alderaan.?

Leia looked down to a horrified Winter.

?What do you mean? Where is it?? Wedge said next to them.

?Thats what I'm trying to tell you, kid,? Solo said abruptly. ?It ain't there. It's been totally blown away.?

?My home?? Winter barely whispered, her face going as pale as her white hair. ?How? Why??

Leia wrapped her arms around her friend and she could have screamed at Solo for being so insensitive. She glanced up to see the Corellian looking at Winter, an expression of regret and guilt on his face. Leia chastised herself for being so angry at the man. How could he have known that Alderaan was Winter?s home planet? Solo turned back to the controls, but not after their eyes briefly met in understanding.

?Destroyed,? Leia said, remembering the very reason they were going to Alderaan in the first place. ?Destroyed by the Empire.?

?The entire starfleet couldn't destroy the whole planet. It'd take a thousand ships with more firepower than I've?? an alarm interrupted Solo. ?There's another ship coming in.?

?What kind of ship?? Wedge asked, glancing worriedly at Leia.

?It's an Imperial TIE Fighter.? Solo replied.

?Did it follow us?? Leia feared that maybe that was why Alderaan was targeted. Was it because that was where they were going?

Wedge shook his head. ?No. That's a short range fighter.?

?There aren't any bases around here.? Solo rolled the ship to the side as the fighter swooped over them.

?You?re right.? Wedge nodded. ?A fighter that size couldn't get this deep into space on its own. There has to be some bigger ships around here to base it. If they identify us, we're in big trouble.?

?Not if I can help it. Chewie, jam

4. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best Canon

The Hero With Not Too Many Fears by Yodan

This story was inspired by a quote from the ROTS novel: younglings knowing about Anakin and Obi-Wan like sports stars. My logic: the younglings must have play-acted them? Enjoy!

---

Macx Martinson is zooming through the air. He is Anakin Skywalker, superhero, with tights and all. There is evil on Alderaan, and it is his job as a Jedi superhero to get rid of it.

The HoloNet is always talking about the big robot arms of the Con-Fed-Er-Is-C, but this time is different. Instead of a billion trillion robots on the ground, there is one super-robomonster a billion trillion zillion times bigger then the average droid. It is huge, and only the super-Jedi can handle this.

It would be better if Obi-Wan was here with them, Macx, thought. But his best friend Manni was at some stupid thing with his stupid sister. So it was just him, alone against the massive robomonster of doom.

It was a good thing Anakin?s the fighter and not the talker, Macx decides, because if he had to be Obi-Wan, he would just end up talking the robomonster to death.

So Anakin is flying off over the mountains of Alderaan, cape flapping in the wind, and he approaches the giant robot.

?Surrender. Or. Be. Destroyed. Human,? the massively evil droid says in a voice that sounds like his dad in the morning.

?Nuh uh! I?ll blow you up if you don?t get out of here!?

?Fear. Me.?

?I am the hero with no fear! You should fear me!?

?You. Are. Small.?

?Am not!?

?Are. Too.?

?Am not!?

?Are. Too.?

?OK, I am kicking your butt now.?

With that Anakin flies up to the robomonster?s head, ignites his glowstick-turned-lightsaber and jabs it in the evil thing?s nose. That makes the robomonster really mad; its nose is a super important place for robomonsters, because that?s where they keep their candy stored. And a robomonster is nothing without candy.

The evil machine pulls its arm back for a megapunch at the flying hero when he is interrupted by a girly voice that makes his ear hurt.

?Hi, Macx. Whatcha doing?? Macx knows the voice. It belongs to his annoying neighbor, Salli. Not only is she annoying but, even worse, she is a girl.

?I was playing Jedi, saving the world from a giant super monster robot. I was just getting to the good part,? he says.

?That?s boring. Let?s play Senate. I want to be Padme Amidala.?

?Who??

?Padme Amidala! The one for Maboo!? She sees Macx?s blank looks and says, ?The one with the pretty dresses and fancy hair, she?s in the politics Holos my mom watches all the time.

?Yuck. Anakin Skywalker does not play with senators.?

?Uh-huh.?

?Nuh-uh.?

?Uh-huh.?

?Nuh-uh.?

?Uh-huh.? Salli says. She can keep this up forever and Macx knows the only way to get her to stop is to play with her. But he doesn?t want to be a stupid Senator. They wear strange clothes and act all funny. He has an idea.

?How about you be that Padme person, and I rescue you from the mega robomonster then I take you back to the Senate??

?That sounds all right I guess, as long as I get back to the Senate soon. They need me to vote on something and look pretty.?

?Erm... All right. OK, so the super evil robomonster?s got you in his hands and he?s about to put you up his nose where he keeps his candy.?

?Up his nose? Eeeeeww. I am not going up any nose!? She screws up her face in disgust.

?I know! I am here to rescue you. And it wouldn?t be gross up there - it?s a robomonster, they don?t have boogies.?

?It?s still gross!?

?OK, I won?t let the robomonster snort you up his nose. But I still need to fight it. I am Anakin Skywalker, after all.?

?Boys,? she said with some annoyance, causing him to give her a funny look.

?OK, remember you are in the evil robomonster?s clutches. I?m about to rescue you.?

?OK.?

Anakin is flying off over the mountains of Alderaan, cape flapping in the wind, and he approaches the giant ro

5. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best Canon cont'd

Captain and the Holostar by Lola64

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife. And for one Imperial officer there was only one woman it could be.

Soontir Fel stood near the refreshment table at the Imperial Ball watching the large group of men gather around the breathtaking blonde. She had attended several of these functions and each time had been bombarded with dance requests from potential suitors. This time maybe he?d get the nerve up to be one of them.

One of the Lieutenants in his group announced he was going over to her. The Captain followed the man until he disappeared into the gray suits huddled at the edge of the dance floor. It was a good ten minutes later that the fairly handsome man returned with a scowl on his face.

?No luck?? Another Lieutenant laughed.

Markin, the unsuccessful Lieutenant, picked up another glass of punch and removing the flask from his pocket added a bit of enhancers before downing his drink. ?She?s got an empty dance card. No one is getting on it.?

Soontir thought that was odd. So he asked the lieutenant if he actually saw the dance card.

?Yes. It was hanging from her wrist. As she moved I got a good look at both sides. There wasn?t any marking on it.?

?Maybe that?s a spare card.? Another man, an eavesdropper said. ?I?m sure her first card was filled up the moment she arrived.?

It was possible. But the dancing had already begun and she was not yet on the dance floor. Surely the beauty would not dismiss the men already on the list, just to tease the others. When the second waltz began to play and she still hadn?t budged the Captain began to believe that it was true. She was denying his fellow Imperials a chance to dance with her.

This made Soontir quite angry. Putting down his drink he walked over towards the group. One of the men saw him and called for attention. The others all stood straight, stepping aside for their commander.

Looking stern Soontir approached the actress. ?It has come to my attention Miss Starflare that you are refusing a dance with the officers of the Empire.?

The actress turned her blue eyes towards him. To his credit Soontir Fel did not betray the quickening of his heartbeat or the strange feeling in his stomach as she did. He stood tall before her, as he waited for her response.

?That?s not true Captain.? She answered, her voice as melodic as in her holodramas.

?May I see your dance card please??

The actress reached down for the string wrapped around her wrist and slowly handed it to him. Her eyes never left him as he looked on both sides of it. Just as the lieutenant said there were no marks made on it.

?If it?s not true, where are the marks of the officers you will dance with this evening??

He held in a smile as her face looked innocently at the card and then back at him. ?Oh my.? She said sheepishly. ?I guess it does look that way, doesn?t it??

The actress lowered her head as she begged for forgiveness.

?There is no need. A harmless error can be quickly remedied by permitting your card to be marked by these fine officers.?

To his surprise the card was handed back to him. ?Would the Captain be kind enough to make the first mark, to absolve me for my slight??

All eyes on him, Soontir placed his mark on her card. Then he handed it to the officer on his right who in turn marked it before passing it along.

The music began to play again and the Captain bowed to the lady. ?Our dance.?

He took her hand and guided her to the dance floor where his right hand reached around her back, his left taking hers as the two began to twirl around the floor.

Soontir made all attempts to keep his eyes everywhere but at his partner for fear she would see his agitation. The gown she was wearing, a lovely blue silk, gave him a modest view of her front while the back, open down to h

6. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best Action

Betrayal by dianethx

"It is a golden opportunity for you, Obi-Wan. Join me. Learn about power, the pleasure of using it as it was meant to be." She sent him a brilliant smile.

"Never, I..."

She flung out one hand, sending a crashing wave of Force energy toward him, thrusting him aside. She began to scramble past. He grabbed onto her tunic and pulled her back.

She screeched. In an instant, her saber was swinging to meet his and then spiraling down to jab at his legs. He still had a fist-full of cloth; it was dragging her off-center but she wrested free.

What she had forgotten was that Qui-Gon was not dead. As her foot flashed past, he caught her boot and pulled. It was enough. She spun, collapsing into a pile of tunic and robes.

In a flash, Obi-Wan was there, but she scurried away, her eyes black with hate. Shrugging off her cloak, she scrambled up, slashing and growling. He backpedaled but she stabbed at him and the battle was on, hacking, jabbing, enemies locked in a duel that would have one outcome - death.

And, in that explosive moment, Atel pelted into the room.

"Master, stop..." His Padawan's voice was all shrilled desperation.

"Padawan, help him." He nodded to one side, indicating the form sprawled on the floor.

Atel was taking in Qui-Gon's pallid skin and the splattered blood, the rattle in his throat. Her shock reverberated in the Force, shadowy discord, a jumble of hesitation and loss. But it was her voice that tore his heart, "Master?"

"Help him," he repeated.

Tharten stepped back and lowered her saber, sending Obi-Wan a sly grin. It was clear that she thought Atel could not see her; Obi-Wan blocked her view. As her smirk grew into a smile, she gave him a wink and then cried, "Padawan, don't listen to him. Your Master is ill. I tried to stop Jinn from stabbing himself and Obi-Wan attacked me. I need help!"

Tharten began to move her blade, sweeping luminous cobalt light, creating patterns of beauty and death.

Escape was her goal, but he could not allow it. Justice must be served. It was the Jedi way and his.

He could feel Atel wavering. It hurt him - to think that she was trying to decide if he was insane or if Tharten was lying. She should have known the answer. What had gone so wrong that she couldn't trust him? But there was no time for remorse or recriminations.

There was only time to say, "Atel, please," and hope that she would understand.

The rustle of clothing, whisper of "Yes, Master" was all he needed. He could see her kneeling and speaking to Qui-Gon.

Laughing in triumph, Tharten swept her saber up, "She can't help him. He's bleeding to death. Even the Force is not enough. He is doomed and you with him."

Her blade became a ruinous band of light, jabbing toward him and he was on the defensive. He could feel the Force growing stronger even as the last effects of the cell tortures dissipated but he was tired. He needed to end this quickly.

He cut through Tharten's side. She screeched in pain but it was not debilitating, merely a superficial wound. She was after him with renewed vigor.

He did not have time to think about Atel. But as he slid past, he could see her leaning, her hand against his Master's forehead. She was concentrating; the frown seemed to bisect her skin.

He was gathering strength; pushing Tharten back and she gave way until they were against the far wall. The Force was moving, the shadowed, diseased flow from Tharten counterbalanced by his clean grounding in luminescence. Sinking into the currents, letting go of worry for Qui-Gon and whether the Jedi would survive, he flowed into the mysteries of that radiant energy. Dancing in the Light.

He was taken by surprise when the discordant ozone noise of a third lightsaber blade started humming loudly. Tharten looked past him, and she began to laugh, sending shivers up his back.

Glancing over his shoulder, he choked on th

7. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best Drama

For the Remainder of Your Natural Life by VaderLVR64

?Do you remember what I told you about the baby?? Obi-Wan prompted.

Anakin concentrated for a moment and then nodded. ?There were two, a boy and a girl,? he said. A proud smile transformed his face. ?I have a son and a daughter, Obi-Wan.?

Obi-Wan nodded and gave Anakin a smile in return. ?Yes, you do, Anakin,? he said. ?And I?d like to bring them to see you tomorrow if you?d like.?

Anakin?s expression grew shuttered and his eyes narrowed. ?Do they know about me? How I am?? There was deep shame in his voice.

?They know,? Obi-Wan said. ?And they love you.?

Once more turning toward the wall, Anakin seemed to shrink into himself. ?Only if it?s a good day??

?Yes, only if it?s a good day,? Obi-Wan assured him.

Anakin turned and suddenly the old light was in his eyes, he looked alert and aware. ?My plan worked, didn?t it??

?Yes, it worked.?

?I was dead,? he continued quietly. ?From a certain point of view, I was dead. I wanted her to go on with her life, but I knew she would wait for me.? Then he shuddered and a tear traced its way down his pale cheek. ?I just didn?t know she had so little life left.?

?We did everything we could to save her,? Obi-Wan said the words again. How many countless times had they had this conversation? How many more times would they have it? As many as it takes, he answered himself.

?I know,? Anakin said sadly. ?But my children are Jedi now, aren?t they??

?Yes,? Obi-Wan replied with a fond smile. He had brought them here to the Temple himself after Padmé died and with her family?s blessing. All they had asked is that they would have contact with the children, and that Luke and Leia would know about their family on Naboo ? and their mother.

Obi-Wan had trained Luke himself and Mace Windu had trained Leia, with Master Yoda looking on with cautious pride. Luke and Leia were both gifted and headstrong, a curious melding of their mother?s sweet spirit and their father?s stubborn strength. Yoda had retired a decade ago, content to instruct younglings or putter in his garden and had entrusted the Jedi Order to the wise leadership of Mace Windu. The Koran Jedi had proven to be a good leader, safely ushering the Jedi Order through a time of adjustment and growth. Mace?s poor health had caused him to step down from the head of the Council and Obi-Wan had just assumed the position two days ago. Leia was almost ready for knighthood, and Mace Windu had decided that she needed his attention more than the Council. Whatever energy he had, Mace told Yoda and Obi-Wan, he wanted to give to the last phase of Leia?s training. Obi-Wan was completing Luke?s training in addition to his new duties as head of the Council. Anakin?s children were almost knights in their own right and ready to serve the galaxy their father had saved.

?Do they really want to see me?? Anakin asked suspiciously, drawing Obi-Wan from his musings.

?Yes, they really do,? the older man said firmly. Anakin had seen his children many times, and each time they went through this discussion. The twins accepted their father?s condition and they loved him. They knew what he had done, the sacrifice he had made. Obi-Wan had made sure of it, even at the cost of breaking his word to Anakin Skywalker. Anakin would have his children?s love at least. ?I must go, Anakin,? he said regretfully. ?There are matters I must attend to.?

Disappointment flashed across Anakin?s face, but he nodded his acceptance. ?Thank you for coming, Obi-Wan.?

Reaching out to embrace him, Obi-Wan laughed softly. ?It is always my pleasure to see you, you know that, Padawan.?

A blush of childish pleasure pinkened Anakin?s lined face and he looked down shyly. ?Thank you,? he murmured.

Obi-Wan walked toward the door. ?Obi-Wan?? Anakin called out as the older man reached the door. Obi-Wan turned to face his form

8. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best Drama

Life Beyond the Code by bek

Author?s Note: Waking from a three year coma, Qui-Gon finds out that his apprentice has been Knighted and has taken on the promise he made to his dying mentor; however, the Council refused Anakin?s training causing Obi-Wan to make the decision to leave the Jedi Order to fulfill said promise and in the process discovering a life beyond the code. Learning that his former padawan had not been informed of his survival, Qui-Gon is determined to recover in order to find his apprentice. In this excerpt, Qui-Gon has taken his physical therapy into his own hands in an attempt to speed things up.

Qui-Gon entered the training salle that had served as his rehabilitation center since a few months after he first awoke. He was determined to speed-up his recovery, but in order to do so he would have to tend to his exercises more often than what the therapist was allowing. The first few months had been spent in just being able to sit up by himself without someone helping him to push himself up. When he had accomplished that task, the therapist came in to begin his training, first of which included strengthening his upper body.

He grasped hold of some weighted ankle bands and strapped them to his legs. He then lifted his leg as high as he could before lowering it as gently as possible and repeating. His arms had recovered quickly as he was constantly using them to lift himself from the bed to the chair and vice versa. Not to mention pulling himself up to the parallel bars. His upper body was as strong as it had been before the accident; it was his lower extremities that needed tending to now. And when he was up and about he would need to start on the next area, his cardiovascular system. He tended to become winded easily whereas before he could spar with his apprentice for hours and then on his own afterward before the toll of the workout finally caused him to need rest.

The sweat beading on his forehead as he strained against the weight on his ankle was annoying to say the least. He lay there momentarily before sitting up and lifting himself back into his hover chair. Moving over to the bag hanging in the center of the room, Qui-Gon stilled his movement while staring at the weighted sack. Taking both hands, he grasped hold of each side and held it. His mind was reliving the events of the past year. Waking up and finding out the child he had raised had left his home to fulfill a promise he should have never had to make, his body was out of control and wouldn?t do as he bid it, he was tired and scared though he would admit it to no one, and he was angry. Angry with himself for being too caught up in his need to protect his apprentice that he didn?t wait for him during the battle; thereby, leaving the boy to fight the sith alone. His anger was increasing in volume within him. He knew he should release it to the force but he didn?t want to. He wanted to feel his failures; he wanted to feel the heat that burned through his veins at the thought of the three and a half years that had been stolen from him due to the darkness that he had failed to kill. His hand struck out on its own accord, slamming into the sand filled bag sending it swinging. His other hand smacked hard on the tough outer covering as it swung back toward his way. One after the other knocked into the bag until he couldn?t hit it anymore. When he stopped, he held his head in shame at having lost control, something he would have chastised his apprentice for doing. Sadness crept past his barriers and seeped into his mind. Tilting his head to the side, his brow furrowed as he wondered where this unexpected grief had come from, as he knew that it wasn?t his. Before he could grasp it and follow it back to the source, it dissipated as if it had never been.

?Feel better do you?? The strange dialect caught his attention and he maneuvered his chair to face his unwanted gue

9. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best Romance

In The Shadow Of The Sith By IrishEyedJedi

"No, I don't know what you're talking about, because we've never talked about it!"

He growled, ?That is because there should be nothing to talk about! You don't understand."

"Oh, I think I understand," her voice betraying her. "My father was right! You're just a scoundrel who uses women!"

It was a low blow and the Princess knew it the moment it left her lips. The hurt in his eyes made her chest tighten. Here stood the man she thought to be her future and she was cutting him down like he was a spice smuggler. Immediately she looked away, his intense gaze causing her too much pain.

"You don't believe that." His voice sounded strangled.

Taking a deep breath she looked back at him. ?I?m sorry,? she mumbled before taking a step closer to him.

Fighting to keep her emotions in check she asked. "But what am I suppose to believe?"

?That . . . I . . .? He ran his hands through his hair, suddenly unsettled by her proximity. ?Do I need to say it,? the low timber of his voice was soothing.

Leia put her hands on his chest as she took another step closing the distance between them. ?Please,? she begged in a whisper. ?Say it just once and I?ll never question it again.?

?Leia, don't.? his voice horse.

?Don?t what?? she breathed as she moved her hands up to his neck. ?Do this.?

She reached up and pulled him into a heated kiss. At first he was resistant but soon they both melted into each other arms. The kiss started with intense power and feelings, each one wanted to explore and taste. The kiss slowed to a more emotional pace, where each touch of the lips caused shivers to go done their spines. Finally they parted out of sheer need for air.

Han kept his arms around her as he looked down, hiding his face for a moment.

"We can't do this," he panted, still trying to catch his breath.

Leia shook her head slightly. "Why?" It was a plea more than a question.

Han stepped back and took her hands in his. He let his thumbs begin to rub the back of her palms. "Because it's too dangerous and the thought of something ever happening to you, because of me . . . " his voice trailed off as he looked away.

"No one has to know," she said desperately as she could feel him slipping away from her.

His head dropped in a defeated manner and slowly he released her hands. Taking a few steps away from her he spoke. "I made a promise a long time ago to protect you."

Leia tried to control her anger at the implication she couldn't take care of herself. "I'm not a little girl any more, Han."

He turned to look at her. "I know that." Taking a small step back towards her. "But it's a risk I can't take," he paused and the regret in his voice broke her heart. "Not with you.?

She blinked, causing the tears she had been holding back to finally spill. Her voice left her as she tried to speak. "Don't you care about me?"

"Your Highness, the representatives from the Mining Guild are here." Winter?s voice brought them both crashing back to reality.

Quickly wiping her face with her fingers, the Princess cleared her throat and then pushed the button to the speaker box. "Give me a moment, Winter."

When she turned back Han had moved right beside her, the closeness caused her body temperature to rise again, her skin tingled with anticipation, hoping that maybe it would get the chance to feel what it was like to be held by the Senator again.

He cupped her face and gently brushed her lips, his features were sad and painful. "It's because I care for you that I have to do this."

Again they kissed, gently and sweetly. They had tasted each other and now they couldn?t get enough. Han wiped away her tears with his thumbs, still holding her face just inches from his own. ?Don?t cry, my Princess,? his voice strained. ?It won?t always be like this.?

?It won?t?? she whimpered, still fighting against the tears

10. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best Romance cont'd

The Ribbon by VA_Parky

The firelight was fading quickly, but it didn't matter to him.

For there was still enough light to see Padmé.

"I brought you something."

"Ani," she protested weakly. "I know it's the holiday season, but I thought we agreed - no gifts."

He frowned, knowing she had only made that suggestion to spare him any embarrassment.

"It's nothing much," he assured her. "In fact, it didn't cost me a single credit."

But to him, it was priceless.

He crossed the room and rummaged through his cloak until his hands closed over the package, wrapped sloppily in colored paper. A dull red ribbon decorated the top, the ends ragged and worn.

"Sorry," he apologized, his cheeks reddening slightly as he approached. "The Temple doesn't have too many gift wrapping supplies."

"I think it's lovely," she insisted.

She undid the ribbon and the paper beneath, taking care to leave both intact. A plain box was revealed and she studied it intensely.

"Go on," Anakin urged. "Open it."

She looked at him and raised an eyebrow. "Patience is obviously not a Jedi mandate in which you excel.?

He laughed ruefully, acknowledging the accuracy in her statement. Trying to spare him further torture, she eased the lid off and gasped in surprise.

"Ani!" she whispered. "I can't accept this. It's too... too important."

"Which is precisely why I want you to have it."

Handling it as if it was more precious than her finest jewelry, she took the Padawan braid from its resting place and cradled it in her hands. "I will treasure it always."

"I know you will," he assured her. "Perhaps one day..."

His voice trailed off, but she finished the thought, "We will show it to our children."

She returned the sandy-colored braid to the box and kissed him. "I don't have anything for you," she murmured against his lips.

Stepping back, he pulled the tattered ribbon from her hand. "Just tie this in your hair. You are the only gift I could ever want."

Overwhelmed by the love she saw reflected in his eyes, she ran her fingers over the frayed edges and smiled sadly.

"If only we could give ourselves unconditionally. To this day, I belong to the people of Naboo; you belong to the Jedi. Only in select moments are we able to belong to each other."

He drew her back into his arms and whispered, "Some day it will be different. I promise."

The ribbon fluttered to the ground, forgotten.

ENDOR, MORE THAN TWENTY YEARS LATER

Anakin basked in the festivities below, his heart warmed by the simple sight of his son and daughter. He let the Light flow through him, an old friend too long denied.

"Go, we should," Yoda finally declared.

"Yes, Master. I am ready," Anakin responded.

"It is not yet your time," Obi-wan said gravely. "There is still much you must do."

Confused, he shook his head. "Leia cannot see me. I shall return to her when the Force wills it."

"That is not of which I speak. Look to the stars, my friend."

Shrugging, Anakin followed his former Master?s advice.

And that's when he saw it.

A dull red ribbon, its edges ragged and worn, sailed on a current of air. His heart lurched in recognition even as his lips formed his wife's name. Breathless with hope, he followed the slender object, crying out in dismay as it disappeared from sight.

He hurriedly dodged a cluster of trees and found himself in a clearing, the ribbon pooled on the ground before him. He started towards it, but was halted by the form shimmering in the distance.

"Padmé," he choked.

She turned towards him, her expression inscrutable. She was clad in a dress he adored, hair loose and soft. She made no move, no sound? She just? stared.

Bitter realization dawned. Could this be his punishment? An eternity spent under her gaze of condemnation? Not able to touch her, or to speak to her? to beg for her forgiveness?

Despite the

11. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best Humor

The Hero With Not Too Many Fears by Yodan

This story was inspired by a quote from the ROTS novel: younglings knowing about Anakin and Obi-Wan like sports stars. My logic: the younglings must have play-acted them? Enjoy!

---

Macx Martinson is zooming through the air. He is Anakin Skywalker, superhero, with tights and all. There is evil on Alderaan, and it is his job as a Jedi superhero to get rid of it.

The HoloNet is always talking about the big robot arms of the Con-Fed-Er-Is-C, but this time is different. Instead of a billion trillion robots on the ground, there is one super-robomonster a billion trillion zillion times bigger then the average droid. It is huge, and only the super-Jedi can handle this.

It would be better if Obi-Wan was here with them, Macx, thought. But his best friend Manni was at some stupid thing with his stupid sister. So it was just him, alone against the massive robomonster of doom.

It was a good thing Anakin?s the fighter and not the talker, Macx decides, because if he had to be Obi-Wan, he would just end up talking the robomonster to death.

So Anakin is flying off over the mountains of Alderaan, cape flapping in the wind, and he approaches the giant robot.

?Surrender. Or. Be. Destroyed. Human,? the massively evil droid says in a voice that sounds like his dad in the morning.

?Nuh uh! I?ll blow you up if you don?t get out of here!?

?Fear. Me.?

?I am the hero with no fear! You should fear me!?

?You. Are. Small.?

?Am not!?

?Are. Too.?

?Am not!?

?Are. Too.?

?OK, I am kicking your butt now.?

With that Anakin flies up to the robomonster?s head, ignites his glowstick-turned-lightsaber and jabs it in the evil thing?s nose. That makes the robomonster really mad; its nose is a super important place for robomonsters, because that?s where they keep their candy stored. And a robomonster is nothing without candy.

The evil machine pulls its arm back for a megapunch at the flying hero when he is interrupted by a girly voice that makes his ear hurt.

?Hi, Macx. Whatcha doing?? Macx knows the voice. It belongs to his annoying neighbor, Salli. Not only is she annoying but, even worse, she is a girl.

?I was playing Jedi, saving the world from a giant super monster robot. I was just getting to the good part,? he says.

?That?s boring. Let?s play Senate. I want to be Padme Amidala.?

?Who??

?Padme Amidala! The one for Maboo!? She sees Macx?s blank looks and says, ?The one with the pretty dresses and fancy hair, she?s in the politics Holos my mom watches all the time.

?Yuck. Anakin Skywalker does not play with senators.?

?Uh-huh.?

?Nuh-uh.?

?Uh-huh.?

?Nuh-uh.?

?Uh-huh.? Salli says. She can keep this up forever and Macx knows the only way to get her to stop is to play with her. But he doesn?t want to be a stupid Senator. They wear strange clothes and act all funny. He has an idea.

?How about you be that Padme person, and I rescue you from the mega robomonster then I take you back to the Senate??

?That sounds all right I guess, as long as I get back to the Senate soon. They need me to vote on something and look pretty.?

?Erm... All right. OK, so the super evil robomonster?s got you in his hands and he?s about to put you up his nose where he keeps his candy.?

?Up his nose? Eeeeeww. I am not going up any nose!? She screws up her face in disgust.

?I know! I am here to rescue you. And it wouldn?t be gross up there - it?s a robomonster, they don?t have boogies.?

?It?s still gross!?

?OK, I won?t let the robomonster snort you up his nose. But I still need to fight it. I am Anakin Skywalker, after all.?

?Boys,? she said with some annoyance, causing him to give her a funny look.

?OK, remember you are in the evil robomonster?s clutches. I?m about to rescue you.?

?OK.?

Anakin is flying off over the mountains of Alderaan, cape flapping in

12. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best Humor cont'd

When Characters Are Victimized by Idrelle_Miocovani

A/N: This is an excerpt from Chapter the Eighth: ?Does Everything On This Planet Have To Grow Teeth?? A group of characters from Star Wars, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Pirates of the Caribbean and Doctor Who have been gathered on the shores of a beach and they are being victimized by a group of people called the Fan Fiction Gods. The characters are looking for any means to escape, however their ships are growing teeth and escape seems very unlikely. Here, the group troops into the TARDIS as the Doctor and Rose attempt to fix it.

---

?It?s not working!? the Doctor exclaimed. ?Rose, where?s the hammer??

She tossed him a hammer and he began to hit the keys with it.

The ship remained silent.

Anakin wondered how anyone could fix the controls with a hammer.

?What?s wrong with it?? Rose asked, releasing the three levers she had been holding.

The Doctor stood back. ?I don?t know,? he admitted, taking out his small, cylindrical device from his pocket and leaning forwards to examine something else. ?This has never happened before ? OUCH!?

His hand drew back with the unmistakable signs of tooth marks on it.

The Doctor sighed. ?Does everything on this planet have to grow teeth??

?DOCTOR!? Rose yelled.

Everyone glanced at the doorway. It appeared to Anakin that? teeth were beginning to form on the doorframe.

One glance was enough. Everyone ran for it.

The Doctor was the last one out. He slammed the door shut, flicked his device on (its tip turned blue and it made a buzzing noise) and ran it around the door frame.

He turned to Rose. ?I never thought I?d have to lock myself out of my own TARDIS.?

Rose looked troubled. ?What?s wrong with it??

The Doctor glanced upwards. ?I suspect someone?s managed to get a hold on it and is now controlling it. Judging from the teeth, they don?t know what one should do with a TARDIS. That?s fortunate.?

?Wait,? Rose said quickly, ?how could someone be controlling it? You told me that no one could ever get their hands on it.?

?Maybe I was wrong. Or maybe it?s just this planet.?

Anakin was irritated. It appeared that every ship wanted to grow teeth and chew on something.

?What?s a TARDIS?? he asked, exasperated.

?It?s my ship,? the Doctor replied. ?Stands for Time and Relative Dimensions in Space.?

?Meaning it?s a time machine,? Rose added.

?A ship?? Jack said. ?That doesn?t look like a ship. A ship has a keel and a hull and a deck and sails ??

?And as usual, seventeenth century men have no idea what a space ship looks like,? Rose blurted.

?I know ships, missy ??

?Oh yeah? Not space ships, though, Captain. What a shame.?

?Anyways, it?s in disguise,? the Doctor said fondly.

?Disguise?? Harry muttered. ?That?s a disguise??

?Yeah.?

?But the point is,? Rose jumped in, cutting off the Doctor before he could explain more about the disguise, ?the TARDIS is broken now. Or under control. Something?s happening that not even the sonic screwdriver can fix. We?re stuck here.?

?Sonic screwdriver?? Han said, looking annoyed and weirded-out. ?Who makes sonic screwdrivers??

?What?s a sonic screwdriver?? Ron muttered to Hermione. She shot him a don?t-be-shuch-an-idiot-Ronald-and-pay-attention look. He shrugged, ignored her and told Harry, ?I wouldn?t trust a sonic screwdriver, whatever it is. Sounds like a Muggle thing to me.?

The Doctor looked at Han, slightly irritated. ?I do.?

Han looked at him incredulously.

?You have got to be kidding me.?

?What ? ever had a long night? Ever had a lot of cabinets to put up??

Han shot him a thoroughly irritated look and turned away.

?If I ever have a long night, Chewie and I fix the Falcon,? he grumbled, trying not to glance at his ship that was now sitting comfortably in the waves.

13. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best All Around

Deep into a Darkness Peering by VaderLVR64

The vision came to him quickly, catching him off guard. It was as if the Force had been waiting for him to ask. It was ready to show him?

He stood outside a door, his lightsaber hilt resting easily in his hand. Even though he knew it was nothing more than a vision, he felt a surge of joy at the feel of the smooth contours in his grasp. It felt?right.

Then the door opened before him with a flick of his finger. That felt odd, using the Force in such a trivial manner. He had not done such a thing in years, for he had learned to use the Force judiciously, carefully. It was a tool of incredibly destructive power in the wrong hands and he had proven untrustworthy to wield it. Using the Force that way felt?wrong.

Aware that the vision was not real, that he was actually kneeling in the fountain room, he nevertheless felt the floor beneath his boots, he shivered with the hot rush of blood surging through him and the coldness of the shadows embracing him. It was exhilarating and terrifying. Then he noticed the younglings as they started to emerge from their hiding places.

Why were they hiding?

One little boy, younger than Luke and heartbreakingly innocent, looked up at him with utter faith in Anakin. Faith to do what? It was then that Anakin heard the screams and the sounds of blasters being fired. Blasters in the Temple? Anakin?s nostrils flared as he caught the scent of blood and burning flesh. He had to save them! The Vision Anakin merely stood over the boy, his hand clenching rhythmically around the saber hilt.

?Master Skywalker,? the little boy said, his blue eyes wide with terror. ?There are too many of them. What are we going to do??

The Anakin kneeling in the midst of the peaceful fountains longed to reach out and embrace the child, to comfort him and reassure all of them that he would never allow anything bad to happen to them. The Vision Anakin, however, ignited his saber.

The little boy was startled, but the blue eyes still stared up trustingly. Even when the Anakin in the vision raised his blade over the child, he never cowered or flinched, because the idea that Anakin Skywalker would harm him was so unbelievable to the little boy that it never occurred to him or the other younglings.

Until the little boy fell at Anakin?s feet.

Both Anakins looked down at the tiny body sprawled on the floor. Now the boy had Luke?s face. Vision Anakin stared at his dead son and then calmly stepped over the corpse.

It was then that the screams started in the chamber and the younglings ran back to their hiding places. The children fell, one by one, and as they died, their faces were transformed into the features of his children. He kept on killing them, without mercy or remorse, until he was surrounded by replicas of Luke and Leia, scattered at his feet.

The children found there was no place to hide from the Chosen One.

?Anakin?? he heard the voice as if it came from a great distance.

With a gasp, Anakin?s eyes flew open. Suddenly, he realized there was a strong, reassuring hand on his shoulder.

?Padawan,? said a soft voice.

The young man trembled, his dread coming off him in waves so strongly that Obi-Wan stumbled back a step. ?Master?? Anakin took a deep breath. ?I had a vision.?

?I sensed your turmoil,? Obi-Wan said softly. When Anakin looked up at him curiously, the older man admitted sheepishly, ?I couldn?t sleep either.? He lowered himself to the ground, kneeling beside Anakin.

?It was terrible,? the young man said in a choked voice. ?What I did? I can?t even begin to describe-? Once again, he shuddered, closing his eyes tightly as if to block out the memory of what he had seen ? and done.

Obi-Wan said nothing for a moment, keeping his gaze on the pond near their feet and

14. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best All Around cont'd

The Keeper of Secrets by oqidaun

Author?s note: The Keeper of Secrets is the sequel to Burn!Burn!Burn!

from Chapter VIII ?It?ll End in Tears?

?Ms. Cailar!? She pounded on the doorframe. Her frustration with her father, her godfather and virtually every adult she knew poured itself into her pounding. ?Ms. Cailar!?

?She is not going to answer the door today,? the familiar voice offered politely.

Startled, Klair jumped. ?Nordus!? she swore. ?Where?d you come from??

?I was in the neighborhood.? The girl in the old fashioned black dress climbed the porch steps.

?Did you see Ms. Cailar leave??

?In a matter of speaking, I did. Why are you here??

?The damn dogs,? Klair leaned against the doorframe and regarded the strange little girl. ?Everybody?s pissed about something this morning. I?m supposed to ask Ms. Cailar to shut her dogs up, but I think Desh was just wanting to get rid of me.?

?Why??

?Some stupid painting of a dead woman?I don?t know.? She put her hands in her pockets and fished out a handful of taffies. The little girl?s dark eyes widened. Klair noticed her interest. ?Want one??

?Please.? The child held out her hand and Klair dropped one of the wrapped taffies into it. Intently, she unwrapped the candy as though mesmerized by the waxed paper.

?What?s wrong with your hands??

?What do you mean?? The girl stuffed the candy into her mouth and inspected her own hands curiously.

?Why are your hands scarred like that?? The pale skin was taunt over palms and layered in thick white scar tissue.

?Oh!? she giggled clasping her hands together, ?I reached into the fire.? Spying something on the porch, she stooped over and seized a metal object from in front of the door.

?Did it hurt??

The little girl hopped to her feet, her face darkened. ?I don?t like to play question games.?

?Sorry,? Klair started to unwrap the last piece of taffy. ?What?d you find??

?That is a question, Klair.? She eyed the taffy greedily.

Her gaze settled on the little girl?s clenched fist. ?We can trade.? She held out the taffy. ?You give me that shiny thing you just picked up and I?ll give you my last one.?

The girl tightened her scarred first and bit her lip. ?This is not for you.?

Klair pulled back her hand, ?Fine. What else you got??

The girl continued to look at the piece of taffy. A slow smile spread across her lips. ?Hold me to it,? she whispered.

?What??

She spoke slowly, but did not raise her voice above a whisper. ?I?ll owe you.? She stepped forward and seized the piece of taffy, ?Hold me to it.?

She stepped back.

At the same moment the child stepped back, Cailar?s big dog Zeki broke out of the fresher and crashed into the frosted transparisteel panel beside front door barking madly and scratching at the pane. Klair jumped back from the commotion and noticed that the other girl had disappeared yet again. Fascinated by the child?s disappearance, she dove off the porch and ran away from the angry dog

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/23699738/p1]By Small Things[/link] by Noelie

We weren't expecting anyone, so to say we were a little surprised would be understating it, and to find a veritable army at the door was disconcerting.

"Hello, Liam," Mere greeted blithely, pushing her way past me to also allow the group of people behind her to enter. All came bearing gifts of food, so whatever else she had in mind, she was going to keep in with Grandmamma Ovorp's idea that there should be a feast to accompany the matter.

"Hello, to you too Mere. May I inquire as to why you enlisted an army to invade my home?" I grinned however, always glad to see Noela's family.

"I decided since you two were not going to be forthcoming about what is bothering you, I had to take things into my own hands and call a family meeting." I closed the door behind the last brown robe entering my home, and turned to loo

15. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best Underrated

Pebble in the Sky by Kidan

Valin Halycon is a happy man, well almost. He is a mere seventeen years old, but he has found the girl that he is going to marry. Her name is Nyche Senthe, and at sixteen she is what he considers the perfection in feminine form. Smooth skin, long wavy black hair, and sparkling green eyes, and a figure to die for. But what Valin likes the best is her matter-of-fact way of approaching life. If he had to choose one word to describe her emotionally and intellectually he would have to go with ?grounded.? If he had to choose a single word to describe her overall, he would have to go with ?perfect.?

To say he is smitten is an understatement.

He watches her laugh for a moment, and then turns his attention briefly to the third person in their party. Her name is Syal Senthe and she is Nyche?s older sister, and is a spitting image of her sister physically. Emotionally is another story. Where Nyche is calm and collected, Syal is wild and exuberant. He is still amazed that the same parents can produce children so different from one another.

He turns his attention back to Nyche, and wonders once again how exactly the Jedi can deny love and marriage. He is suddenly very glad that his father did not turn him over to the Temple for training when he was born, but undertook to train him secretly, in much the same way he was secretly married.

Valin wonders what sort of pressures such a secret would inflict on the heart, how someone could withstand that pressure for so long without breaking. He knows that he wants to scream out his love for Nyche from the tallest spire of Coronet, even if such a gesture would cause her to blush uncontrollably.

He lands the speeder in the small clearing where they are planning on having their picnic. He quickly gets out, and walks to the brook which flows through the clearing, creating a gentle babbling noise in the background.

Then turning his attention back to the girls, he can?t help but smile at them, his love, and their chaperone. A crashing sound draws his attention and he turns around to face the sound, hoping that it?s not one of the larger predators that can occasionally be found in the woods this far out.

He frowns as a man stumbles out of the forest, dressed in what appears to be torn and dirty Jedi robes. Valin looks him over, noticing the ginger hair is unkempt and dirty, and the stubble of growth on the man?s cheeks. he looks at the three of them, and Valin can feel the shock coming off of him in the Force. He collapses to his knees, and his voice is harsh and low. ?Thank the Force.?

Then the man collapses, falling unconscious.

Valin carries him over to the speeder, and leans him up against it, then grabbing one of the bottles of water; he slowly raises it to the man?s lips. Looking down he notices the lightsaber hilt attached to the man?s belt. The stranger sputters slightly, and starts coming to.

His grey eyes lock on each of them in turn and Valin gently probes him with the Force, sensing the deep, understated power within him. ?Can anyone tell me which planet I?m on??

Syal who had spent the entire time, hovering over Valin, watching the stranger intently speaks up to answer his question. ?Corellia. Why wouldn?t you know what planet you?re on? Where did you think you are? And what?s your name??

Valin sees the shock register in the strangers face, as he once more looks at Syal, and reaches out to gently caress her cheek. His voice when he speaks is a low whisper. ?You look so much like my Jysella.?

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/23699738/p1] By Small Things[/link] by Noelie

The year my sons were born was a time that our galaxy would look back on and remember in that "where were you when" sort of way that marks events that mark the soul.

I had known many wonderful attractive women during my life; indeed without sounding too pompous, in my

16. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best Underrated cont'd

V for Vader by Arcalian

The Shadow Gallery.

V opened a door and looked in a small room. On a dusky, rickety bed lay the unconscious form of Tarkin. Satisfied, V closed the door and marched up the steps of the green-lit stairwell.

He found Luke asleep in the main lounge, head down on a desk.

V looked at the boy for a moment, then allowed his mechanized breathing to become audible.

Luke started awake, and looked at him. "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't hear you come in..."

"No one ever does, unless I wish them to." V cocked his helmeted head. "Have you been crying?"

"Sorry, I know it's childish. Old nightmares."

"I know all about nightmares, beleive me. What is your name, boy?"

"Luke Skywalker."

V's breathing stopped momentarily, and he sat down with an audible thump next to the lad.

"Are you all right?" Luke asked him.

"Skywalker...." V said softly. "Now that's a name I haven't heard since, oh, before you were born. How old are you, young man?"

"Sixteen."

"So....you were born during the purges."

"Yes," Luke said, "But I'm nothing special. I don't know why you're so interested."

V paused a long moment before speaking again. "Everyone is special. Everyone is a hero, a lover, a villain, a fool. Everyone. And there are no coincidences in the Force, I know that only too well. Everyone has a story to tell. I would very much like to hear your story, Luke."

"I remember....I remember my mother being very afraid..."

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/22915381/]Building of the Facade[/link] by DreamingIce

[i]AN: This is one theory of mine on Wes' childhood, and why he's always hid behind his sense of humour.[/i]

The sound of the plates smashing in the kitchen and the raised voices that followed woke the nine-year-old from his restless slumber with a jolt. Across the room from him, his older brother poked his head out from his blankets.

"What do have here? A sudden meteor shower? A wild animal attack?" he joked despite his sleepiness. "Oh, just an argument." Falren rubbed his eyes and rolled out of his bed, heading for his little brother's bed. Said brother was crawled into a ball with his quilt covering his head in a vain attempt to block out the noise, and to hide his fear. The fifteen-year-old sent a silent curse to his father. This was his fault. [i]He[/i] was the one who had turned this into something like a family ritual, but not the type that would ever be mentioned, mind you.

It was always the same. Once the argument had started, no one in the house would sleep. The noise alone enough to keep the two boys awake, but the worst was when, after taking out his frustrations on his wife, Kargir Janson would then try the same on his sons.

Oh, he didn't hit them where a bruise would be seen, he just hit where the blow would hurt even more, or bruise less, and where people wouldn't see.

Hearing the sobs of his mother, and the initial argument winding down, Falren leant down over his brother's bed, hugging Wes as he did so. "Just keep pretending to be asleep, Wes, don't get up okay," he whispered. The mound of blankets that was his little brother nodded and then went still.

A minute or so later, the bedroom door was slammed open. Kargir Janson lumbered in, bringing the stench of strong spirits with him.

"Wha' cha doin' over there, ya stinking kid?" he growled drunkenly at his eldest son.

Getting up off the bed, Falren tried to wrestle his face into a calm mask. "Wes had a nightmare earlier, so I soothed him." [i]Actually he's having a nightmare right now: you. Pity we can't wake up and you'd disappear.[/i]

The older man advanced towards them, "kriffin' wimp, both of ya," he snarled. When Falren didn't move out of the way, he raised his hand. "get outta my way, boy, that kid needs ta learn."

The teenager didn't budge. "No."

Lashing out, Kargir punched him in the stomach and tried to

17. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best Underrated cont'd

My Eyes by the_wandering_shadow

Ben was with me, by my side,
    As we exited the Falcon
    We?d come to land
    On a world of darkness
    An endless plain of fire

A place of surging lava
    The death of everything
    Seemed nigh
    Flames and rising heat endured
    All else seemed denied

I looked at Ben
    He seemed troubled
    His face full of memories
    The kind that were best left forgotten
    As he gazed upon this ruin

But before my words would come
    Ben turned to me and said
    ?After Vader killed your father,
    I met him here?
    To end his evil if I could.?

My confusion only deepened
    Ben saw this
    He placed his hand upon my shoulder
    And he forced a slight smile
    As if to reassure me?

?I did what I could, Luke.
    I just wanted you to know this.?

Then a vision came
    Within my mind
    Of two men dueling fiercely
    On this scorching plain of death
    I watch them raptly

On the right of two locked sabers,
    Both of which were gleaming blue,
    Was clearly Ben Kenobi
    Much younger than I?d ever seen him
    But still the man I knew

The other younger man
    He seemed familiar to me too
    Though I didn?t know him
    But such darkness engulfed him
    That I knew it must be Vader

But not the Vader that all feared
    Not the iron-clad monstrosity
    That caused his men to shudder
    As he towered above them
    Rasping out mechanical breaths

Ben?s opponent was all man
    Instead of mostly machine
    This Vader, slightly scarred
    By years of war,
    He wasn?t much older than me

And before the vision faded
    I saw Darth Vader?s face
    Despite the cold and swelling hate
    I saw my eyes within his sockets

No longer aware of the melting heat,
    I shivered
    What did this vision mean?
    Perhaps I didn?t want to know.

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/22652675/p1]The Ways Of The Force[/link] by Alley_Skywalker

Lexxa found Anakin in the Room Of A Thousand Fountains. He sat cross legged on the broad edge of one the larger fountains with his eyes closed. You could almost think that he was meditating, but Lexxa knew Anakin Skywalker too well to be fooled in such a way. She noticed how the warm light of the golden afternoon sun played in his hair and on his tanned skin. His lips were pursed lightly together and he wasn?t noticing her presents. She liked to see him like this somehow, he almost looked at peace.

She pushed a strand of her hair back from where it had stuck to her cheek, still damp from her hasty shower. She walked over to Anakin and sat next to him, wringing her hands nervously. ?Anakin?? she prodded softly.

He opened his eyes and looked over at her, his eyes sad and pleading with her for an answer. An answer to the unspoken question which they both desperately wanted an answer to. An answer nether could give.

Why?

The word echoed through the Force between them, making Lexxa look away from those blue eyes that seemed to look right through her. Seeing everything that she wished to keep secret.

Anakin spoke first. ?Do you think he cares??

?I don?t know.? But she couldn?t tell him that. ?Your master? I?m sure he does, Anakin. masters care about their padawans.?

He didn?t say anything just looked at her.

?Do you care about him?? she prodded tentatively.

Anakin snorted. ?If I didn?t I wouldn?t be hanging around here. I would go back to Mom.?

Lexxa bit her lip. ?What happened, Ani?? The endearing nickname came so easily to her that she didn?t even think about if. Anakin looked surprised but didn?t say anything. Then his gaze lost that emotion and she was looking into twin blue skies that were veiled by unseen clouds. A quite before the storm.

?They called me names. The other padawans I mean. They said I was trash and no good ?cause I was from the Outer Rim and because I had been a slave??

He paused and Lexxa found that she still couldn?t meet his eyes. Her heart was pounding,

18. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best Underrated cont'd

Ashmé by Pandora26

The Inquisitor had been working at something on a datapad, but he had already set it aside. He stood up. (And not, I will add, from one of those pink chairs.) He looked over at us, for perhaps a few breath held seconds. He didn't move. He had taken his cloak off, and he wore a magnified eyeglass over his pale eye. Later, I would know, and not just guess, that he was mostly blind in that eye. But that had not happened yet.

"Good,"he said. To the stormtrooper. "You may wait by the door."

"Yes, sir."

Now, he looked at me. I couldn't hear the click of his footsteps as he came towards me. The stormtrooper had left the door mostly shut behind him. "You're Brisa?"

His voice was cold, bored. Indifferent. I couldn't believe that, earlier, I had felt him see me in the throne room. My thighs were tight clenched up, again, and my heartbeat wobbled. My skirts were batting close against my legs, and I wanted, somehow, to turn my face away. I didn't have to guess why. (A handmaiden should not be seen. She should not be.) And: he had said it. My name. Of course, I shouldn' have been surprised. Really, what had I expected?

"Well?"

"Yes?" I said.

"Brisa," (and why did he have to say my name again? It sounded different, as though it wasn't mine). "Do you know why you're here?"

If he asked, then perhaps I didn't. I swallowed, and it was too loud in my ears. "You wanted to question me about the? The Jedi the Queen is supposedly hiding."

"That's part of it,"? he said. "I'll make this short. I won't assume how much your Mistress shares with you, but I am guessing that you are her confidant. A good, Naboo girl like you? Of course. Whatever she has told you, it is your duty, as a loyal daughter of your world, to tell me. If not now? I'm patient. I will wait."

"I have nothing to tell you," I said. (And my voice was cold and far away, and it was not afraid. Good.) "And if I did? I can't."

"You can," he said. "You choose not to, out of, shall I say, admirable, yet misguided loyalty."? He stood less than a foot away from me. The room was pale, from the towering big windows at the back of the room, but I would only realize that later. Now, it was dark. He was there. His blood ruby ring. His fingernails, which, I noticed, as I looked away from his face, were slightly dirty. Odd, really.

"Sit down," he said.

"But--"

"We're in no hurry here, dear," he said. "Quite the contrary. I had that other girl in here nearly an hour, so I'm sure you would like to be comfortable."

I did, while the Inquisitor watched. I almost fell down into the wooden chair the Inquisitor had been using, the moment before I saw him. The chair bumped hard and bony against me. I couldn't look away, as the Inquisitor came and loomed over me. I could smell the dark wool of his clothes, and, for a flash, his aftershave. My tongue felt heavy. His breathing was close, too close, and I could almost see my face blurred in his eyepiece. My pulse tick ticked. And:

"You needn't be afraid," he said. "Not yet. You can see I didn't bring the torture droids today, but another time, I might. I don't need to explain what that means."

He knows how to break people.

"What do you want to know?"? I said.

"You tell me," he said. "You are already aware of why I came here. We didn't find the Jedi my men tracked to Theed, but we will. Do I have to explain this any further. Brisa? The question is: Your Mistress is going down a path she should not have chosen. Do you want to go down with her?"

My hands were clenched in fists, but I said: "If I must. My loyalty is to the Queen. Surely, you already know that. Otherwise, I would not have been chosen."

"Of that, I am well aware," he said.

He smiled, then. And I was not imagining it, he was amused. Suddenly, he reached out and took my arm, and before I could gasp, he had me stand up again. His face came too close. M

19. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best Underrated cont'd

Full Confidence by DarthIshtar

It was hardly the day for failure.

The morning should have started well, since they had voted on the last of the pending legislative measures at the last session. The primary issue of the day was one that Finis Valorum had well in hand.

He could only hope that the Naboo would trust him on this matter.

"The Queen has arrived safely," Mas Amedda said implacably as Valorum entered the speaker's box, "and there have been no disturbances."

"The Trade Federation isn't willing to admit that they attempted to prevent her escape," Valorum countered. "Of course there have been no disturbances."

Amedda never smiled. In fact, Valorum could have counted on one of Master Yoda's hands how many times he'd seen an expression of emotion cross the Chagrian man's face, but he was a capable and loyal Vice Chairman. He also seemed to know more about the Republic's laws and policies than Valorum and his predecessors could hope to understand in a dozen lifetimes.

The expression on the Vice Chairman's face, therefore, was one of indulgent patience. "Yes, Chancellor," he said calmly.

Without another comment, he took his place in the box as it moved to the center of the arena.

"The Chair recognizes the Senator from the sovereign system of Naboo," he began.

It was no surprise to find that Palpatine would be speaking. The man had gained power chiefly because he had a flair for the dramatic rather than any particular political genius. He would rally the troops, as it were, then leave the Queen to secure a sympathy vote.

At least that usually sly combination would result in a favorable result for the sovereignty of Naboo.

"Supreme Chancellor," the man commenced with all the mournful charm of a martyr, "delegates of the Senate. A tragedy has occurred which started with the taxation of trade routes, and has now engulfed our entire planet in the oppression of the Trade Federation."

"This is outrageous!"

Not surprisingly, the Senator from the Trade Federation must have begun the repositioning of the Senate box the moment that his adversary came into focus.

"I object to the Senator's statements!" Lott Dod declared.

Naturally.

Amedda would have reminded him unnecessarily that they could not open that debate unless the Senator filed a formal objection, which would then be reviewed by the Chancellor.

At least it was a valid reason to delay the inevitable.

"The Chair does not recognize the Senator from the Trade Federation at this time," Valorum responded sharply in order to deflect whatever argument the man might present. "Please return to your station."

It was rather impossible to describe the movement of an inanimate object as grudging, but it was certainly the impression that he received.

Palpatine looked highly smug, but did not wait for permission to continue. "To state our allegations, I present Queen Amidala, recently elected ruler of Naboo, who speaks on our behalf."

The girl-Queen, adorned and coiffed as if she were playing dress-up, but moving with all of the stately grace of someone twice her age, Amidala moved to the podium to a mild smattering of applause.

"Honorable representatives of the Republic," she greeted them coldly, "I come to you under the gravest of circumstances."

So far, so good.

The girl was keeping her allegations in simple terms without theatrics.

"Naboo system has been invaded by the droid armies of the Trade..."

"I object!" Lott Dod repeated. "There is no proof. This is incredible. We recommend a commission be sent to Naboo to ascertain the truth."

Immediately, as the Malastarian delegation came to their support, Mas Amedda moved to provide the procedural instructions.

"If she can provide no solid proof," he said quietly, "we will have to respond to that. No formal action can be taken without..."

"The planet is under siege," Valor

20. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best Underrated cont'd

Time Trap by Vader_Princess

21. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best Response to a Challenge

Jedi Scum by dianethx

For the ?Kill Qui-Gon? challenge.

It was a lovely morning.

Sometime during the night, there had been a great disturbance in the Force. Death had visited the Healer's ward but that would be nothing new. It was a constant companion there and I often visited the local hospitals to give aid and comfort to those unfortunates who had little time to live. It was great fodder for the holovids in my rise as politician. And it had an added benefit - the suffering of those dying fools were so very pleasurable in the twisted currents of the Dark.

And now one more poor unfortunate had joined the Force, a little earlier than expected.

His death agonies had been particularly fierce. I don't like to leave things like that half done and since Jinn was strongly Force-sensitive, he broadcast his torment so beautifully. When I hit the pain centers in his brain with little pops of Dark energy, his body writhed and undulated like some kind of demented droid, his arms and legs jolting chaotically. He was awash in pain as every nerve in his body fired all at once. Lovely.

Unfortunately, I couldn't prolong it too long, much as I would have liked to have him my plaything for a while. He kept screaming, glorious music in its harsh bloody noise. I drank in his shrill cries, enjoyed it most thoroughly, so much so that I lingered, listening to the delightful melody of prolonged torture.

But I had to end it. Someone was coming and fast. One quick twist of my wrist and his heart collapsed. The screams turned to gurgles, and then one final sigh and it was done.

I escaped just in time. The Jedi were quick to respond to their own being hurt but they were not quick enough. Bumbling idiots.

All in all, a thoroughly satisfying encounter.

After my little adventure, I needed to speed things up on the other front. Skywalker would be mine by the day's end.

I found him sitting in one of the gardens, his young face wet with tears. It was clear that he had heard about Jinn and was mourning both the Jedi and the death of his dreams.

Sitting next to him on the bench, I hugged him close. "Anakin, I'm so sorry to hear about Master Jinn. He was a hero and a fine Jedi." The words made me want to vomit but it was the right thing to say to the boy.

He swiped at his face, trying to brave. "He was the only one who believed in me, besides my mom..." He sent me a tremulous smile, "And you, Sir."

Patting his shoulder, I pulled out the paternal old mentor guise. "You are a brave boy and would make an excellent Jedi. But they don't see the potential that I do. They are not going to take you into their Order.

When he just nodded, looking thoroughly miserable, I continued, "But you are one of our greatest heroes, son. I will see to it that we bring your mother here, set her up a house, find her some kind of work."

With every word his eyes were growing wider and his spirit seemed to brighten. Lying to the child was such fun but I didn't let my enjoyment show. "And when you are older, I'll support your application to the Piloting Corps on Naboo. Who knows, perhaps you will rise to General someday."

I smiled at the boy, all indulgence and false warmth. "I wouldn't be surprised if you became King."

"King?" He blinked. Apparently, a slave boy doesn't think beyond the moment; planting the seeds of ambition was incredibly easy. "I could marry Padme?"

I tried not to laugh. The idea was so absurd that this boy could think about marriage and to that annoying slip of a girl. But I merely looked confused. "The Queen? I suppose you could but you are young to be thinking of that now, my boy."

"I know, but I dreamed that I'd marry her someday. My dreams always come true... well, until now." He kicked at the dirt under his feet, stirring up a puff of dust; one small stone clattered against the bench. I could see his certainty of becoming a Jedi fading.

22. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best Songfic

One Day Soon by VaderLVR64

Go to sleep, may your sweet dreams come true
    Just lay back in my arms for one more night
    I've this crazy old notion that calls me sometimes
    Saying this one's the love of our lives.

Cause I know a love that will never grow old
    And I know a love that will never grow old.

Anakin breathed deeply, inhaling Padmé?s unique scent as he kissed her temple. They had been able to steal an entire night for themselves, and just the thought of it was a heady wine thrumming through his veins. Though it might be more accurate to call it morning than night, he admitted.

His eyes wandered to the windows, where the Coruscant dawn threatened. His lashes swept down, blocking out those first hints of light. Padmé murmured softly, shifting in his arms. Then she turned, nestling her head on his chest and giving a contented sigh. He smiled in spite of his impending departure.

Padmé eyelids fluttered and she looked up at him. Her brown eyes were filled with confusion for a moment, then softened into the expression she gave only to him and she smiled sleepily. ?This is the best way to wake up,? she whispered. Then her eyes too flickered to the window. ?Oh?? she said softly, dismayed.

?I have a little longer,? he assured her, though he knew he should already be back in the Temple. He ought to be safe in his lonely bed. Anakin shuddered, for it was better to suffer through another endless lecture from Obi-Wan than to leave the warmth of his wife?s arms for the cold, sterile confines of the Temple.

Frowning, she looked out the window and back at him. ?Are you sure?? she asked, her concern clear.

Briefly, his jaw clenched. Why couldn?t she be as willing as he was to take a risk for their love? She constantly prattled on about responsibility and duty and honor, while he spoke of love and passion and need. Then he put his anger aside, for he did not want to waste one second of their time together. ?I?m sure,? he answered at last.

A smile transformed her face and she blushed as she snuggled closer to him. ?Good,? she whispered.

Lean on me, let our hearts beat in time,
    Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long.
    Who cares where we go on this rutted old road
    In a world that may say that we're wrong.

Cause I know a love that will never grow old
    And I know a love that will never grow old.

Padmé woke up slowly, gradually and gratefully taking notice of the heat surrounding her. Then she smiled, finding comfort in the familiar beat of Anakin?s heart next to her. His hand was resting possessively on her belly, and the child within her kicked. Anakin?s long fingers stroked idly at the baby, an answering touch, father to child.

?She?s awake,? he whispered in her ear and she could hear his smile in his voice.

?Yes, he is,? she answered as she turned to him.

Anakin grinned. ?I guess we?ll be arguing about this until the little one actually makes her appearance,? he teased.

?And I?ll be proven right,? she said smugly. ?Mothers know these things.

?So do fathers,? Anakin answered with a show of great authority.

?We can?t both be right,? she reminded him.

?Of course not,? he agreed. He kissed her temple, his breath warming her skin. ?Because it?s a girl.?

Playfully she punched him on the arm. ?I insist on having my way in this matter, Anakin Skywalker.?

He frowned at her, but his lips twitched, betraying him. ?As if you don?t get your way in everything,? he scoffed.

Suddenly solemn, she cradled his face in her hands. ?Not everything,? she whispered and then her eyes strayed to his clothing, the lightsaber resting haphazardly on top of the discarded pile of tunics and leggings. ?If I did, you?d never leave me.?

?I?m here now,? he said softly.

?But for how long?? she asked.

?Not long enough,? Anakin answered. T

23. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best Poem

Act II, Scene XXIII by Elana

A/N: Dare Challenge response.

Act II

Scene XXIII. A room in the Naberrie's lakehouse.

Enter ANAKIN and PADMÉ

PADMÉ:

My guest, protector, friend, the hour grows late,
    Yet I am loath to part. Some troubled thought
    Is writ upon thy face, and though my heart
    Misgives thy fateful words must render naught
    But grief and sorrow to us both, yet speak.

ANAKIN:

Ten years and more have passed since first we met.
    Then I was but a child. We parted soon,
    And ne'er again our paths did cross till now.
    Yet every moment since thy angel light
    Didst break upon my vision, I have held
    Thy memory dear within my heart. Each morn
    The break of dawn less radiant shines than thy
    Remembered smile. Each indrawn breath infused
    With thine own fragrance, lotus-flower sweet.
    Each night, as in imperial majesty
    Thy world once ruled, thou reign'st Queen of my dreams.

PADMÉ:

I cannot bear to hear such words. Forbear;
    It is not seemly thus for thee to speak.

ANAKIN:

Yet speak I must, these words that long have burned
    In silence stayed on my unmoving tongue.
    Though then I loved thee as a child, now I've
    To manhood grown, and love thee as a man.
    To stand here by thy side, yet touch thee not
    Is torturous pleasure, precious agony,
    Sweet pain, yet should I leave thy presence dear
    Aught else would be to me the airless void
    Between the stars, which steals both life and breath.
    Just once thy lips touched mine. The memory still
    Engulfs my soul in hot tormenting flame.
    With that forbidden kiss, a branding iron,
    Thy owner's mark engraved upon my heart
    In lines of fire that never more shall fade,
    But harden, and remain eternal scars.
    I know not anymore what I should do.
    I place my fate within thy gentle hand.
    I am thy slave; I'll do whate'er thou bid.

PADMÉ:

I am amazed, and know not what to say.

ANAKIN:

Say only whether thou my suffering share.

PADMÉ:

I dare not answer. We should bid good night,
    And speak no more impossible desires.

ANAKIN:

O, wilt thou leave me so unsatisfied?

PADMÉ:

What satisfaction canst thou have tonight?
    The world is real, not built of airy dreams.
    Thou art a Jedi; I in Senate serve.
    The road that thou wouldst set thy feet upon
    We cannot follow. Neither thy desire
    Nor mine can alter that.

ANAKIN:

Thou dost desire!

PADMÉ:

Thy future thou shalt not forsake for me.
    The cost would be too high, the price too dear.

ANAKIN:

Thou bidst me honor reason as my guide,
    But never have my feet calm thoughts pursued,
    But swiftly followed where my impassioned heart
    Hath led. I doubt not I should happier be
    If I could pluck the blossom of my love
    For thee, and with a wish and sigh of breath
    Send ardor flying hence like downy seeds
    Upon the wind. But passion's roots have sunk
    So deep within that to attempt to pull
    The tough stem forth would only serve to drag
    My heart still beating from my lifeless breast.

PADMÉ:

Though sweet temptation woos me to thy side,
    Enticing with forbidden pleasures' hope,
    I'll not surrender.

ANAKIN:

No. But even so
    We could in secret love, by dark of night,
    Or when concealing shadows cloud the sight
    Of all who would gainsay our covert tryst.

PADMÉ:

Live in eternal falsehood? Exile truth
    Beyond all compass? Counterfeit cold looks
    To cover hands' hot touches? I could not
    In such deception dwell, I fear. Couldst thou?

ANAKIN:

No, neither could I bear such vile deceit.
    The effort to keep such a secret hid
    Would rend our lives asunder with the strain.
    Thou hast convinced me. We would be destroyed.

PADMÉ:

'Tis settled, then. We shall not fall in love.
    I pray thee, speak no further of these vain
    And hopeless longings. I shall do my best
    To wipe from memory all that thou hast said
    This night, and still regard thee

24. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
    Best Crossover

Tatooine Messiah by VaderLVR64

?She gives water to the dead.? Frank Herbert, Dune

Padmé sat in perfect silence, keeping her vigil over the body of her dead son. He rested in the royal cradle, the arms of the Skywalkers emblazoned above him. Luke was still and pale and perfect. Reaching out with one hand, she brushed her fingers against his cool, white cheek.

?It?s almost your feeding time,? she whispered. The ache in her breasts was a poignant reminder that her son should be eating now. She wanted to plead with the gods to wake him from his unnatural slumber and let him cry out for her, to feel the strong pull of his mouth, the softness of his flesh against hers. He merely lay there, as quiet as the death which had claimed him.

Getting to her feet, she tucked his blanket more securely about him. He did not stir at her ministrations, his eyes did not flicker and no grin appeared. He was beyond her now.

They had wanted to take him away hours ago, but she was waiting ? waiting for Anakin, or even Muad?Dib, to come and see their dead son one last time. To Anakin she had given a son, to Muad?Dib she had given an heir. Which one would miss Luke more, she wondered.

There was the sound of a door opening and she heard the footfalls of her husband?s big boots. She turned and met his luminous blue-on-blue eyes. At least they were not alight with a sickly yellow fire, she thought gratefully. It was Anakin who came to mourn then.

Rising, she took his head. ?He?s gone,? she said in a dazed voice, like a man who has received a mortal wound in battle yet stays on his feet by some unknown means.

Tenderly, he brushed away her tears. ?I know, my love.?

She stared up at him, her eyes as brown as the day he had first seen her. Even here, she did not partake of the spice, and as Empress, she could request foods from across the Imperium so even her diet was free of it. Some whispered that it was unnatural that the Emperor?s wife would not have the eyes of the Fremen, his adopted people. Anakin, however, understood her reticence. It would make no difference in their fates, so he let her have her way in this small matter. Blue eyes or brown, she was his own sihaya, his desert spring.

They stared at each other for a long moment, and she searched for something in his eyes. Then she pulled away with a gasp. ?You knew!? she hissed, a cold and angry look twisting her features into something ugly.

Turning away from her, away from their dead child, his head lowered to his chest. His broad shoulders shuddered slightly, but he did not answer. Her hands gripped his tunics as she moved him to face her. ?You knew he?d die and yet you let me go on hoping?? her voice broke on a sob and she threw herself into his arms. ?How could you??

Of course, he had known. The future was laid out before him in all its terrifying glory. There was so much pain and death on their path that the loss of this child was but a taste of the bitterness that awaited them. He could not tell her the truth, could not bear to reveal that this was but the first of many heartaches. There was hope on that path as well, if he but had the strength to grasp it. He wavered even now, caught between his choices, his destinies.

?How could you let me go on hoping he?d live?? Padmé cried against his chest.

His arms wrapped around her tightly, as if he could take all of her pain into his own soul and free her of the awful burden. When he spoke, his voice was no more than a rough whisper of sound. ?How could I deny you a mother?s hope?? he asked. He tilted up her chin so that she could see the pain of the unbearable choice he had had to make. ?Without hope, the heart dies, my love.? His tone was tender, and then he bent down and caught her tears on his tongue. He drank up her grief and bitterness, took it into himself.

When she calmed somewhat, he took her hand and together they

25. SagaFanficAwards

Jun 2, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.