Discussion The Saga & the Sequels: Role of the Skywalker family

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Garth Maul, Aug 8, 2013.

1. The Bops Jedi Master

star 1
  2. Bravesteel Jedi Padawan

I'd rather see almost entirely new heroes. Reason being, I feel like the universe would fall into stagnation like in Dragonlance where the only stories that seemed to have any effort put into them had the Heroes of the Lance or their descendants in a prime role in one way or another. I'd just like to see someone completely new.
  3. JediGirl_Angelina Force Ghost

star 3
    I could very well see Luke rather nurturing all the Force-sensitives as his "children" he mets in his life rather to have one biologically.
    VanishingReality likes this.
  4. dva3842 Jedi Grand Master

I'm fine with seeing new heroes appear in the new trilogy. Very much like the original SW:ANH had older leftover characters from the prequel era. However, I think, like Vader,
    Luke probably should be a prominent character for the rest of the sequel trilogy. Leia as president of the new republic. Solo as the general of the armies or maybe head
    of the hyperspace route exploratory commission or something like that.
  5. Trebor Sabreon Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm firmly-rooted in the group who hopes to see Luke with a son in the ST, but in a sense, whether Luke has any children, or no, if we do see a New Jedi Order (and I think most of us imagine we probably will), Luke will almost have to serve as a "father," of sorts, to its members, so I think there's a good amount of merit in your idea. :)
    JediGirl_Angelina likes this.
  6. GGrievous Prequel Trilogy Trivia Version 2.0

Game Host
    star 5
    Odds are he'll be The Obi-Wan in Episode VII.
  7. Trebor Sabreon Force Ghost

star 4
    [face_dunno]Maybe. We know Lucas has written the treatment, and given George's history of 'rhyming,' it wouldn't surprise me if Luke's story in the ST reflects that of Obi-Wan's from the OT, somewhat.

But that said, with so much having changed, I wouldn't personally feel confident in saying what the odds are for almost any facet of this new story, least of all expecting a franchise character like Luke getting the same treatment that two unknowns did in IV and I. Part of the fun, yes?
    Last edited by Trebor Sabreon, Sep 21, 2013
  8. Darth Chiznuk Chosen One

star 5
    I don't think he'll be the Obi-Wan or Qui-Gon character of the ST. He'll most likely be the mentor figure for the next generation but the difference between Luke and Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon is that Luke is one of two main characters of the saga. I think like his father he'll have a six film arc and when you think about it they had to replace Obi-Wan with Yoda in ESB but who better to be the mentor figure through the entire trilogy than Luke Skywalker (and if they want to mirror a mentor death then they can have Luke die in the final film like Yoda.) So if this pans out Episodes I-VI would be the Tragedy of Darth Vader and Episodes IV-IX would be the Adventures of Luke Skywalker.
    The Bops and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  9. BigAl6ft6 Force Ghost

star 4
    Mentor characters do not have a good survival rate for opening episodes of trilogies. So if Luke is Obi-Wan, he's toast. If Luke is Yoda, he's in the entire ST.
  10. Jetedonne Pur-Pureus Force Ghost

star 4
    Aw, I so hope this doesn't turn out to be true. I'd much rather the Yoda idea, to be honest. Mark Hamill seems as if he's been gearing up for this role for years now, and I want him to have as much screen time as can possibly be allotted; they should just have him in the background for every shot, or maybe he can dress up as set pieces scattered throughout the scenes he's not partaking in, ha.

As for the role of the Skywalker family, I think that the Skywalker legacy will continue to play a central role, and Anakin will somehow be cast into the storyline, as well. It's been about the Skywalker's for so long now that it'd be kind of bizarre to not include them in some way in the ST. It's hard to imagine Luke not forming a Jedi Council by the time the events of VII unfold, too. I'm hoping that Leia is a Jedi this time around also, because the books kept her as much more of a political figure.
    Jeff Zach likes this.
  11. mes520 Jedi Grand Master

star 3

I'm hoping for both on some level, though I could see her spending more of her time as politician. Though I am hoping to see her use the Force and in a lightsaber duel. And after the duel, someone could be like, "You're a Jedi?!"

"Part time"
  12. Echo-07 Force Ghost

star 4
    ^ IF the ST had been made back in the 90's with a younger Carrie Fisher I could've gotten on board with this. But at this stage I can't see Carrie wielding lightsaber. However, I titally think Mark will (and probably has) dedicated himself to getting into shape for any possible duels he may have.