main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Sanctuary - (Dissenters Unite! - Warning on page 232)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BretHart, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, but Bria's response is gold RK.

2. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    So, we've gone from members of a family who had to struggle through some of the bloodiest periods in galactic history and suffered many critical setbacks along the way as they developed their characters and morals to a girl who is protected, guarded and handed powers from the very Force itself? How is that an improvement?

3. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Because it shows people can achieve great things regardless of whose ones parents happen to be.

4. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016

5. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    In real life people don't magically get abilities.
    I can relate more to someone having to work hard to achieve something.

And before someone points out but Star Wars is fantasy.
    Yeah I know, but even fantasy should have some realism.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  6. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    By her progression in those two movies, she is clearly ten times as powerful. And the reason is "just because".

She stood over him victoriously with her lightsaber raised while he was on the ground. He could have called the lightsaber to him, overpowering her grip a la Snoke. He could have force-pushed her back. If he can`t even win against a beginner in a non-violent way, then yes, she did defeat him and he was a loser. I certainly thought so at the end of that scene.

I get what it was meant to do. I`m just completely put off the character with the way TLJ handled her. I was rooting for freaking Snoke in the throne room scene because finally, finally someone defeated her. Unfortunately, the character is gone now. I rooted for Luke in ROTJ to win because he hadn`t before. Rey wins all the time so I root for her to lose. Can`t stand Kylo Ren but I sooner root for him as the underdog to win a fight.

7. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Rian Johnson confirmed his intention when he written rey/kylo scenes. And there's a scene in TLJ dvd where Luke say to Rey:

“You opened yourself to the darkside for a pair of pretty eyes!”

8. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    No different than some people have randomly great athletic ability. The way it was set up before the only way you could have made it to the top is if you were a Skywalker.

9. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    Right. I'm mean how is the Force choosing someone at birth and giving them power all that different from impregnating a lady so her kid has power?

-LordSkywalker- likes this.
  10. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Was Yoda a Skywalker? Was Mace Windu a Skywalker? Was Obi-Wan Kenobi a Skywalker?

2Cleva, kalzeth, Demsa Aztor and 5 others like this.
  11. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Oh, yes. Total burn. It doesn't make his initial posts any less skeevy, though. Because seriously, what the kriff?!

Yup. We all have our points where 'suspension of disbelief' breaks. Where we get taken out of the movie or book or whatever. With the Last Jedi, my SOD was snapped like a twig.

12. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Which is why it is better that Rey not be a Skywalker.

13. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    2Cleva and kalzeth like this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    And when was that true of either Luke or Anakin? If it was, Anakin wouldn't have screwed himself over to become Darth Vader and Luke would have had a far easier time of it.

The whole 'holy Skywalker blood' is utter rubbish of the highest order. Lucas didn't do a Chosen One prophecy to show good it was, but rather the exact reverse - it destroyed Anakin and ObiWan and Owen both kept Luke as far away from the idea as they could.

Despite that, from ROTS onwards, this idea has polluted SW, but the source material doesn't support it. I've never been able to credit it.

15. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Last I checked, those individuals actually had to hone their abilities whereas Rey is like "lol, I cut a rock in half and downloaded powers from the Matr-I mean, Ben's brain".

16. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    Uh, what? Yeah, that's why Lando, Finn, Poe, Obiwan, Quigon, Mace , Yoda and Every and all the Jedi that ever existed, were All Skywalkers

17. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    You forgot Palpatine, who fried Skywalkers like it was nothing.

The whole point of the Skwyalker saga is because it's a family saga, based on the Skywalkers. It was never about them being the only OP Force users, as it was never portrayed as such. Even the Chosen One got beaten by Kenobi.

Making Rey a non-Skywalker removes her from the family drama, and her own personal issues become irrelevant. It diminishes her role in the family saga. And I suspect, the point of that was to have Reylo, the only drama Rey has.

2Cleva, ChildOfWinds, kalzeth and 2 others like this.
  18. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Were you paying attention to talk prior to TLJ? A lot of people were thinking she had to be a Skywalker because she was that powerful.

Doom_Buggy likes this.
  19. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Exactly. It's like saying that The Godfather focused on the Corleones because of that holy Corleone blood.

20. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Well I guess we'll see the interest whenever the do inevitably release films/shows set between Jedi and Force.

I'm with your family. I have no enthusiasm for Solo whatsoever. If it gets mixed to negative critical reviews it might be the first Star Wars released during my lifetime that I won't see in theaters.

21. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    don't forget Grandpa Palaptine Skywalker.

Edited:
    opps didn't see that someone already mentioned Palpatine.

22. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    No the point of it was to have the Jedi Order restarted by a non Skywalker. And so they could finally put the Skywalker saga in the background.

23. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Well, they are just as wrong as you. What matters is that regardless of whether or not she is a Skywalker (or Solo, Kenobi, Palpatine, whatever), her character arc has been completely dull.

So we've gone from a family that was focused on as a mere literary framing device to a young woman who was given all her powers to her through divine intervention. How progressive. How compelling.

24. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Source?

wobbits and -LordSkywalker- like this.
  25. eko32eko7

eko32eko7 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2018
    I would agree except Optimus went out like an actual hero... Luke? Not so much.

The death of Optimus Prime transpired in a way that adds weight and tension to the story. He sacrifices himself to save his comrades and succeeds in turning the tide. In true hero fashion, he is actually present at the battle. He didn't phone it in. Ultra Magnus then receives the matrix of leadership, but eventually fails. As the other autobots' characters develop, the story builds and builds until it climaxes with Rodimus Prime's transformation and Unicron's destruction. The death of Optimus Prime is pivotal as it provides Hot Rod a path to fulfill his potential. I love Transformers The Movie. Most of my friends could not get over how much they disliked the fact that Optimus was dead, but I still enjoy that movie once or twice a year.

Its not the fact that Luke dies that bothered me. I had expected him to die. If I were writing the ST, I may have killed him sooner, but he would have gone out like a boss. No, its not the fact that he died, its the way he is characterized prior to his death as well as the fact that the death itself is lame and doesn't seem to add anything compelling to the narrative.

I simply cannot abide a thought-policeman / dream-rapist Luke Skywalker who's immediate reflex is to murder family members in their sleep.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.