main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Saga Graded

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by The_Improved_BMD, Mar 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Improved_BMD

The_Improved_BMD Jedi Master star 1

Feb 10, 2005
    The Phantom Menace: D-

An absolute Turkey with few redeeming qualities.

Attack of the Clones: C

It's full of garbage, but a few flashes of brilliance (Anakin speeding across the Dune sea, the Tusken Slaguhter, Battle of Geonosis, and the ending Montage of Dooku arriving on Coruscant, Palpatine reviewing the Grand Army, and the doomed marriage) save it from utter failure and leaves the viewer pumped and ready for episode 3.

Revenge of the Sith: B+

It's the best of the prequels, yet I still can not stomach 'nooooooooooo'.

Star Wars: A+

The best film of the saga. It's flawless.

The Empire Strikes Back: A

Nothing needs to be said about this masterpiece.

Return of the Jedi: A-

For me, it is the most emotionally engaging film of the saga, but the dance number at the beginning with Sy Snootles brings it down a notch.

2. Sinnion

Sinnion Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 24, 2006
    The Phantom Menace C+

The Good :
    Loved Maul, Qui Qon, Young Kenobi, Jedi Council, All the new Planets and worlds, Laughed and cringed at Jar Jar, Duel of the Fates, Trade Federation, the Chosen one mythos, exploration of the force via midi's, Sidious, The Sith Order, John Williams score, R2's origin in finding our heroes, C3P0's origin, all fantastic.

The Bad :
    I cringe a Padme's voice, sometimes at Jake, Jar Jar get's old. Podracing and Tatooine is a cool revisitation of what we have known but is now different, but it get's way old too. THe kiddish qualtities while not nesseccarily a bad thing I just thought didn't fit for me.

Attack of the Clones B-

The Good:
    Hayden I give props to for creating an Anakin that we've ll known about just never seen.

Dooku was fantastic. Kamino superb. Loved Swash Buckling Obi Wan. Loved the Seperatist plot. CLONES!! The further mystery of Sidious and palpatine is dug into. Yoda, what can I say. Anakin's first mistakes and past come to haun his destiny, i love the way this play's off. We see the reflection of Luke and Anakin, and how each of them handle there problems now are able to comparison. Geonosis, all of it! The whole Tyranus plot was fun. Jango and Boba a fanboy's dream, and it was exacuted with a purpose. John Williams score yet again. Loved the dark tone surrounding the movie. Loved Mace Windu. Anakin on Tatooine, were begining to see who he's becoming.

The Bad:
    Natalie is cringing at times as well is Hayden. There love story while doesn't effect much of the other great qualities, being its its own plot, but it does do damge to the grade. To much CG and not enough quality in it was not a good thing.

But overall this mysterious and magical movie sets up a great 3rd installment that captured the magic of Star Wars for me.

Revenge of the Sith A-

The Good:
    Great special effects! They finally got the CG right in this one. Opening Battle was a dream!! The Republic is showing hints of the Empire in developement. GREIVOUS!! Brilliant character and a foreshadow of Anakins fate. Master Obi Wan was just a bad ass. SIDIOUS!!!! The Dooku/Anakin battle just reeked of Luke/Vader final battle, it was truly a great thing. Palpatines Teachings!! Battle of the Heroes!!!!!!!!--this couldn't have been better. The Purge of the Jedi/Order 66. Anakin's Fateful Desicion for power and his knighting. Palpatines deformation/formation. UTAPAU, greatest planet imagined!!! Mustafar Another great one. Birth of the Twins. The destinies of our heroes. Mustafar and Alderan!! And last but not least the Formation of the Empire, the immolation of Anakin, the Transformation in to Darth Vader, and the glimpse of the Death Star representing the future conflict.

The Bad the Love story while nessecary was cringing. Natalie [face_shame_on_you]. Hayden did some cringing stuff worth noting as bad.

But what great movie and finally into our fav's.

A thing I like about the PT as a whole is how each new Sith-like villian foreshadows what Anakin will become.

Darth Maul- Anakin will become a tool of Sidious' while killing Jedi etc.
    Darth Tyranus- Anakin will became a fallen Jedi betraying his friends.
    Grievious- While not a sith he forshadows the Cyborg that Anakin will become.

I've only done the PT so far but will post the OT later.

3. Darth-Erevos

Darth-Erevos Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 19, 2006
    Arent similar topics active?? i guess the grade thing does the difference...so...

TPM A-
    Pros.Incredible re-introduction of Star Wars universe, magical Nabboo, incredible Coruscant, breathtaking underwater city, soundtrack with old and new themes that ARE Star Wars, classic scenes like the planet core chase and the podracing, very interesting politics, one of the best duels in history of cinema, Darth Maul, Qui-Gon (sp?), Padme Amidala, senator Palpatine.
    Cons.Jar Jar overuse, Anakin's casting, some very kiddish jokes that seem out of place.

AOTC A
    Pros.The whole Obi-Wan subplot is fantastic and fresh, the constant feeling of doom, the best ending in the saga, the confession scene gives you goosebumps, medieval-style love story with one of the most touching bitter-sweet music themes i 've ever heard, the direction and photography is exceptional even for a Star Wars film, Coruscant chase, Geonosis battle is FANTASTIC, classic scenes like the arena and ALL Kamino scenes, Anakin's casting, Yoda is CGI, Kamino is haunting, Count Dooku, Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Padme Amidala, Yoda.
    Cons.i d like more Dooku

ROTS A+ (another level of grading)
    ABSOLUTE MASTERPIECE, THE BEST MOVIE IN HISTORY

ANH A-
    Pros.Smooth introduction to the Star Wars universe (not an easy thing to accomplish),
    classic scenes like the opening, the final battle and the medal-awarding, Han Solo, Obi-wan Kenobi, Tarkin, Darth Vader
    Cons.Too long final battle, the only episode that is dated, little action, bad effects comparing to other episodes, kiddish scenes that seem out of place, irritating Leia, the least re-watchable

ESB A
    Pros.The dark tone, classic scenes like the asteroid chase and the confession, haunting duel, amazing Bespin, Han Solo rules, Leia gets interesting, Luke's dilemma's, Yoda is an iconic character, the imperial march is the best soundtrack theme ever created, the best soundtrack overall, the tragic journey of the main character, Vader is overly cool,Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, Yoda, Leia, Han Solo
    Cons.Uninteresting and a let-down Yoda's training,kinda boring Hoth battle, the overuse of 3PO in Bespin scenes

ROTJ A-
    Pros.The throne room scenes are a stand alone masterpiece, more classic scenes like the speeder chase and Leia in bikini, Palpatine rules, the best space battle in the saga, the second best soundtrack, Luke Skywalker, Palpatine, Vader
    Cons.Too long Jabba scenes, Ewok overuse, the worst photography.

4. smibrilundun

smibrilundun Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2007
    menice c ,clones a -,sith a ,hope b+,empire a+,jedi c+

5. AnakinBrego

AnakinBrego Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2004
    The Phantom Menace A-

Attack of the Clones C-

Revenge of the Sith B-

A New Hope A

The Empire Strikes Back A+

Return of the Jedi A

6. E107_Theta

E107_Theta Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 5, 2005
    The Phantom Menace: C
    A lot of people hate on this movie, and for good reason, but it isn't as bad as people make it out to be. There are a couple Star Wars movies that aren't good, but there are movies out there way worse than any Star Wars film.

The movie tends to be slow and boring, some of the characters are decent (Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Palpatine) but most are kind of bleh. While this has been said millions of times before, the special effects are indeed great and it's still fairly entertaining. It's not good enough to warrent watching a million times, but around or one or two runs through are fun.

Attack of the Clones: C-

I think AOTC is probably the worst Star Wars film. The beginning really drags on, and while it starts to pick up around halfway through, it's still interlaced with boring scenes and doesn't really get going until the end. It has major editing and pacing issues, that's why the sound effect designer shouldn't be the one editing your film, great job Ben Burtt. >.>

I also think the acting from Hayden and Natile are abysmal. Their scenes are painful to watch, and come off as overly awkward and sometimes creepy. I'd rather watch a trilogy of films focusing on Jar Jar Binks than these guys' poorly-executed love affair. A well-executed love affair would be a different story though...

Revenge of the Sith: B

The best prequel, ROTS comes closest to the original trilogy. It has a lot of similar ships, designs, costumes, themes and music to the OT, which is one reason why I think TPM and AOTC were so loathed. There's a ton of action, and most of it is good.

It isn't perfect though, as Anakin and Padme's love affair gets even worse in this one, and the film was just way too rushed. Anakin went bad too quick. I think had they totally scrapped Grevious (who they intended to be badass but completely failed at doing so) and focused on Anakin's fall some more, the film would have been way better. While I have nothing against Grevious, I really think he was unesesary and ate up a lot of time in the movie that could have been devoted to more important things. How come all the prequels have a throw-away bad guy? With Palpatine, Vader AND Dooku, a fourth villian just made it too crowded.

A New Hope: A+
    My favorite film and the first one I saw, so maybe I'm a little biased. Still, this movie is a whole load of fun to watch, and you can watch it over a hundred times and it never gets old. I'm really into the Campbellesque Heroic Journey parallels, and story itself is just timeless. Not to mention the films finale is probably one of the most intense scenes ever in a film, watching it really puts you on the edge of your seat.

The Empire Strikes Back: A+
    While ANH is my favorite, I believe TESB is the best. The direction, story and even the dialogue and acting were great. (OMG! A Star Wars movie with good dialogue and acting! Hell has frozen over!) I liked how the characters, well, had so much character, and how even though the movie was very dark, it still had a lot of humor thrown in. And not bathroom humor, actual witty, smart humor. It took itself seriously, but not too seriously. Like ANH this movie is just a blast to watch.

Return of the Jedi: B+
    Probably the weakest of the OT, but still a good movie. The beginning scenes with Jabba really begin to drag on, and well, the Ewoks were indeed a little silly. I don't hate them, but I think had the final battle taken place on Kashyyk, it would have been a lot cooler, because not only are Wookiees a lot cooler than Ewoks, it would be more believable a too, because they're bigger and stronger and have more advanced technology.

The space battle and the duel aboard the Death Star II are some of the best scenes ever in Star Wars though. Too bad the entire movie wasn't like that.

7. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    The Phantom Menace: C-

Probably one of the most-anticipated movies in history. I left the theater scratching my head, totally disappointed.

Attack Of The Clones: C+

I found it more "Star Wars" than TPM, but still was disappointed in the long run. My hopes for #3 were dimming rapidly.

Revenge Of The Sith: B-

The best of the prequels. But that's like saying I prefer a cold over the flu.

A New Hope: A+

No other Star Wars movie has quite the feeling of this one. It isn't perfect, but the good outweighs the bad 10 to 1.

The Empire Strikes Back: A

An incredible sequel. It takes A New Hope and brings it to the next level. But to me, it lost a little of the GFFA feel that A New Hope has.

Revenge Of The Jedi: A-

The weakest of the OT, but still 1,000 miles ahead of the best PT movie. It had started to get a little to "Disney" for me here. It lost some of its sincerity.

8. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    I had the flu all weekend - watched the saga in bed, so it's all fresh - plus I watched it in a state of delirium.

TPM - Those Japanese guys were funny at the beginning. I didn't remember the Gungun's eyes glowing so much. Natalie Portman is an actor? Got a nice sleep in the middle. There's no bad guy threat here. Sheep+

AOTC - I had trouble keeping anything down during this. They kissed like siblings and spoke like a bad high school drama project. Fett was awesome. 32 Alpahghettis.

ROTS - Nothing beats Yoda vs Palps in all prequel Land. Rewind - rewind - tee tee! How did Yoda get his coat back?
    2 Sith Eyes Up.

ANH - Leia was only 19? She looks older. Her teeth are big. I'm scared... 4 Jawas.

ESB - This is like, the Han Solo one, right? 8 Indies.

ROTJ - How come no one is calling him Sidious? I like his teeth better in the cartoons. 2 CW DVDs.

9. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    ANH is my sentimental fave. Seeing it as a kid, it was true movie magic.
    ESB I was a lil older and had a HUGE crush on Solo. I remember me and my friend
    crying when he was frozen lol.
    Jedi showed us a more mature controlled Luke so my sights kind of wavered from Solo to Skywalker (in all that black *meow*).

So I grew up..magic is harder to find. Adolescent crushes etc are past history.

News of TPM. Another SW? Really?? OMG how awesome is this!
    Highly anticipated - marking the calendar etc..
    Ok, I LOVE Obi-Wan, he's so much more real, full of energy, quick-witt and confident strength.
    Padme, likeable. Young Anakin, kind of annoying.
    Pod race, does it have to be soooo long, will it ever end. Jar Jar has to die, doesn't he?
    Obi - QGJ - Maul = awesome, but wish it was longer.
    Maybe they shoulda shortened the pod race and lengthened the duel?
    Overall, happy as a Bantha in it's own fodder.

EPII Anakin, looking good, why so whiny, stop that!
    Padme, he's cute, don't be a ditz, take him and peel his black leather off like
    a banana. Obi - still hot. hrrm love scenes ooze cheese, but it's still good.
    Jedi in the arena charging - awesome scene. Yoda and Dooku - wow.
    SW is back, still loving it.

ROTS It's the last. I'm ready to cry before it starts. Can't we have 7,8,9??
    Anakin, can you think on your own?? Sids, in need of major plastic surgery.
    Mace, you're cool but Anakin let you down. Yoda tossing red guards - cool.
    Yoda and Sids fight - cooler. Obi and Anakin duel - very cool and sad.
    Padme dies, sad. Lost the will to live? huh? Oh well.
    Obi dropping off Luke - sad, full circle moment.
    It's over.
    Why can't we have 7,8,9?? :)

10. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    I find your lack of controlled thought refreshing.

11. Jedi-Queen

Feb 16, 2005
    There are enough hrs in the day to be controlled (work shmerk).
    For now, I am born freeee...freee as the wind blows...freee as the..something something something.. ;)

12. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    I give LadyVader an A+ for Awesome Oppossumness.

13. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    LOL! Did that affect your experience at all?

14. Jedi-Queen

Feb 16, 2005
    I bet it would. I watched TPM stoned once and that %#$@%@%^ pod race seemed to go
    on forever and ever... it scared me :eek:

15. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    Does my review not reflect this?

The effect was similar, minus the passing out and having those fever dreams that your teeth are covered in poo.

16. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    I mean besides the interesting grading system. ;)

17. NZPoe

NZPoe Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Dude at 5:30am at the end of a 15 hour workshift, this is THE FUNNIEST THING IN TEH WORLD! :D

Anyways:

TPM = A good and solid film, but severly lacking from bad-guy threat. Jar Jar should've only been in Act 1 and 3, he had no business leaving Naboo. Still the best lightsaber fight. B+

AOTC = I flipflop my opinion on this all the time, but the last time I watched this I really got a major kick out of it. Jedi sleuthing is fun. Some of the greenscreen acting is clunky. Never had any problems with the romance, I fully bought it as dumb teenagers being dumb teenagers (which Lucas has stated several times was his intention). B+

ROTS = Doesn't hold up well as a stand-alone film, but this movie is jam-packed with memorable moment after memorable moment. Lightsaber battle at the end was over-rated. A

ANH = Classic, fun, well-structured, Tattooine scenes were boring until the prequels came out. A

ESB = A perfect film and by far the most adult and dangerous. All character stuff, very little plot, but who cares? A+

ROTJ = Jabbas Palace, Vader and Death Star stuff rocks, but Endor ground battle goes on for ages. Ewoks not so bad as I remember however. B-

18. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    First of all, Star Wars Rules so I can't give even the worst one a bad mark.

TPM: A- Jar Jar = Extremely annoying. Podrace and Darth Maul = awesome.

ROTJ: A- Ewoks = really really terrible. The Final space battle = the best part of the whole saga.

ATOC: A Too much Anakin/Padme stuff, but the last 30 minutes of this film rule.

ANH: A+ Incredible, but there is not as much going on as in the other films.

TESB: A+ I can't say anything bad about this one.

ROTS: A++ There are a few bad parts, but this one is so incredible visually and emotionally, that it is the best movie in history. Absolutely outstanding.

19. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    Thanks. I'm eating solid foods again, too but still getting @#$%-all work done.

20. Randy1012

Randy1012 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 26, 2007
    Just to be different, I'm going to grade the movies in the order that I prefer viewing them in. :p

A New Hope: What more can be said? This is a classic. It's the one that started it all, and it's the true introduction to the Star Wars saga. A modern, sci-fi spin on the timeless tale of the hero's journey. It's not without its flaws, but they don't harm the movie too much. A

The Empire Strikes Back:
    The strongest movie of the saga, from a filmmaking perspective, and it's my favorite, too. Heavy on the characterization and light on the plot, but the characterization is so good that I don't really care. Complete with one of the best surprise twists in history. I love this movie! A+

The Phantom Menace:
    Awesome for the first 10-20 minutes, but it slows waaaayyy down once they get to Tatooine. Too much childishness, and the stiff dialogue and acting hurt, but it's still a decent movie. Liam Neeson as Qui-Gon Jinn helps elevate the film higher than it probably would have been otherwise, and then of course you have the most exciting lightsaber duel in the saga. C

Attack of the Clones:
    Worst movie of the saga, IMO. Most of the stuff with Obi-Wan was good, but I felt nothing for Anakin and Padme's story when I think we all were supposed to. The acting and dialogue actually seemed to take a step backwards in this one, believe it or not. D

Revenge of the Sith:
    Best of the prequels, by far, but not quite OT material. They had to fit like 90% of the prequel story into this one episode, and it shows. The movie is rushed way too much, it never gets a chance to breathe. Maybe the re-insertion of the Birth of the Rebellion scenes would have helped in this area. The acting was much improved in this one, and I especially liked Obi-Wan in this episode. It also packed the most emotional punch of the PT, by far. The climactic duel between Obi-Wan and Anakin was a bit of a letdown, and one or two bad scenes/lines drag it down just a tad. B-

Return of the Jedi:
    Another very good movie. It's not quite as great as its two OT predecessors, but it's still fantastic. The Ewoks kind of ruined the gravity of the battle on Endor, but the awesome space battle and the excellent scenes between Luke, Vader, and the Emperor make up for them. Han was kind of useless in this one, and the brother/sister revelation was a little awkward. It suffers a little bit from being, basically, the compressed story of the discarded sequel trilogy, but not too badly. A satisfying conclusion to a mostly excellent film series. B+

21. PerfectCell

PerfectCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005
    I might come back later, time willing, with explanations as to why, but,

The Phantom Menace - 3 out of 4
    Attack Of The Clones - 3.5 out of 4
    Revenge Of The Sith - 3.5 out of 4
    A New Hope - 2.5 out of 4
    The Empire Strikes Back - 4 out of 4
    Return Of The Jedi - 3 out of 4

22. Lord_Of_Sith

Lord_Of_Sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2005
    TPM A+
    AOTC B-
    ROTS A+
    ANH A+
    ESB B
    ROTJ A

23. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Lord_Of_Sith, could you elaborate on why you graded them that way?

24. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Judging from the data, because he likes TPM more than the others. :p

25. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Equal to ANH.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.