Amph The Saga of Recluce and other series: the L.E. Modesitt, Jr Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue...Jedi, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Now you see why I said close but not quite :p
  2. JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost

star 5
    I really like the Gray(in general) aspect Wizards in this. Reminds me of the Red Wizards in Final Fantasy which I will always pick for my main character in the older games. Being able to use both White and Black magic along with being a descent warrior(although not being to acheive the highest level spells and melee skills) has always been my fav way to go.
  3. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    That was kinda creepy. I hadn't remembered that from the first time through.
  4. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    The part with Tamra? Or passing through Frven?
  5. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    With Tamra.

Lerris is temporarily settling down as a woodworker. I think we can see him growing up a bit here, which is really nice.
  6. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Yeah, we definitely see him mature quite a bit :)
  7. JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost

star 5
    Im def still reading this although its going really slow now as I just cant put down this Shadows of the Apt books even on the days Im supposed to be reading Recluse on my sch. I still read atleast 1 chapter on those days. So like I said...very slow going. Im only on pg 240 something where Lerris just encountered 2 Dukes men that recalled a story about the troops encounter with Krystal and the other girl.
  8. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    So last night I got 11 books signed by Modesitt, including Scholar (that one and the hardback of Arms-Commander are personalized)... and got to talk to him for a while, both one on one (~5-10 minutes) and with a few other people (~20 minutes), and then listen to him talk for about 50 minutes which included confirmation that he does have another Recluce book in the plans :D
  9. JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost

star 5
    Wow he signed 11 books for you plus what other people had? I would have figured hed only do 1-2 for each person.
  10. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    There weren't many people there, and I wasn't the only one with more than a few books - I know the guy in front of me had 9 signed, and the lady behind me had several as well.
  11. JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost

star 5
    Thats pretty cool dude! Once again I wish Lake Charles had events such as this but with a pop of only just over 100,000 and being right in the middle of Houston and New Orleans we get looked over...
  12. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    That's awesome!! I'm totally jealous.

I finished The Magic of Recluse last night and liked it quite a bit. The Order/Chaos system does get easier to understand as time goes by. I can't wait for the 5th book, since I want to get back to Lerris, but the three in between are quite good. I haven't started Towers yet, though I mean to this weekend.

The one thing I din't get (I'll probably have to reread that bit) was how Lerris figured out that Justen was his uncle. It seemed a bit sudden. He mentions something about "the two brothers who destroyed Frven," but I went back and tried to find when Justen had said anything about two brothers and couldn't find it.
  13. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Keep in mind that by the end Lerris has figured out that Justen was waiting for him, and had in all likelihood arranged the availability of Gairloch - a mountain pony much like Justen rides (Rosefoot) that just happened to be a perfect fit for a young budding order mage like Lerris. I think there's also something somewhere about Justen reminding him of Gunnar (Lerris' father), though I could be mistaken on that point.

EDIT: also, Scholar is awesome and makes me want to immediately read Princeps. Except for the minor detail that Princeps doesn't come out until May :p But I have added rereading the Imager Portfolio to my list
  14. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    True. Even though Justen was prodding Lerris for information about his background when they traveled together, I find it unlikely that he didn't know exactly who Lerris was and had run across him purposely.
  15. JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost

star 5
    Hahaha, so now my reading is ground to a halt as Skyrim is taking EVERY moment of my life since about 7 am yesterday. :D
  16. JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost

star 5
    The story seems like its stalling quite a bit. Ive still been playing Skyrim so I havent really read in a good week or so but I did get atleast 2 chapters down in that time but it is getting way to repeative. All they do is go to the next town, get a room, and order redberry whatever. I hope it picks up or it ll be selved for Altered Carbon before much longer which ll be a shame after I got somewhat reexcted about this book.
  17. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    It definitely does change, and very soon, i'm guessing, based on where I think you are.
  18. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    2 chapters in a Modesitt book is not very much at all :p But yes, it should be changing soon.
  19. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    I'm halfway through Towers. I like it. I still wonder what the story about Creslin's father was and why he was so special. I still really like Creslin. As far as I can tell, he's maybe a few years older than Lerris, like early 20s. He's a bit more thoughtful and easier to deal with, though he knows less starting out and has less help with his magic.
  20. ImpKnight Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I'm about 3/4 done The Magic Engineer. It's good, but I have to say it's pretty similar to the first 2 books.

Yeah JS, lots of redberry haha.
  21. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Nat: pay attention when you get to The Order War and there are some good hints about that there ;)
  22. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Will do :) (That's #4, right?)
  23. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
  24. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Okay, cool. I hope to get there soon (haha).
  25. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Hopefully :) I'm up to Magic Engineer now, though I'm not sure I'm going to bring any of the Recluce books with me over Thanksgiving break.