main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Saga

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by ChancellorAmbassador, Aug 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChancellorAmbassador

ChancellorAmbassador Jedi Youngling

Aug 26, 2005
    My humble little silly site...

http://www.geocities.com/the_star_wars_saga/

2. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Whoa, I just noticed that this thread had no responses! Well, I like how you opened up the title page with "Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! You're my only hope!" It just set the mood for the Star Wars tone. There were two things I did not like though.

1) I think it needs to be bigger. The site is basically confined to the upper-left hand corner. If it was to expand outward, then I think that it may be more visually appealing.

2) It hasn't been updated since the end of July. If you want to attract visitors, you need to update it constantly. Otherwise, people may go elsewhere for their information.

3. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Actually, I find forced sound clips to be annoying - you never know when the person visiting might be at school or work, and accidently has their speakers turned on. Also, I get annoyed when sound clips interfere with any music that I'm listening to or any movie that I'm watching in the background. Also, I'm not sure how big your file is, but it might be unnecessarily large for people on dial-up. I've been guilty of having sound clips load in the past too, and it's something a lot of people have done. My tastes have just changed to the point that I don't like it.

Does your site have any sort of specific focus, or is it yet another "everything dealing with Star Wars" site? What types of hopes and dreams do you have for the future of your site - where do you see it in 5 years, and how do you plan on getting it there?

Edit:
    I also have to disagree with the point about having to update often to attract visitors. It might help with repeat visitors, but many sites are full of information that is not time-specific. I think it's best to have a nice blend of recent news, along with other articles and other non time-specific information.

For example, a site could get a lot of hits for having hints and cheats for a specific video game. Once all of those are collected, there isn't much left to do in terms of frequent updates, but it still can get a lot of visitors, especially if it is a valuable resource to people who just start playing the game a year or two later, when all the other video game sites have moved on to newer things.

4. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    I wasn't referring to cheats though. When you have a section for news and you don't update it for a months and a half, then it just doesn't look as good.

5. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I haven't updated my site for over a month. Sometimes there just isn't a lot of news to add, and having thorough supporting sections can help entertain visitors between updates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.