main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The SAGA gives a perfect example for character development.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by BobaFrank, Apr 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    For anyone who wants to make a film or wants to see how character development works only has to watch the SAGA and study Anakin, Luke, and Han.

In film school our instructors stressed how important character development is to the story and the emotional attachment it provides for the audience.

Where does the character begin?
    Does he have a goal, destiny, or focus?
    Does he fail or achieve that end result?
    Is he changed for the better or worse by it?

Anakin's journey from an innocent child to Jedi hero, to fallen Jedi, to Villain, and then redeemed hero, provides the perfect example I've personally seen on screen. Luke and Han are excellent examples as well.

Discuss.

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I think those are good examples of character developement (which I love to talk about). However, first I must add that you are missing out on one of the most dynamic characters of the saga there: Obi-Wan. Just thought I'd throw that into the mix for discussion as well.

I'm too tired right now to make competent comments, though. Will be back later.

-sj loves kevin spacey

3. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Yes the Saga has all of that.
    It is one of the basic principles of myth.
    The hero starts off in a quiet life, they are usually a fool. They meet a guide and are taken off into the unknown world. They usually defeat a obstacle in their way and then they are off. Usually the hero meets with friends who will help them on this journey. Then bascially the hero, his friends and the guide enter a maze (like the Death Star, or the underground Dwarf city in LOTR) it is here that the hero loses the gude. Then the hero enteres a part where he journeys to the underworld and sometimes one of the friends will betray him. Finally the hero is able to defeat all odds and conquer evil.

The myth is a story of change for the main characters. Han went from a man after fortune and glory to a man who fought for those he loved. Luke/Anakin were craving adventure on Tatooine and eventually they were put off into war and conflict and they saved the galaxy. Padme went from a women working for her people to someone who is following her heart into a relationship she wants. Leia went from a take charge type of gal...who gave the orders to a women who would use diplomacy to get what she wanted. Even the changes between trilogies of Yoda and Obi-Wan.

There are many changes, their adventures and wars are quick to change them.

The EU also has quite a few changes in characters like Jacen Solo, and Mara Jade Skywalker.

-Seldon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.